Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Sony would be much different in terms of allowing competition, but they already allow Indies to self-publish and set their own release dates and sales, putting them miles ahead of MS. Plus even with playing for Multi-player, PS Plus assuming it keeps the deals it constantly has now, is a far more attractive offer than Xbox Live Gold.

Kinect is just one thing on a pile of other issues I have. It's a terrible gameplay platform even when things do work correctly and the gesture-based controls are ridiculous. The voice recognition is also bound to be terrible (I doubt it would recognize anyone with a thick accent) and it is just stupid that anyone could walk into a room and yell Xbox off and fuck up your game. Murders have been committed over far less.
Not going to lie, I LOL'd @ "XBOX OFF!"

I guess the wife will decide when I'm done playing now... :p

...and as for the privacy concerns do people really think a semi-nude Bill Gates or Major Nelson will be watching you through Kinect (from what I've read you can set what your Kinect can monitor so you could turn off video/audio) I'm guessing people worried about the government using it for surveillance also pulls the battery out of their cell phone when they get home.
Sadly, a lot of tinfoil hat-wearing clowns think exactly that. Truthfully, it's NOT bad that it enters your mind when you hear about it, given recent events. It's bad that after thinking about it for more than a few seconds, you still think it's a possibility.

...and as for the privacy concerns do people really think a semi-nude Bill Gates or Major Nelson will be watching you through Kinect (from what I've read you can set what your Kinect can monitor so you could turn off video/audio) I'm guessing people worried about the government using it for surveillance also pulls the battery out of their cell phone when they get home.
Sadly, a lot of tinfoil hat-wearing clowns think exactly that. Truthfully, it's NOT bad that it enters your mind when you hear about it, given recent events. It's bad that after thinking about it for more than a few seconds, you still think it's a possibility.
It's not the gummint I'm especially worried about, I'm sure they have more cost effective ways to spy on people. What concerns me slightly more is MS using the data they get from Kinect to target ads or some kind of extra DRM on film rentals, and my prime concern there is that it just won't work properly and will cause me a lot of inconvenience, like I get having Kinect switched on now.

I don't believe the hype about how great new Kinect is, they're saying the same things they said about old Kinect. Except now I can't turn the fucking thing off !

This isn't about being a paranoid lunatic. Considering the NSA thing, it's just plain creepy.

Steam came out 10 YEARS AGO.....think about that, it came out BEFORE THE XBOX 360 EXISTED.  Microsoft should be miles ahead of Steam in the beginning.  I mean this is like if a huge movie release like say The Avengers came out and wasn't on Blu-Ray, IMAX, or in 3D.  It was only in plain old 2D in standard def and was only released on DVD.  There's no excuse for being behind so bad and having so many growing pains when the model you are aspiring to be (Steam) has been out for a decade.  Yes there will be problems as there are with any new model but for the love of God let's not act like the examples haven't been laid out for Microsoft to look at for years.  Between Steam and iTunes alone they have great examples of how to do this type of thing right out of the gate.

I have a question that I'm not sure has been 100% confirmed yet that I think is a really big deal that no one is talking about much.  Is it confirmed officially that the PS4 comes with a headset in the box while the X1 doesn't (just using Kinect to talk)?  I know people absolutely trashed Wii Speak when that came out....how would using Kinect to talk Online be that much different?  Does anyone actually want to have to talk across a room to each other and have all the sound come out through the speakers?  Microsoft had such a huge advantage with the 360 having a headset in the box (even though it was horrible) that I just can't believe they would ship another system without one while their competitor has one in.  Isn't this kind of a big deal? 

This isn't about being a paranoid lunatic. Considering the NSA thing, it's just plain creepy.
I suppose if you're a paranoid lunatic, it would be creepy. This has literally nothing in common with the NSA.

What is your nightmare scenario with Kinect? I won't comment either way. I'm just genuinely interested in hearing how you think Microsoft can sneak a government surveillance camera into a consumer electronics product... in a day and age where tech experts tear down these things on day one, and can analyze every single operation it performs, every packet of data it tries to send.

I know right... Why start from scratch when you have a pretty good example(steam) to work with? Also anybody expecting cheap games from Microsoft on a closed platform like the X1 is naive. You guys don't remember this issue with valve?

Steam came out 10 YEARS AGO.....think about that, it came out BEFORE THE XBOX 360 EXISTED. Microsoft should be miles ahead of Steam in the beginning. I mean this is like if a huge movie release like say The Avengers came out and wasn't on Blu-Ray, IMAX, or in 3D. It was only in plain old 2D in standard def and was only released on DVD. There's no excuse for being behind so bad and having so many growing pains when the model you are aspiring to be (Steam) has been out for a decade. Yes there will be problems as there are with any new model but for the love of God let's not act like the examples haven't been laid out for Microsoft to look at for years. Between Steam and iTunes alone they have great examples of how to do this type of thing right out of the gate.

I have a question that I'm not sure has been 100% confirmed yet that I think is a really big deal that no one is talking about much. Is it confirmed officially that the PS4 comes with a headset in the box while the X1 doesn't (just using Kinect to talk)? I know people absolutely trashed Wii Speak when that came out....how would using Kinect to talk Online be that much different? Does anyone actually want to have to talk across a room to each other and have all the sound come out through the speakers? Microsoft had such a huge advantage with the 360 having a headset in the box (even though it was horrible) that I just can't believe they would ship another system without one while their competitor has one in. Isn't this kind of a big deal?
I don't think the Xbox One comes with a headset this time since it is not mentioned on the "What is included" page on the Xbox website. But Microsoft did show off what the new headset and rechargeable battery pack looks like.

eml.png

q2i.png

o2jg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm ok thanks for that, I hadn't seen the new headset yet.  Man I think they might make a mistake by not including that in the box, it looks pretty cheap again, I don't think for $500 it would be asking too much to throw that in.

I suppose if you're a paranoid lunatic, it would be creepy. This has literally nothing in common with the NSA.

What is your nightmare scenario with Kinect? I won't comment either way. I'm just genuinely interested in hearing how you think Microsoft can sneak a government surveillance camera into a consumer electronics product... in a day and age where tech experts tear down these things on day one, and can analyze every single operation it performs, every packet of data it tries to send.
Honestly, the Kinect piece is the least of my concerns, but quit acting like people are crazy for thinking the government (or another entity) is looking to spy on them through their electronic gadgets. Petraeus said as much last year. Not really far-fetched when they openly state it. Like I said, not a concern of mine, but people are not being paranoid.

Hmm ok thanks for that, I hadn't seen the new headset yet. Man I think they might make a mistake by not including that in the box, it looks pretty cheap again, I don't think for $500 it would be asking too much to throw that in.
Holy shit, are you kidding, they can't even include the $10 headset on a $500 console...what a joke.

Honestly, the Kinect piece is the least of my concerns, but quit acting like people are crazy for thinking the government (or another entity) is looking to spy on them through their electronic gadgets. Petraeus said as much last year. Not really far-fetched when they openly state it. Like I said, not a concern of mine, but people are not being paranoid.
You're right people are not just being paranoid, they're being paranoid and mind-numbingly ridiculous. You have totally misinterpreted the article anyway (not that I blame you, it's a poorly written mess). I also notice you decided to ignore my request for someone, anyone to explain precisely how Microsoft was going to pull this off. Most tinfoil hat stuff falls apart at even the simplest of examinations, and this is no different.

You're right people are not just being paranoid, they're being paranoid and mind-numbingly ridiculous. You have totally misinterpreted the article anyway (not that I blame you, it's a poorly written mess). I also notice you decided to ignore my request for someone, anyone to explain precisely how Microsoft was going to pull this off. Most tinfoil hat stuff falls apart at even the simplest of examinations, and this is no different.
Nah, I didn't ignore it. I guess I wasn't clear that I don't think MS is trying to spy on people. Kinect is always on for system related reasons. No question that MS would have a tough time hiding a data mining feed in the system. It would get found. Wasn't implying otherwise.

Nah, I didn't ignore it. I guess I wasn't clear that I don't think MS is trying to spy on people. Kinect is always on for system related reasons. No question that MS would have a tough time hiding a data mining feed in the system. It would get found. Wasn't implying otherwise.
Fair enough. The way I interpreted the article is not necessarily that one day our TVs or refrigerators would be watching us, but that given enough smart devices in our home that even the simplest of usage data could paint a fairly accurate profile of what we are doing. When we're home, sleeping patterns, what we do and what time we do it... which is a form of surveillance. I agree with all that. It's feasible.

Again the difference here is platform. PC is open to pretty much anyone who wants to sell their games or be in direct competition to Steam itself. You really think Microsoft will have it this way? They won't let anybody compete with them on their platform. And also again, Microsoft isn't the pioneer here-There's a proven roadmap in place already on the right way to do this, and they are saying screw that, and if it was a even better model, that's fine, but it's not.
I'm just curious as I've seen this comment a few times. I think people are not thinking it through to the logical conclusion. So, follow along on the logic train and see if you see what I see as Seuss would say.

We know that Blueray's are simply cd key's at this point in time, with data on them, right? We also know that you can trade in that key, to a authorized retailer. We also know that currently you can input a key into Xbox Live directly to purchase a game or as a gift.

Let's put all this together, and we have a situation where Xbox One is *not* a closed loop. I simply cannot see why Amazon/Gamestop would not be able to sell digital keys to me, that I simply enter in. Or on another level, that is simply a App that I open up on my Xbox and search their storefront that way.

You could say that's unlikely, but I disagree. I say it's actually more likely, then unlikely. Simply because both of those companies know digital is coming, and they have prepared for it with a flawless digital delivery system (in one case made, in another purchased).

I think in the coming month's, you are going to hear about that.. and about renting games directly from Gamefly "on demand" shortly after launch. That's just my personal opinion though, but the logic train does seem to lead you toward digital delivery of cd key's from multiple retailers.

Again the difference here is platform. PC is open to pretty much anyone who wants to sell their games or be in direct competition to Steam itself. You really think Microsoft will have it this way? They won't let anybody compete with them on their platform. And also again, Microsoft isn't the pioneer here-There's a proven roadmap in place already on the right way to do this, and they are saying screw that, and if it was a even better model, that's fine, but it's not.
I'm just curious as I've seen this comment a few times. I think people are not thinking it through to the logical conclusion. So, follow along on the logic train and see if you see what I see as Seuss would say.

We know that Blueray's are simply cd key's at this point in time, with data on them, right? We also know that you can trade in that key, to a authorized retailer. We also know that currently you can input a key into Xbox Live directly to purchase a game or as a gift.

Let's put all this together, and we have a situation where Xbox One is *not* a closed loop. I simply cannot see why Amazon/Gamestop would not be able to sell digital keys to me, that I simply enter in. Or on another level, that is simply a App that I open up on my Xbox and search their storefront that way.

You could say that's unlikely, but I disagree. I say it's actually more likely, then unlikely. Simply because both of those companies know digital is coming, and they have prepared for it with a flawless digital delivery system (in one case made, in another purchased).

I think in the coming month's, you are going to hear about that.. and about renting games directly from Gamefly "on demand" shortly after launch. That's just my personal opinion though, but the logic train does seem to lead you toward digital delivery of cd key's from multiple retailers.
The difference between Steam and MS/Sony is that, Steam is just a marketplace. They have other marketplaces that compete with them like Origin. MS/Sony owns the platform and marketplace, why would they allow competition on something they have a tight grip on. It is almost like why would Apple allow Google/Amazon's app store to work on iDevices. Microsoft can't dictate what runs on Windows hence why you can do anything you want with it.

i would refuess any cap on my internet usage thankfully in my area time warner and uverse don't have caps.

I can definitely see MS releasing an updated, all digital version within 3 years.
They should have done that in the first place though.
backbone of u.s interet can't handle all digital and streaming video game right now look at on live for a prime example why.
LOL...how do you think you can "refuse it"? We have AT&T Uverse here as well, but the speeds are nowhere near as good as Comcast. It's like having T-Mobile cell service. "You get unlimited everything...but it doesn't work worth shit!!!" Good speeds w/cap > poor speeds w/no cap. When you're dealing with monopolies, you're always choosing the lesser of two evils. Just saying though, the ISPs could have a far bigger say in the X1's success than people realize.
i get 30 mbps down and 3 mbps up with uverse for 65 bucks that is not crap lool

Fair enough. The way I interpreted the article is not necessarily that one day our TVs or refrigerators would be watching us, but that given enough smart devices in our home that even the simplest of usage data could paint a fairly accurate profile of what we are doing. When we're home, sleeping patterns, what we do and what time we do it... which is a form of surveillance. I agree with all that. It's feasible.
Agreed.

Maybe I missed the answer, but I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer:

I keep seeing lower prices being brought up for these digital games similar to Steam. What's the reason why this isn't happening currently with digital games on the 360 and PS3?

my guess is they don't included headset because kinect is really a mic. But if kinect 2.0 mic is god awful like kinect 1.0 mic was well it will just suck

people freaking out about spying with kinect always on i have to ask on your labtop do you have a built in cam and on desktop do you always have a cam connected? If you do then what not to say people or gov is hacking your webcam and looking at you while on your computer.

I keep seeing lower prices being brought up for these digital games similar to Steam. What's the reason why this isn't happening currently with digital games on the 360 and PS3?
well their are times when psn and live have decent sales on digital games it just never advertised unless you go to the companys websites.

people these days share everything about their life if people care or not on twitter and facebook and the gov and people you work for look at that stuff and have cams on their computes but when ms puts a kinect on a xbox they have issues with it. :facepalm:

The difference between Steam and MS/Sony is that, Steam is just a marketplace. They have other marketplaces that compete with them like Origin. MS/Sony owns the platform and marketplace, why would they allow competition on something they have a tight grip on. It is almost like why would Apple allow Google/Amazon's app store to work on iDevices. Microsoft can't dictate what runs on Windows hence why you can do anything you want with it.
I assure you, Steam is more then a marketplace. Valve actually does develop games. However, I see what your getting at, so let's go from there.

Xbox Live Storefront is also a marketplace. It can have competition, and Microsoft actually cant do anything to stop it. It has competition *right now* for the 360, and Microsoft cant do anything to stop it. (http://www.gamestop.com/browse/xbox-360?nav=2b12,28-xu0,1351-85 as a example) I can buy all that, digital, right this second and enter it into Live. Who control's those prices? Not Microsoft. Doing away with MS Points turns it into a pure cash sales environment just like Steam/Origin/Impulse.

Therefor, Live does have competition right now, and there is absolutely zero reason for that to change.

It is happening actually. Sales occur all the time both on Live and PS. Next week Black Op's 2 is going on sale for example on Live, for 60% off.

I notice in a lot of complaints about the Xbox One "Kinect required" is always thrown in there. Am I missing something or do you have to balance the Kinect sensor on your forehead while you play? You plug in your Xbox plug in Kinect and thats it, if Kinect was sold separately for $100-$200 then I would understand the outrage and as for the privacy concerns do people really think a semi-nude Bill Gates or Major Nelson will be watching you through Kinect (from what I've read you can set what your Kinect can monitor so you could turn off video/audio) I'm guessing people worried about the government using it for surveillance also pulls the battery out of their cell phone when they get home.
Addressing the non-privacy objection to Kinect being required with the XBone, although there is no known price for the XBone Kinect since its not sold separately, we can estimate it to be around $100 as that is what the current gen version was priced at upon release. So, we know that Microsoft is using the added required Kinect as justification to charge a higher price for the XBone when there's a lot of people who are not clamoring for it in the first place.

I assure you, Steam is more then a marketplace. Valve actually does develop games. However, I see what your getting at, so let's go from there.

Xbox Live Storefront is also a marketplace. It can have competition, and Microsoft actually cant do anything to stop it. It has competition *right now* for the 360, and Microsoft cant do anything to stop it. (http://www.gamestop.com/browse/xbox-360?nav=2b12,28-xu0,1351-85 as a example) I can buy all that, digital, right this second and enter it into Live. Who control's those prices? Not Microsoft.

Therefor, Live does have competition right now, and there is absolutely zero reason for that to change.

It is happening actually. Sales occur all the time both on Live and PS. Next week Black Op's 2 is going on sale for example on Live, for 60% off.
Your avoiding the fact that the xbox is a closed platform. What your proposing is similar to Apple allowing Google's marketplace to work for the iPad, and iPhone. You call those prices on Gamestop's website competition? Just cause they have the ability to sell those digital codes, doesn't mean they don't have a contract in place with Microsoft to not put an item on sale.

Please explain to me why Microsoft wanted to charge for DLC when Valve insisted they want to give it for free. http://www.shacknews.com/article/60365/microsoft-forces-valve-to-price

Also that 60% off sale is actually...

Black Ops II Sale

25-Jun to 1-Jul

up to 50% off
an up to 50% off sale.

In the current market system present now Microsoft can't afford to do huge sales like Steam for the developers and publishers. See when they do away with a second hand system where the developer isn't getting any money from that transaction they can then do great digital sales as initially the game's profits go directly to the developer, which in turn allows for the price to be cut while also keeping a healthy development studio.

In the current market system present now Microsoft can't afford to do huge sales like Steam for the developers and publishers. See when they do away with a second hand system where the developer isn't getting any money from that transaction they can then do great digital sales as initially the game's profits go directly to the developer, which in turn allows for the price to be cut while also keeping a healthy development studio.
I ask you this... What happens if your assumption is wrong?

Edit:

At least if I'm wrong, we still have options of either choosing disc or digital. Am I right?

Its not that they cannot afford it, it is because there is no competition on the xbox market place. Steam games have to go on sale in order to compete with other games on the market. They can change the price of their game everyday on the steam store if they wanted to. To go onsale on the xbox marketplace you have to get it set up and arranged months in advance. (I worked for a game studio) 

i ask you this why is it every time someone gives a opinion on this forum that every one bashes them for it. everytime someone says something positive or a opinion on what they think might happen if it's in favor of ms they get called names and bashed for it.

Its not that they cannot afford it, it is because there is no competition on the xbox market place. Steam games have to go on sale in order to compete with other games on the market. They can change the price of their game everyday on the steam store if they wanted to. To go onsale on the xbox marketplace you have to get it set up and arranged months in advance. (I worked for a game studio)
it's not like psn has great sales on digital games either

For anything sold on Xbox Marketplace now (on 360) all the profits go to the Publisher and Microsoft, yet they rarely have great sales. The Xbox Marketplace could easily undercut used prices now, but it doesn't. Why would they be inclined to have low prices with the used market gone?

that's the most pathetic part about people on this thread. If someone says anything to support ms and x1 they get called a idiot and a loser and other things same thing if someone says they are buying x1. If someone bashes x1 they get tons of love. Why do we need to be calling fellow gamers any kind of names and not just support that they have a opinion.

i ask you this why is it every time someone gives a opinion on this forum that every one bashes them for it. everytime someone says something positive or a opinion on what they think might happen if it's in favor of ms they get called names and bashed for it.

Please explain to me how me asking a question is bashing??? PSN and Xbox both require a membership to get the better deals. With Steam you don't need paid any membership.

that's the most pathetic party about people on this thread. If someone says anything to support ms and x1 they get called a idiot and a loser and other things same thing if someone says they are buying x1. If someone bashes x1 they get tons of love. Why do we need to be calling fellow gamers any kind of names and not just support that they have a opinion.
You are being delusional, nobody is calling anyone names or bashing anyone.

I like the other "positive" thread for the Xbox One.  Where people, without anyone reason whatsoever, randomly post their reasons for supporting the Xbox One knowing that nobody in the thread can disagree with them.  Even funnier considering the fact they feel the need to justify their purchase, without provocation, by posting in a positive only thread indicating some sort of inner-turmoil regarding the decision and need to explain their rationale.

I'm buying an Xbox One because I'm a progressive forward-thinker.  What does that even mean?  Dude, the Xbox One's got electrolytes!  The world may never know as rational thinking in the decision making process obviously went out the window a while ago.  You could try to understand why someone might purchase an Xbox One, but when you consider the fact that Sarah "I can see Russia from my house" Palin was almost the Vice President of this country, and voting is FREE, there isn't much need to understand it, just acceptance that this is the society we live in. 

Please explain to me how me asking a question is bashing???

that's the most pathetic party about people on this thread. If someone says anything to support ms and x1 they get called a idiot and a loser and other things same thing if someone says they are buying x1. If someone bashes x1 they get tons of love. Why do we need to be calling fellow gamers any kind of names and not just support that they have a opinion.
You are being delusional, nobody is calling anyone names or bashing anyone.
you must not keep up on this thread much i never said you do but their are some people here not going to say names that do it non stop

that's the most pathetic part about people on this thread. If someone says anything to support ms and x1 they get called a idiot and a loser and other things same thing if someone says they are buying x1. If someone bashes x1 they get tons of love. Why do we need to be calling fellow gamers any kind of names and not just support that they have a opinion.
Supporting the Xbox One could eventually take away our consumer rights (if other systems copy their DRM) so therefore I can't respect anyone that supports the Xbox One. Because of the DRM Microsoft is implementing this goes far beyond a normal console war (I never cared who won in any previous generation).

I like the other "positive" thread for the Xbox One. Where people, without anyone reason whatsoever, randomly post their reasons for supporting the Xbox One knowing that nobody in the thread can disagree with them. Even funnier considering the fact they feel the need to justify their purchase, without provocation, by posting in a positive only thread indicating some sort of inner-turmoil regarding the decision and need to explain their rationale.

I'm buying an Xbox One because I'm a progressive forward-thinker. What does that even mean? Dude, the Xbox One's got electrolytes! The world may never know as rational thinking in the decision making process obviously went out the window a while ago. You could try to understand why someone might purchase an Xbox One, but when you consider the fact that Sarah "I can see Russia from my house" Palin was almost the Vice President of this country, and voting is FREE, there isn't much need to understand it, just acceptance that this is the society we live in.
if they want to buy a xbo one who gives a junk it's THEIR money why do yo ucare how people spend THEIR MONEY

I notice in a lot of complaints about the Xbox One "Kinect required" is always thrown in there. Am I missing something or do you have to balance the Kinect sensor on your forehead while you play? You plug in your Xbox plug in Kinect and thats it, if Kinect was sold separately for $100-$200 then I would understand the outrage and as for the privacy concerns do people really think a semi-nude Bill Gates or Major Nelson will be watching you through Kinect (from what I've read you can set what your Kinect can monitor so you could turn off video/audio) I'm guessing people worried about the government using it for surveillance also pulls the battery out of their cell phone when they get home.
Addressing the non-privacy objection to Kinect being required with the XBone, although there is no known price for the XBone Kinect since its not sold separately, we can estimate it to be around $100 as that is what the current gen version was priced at upon release. So, we know that Microsoft is using the added required Kinect as justification to charge a higher price for the XBone when there's a lot of people who are clamoring for it in the first place.
The first Kinect launched at $150, not $100 ....so i'd assume kinect 2 would be priced the same. Throw in the value of a 'game dvr', the family game sharing, direct streaming to twitch, and other things...you can easily see why $500 isn't "expensive".

Supporting the Xbox One could eventually take away our consumer rights (if other systems copy their DRM) so therefore I can't respect anyone that supports the Xbox One. Because of the DRM Microsoft is implementing this goes far beyond a normal console war (I never cared who won in any previous generation).
let me ask you this do you own a mp3 player,smart phone, buy digital games on steam, and other digital only products? if so you are supporting drm products.

you must not keep up on this thread much i never said you do but their are some people here not going to say names that do it non stop
You shouldn't had quoted me when you made that response. :twisted:
well i apologize

so will people bash steam box like this when it comes out and plz don't bring up well steam has great prices on games.

same people that say they will not support the drm xbox 1 has im sure has mp3 players,smart phones,buys games on steam, buys other digital content devices and have no problems.

OMG I CAN'T SELL MY GAMES ON EBAY AND CRAIGS LIST BECASUE I DON'T LIKE TO SUPPORT THE MAKERS OF THE GAME AND WANT TO GIVE THEM NO PROFIT

let me ask you this do you own a mp3 player,smart phone, buy digital games on steam, and other digital only products? if so you are supporting drm products.

You shouldn't had quoted me when you made that response. :twisted:
well i apologize

so will people bash steam box like this when it comes out and plz don't bring up well steam has great prices on games.
We don't know anything about the steambox though. Also buying digital products and having restrictions on them is not why people are mad. It is Microsoft putting restrictions on physical products with no benefits for the consumer which is making people mad.

Your avoiding the fact that the xbox is a closed platform. What your proposing is similar to Apple allowing Google's marketplace to work for the iPad, and iPhone. You call those prices on Gamestop's website competition? Just cause they have the ability to sell those digital codes, doesn't mean they don't have a contract in place with Microsoft to not put an item on sale.

Please explain to me why Microsoft wanted to charge for DLC when Valve insisted they want to give it for free. http://www.shacknews.com/article/60365/microsoft-forces-valve-to-price

Black Ops II Sale 25-Jun to 1-Jul up to 50% off
an up to 50% off sale.
True, it is a closed platform. However, that's not the issue. The issue at hand is about its delivery system being a closed loop, which it clearly is not... nor will the Xbox One's.

A true closed loop is what you already said before.. Apple. If I want a app, I need to go to their store. I cant purchase the app on bestbuy or amazon. With consoles, you can do just that... either digital or psychical. (Apple's model is referred to as a "Walled Garden" for a reason)

The reason you dont see huge sales is because of MS Points. MS Points are a fixed price point. You dont see sales on them very often, and their value is a non diminishing quantity. Any change a publisher would like to do to reduce the price of his product, requires Microsoft to lower the point price of that product. That requires a rather extensive period of time.

With the change over to a pure dollar market, you can now under cut competitors prices. The key point to remember is right now Gamestop isnt really selling you "the game", they are selling you the points equal to the game.

We don't know anything about the steambox though. Also buying digital products and having restrictions on them is not why people are mad. It is Microsoft putting restrictions on physical products with no benefits for the consumer which is making people mad.

so your saying if xbox 1 was all digital games not physical copy people would not be crying? get out of here

OMG I CAN'T SELL MY GAMES ON EBAY AND CRAIGS LIST BECASUE I DON'T LIKE TO SUPPORT THE MAKERS OF THE GAME AND WANT TO GIVE THEM NO PROFIT
Seriously? They aren't entitled to that money. They got their profit the first time it was sold. Hence the name the first sale doctrine. This idea that used games sales are so bad because they hurt publishers is ridiculous. Do you hear Ford whining because everyone's selling used cars and not letting them reach into their pockets and steal money they have no right to?

Seriously? They aren't entitled to that money. They got their profit the first time it was sold. Hence the name the first sale doctrine. This idea that used games sales are so bad because they hurt publishers is ridiculous. Do you hear Ford whining because everyone's selling used cars and not letting them reach into their pockets and steal money they have no right to?
so if a game is resold 10 times the game company deserves to only make 60 bucks from that ? plus that is the dumbest comparison i ever seen seeing ford dealers also sell used cars

i have no problem with online pass gives back money to game makers

people don't want to admit it but used game sales hurt the smaller companys yes it don't hurt ones like EA and other big names but the smaller ones it 100 percent does.

here's my problem with Steam sales and even used game sales on CAG.

For Steam, people brag about how they get games really cheap...and then like to take screenshots of the hundreds of games they own that they'll never even get around to playing.

For used game sales...how many times do you buy a game only because its on sale, throw it in your backlog...and then months later see the game on sale for lower. I know I always go into the deal threads and see people say "man, I haven't even touched my copy from the ___ sale"

so if a game is resold 10 times the game company deserves to only make 60 bucks from that ? plus that is the dumbest comparison i ever seen seeing ford dealers also sell used cars

people don't want to admit it but used game sales hurt the smaller companys yes it don't hurt ones like EA and other big names but the smaller ones it 100 percent does.
Apparently Microsoft doesn't care: hence, the "family plan".

They aren't entitled to a single penny of it. No one who makes any product ever should get a single cent of of the secondary sales. It is a perfect comparison btw because plenty of non ford dealerships sell them used but ok replace ford with furniture sales, home sales, dvd sales, cd sales, or a million other products.

Black Ops II Sale 25-Jun to 1-Jul up to 50% off
an up to 50% off sale.
True, it is a closed platform. However, that's not the issue. The issue at hand is about its delivery system being a closed loop, which it clearly is not... nor will the Xbox One's.

A true closed loop is what you already said before.. Apple. If I want a app, I need to go to their store. I cant purchase the app on bestbuy or amazon. With consoles, you can do just that... either digital or psychical. (Apple's model is referred to as a "Walled Garden" for a reason)

The reason you dont see huge sales is because of MS Points. MS Points are a fixed price point. You dont see sales on them very often, and their value is a non diminishing quantity. Any change a publisher would like to do to reduce the price of his product, requires Microsoft to lower the point price of that product. That requires a rather extensive period of time.

With the change over to a pure dollar market, you can now under cut competitors prices. The key point to remember is right now Gamestop isnt really selling you "the game", they are selling you the points equal to the game.
PSN has been true dollar since the start. We still don't get steam like sales.

Edit: When you buy dlc for PS3 from gamestop, you do literally get the digital game not the digital dollar amount also.

I buy MP3s and games on GOG, both are DRM-free. I do not buy any other downloads. And yes I have problems with Steam as well. Xbox One is just the next step in DRM products taking over the marketplace and it has worse DRM than Steam as well as a much shorter lifespan.

When I used to buy games on Steam I always thought I could buy a DRM-free copy on PS3 or Xbox 360 later if I wanted to... if all systems start using DRM (which is likely to happen soon if people support the Xbox One) than that option will disappear. And anything that is only available with DRM and not popular enough to get continued support will be erased from existence 15-20 years after it comes out.

Imagine if this technology were to apply to all media. How many of you can say that there are absolutely no games, movies, tv shows, or music that you like that are not popular enough to be re-released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back