Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dmaul1114']My dad has some music boxed up on 8 track and reel-to-reel tapes from decades ago. He'd probably be fairly hard pressed to buy something to play them on that didn't cost a lot--unless lucking into one in a yardsale or something.[/QUOTE]

This is ignoring the fact that 8-tracks, cassette tapes, floppy disks, and other items like that are not only still being used, but still being made.

[quote name='GBAstar']How are dvd's obsolete if you still own a DVD Player? Just because something isn't supported and has been replaced by superior technology doesn't make it obsolete or worthless. What Microsoft is doing would be similar to the publishers coming around to your house and taking (with no compensation) all your old DVD's, VHS, cassettes, records, etc. and forcing you to buy the same music, movies, etc. on the newest format.[/QUOTE]

Definition of obsolete (adj)

ob·so·lete
[ òbssə lt ]
http://www.bing.com/th?id=ALUD0EBRfey519w100x100&pid=Dictionary

1. not used any more: no longer in use
  2. out-of-date: superseded by something newer, though possibly still in use
  3. undeveloped: describes a part or organ of an animal or plant that is undeveloped or no longer functional

Technology becomes obsolete when the manufacturer or the industry no longer support it or the things the product uses. Also, a user may find a product obsolete when the product in question is replaced with something that is faster or better.

Having said that a product may never becomes obsolete as long as you feel it is able to preform what you need it to preform. I was speaking in generalities as to describe the overall market and how technology becomes obsolete. Not necessarily at the individual level.

[quote name='GBAstar']It is quite obvious from many of these posts that most of you don't fit the definition of a gamer.

"Derp. I don't care about 10 years from now cuz I won't own an Xbox still"

Okay.[/QUOTE]

Life happens, in 10 years I'll be nearly forty with kids and a ton of other responsibilities. I admit that in all likelihood I will not have the time to play as many games, if any. If this makes us less of gamer then so be it. CAG represents a pretty broad age group hence the diversity of opinions on the issue.

[quote name='dmaul1114']DVDs could become obsolete eventually if companies quit making devices that play them.

[/QUOTE]

Can you think of one device (hardware) in the past 20 years that is no longer made and therefore has caused the software to become non functional? Even a commercial failure like the MiniDisc walkman can be found for cheap.

From HD DVD players to 8 track players sites like eBay are you friends and you can find all that stuff cheap (~ $30 ).

And don't forget about China.... if Toshiba, Sony, Samsung etc. want to stop making those devices and focus their energy on the latest technology that is fine but that doesn't mean someone somewhere won't make a device that still reads the media.

[quote name='GBAstar']Can you think of one device (hardware) in the past 20 years that is no longer made and therefore has caused the software to become non functional?[/QUOTE]

DIVX

A system that used a unique activation code on disc that would phone home to a server to verify it's authentication.

Sounds familiar.

Does anyone else remember Divx (Digital Video Express, not the file format). You bought a disc at Circuit City for ~$3-4 and it included 1 48 hour rental period. After that you could rent it again by popping the disc in or purchase unlimited right to re-viewing for $20 or so. Problem came when the company went under because the program was kind of a bad idea in the first place. The servers to authenticate the player stayed up for a while but eventually they were taken down rendering the discs completely useless, regardless of whether they had been redeemed for the initial rental period or not.

969651_10152009603428228_1823071542_n.jpg

[quote name='KingBroly']The likely thinking is that Microsoft is going to publish it. Then again, considering how hard EA must have lobbied Microsoft for their used games/always online policies, they just might do it.[/QUOTE]

since dice are making mirrors edge 2 and they are owned by EA, i just cant see microsoft publishing it. MS would have to throw a lot of money at EA for that and its not like mirrors edge is extremely popular. its a niche title that did decent (basically a million per system). not a system seller for the vast majority of people imo.

[quote name='GBAstar']Can you think of one device (hardware) in the past 20 years that is no longer made and therefore has caused the software to become non functional? Even a commercial failure like the MiniDisc walkman can be found for cheap.

From HD DVD players to 8 track players sites like eBay are you friends and you can find all that stuff cheap (~ $30 ).

And don't forget about China.... if Toshiba, Sony, Samsung etc. want to stop making those devices and focus their energy on the latest technology that is fine but that doesn't mean someone somewhere won't make a device that still reads the media.[/QUOTE]

True. But it's obsolete in the sense that it's really not worth the hassle.

No one I know that bought into HD-DVDs still has them. It was too much hassle to have both an HD-DVD player and a Blu-ray player hooked up to the TV when they only had a few HD-DVDs and couldn't buy any more, so they just sold/donated them and upgraded those movies to Bluray.

Same with things like cassette tapes. Sure, you can still find things that play them, but I know no one who didn't ditch them all ages ago for CDs or MP3s.

Point being, re-buying media is nothing new. I've owned movies like Star Wars on VHS, DVD and now Blu-ray. Albums on cassette tapes and then CDs etc. Now I do get that with digital games with DRM that has to check in daily the option to buy a device to play them may be gone, where as with these old, inferior media types people can still buy things to play them on if they so choose. So I do get that distinction.

So given that, I have no problem re-buying a game on a virtual console if I have an itch to replay something 5-10 years down the road or whatever. But I'm also not much of a cheapass, so I know I'm in the minority on these kind of issues on this site. To me, I'd rather pay again for a digital classic game on a current system as it's worth it to me for the convenience of not having to keep old consoles boxed up, hassle with hooking them up, not be able to sell/trade them in toward buying newer consoles etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='brandtron8000']DIVX

A system that used a unique activation code on disc that would phone home to a server to verify it's authentication.

Sounds familiar.[/QUOTE]

Wow I've never heard of that, thanks for sharing.

My brother-in-law is into gaming, and more into hardware. He is pretty confident you will be able to run the 360 through the Xbox One through an HDMI in input.

[quote name='DestroVega']My brother-in-law is into gaming, and more into hardware. He is pretty confident you will be able to run the 360 through the Xbox One through an HDMI in input.[/QUOTE]

Lol!

I see what you did there. :applause:

DIVX was a real clusterfuck, and a terrible idea from the start. It was a "rental" service, though, and an environmental disaster - discs became nonfunctional after the rental period and therefore were just landfill after the rental period was up. Still, it's a good point. Microsoft probably thinks the Xbox platform is too big to die, but maybe not.

Yeah, DIVX was a horrible concept. Hence why most haven't even heard of it.

I adopted DVD pretty early on, and was active on DVD forums etc., so I remember that sorry excuse for a format war well. :D

I don't think anyone is going to say anything until well after E3. They will both just show games (and Sony might show more console features) but they won't talk about their used games policies.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']not much news is coming out from ms or sony past copule days seems like they are going to stay quite till e3.[/QUOTE]

Seems that way for the most part.

Here's a little something from a little bit ago

Microsoft investing $1 billion into games:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/29/microsoft-investing-1-billion-into-games-on-xbox-one/

Seems to include everything from the creation of new studios to the timed exclusive content.

I feel like that's a nothing headline. A billion means nothing if it's a bunch of COD clones and Kinect titles.

[quote name='crunchewy']DIVX was a real clusterfuck, and a terrible idea from the start. It was a "rental" service, though, and an environmental disaster - discs became nonfunctional after the rental period and therefore were just landfill after the rental period was up. Still, it's a good point. Microsoft probably thinks the Xbox platform is too big to die, but maybe not.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely useless, you always had the option to "buy" unlimited viewing of the movie for $19.99 (or was it $24.99 maybe?). Of course, now that $19.99 was a complete waste of money given the servers being shut down.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Seems that way for the most part.

Here's a little something from a little bit ago

Microsoft investing $1 billion into games:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/29/microsoft-investing-1-billion-into-games-on-xbox-one/

Seems to include everything from the creation of new studios to the timed exclusive content.[/QUOTE]
So does this include the $400 million for NFL too or are those ancillary deals separate? Seems to be the standard Microsoft approach of launching a new product which is to throw as much money as it as possible.

A good chunk of that billion could also be whatever they have worked out with EA because clearly they threw some major cash their way.

I would assume that the EA deal would be included and the NFL wouldn't. Since it seems to be game-centric, I don't believe the NFL deal will fall under it, but I could be wrong.

Wish they had more details on exactly where that billion is going to, but thought I would try to put something positive as I've been pretty critical of Microsoft in the past week. Even if it's a blurry type of positive as it's not detailed as to what it consists of and how much for each.

They aren't going to be though because some people will read that headline and assume they care about core gamers and creating new experiences. And maybe they actually do, but if they don't they aren't going to own up about it.

[quote name='Erad30']I don't think anyone is going to say anything until well after E3. They will both just show games (and Sony might show more console features) but they won't talk about their used games policies.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think both MS and Sony will be pretty mum on that stuff and just try to wow gamers with games and hope that puts the used game stuff on the back burner for a while.

[quote name='Erad30']I feel like that's a nothing headline. A billion means nothing if it's a bunch of COD clones and Kinect titles.[/QUOTE]

While true, MS would be smart to focus on FPS games, sports games, racing games and WRPGs as that's what seems to sell consoles in the US.

The PS4, like the PS3, will be the place for fighters, JRPGs, action games, quicky Japanese games etc. MS isn't going to break into those markets or beat Sony in Japan or Europe very likely, so might as well focus on their bread and butter.

Kinect games can piss off though.

So that billion? Does that include Microsoft pulling their heads out of their asses and asking Mistwalker to make JRPGs and games in other genres for them too? Does this mean Microsoft will set up an actual Japanese division studio and get some exclusives out of it? Great idea over timed exclusives from 3rd parties.
If it's timed exclusives again I say fuck no. The 360 proved that going with timed exclusives was one of the most wasteful and idiotic things Microsoft did(they might as well have just burned thousands of dollars as compared to creating their own IP's), with only a few exceptions(Mass Effect, don't know if that was an airtight exclusivity contract at the time or what).
The only exclusives from a third party I see with promise, on both Western and Eastern shores, are those Microsoft demands publishing rights for. I'm pretty sure at least a couple, if not most of, Sega's games on the original Xbox were Microsoft published.
Now, dmaul, I'm severely disappointed in you. "Outdated graphics", "I don't want to replay", I never pictured you as a graphics snob, especially given you're a professor. There are a great many games from the 8 and 16 bit era that deserve to be played repeatedly. A few that come to mind are: "Actraiser", "SoulBlazer", "Final Fantasy 6", "Final Fantasy 4", "Brainlord", "Lunar", "Final Fantasy", "Dragon Quest", "Lunacy", "Illbleed", "Skies Of Arcadia", "Jet Set Radio", "Nights Into Dreams", "Burning Rangers", "Zelda II: Adventures Of Link", "Startropics", "Phantom Crash(with effective online)", "Shadowrun"(Genesis especially), "King's Quest V", "Eternal Darkness", "Robotrek", etc. Some of these games are great to look at from a commentary standpoint and I didn't even get into some of the earlier one's that put out religious criticism. I also can't believe I forgot to mention "Suikoden" or "Shadow Hearts".

edit: Oh and I think most here have made summarized the argument for the distaste of DRM. To those mentioning that DVD's can go obsolete, the key for this type of stuff would be that at least we now have conversion devices to make copies in formats that are not currently obsolete. I would also venture to argue that if I own said game and its from an older or even current generation, if I wish I have the right to jukebox it for myself.

i think microsoft will try to get more kinect function into games this time around then garbage kinect only games. i really think kinect 1 was a trial version for them and they needed that garbage games to sell the prouct now the kinect 2 comes with every x1 so a reason for person to buy it for garbage kinect only games is no longer needed.

You're forgetting that MS bought out twisted pixel. While I know they don't make AAA games, but they do have some of the best B games on the market.

Yes it's not a home run clean up hitter, but its a consistent lead off man.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i think microsoft will try to get more kinect function into games this time around then garbage kinect only games. i really think kinect 1 was a trial version for them and they needed that garbage games to sell the prouct now the kinect 2 comes with every x1 so a reason for person to buy it for garbage kinect only games is no longer needed.[/QUOTE]

I don't think "Rise Of Nightmares" or "Dance Masters" are garbage. In fact, if MS hadn't thrown money to Sega for that it would be a long time before we would have seen a quirky game like that from Sega again.

[quote name='Sarang01']I don't think "Rise Of Nightmares" or "Dance Masters" are garbage. In fact, if MS hadn't thrown money to Sega for that it would be a long time before we would have seen a quirky game like that from Sega again.[/QUOTE]

I'll continue to say that Rise of nightmares, although a largely flawed game, really started to show off what the Kinect could do in a main stream game and not just in gimmicky or dance games.

It wasn't the best game to play, but at times you could see how this might relate and be implemented into a A or AA game. Sadly why would a major game Dev not only limit their market to Xbox only, but also a small niche of that market that owns a peripheral item. I don't fault them at all for neglecting it.

This is why I am both happy and leery of it coming stock with One.

Happy because adding in elements or full games that utilize the kinect will be marketable to every One owner making it more appealing to Devs to try.

Leery because it adds cost to the system which might turn out to only be a gimmick v2.0.

When I originally heard about the Kinect I realized what it could be, sadly it fell way short. Get it right this time M$

The potential I see for the Kinect, more then anything, would be paired with a 3D browser, if not file folders on the PC.
Sounds cheesy I know but could you imagine something like the Kinect with a depth field, paired with a 3D monitor? Just think "Johnny Mneumonic". I know that sounds bad but I imagine it would be incredibly helpful in finding your programs, possibly even faster then the current setup.

to be honest i think if used right kinect is best tech in gaming right now sadly other then couple games it's not used well. I will say i do enjoy using it on things like netflix and some games like mass effect 3 it's pretty cool

I believe used correctly it could be great, but they aren't going to do that you've already seen them force Kinect into games where it makes no sense but at least it was optional. I see them cramming it into everything they can whether it makes sense or not.

Maybe they should make it mandatory that any game that uses Kinect, ACTUALLY USES KINECT. So over that voice only crap. It taught me to do actual/better research on games that say "Better With Kinect".

[quote name='Sarang01']
Now, dmaul, I'm severely disappointed in you. "Outdated graphics", "I don't want to replay", I never pictured you as a graphics snob, especially given you're a professor.
[/quote]

It's not so much being a graphics snob as it is the fact that the main reason I still play games is to get immersed in a virtual world and escape and veg out for a wild. A modern game like Skyrim with great graphics can do that for me a lot better tha 8-bit or 16-bit games, or even last gen games with non-HD graphics etc.

Plus, with the long hours that come with being a professor I don't have nearly as much time for hobbies so I just don't do much replaying of games, re-watching of movies, re-reading of books etc. anymore as nothing beats experiencing something for the first time.

I would also venture to argue that if I own said game and its from an older or even current generation, if I wish I have the right to jukebox it for myself.

I'm pretty sure you can as I believe it is legal to download roms for emulators if you still own a legit copy of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp. I am excited to see the flood of games We'll get at E3. I liked some of the Microsoft press conference, but I also understood that the event was to introduce the new xbox hardware and non-gaming features, and games we're being saved for E3.

[quote name='Superstar']Welp. I am excited to see the flood of games We'll get at E3. I liked some of the Microsoft press conference, but I also understood that the event was to introduce the new xbox hardware and non-gaming features, and games we're being saved for E3.[/QUOTE]

My main fear with this thinking is that revealing the console as a entertainment hub rather then a video game system has revealed microsofts focus. Id imagine microsofts games will be aimed half at families (to appeal to the entertainment box side/ kinect2) and half to gamers (although many of these will be fps sport and racing games along with a couple comlete duds). But, i guess we'll see at e3. I also wouldnt be suprised if two of those exclusives are halo 2 hd at launch and halo 5 just under the 12 month promise next holiday season.

So what does everyone expect these 15 games to be?

So far:

1. Forza 5
2. Quantum Break
3. Ryse

Possible/Rumored:

4. Mirrors Edge 2
5. Halo 5
6. Killer Instinct
7. Crackdown 3
8. Dance Central

Anything else I'm forgetting?

[quote name='4thHorseman']So what does everyone expect these 15 games to be?

So far:

1. Forza 5
2. Quantum Break
3. Ryse

Possible/Rumored:

4. Mirrors Edge 2
5. Halo 5
6. Killer Instinct
7. Crackdown 3
8. Dance Central

Anything else I'm forgetting?[/QUOTE]

Most of those seem pretty likely, there's 7 of the 15 which aren't new IPs so Forza, Mirror's Edge, Halo, Killer Instinct, Crackdown, and Dance Central would comprise 6 of those 7.

Maybe a return of Mech Assault? That would make passing on the Xbox One very difficult.

Fable MMO, an exercise game that will figure calories burned by heart rate (new IP), and some kids kinect games (possibly new IPS's). They're definitely going to have those, just not sure how many that will be.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Is anybody really asking for another Crackdown?[/QUOTE]

Truthfully, I love Crackdown. The games weren't good, but I always had fun with them, even just running around collecting orbs.

But it wouldn't sell me on the console. But I would easily take Crackdown over Halo, Gears, Forza, etc.

I'm one of the two people on this planet who would probably say that...

We know of the EA sports titles, UFC, Madden, FIFA, NBA Live. Forza, Quantum Break, Ryse and CoD: Ghost.

What's possible:
Rare is rumored to be returning to one of their older franchises (Killer Instinct/Banjo-Kazooie/Conker's!). Lead Designer of Conkers is working on the Wii U, that's all we know atm.

Ubisoft is rumored to be working on "The Crew' which will go up with other sim racing like Forza/Gran Turismo.

Black Tusk Studios is working on something the likes of Halo's popularity.

Something for Japan from Microsoft Studios Ostaka.

Press Play
Twisted Pixel are both working on something.

Rumors of a Mirror's Edge 2 have surfaced after appearing on a help page on EA's website.

[quote name='Spybreak8']What's possible:
Rare is rumored to be returning to one of their older franchises (Killer Instinct/Banjo-Kazooie/Conker's!). Lead Designer of Conkers is working on the Wii U, that's all we know atm.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention Perfect Dark. Sure, people hated Zero (I really enjoyed it), but I can see that coming back.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Truthfully, I love Crackdown. The games weren't good, but I always had fun with them, even just running around collecting orbs.

But it wouldn't sell me on the console. But I would easily take Crackdown over Halo, Gears, Forza, etc.

I'm one of the two people on this planet who would probably say that...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't necessarily pick Crackdown over the other franchises mentioned but I definitely had a good time with both Crackdown entries. Although Crackdown 2 was essentially a mod or DLC packaged as a full retail release, I still had fun with it.

[quote name='tcrash247']You forgot to mention Perfect Dark. Sure, people hated Zero (I really enjoyed it), but I can see that coming back.[/QUOTE]

Hmm they did cancel plans on PDZ 2 because of the Kinect so there is a slight chance they gathered up the trash but I'd be shocked if they did. They were also working on a sequel for Kameo which also got nixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back