Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kinect isn't as big of a deal if you don't have to be connected to the net to play games. It would have to be recording to your Xbox hard drive at that point. I think the $100 price point and the weaker hardware are all that's left.
That's true, the scare over the always-connected Kinect won't be an issue so long as the console can be played off-line. The Kinect cannot be accessed for spying purposes if the console does not have an internet or network connection. And no one cares if it records vidoe to the hard drive, so long as that video cannot be accessed remotely.

The big complaint over the required Kinect will now be that it is responsible for the $100 price difference. But the XBox faithful can at least breathe a little easier.

Great news for all gamers. I am glad enough people spoke up about this both vocally and more importantly with their wallets to make MS change their tune. I will still only use my XBone the same as I use my Wii U, that is for the few must play exclusive titles each console has. If the people at MS werent such assholes about these announcements (ie. if you dont like the always online you can just get an XBox 360) and trying to be sneaky about this stuff then I would just make my XBone my #1.

The console wars are officially back on. I still dont understand why I would need to plug my satellite box into the XBone, it would add nothing my Dish box or my smart tv doesnt already do. If it replaced the box that would be great, but I dont need another channel guide or another list of what is popular among other viewers.

Funny how Xbox One fanboys wanted us all to shut up.  You should be very happy we didn't because now you get a console worth owning.

Analysts wouldn't have lowered expectations if it weren't for the backlash.
There was never going to be any backlash from the publishers, they were the ones spurring those policies in the first place. There wasn't going to be any backlash from GameStop, as a secondary market they had no real authority to exercise. The outcry from the hard-core gamers could quite easily be ignored, they were generally not the audience Microsoft was gunning for anyway. The dude-bros who only use their 360s for multi-player Call of Duty or Madden weren't complaining, these changes barely affected them anyway.

The analysts lowered their expectations because they envisioned the same things I've been posting about. Microsoft's on-line policies for the XBox One would severely limit the early expansion and market adoption of the system, as well as its long-term prospects. Enforcing those policies would have insured the failure of the XBox One while it's competitors picked up the pieces. The XBox One is still going to have a difficult road ahead of it, but it will have a much better chance of success in the U.S. now.

Absolutely stunning turn of events, I honestly didn't think MS would back down on the issue. Good day for gamers and consumers. This also proves the whole "power of the cloud " nonsense was indeed bullshit haha. Its going to be interesting to see how Sony responds to this since one of their big selling points was no DRM/Always online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how Xbox One fanboys wanted us all to shut up. You should be very happy we didn't because now you get a console worth owning.
?

Disagree. We already had a console worth owning. Honestly I'm a bit torn on it. On one hand, maybe you guys can quiet your bitching and go ahead and buy that Xbox One you already had preordered, since we all know the only reason you'd be this vocal was you wanted to buy one anyway.

On the other hand... you've now got a system that isnt always online, and as a Developer, that means that I cant count on 100% of my userbase being online, so it may hamper some of their creativity in terms of what they'd like to do.

Yeah, you need the disc to play installed games again, which means the Family Plan has to be nixed now.

That only worked if your account could be constantly verified that you have the license for those games.

Good for Microsoft.  It's rare to see a major corporation actually listen to customers in this day and age.  I'd hate to think about how much R&D dollars were wasted in developing that elaborate DRM system.  Xbox One must have been getting destroyed by the PS4 in pre-orders for them to backpedal like this.

Analysts wouldn't have lowered expectations if it weren't for the backlash.
There was never going to be any backlash from the publishers, they were the ones spurring those policies in the first place. There wasn't going to be any backlash from GameStop, as a secondary market they had no real authority to exercise. The outcry from the hard-core gamers could quite easily be ignored, they were generally not the audience Microsoft was gunning for anyway. The dude-bros who only use their 360s for multi-player Call of Duty or Madden weren't complaining, these changes barely affected them anyway.

The analysts lowered their expectations because they envisioned the same things I've been posting about. Microsoft's on-line policies for the XBox One would severely limit the early expansion and market adoption of the system, as well as its long-term prospects. Enforcing those policies would have insured the failure of the XBox One while it's competitors picked up the pieces. The XBox One is still going to have a difficult road ahead of it, but it will have a much better chance of success in the U.S. now.
There was a backlash from GameStop, they were actively pushing the PS4 See the GAF thread about it. You think the limited markets came to light recently? C'mon now. They saw the preorder numbers, the vocal community, the magazine articles like the one in the Navy magazine and knew they were in trouble.

Three things Ashane.

1) I didn't have any interest in getting one, I was vocal because it's an affront to consumer rights and sets a bad precedent.

2) Why did you capitalize "developer"?

3) I can't take anything you say seriously with that idiotic pony avatar.

Funny how Xbox One fanboys wanted us all to shut up. You should be very happy we didn't because now you get a console worth owning.
Disagree. We already had a console worth owning. Honestly I'm a bit torn on it. On one hand, maybe you guys can quiet your bitching and go ahead and buy that Xbox One you already had preordered, since we all know the only reason you'd be this vocal was you wanted to buy one anyway.

On the other hand... you've now got a system that isnt always online, and as a Developer, that means that I cant count on 100% of my userbase being online, so it may hamper some of their creativity in terms of what they'd like to do.
lol at no required internet hampering creativity.

Yeah, you need the disc to play installed games again, which means the Family Plan has to be nixed now.

That only worked if your account could be constantly verified that you have the license for those games.

I missed a line I guess, I figured downloaded titles might still be able to use the family sharing plan.. but then this line hit me " Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold."

Honestly if we lost family share for this.. well, that's going to suck. It was the shining bright light of the entire next gen consoles.

Wow, so after weeks of backlash, they back out. I'm actually surprised they put up with it for long to begin with but I'm guessing pre-orders had something to do with it. I'm also surprised to see they dropped region lock...

I wonder how much this'll help their cause?:whistle2:k

At least people who don't always have access to the Internet can get it now, as those who won't have always on Internet would have had no other option but to go with Sony or Nintendo if this did not happen. It should be easy enough to get a one time Internet connection to set up the console.

I have to wonder if this was somewhat of a publicity stunt of some sort, as it just doesn't seem logical that one company can implement DRM without the others being on the same page.

Ah well, let the game collecting continue, as it looks like we will be able to use this machine until it dies with no restrictions and the used game business will still flourish.

Er, it's true.

If you know 100% of your install base has X feature, you are more inclined to include X feature. if 50% of your install base has X feature, you might not.

It's the entire reason things like the Kinect, and Sony's Eye werent greatly supported... the install base for 360/PS3 that had the device wasnt there.

Seriously cant believe you just made me explain that HTZ. Your smarter then that and should not have had to have that explained :/

There was a backlash from GameStop, they were actively pushing the PS4 See the GAF thread about it. You think the limited markets came to light recently? C'mon now. They saw the preorder numbers, the vocal community, the magazine articles like the one in the Navy magazine and knew they were in trouble.
If they thought that the benefits from sticking to their restrictions would outweigh any negative PR, they would have gone ahead with it anyway. And we've seen game companies make plenty of questionable decisions that they stuck to despite rampant public outcry. As long as their bottom line doesn't take a hit, they'll go ahead with whatever they think is best.

It's true that the public outcry influenced this, but it wasn't as direct as Microsoft is playing it off. The public outcry helped to make investors uncertain as to how well Microsoft's strategy was going to play out. And it was pressure from the shareholders that made this change happen. They saw what kind of impact this would have on their stock value for the next year or two, and they pushed to have these policies reversed.

A company like Microsoft doesn't cave due to complaints from forum posters.

We also lost a potentially cool Family sharing feature just so a bunch of 15 year old kids too poor to buy decent Internet can keep on bending over for GameStop and trading in a dozen games for $22.

It's also disturbing to me that every video game system until the end of time has to be designed the same exact way or risk the wrath of a few thousand GameStop addicted angry Twitter nerds. I can see it now, it's the year 4000 and we've got Star Trek style replicators creating things out of thin air, and little kids still toting around these useless discs to give to the android at GameStop.

Er, it's true.

If you know 100% of your install base has X feature, you are more inclined to include X feature. if 50% of your install base has X feature, you might not.

It's the entire reason things like the Kinect, and Sony's Eye werent greatly supported... the install base for 360/PS3 that had the device wasnt there.

Seriously cant believe you just made me explain that HTZ. Your smarter then that and should not have had to have that explained :/
It shouldn't make a difference. If you have a 40 million install base with Internet or an 80 million install base with 50% of them having Internet, it's still the same number.

Three things Ashane.

1) I didn't have any interest in getting one, I was vocal because it's an affront to consumer rights and sets a bad precedent.

2) Why did you capitalize "developer"?

3) I can't take anything you say seriously with that idiotic pony avatar.
Whoa whoa whoa....

You crossed the line with insulting Pinkie Pie...

:booty:

Er, it's true.

MS was fine saying "If you don't have internet don't buy our console," why would it be any different to say "If you don't have internet don't buy our game"?

Er, it's true.

What feature do you have in mind that is so great that requires always online?

Its going to be interesting to see how Sony responds to this since one of their big selling points was no DRM/Always online.

Why does Sony need to "respond"? Their big selling points are a track record of better exclusives, a more powerful console, and a lower price.

Having your competitor make a major misstep in the wrong direction isn't a selling point. It's just a lucky break. The only reason they made the commercial about used games was to kick Microsoft while they were down. Earning those cheap brownie points with consumers.

We also lost a potentially cool Family sharing feature just so a bunch of 15 year old kids too poor to buy decent Internet can keep on bending over for GameStop and trading in a dozen games for $22.

It's also disturbing to me that every video game system until the end of time has to be designed the same exact way or risk the wrath of a few thousand GameStop addicted angry Twitter nerds. I can see it now, it's the year 4000 and we've got Star Trek style replicators creating things out of thin air, and little kids still toting around these useless discs to give to the android at GameStop.
Stop blaming gamestop, gamestop would had been the very few places you could trade in your games under the original policy.

Something tells me you're underestimating the number of angry consumers.

You people clinging on to the family share plan make me laugh.  They would have yanked or restricted that feature as soon as they had the numbers. And it was never fully detailed anyway, I highly doubt it was as great as people think it was.

I missed a line I guess, I figured downloaded titles might still be able to use the family sharing plan.. but then this line hit me " Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold."

Honestly if we lost family share for this.. well, that's going to suck. It was the shining bright light of the entire next gen consoles.
Personally, I don't believe the family plan ever existed, and was just something initially created in response to the whole DRM fiasco. There were never any policies set in stone as to how it was going to work.

Kazuya, you couldn't be any more inflammatory if you were carrying around a flamethrower. Your comments don't even make sense, GS would be GAINING something from this deal, and nobody is trying to prevent progress, but there are a hundred ways to progress without destroying your right to own physical media.

And quite frankly, nobody in this thread sounds like they're 15 except you. Try having a civil discussion instead of hurling insults and nonsense, you might like it.

Also, not sure how this makes XBone "win" anything Matsui, weren't you saying two days ago that the console war for this gen hasn't even started yet? Hrrrrmmmmm...

Its going to be interesting to see how Sony responds to this since one of their big selling points was no DRM/Always online.

Why does Sony need to "respond"? Their big selling points are a track record of better exclusives, a more powerful console, and a lower price.

Having your competitor make a major misstep in the wrong direction isn't a selling point. It's just a lucky break. The only reason they made the commercial about used games was to kick Microsoft while they were down. Earning those cheap brownie points with consumers.
Debatable. I've never bought a PS3 because a majority of those games that are amazing are single player games (God of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc.) while the 360 always had a better online community and games (Halo, Gears, Forza, etc.).

Theres no doubt the PS4 is more powerful, but what will we see in terms of third party? I bet we only see graphical difference in first party titles.

Right now to me the only difference is $100.

Sunset Overdrive springs to mind immediately.

A game that dynamically adjusts its game play every week. Not in the way that a game like say.. Black Op's 2 does, but in a way that a standard MMO does, yet its not a MMO.

Titanfall as well, since it has no single player campaign, only online. Given what they know now, would they have went that direction with it? Who knows, probably not.

You simply cant argue that when developing a game, you always seek to hit the greatest user base. You could say that most likely only MS first party would have actually made use of those features, since multi-plat titles would have assumed that the PS4 might be offline as well, so adjusted accordingly.

Translation: Paragraph of BS followed by: We at MS now realize that you won't just stomach any BS we throw at you. If we go through with this our console will be a colossal failure, more so than the CD-i. You win, for now.

This doesn't change my console of choice for next gen, but I am still happy to hear this news.  It's good for us all that neither Sony or MS is trying to push something like this.

Sunset Overdrive springs to mind immediately.

A game that dynamically adjusts its game play every week. Not in the way that a game like say.. Black Op's 2 does, but in a way that a standard MMO does, yet its not a MMO.

Titanfall as well, since it has no single player campaign, only online. Given what they know now, would they have went that direction with it? Who knows, probably not.

You simply cant argue that when developing a game, you always seek to hit the greatest user base. You could say that most likely only MS first party would have actually made use of those features, since multi-plat titles would have assumed that the PS4 might be offline as well, so adjusted accordingly.
You are assuming Sony has never offered a multiplayer only game. MAG and Warhawk comes to mind for PS3. Just cause the console requires always online doesn't mean everyone on that console is going to buy that game. So I don't see how if a dev want to make an always online game, not just make a multiplayer only game.

I guess this means you're not buying one now that it supports used games right? RIGHT? I mean shit, you're railing against used games for weeks now.
I preordered both but was always leaning more towards the X1.

Now I'm definitely getting the X1. This is a game changer!
How is this a game changer? You LIKED the no used game policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back