Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='TimboSliceGB']in the end all i really care about is that it's a win for us gamers let ms and sony fight their battles and hope it's good for us.[/QUOTE]

all im seeing is fanboys fighting battles.

its 2013 and we still have fanboys, my goodness. why cant everyone have patience and just wait for more/full info? then buy what you prefer off that.

[quote name='Jack_Frost']its 2013 and we still have fanboys, my goodness. why cant everyone have patience and just wait for more/full info? then buy what you prefer off that.[/QUOTE]

Because that makes way too much sense. Plain and simple. God forbid people actually heard that MS (and Sony for that) will be showing primarily games at E3 now since, you know, they already did the console reveal prior to E3. They flat out said that and people just don't listen/read.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Huh, I thought for sure it would be bundled with the PS4. That's interesting; it really seems like Sony is not focusing at all on the casual market then imo unlike Microsoft[/QUOTE]

They haven't confirmed this yet. Rumors are that it's in the box, but might take it out to slash the price to one-up Microsoft, which I think would be stupid since it gives them a disadvantage.

Considering the Dualshock 4 has a blue light on the back and how it syncs/tracks players, I imagine the camera is going to be required for that purpose alone.

Well the difference is Kinect was massively successful, hence MS wanting to just include it in the next-gen. If it was huge flop I doubt there would be a Kinect 2.0 Sony's attempts at similar products like the eye and the move have been middling at best. They would probably be able to remove the camera without much of an issue.

[quote name='tokyostomp']5000 charges on his card because PSN was hacked....[/QUOTE]

:rofl: I bet TimboSliceGB is the guy from XBL that's banged everyone's mom too. Everyone's mom.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']the thing that might get annoying is someone could say xbox off and you lose all your game stuff. my roommate good chance would do that once or twich[/QUOTE]

My buddy has his wife in his iphone as "my wife". I was like "Siri txt my wife I want a divorce".

Two things concerning the Kinect discussion:

1. I don't understand why Microsoft never released a microphone only version. I mean, I get why they want the Kinect and motion control itself to be successful, but there were a lot of 360 games that only used the voice commands (Madden 13, Forza Horizon, Mass Effect 3, etc). I'm sure people would be much more comfortable and get on board much quicker without the paranoia of "it's watching me!" or the narrow-mindedness of "motion control iz teh gay!"

2. I think the name "Kinect" has garnered such negative connotations now that people are unjustly criticizing its inclusion with the Xbox One. Security concerns aside (which honestly, would be there Kinect or not), I've seen people make the argument that if they didn't "force" you to have it, the system would be cheaper.

This logic fails to recognize that the thing is a PART of the system now. At this point, you might as well be saying "Ya know, if it didn't come with that power brick, or that controller, it would be so much cheaper!" The Xbox One was built for voice commands and visual interaction. If you don't like it, then you don't like the system. It's barely even "Kinect" anymore. It's the "communication peripheral for Xbox One".

stupidpeople.jpg

Except that Kinect isn't "the" communication peripheral for X1, the controller still is. Everything they've shown with K2.0 is all optional. It's not even close to being the same as a power brick unless they take the controller away. So no, it's not "part of the system now." It's a glorified packed in accessory.

There's a big difference between forcing us to buy kinect and forcing us to use kinect. I don't care if it's included, don't make me plug it in. I have a projector setup and I'm not running a 50' wire just to have the shit plugged in to make the system work. If I can plug it in and dump it behind the audio rack with all the power bricks, then fine, but somehow I doubt the Kinect overlords will like that.

There are zero reasons why Kinect should be forced and a long list of reasons why it should not.

[quote name='Corvin']Except that Kinect isn't "the" communication peripheral for X1, the controller still is. Everything they've shown with K2.0 is all optional. It's not even close to being the same as a power brick unless they take the controller away. So no, it's not "part of the system now." It's a glorified packed in accessory.

There's a big difference between forcing us to buy kinect and forcing us to use kinect. I don't care if it's included, don't make me plug it in. I have a projector setup and I'm not running a 50' wire just to have the shit plugged in to make the system work. If I can plug it in and dump it behind the audio rack with all the power bricks, then fine, but somehow I doubt the Kinect overlords will like that.

There are zero reasons why Kinect should be forced and a long list of reasons why it should not.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure they showed features that require the kinect. Saying everything the kinect can do can also be done by the controller I think is wrong. The snap feature alone requires kinect. I do not think there is a dedicated button for those things but I may be wrong.

Because it's a terrible product. Even if it finally works as advertised, it's still completely awful for a large majority of gametypes. I can't imagine much beyond dance games that it would actually be better for. And I still seriously doubt the mic will be able to account for ambient noise or even if someone on the TV says something and then it makes the Xbox One do something. I mean it happened during the goddamn presentation.

I think the heartbeat/pulse stuff could work for survival horror games...if anyone decided to make a survival horror game anymore.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think the heartbeat/pulse stuff could work for survival horror games...if anyone decided to make a survival horror game anymore.[/QUOTE]

I was about to edit my post to include this. I think there are things the kinect can do that will enhance gameplay. I am completely against it as a replacement for my controller while gaming but there are features that could make a game more dynamic.

So why don't some of you care about kinects privacy issues? You dont think it will watch/listen? You dont care if it does? Or what?

As a gaming device I think it's pretty great, or has the potential to be. The privacy concerns are what would keep me from buying it. And honestly if that were my only concern with the X1, it wouldn't stop me from buying it even though I'd feel like a bitch for doing so.

There may be privacy issues. I am not sure at this point. I will say that if it does bother someone they can unplug it at any time (except during gaming). Again, I think this type of interface is the future 25 years from now. Entire homes will be built with a voice interface and cameras to monitor safety. The good thing is that it is a choice whether to use it or not. If people do not want the camera then they buy a PS4 or Wii U. MS has decided this is the future...heck Bill Gates has dreamed about this for decades.

[quote name='ShockandAww']So why don't some of you care about kinects privacy issues? You dont think it will watch/listen? You dont care if it does? Or what?

As a gaming device I think it's pretty great, or has the potential to be. The privacy concerns are what would keep me from buying it. And honestly if that were my only concern with the X1, it wouldn't stop me from buying it even though I'd feel like a bitch for doing so.[/QUOTE]

I see 4 million advertisements a day. If microsoft wants to use the kinect to listen to me and watch me use pringles and then send me an ad for lays, I don't really give a crap.

But honestly, I doubt they'd even go that far. Just cause it's always listening doesn't mean it's doing a damn thing other than listening for "xbox on."

People are making this out to be some sort of orwellian device and unless the government is using it to monitor my private conversations, i don't really care.

[quote name='cancerman1120']^ You are only viewing it as a gaming device. MS sees it as an everything device.[/QUOTE]

I did mention gametypes but I also talked about ambient noise and someone on tv saying something and it making the kinect do something. What about gesture-based controls? Do I have to stay perfectly still while I watch a movie? Sure as hell sounds like it.

[quote name='confoosious']I see 4 million advertisements a day. If microsoft wants to use the kinect to listen to me and watch me use pringles and then send me an ad for lays, I don't really give a crap.

But honestly, I doubt they'd even go that far. Just cause it's always listening doesn't mean it's doing a damn thing other than listening for "xbox on."

People are making this out to be some sort of orwellian device and unless the government is using it to monitor my private conversations, i don't really care.[/QUOTE]

IF that's where I believed this would stop I'd agree. I don't care if they watch and listen to me for something like an ad. Shit Xbox, now that I think about it, I could go for a nice refreshing Mountain Dew! The real issue is that this is just the beginning imo.

I'm just less trusting and more paranoid than some I guess. To me it's like even if that's the only reason it will listen what about 10 or 20 years from now? I don't understand why people don't act now as opposed to waiting until it's too late.

These issues are like a ball rolling downhill gaining more mass and more speed with every rotation. So it's small at first (a kinect that listens all the time for the word Xbox, or watching to serve you some ads) but before we know what's happening that little ball will become massive and nearly unstoppable.

The control they want doesn't just end at some point. It doesn't stop at showing you some ads. They will take and take and keep taking until they are forcibly stopped from doing so. And that's easy enough right now with the Kinect. It won't take a lot of force to stop that ball. With a privacy issue like Kinect we simply say no thanks and don't buy it and that's that for now.

Go ahead and fill up our living rooms with this shit though and that little ball in the end is going to run over our privacy and our rights and then, when we finally decide we've had enough it'll be too late and it'll run right over every one of us.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']More fodder for your Kinect discussion.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa[/QUOTE]

The article specifically mentions "warm bodies." Does it make a difference between humans and non-humans?

"ERROR: Your limit has been reached. In order to view your movie, you must pay an additional $10 per body."
"But, it's just me and my girl!"
"ERROR: You must pay $10 each so your dog and hamster can watch the movie."

[quote name='Corvin']Except that Kinect isn't "the" communication peripheral for X1, the controller still is. Everything they've shown with K2.0 is all optional. It's not even close to being the same as a power brick unless they take the controller away. So no, it's not "part of the system now." It's a glorified packed in accessory.

There are zero reasons why Kinect should be forced and a long list of reasons why it should not.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Erad30']Because it's a terrible product. Even if it finally works as advertised, it's still completely awful for a large majority of gametypes. I can't imagine much beyond dance games that it would actually be better for. And I still seriously doubt the mic will be able to account for ambient noise or even if someone on the TV says something and then it makes the Xbox One do something. I mean it happened during the goddamn presentation.[/QUOTE]

Again, people are so wrapped up in what THEY think the Xbox One should be. It blows my mind that people are going to sit and cry that the system isn't exactly how they would have designed it. I could make that same complaint about touchscreen phones, and get mad that there are basically no smartphones with a slideout keyboard anymore. For better or worse, the industry has moved on. You can say that the Kinect "isn't necessary" for the experience. But Microsoft doesn't agree with you. I hate to come to the #dealwithit conclusion, here. But it is what it is. Kinect is a part of it now. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I just don't see what people hope to accomplish by continuously bitching about it.

[quote name='ShockandAww']So why don't some of you care about kinects privacy issues? You dont think it will watch/listen? You dont care if it does? Or what?

As a gaming device I think it's pretty great, or has the potential to be. The privacy concerns are what would keep me from buying it. And honestly if that were my only concern with the X1, it wouldn't stop me from buying it even though I'd feel like a bitch for doing so.[/QUOTE]

I guess at this point, I'm in the "innocent until proven guilty" camp. Most of the stuff being floated around is speculation. Nobody knows if Microsoft is actually going to use the Kinect to personalize advertising or make sure people aren't violating video licenses. If it happens, then I'll judge them for it. I'm not trying to be a Microsoft apologist or a Timboslice. I wouldn't defend any of those actions. But at least let them commit the damn crime before you execute them.

I was originally more interested in the DVR, especially if it works with live TV to record content. Also, I'm wondering if you could remove the hard drive from the Xbox 360 and put it in your Xbox One to play the downloaded games that way.

But the more you guys post about the system, the more I want to avoid it. Next thing you know, it's going to recognize you when you walk by a display at Gamestop or Best Buy. Did anyone hear anything about the X1 having the ability to talk? What, it reads your heart rate and says "Stop eating doughnuts, play some Kinect Sports, and stop being a fat ass"?

Xbox, don't judge me. :p

I believe the hate for the Kinect is based on the kins of games that will be produced for it. Rather than "hardcore" games. I like my Wii but was absolutely disgusted with all the crap shovelware that was produced with it. Personally I felt it dis valued the Wii/Nintendo brand. And in many ways this is the direction that the original Kinect had headed.

For me personally, While I enjoyed Kinect games, I did not love them. I much prefer playing Child of Eden with the controller. I wish I could play Gunstringer with a controller. Unless you're a child the novelty of Kinect will run thin.

[quote name='htz']The PS4 eye is a separate accessory you have to buy, it doesn't come with the console.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4...0?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1369552211&sr=1-17[/QUOTE]

This could just be sold separately in case the bundled one breaks, but probably not.

[quote name='ShockandAww']So why don't some of you care about kinects privacy issues?[/QUOTE]

I'm really disturbed by this, especially the fact that it's going to store what we look like in a database and this info will be easily accessed to the point that if you go to a friends house it will recognise you without even moving your profile over.

I was thinking about the press conference in a general sense because something about it has been bothering me. I finally put my finger on it. The press conference was like an Apple event. They talk their shit up and act like they're doing great new innovative shit then they show you some flashy software and WOW WHAT AN UPGRADE! It's like the Siri announcement with iPhone 4S. That was touted as a great feature when in truth most people used it for a few days as a novelty then abandoned it for the most part. These features they showed - sure bring up a walkthroygh while playing sometimes. That's not enough reason for them to use 3gb of the ram though and your buddy isn't going to answer your goddamn Skype call when your team scores.

Almost all those features were novelty shit that people won't use often after the first month.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I'd also like to say...go ahead and screw up majorly, Microsoft and Sony. I would honestly love to have justification to build a gaming PC and be ready for when these badboys hit the market. Seriously, $300 just to walk around in virtual space starts to sound like a bargain...[/QUOTE]

PC is in a great place right now, but I guess historically it is at the end of console lifespans. And this has been a particularly long generation. But Steam is huge, and between Amazon, Greenmangaming and Steam (along with some others on occasion), games drop to bargain basement prices outrageously fast. Tomb Raider was just $13 or so the other day, and I got Borderlands 2 at launch for $33-38, somewhere in there.

I have no plans to get a PS4 or XB1 for the foreseeable future, but probably eventually as prices drop or exclusives hit.

(Which means no madden maybe D: )

seen someone this morning talking about trading in old systems now and i doudt that's a great idea. gamestop will be doing MAJOR trade in offers once ps4 and x1 can be preorderd to get people in to buy the new systems.

[quote name='Cage017']
I was originally more interested in the DVR, especially if it works with live TV to record content. Also, I'm wondering if you could remove the hard drive from the Xbox 360 and put it in your Xbox One to play the downloaded games that way.
[/QUOTE]

The Xbox One does not have a DVR. It can only watch live tv broadcasts and change the channel.

Xbox One can not play Xbox 360 games because it does not have the Xbox 360 processor.

I love how no one really likes most of the X1's "features", they're just apathetic about the negative aspects. "Well I don't really care about ____ because it doesn't affect me."

[quote name='gordojones88']The Xbox One does not have a DVR. It can only watch live tv broadcasts and change the channel.

Xbox One can not play Xbox 360 games because it does not have the Xbox 360 processor.[/QUOTE]

I think people are confusing the ability to record gameplay videos (same as the PS4) as a DVR. Given how it's media focused though, you'd think it'd have DVR capabilities.

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']So much win![/QUOTE]

I'm going to love seeing how all the MS execs and PR people handle the flak.

[quote name='tokyostomp']I would just love to say that I love visiting this thread on a daily basis. I love reading TimboSliceGB's post. Be if spelling error, grammatical errors, or just plain batshit crazy rationale for every MS move.

They make me smile like when you hear a child explain that the sun goes away at night because he is sleepy and need to get sleep too, or else he'll be too tired to give us sun rays and it does happen that's why it rains. but sometime when it does rain he still gives us rays because he loves us too much and has to shine[/QUOTE]

Lol. Yeah I had to stop responding. I envision him in real life as a giant green Kool Aid pitcher, silver tinted with a translucent X. Probably come busting through the wall of the MS E3 press conference. I loved how he remade my point points on the One memory problem, then spun it his way with more BS than MSNBC and O Rielly together could hope to achieve.

[quote name='gordojones88']The Xbox One does not have a DVR. It can only watch live tv broadcasts and change the channel.

Xbox One can not play Xbox 360 games because it does not have the Xbox 360 processor.[/QUOTE]

To elaborate, it uses a different architecture. It would be like trying to install Windows 8 Pro desktop on an iPhone. The processor wouldnt even know how to handle the instruction sets in the code

[quote name='htz']Kinect, the starting point of skynet. :lol:

aDRdIpb.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Anyone else read the PopSci from April 11 I think....

They had interviews with a group of robotics experts that left the pentagon because they were making robotic AI smarter several times faster that they were implementing behavioral controls. They refused to take part in something so irresponsible and DARPA told them too bad, our way or the highway.

One guy said they are literally repeating the early events of Terminators skynet.

I heard "game DVR" during the original presentation and thought maybe it would work with TV. Oh well. It would have been cool to use points/credit to devote a certain amount of hard drive space towards recording (I've had bad luck with DVD recorders and never owned a DVR player).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Again, people are so wrapped up in what THEY think the Xbox One should be. It blows my mind that people are going to sit and cry that the system isn't exactly how they would have designed it.[/QUOTE]

Umm, okay. Point to a single thing that I said that wasn't confirmed. Does X1 require Kinect? Yes. My argument was against that. It has nothing to do with what I want in a console.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am pretty sure they showed features that require the kinect. Saying everything the kinect can do can also be done by the controller I think is wrong. The snap feature alone requires kinect. I do not think there is a dedicated button for those things but I may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Snap is a feature. I don't need to "snap" tv and bing to enjoy the console. I'm sure there are other cool little features of Kinect that you can't do with a controller. Point is, I can navigate menus, play games, buy shit off the marketplace, send game invites, etc. just fine without Kinect. Currently, there's zero reason that it needs to be connected at all times. Sure it needs to be on to say "xbox on" but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the console has a power button, or can be turned on from the controller. Until they start removing functionality from the console(no power button) itself or the controller(no navigating menus, etc.), everything about Kinect is a feature, not a necessary requirement.

Also, I've said it before but I actually like K2.0 and all the new features. I just disagree that it should be a requirement for the system to function.

This system seems to be reliant on the fact that everything from Kinect to the console to MS's servers are infallible. How quick we forget the times Live has been down, the Fifa hack or how many consoles died from the RROD. No product is infallible and the X1 will be no different.

[quote name='ShockandAww']IF that's where I believed this would stop I'd agree. I don't care if they watch and listen to me for something like an ad. Shit Xbox, now that I think about it, I could go for a nice refreshing Mountain Dew! The real issue is that this is just the beginning imo.

I'm just less trusting and more paranoid than some I guess. To me it's like even if that's the only reason it will listen what about 10 or 20 years from now? I don't understand why people don't act now as opposed to waiting until it's too late.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. These features sound innocent enough on the surface, but this is ground fucking zero for privacy rights. Everyone is free to stick their head in the ground like an ostrich, I'm just amazed at how many people are ready to do that to get their CoD on.

It's best to make some noise now before it comes out, not after it's in 10 million homes.

The Xbox One will be region-locked, meaning all software must match the region of the console itself, Microsoft confirmed to Digital Trends. This means a US Xbox One won't be able to play games imported from Europe or Japan, for example.

"Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One."

The Xbox 360 isn't completely region-locked – Microsoft currently allows studios to choose whether their games will work across regions. The PlayStation 3 is region-free, and all games except for Persona 4 Arena work on every console, regardless of spatial location. It's unclear if the PlayStation 4 will be similarly region-free.

[quote name='Corvin']Umm, okay. Point to a single thing that I said that wasn't confirmed. Does X1 require Kinect? Yes. My argument was against that. It has nothing to do with what I want in a console.

Snap is a feature. I don't need to "snap" tv and bing to enjoy the console. I'm sure there are other cool little features of Kinect that you can't do with a controller. Point is, I can navigate menus, play games, buy shit off the marketplace, send game invites, etc. just fine without Kinect. Currently, there's zero reason that it needs to be connected at all times. Sure it needs to be on to say "xbox on" but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the console has a power button, or can be turned on from the controller. Until they start removing functionality from the console(no power button) itself or the controller(no navigating menus, etc.), everything about Kinect is a feature, not a necessary requirement.

Also, I've said it before but I actually like K2.0 and all the new features. I just disagree that it should be a requirement for the system to function.

This system seems to be reliant on the fact that everything from Kinect to the console to MS's servers are infallible. How quick we forget the times Live has been down, the Fifa hack or how many consoles died from the RROD. No product is infallible and the X1 will be no different.

Exactly. These features sound innocent enough on the surface, but this is ground fucking zero for privacy rights. Everyone is free to stick their head in the ground like an ostrich, I'm just amazed at how many people are ready to do that to get their CoD on.

It's best to make some noise now before it comes out, not after it's in 10 million homes.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I think you're just missing the point I was making. You keep talking about how "this feature isn't needed" and "that feature isn't needed". And I'm saying, your expectations are off. The console you're wanting is not what the Xbox One is going to be. You're not the one who decides what is and what isn't a "necessary feature". If Microsoft wants the Xbox One to be an all-inclusive media device that is built around voice control, then those features are most definitely "necessary". I can appreciate voicing some disdain over a small thing here or there. But you're basically arguing against their vision for the console, lol. It might not be the gaming system you want...but it's what they're selling. Deciding whether or not that system is worth buying is the only thing you have control over.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Looks like Micro$oft isn't the only evil one anymore...

Rumor: The PS4 Has Used Games DRM

If this rumor is popping up again it must have some validity. Hopefully Sony sees all the negative backlash and changes their mind before announcing their plans[/QUOTE]

This is not a surprise in the least. In fact if Sony ends up having a device that needs to verify games also the shit storm will be even worse since they gave the impression the system was internet free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back