Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if xbox can remove its stupid always on kinect camera it'd be a much more tougher decision to make.

Are we even sure they have completely backpedaled? They could still offer all those features on their digital purchases which would give incentive to purchase digital content. Who knows at least they took a step in the right direction.
Oh you mean like what every game made by EA does now?
I'm pretty sure at some point they will have the option to buy an Xbone with or without the Kinect. But initially they want to see how the sales do at launch with the Kinect bundled with it.

You people clinging on to the family share plan make me laugh. They would have yanked or restricted that feature as soon as they had the numbers. And it was never fully detailed anyway, I highly doubt it was as great as people think it was.
The funny thing is how you treat conjecture as fact. You have no idea what the family share plan would have been like. So take your shit elsewhere. All the new policies they are implementing do nothing for me. If I wanted all these stuff I would buy a PS4... oh wait I'm buying one. So why the fuck do I need two consoles that basically do the same thing.
So the vague description that Microsoft gave should be treated as fact? Guess it only goes one way with you clowns.
It wasn't as vague as make it out to be. There was going to be a digital library. I and a handful of other people could access said library from anywhere and that was enticing enough for me. I understand that you and many others didn't care for putting up with DRM but to me that was a small price to pay to get access to some of these features. Maybe if enough of us complain they'll implement some of those features back.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont get what I'm saying yet, your simply not going to understand so the point is moot.

You'd like me to give you examples of innovative features you could do for a console that isnt out yet, I simply cant do it. If I could, I'd be a Developer and making millions. Sadly, i'm not.

I'd be willing to bet if you talked to Insomniac, or Respawn especially, they might have changed their design choices knowing that now a certain portion of the Xbox One's install base wont get to enjoy their games. At the very least, Titanfall would have most definitely had a single player campaign included... an still might actually, who knows.
People that were originally going to buy the xbox one are still going to be buying the xbox one. Hence your reasoning is flawed. People with bad internet would had never bought the game in the first place so why does that matter to a dev when they are designing a multiplayer only game.
Don't be so sure actually.

Microsoft is going to lose customers over this, if they cant see that, then they are truly blind.

The online only nature of the console was why we wanted it. Now that it's gone.. the excitement sort of died to be honest. Now I'm back to putting in discs, where as before it woudnt matter if I did buy a disc, I could play it without it. I'm back to not having a family share plan and letting my son on the other side of the country borrow my games 6 months later instead of the day they come out, etc etc.

One needs only to read major nelson's blog or check the twitter responses to see that many are now debating if they should even get it.

PS4 vs Xbox One comparison's before were quiet stark. A line was drawn. Now? You've got no line. They both are *identical* in features. The only difference is $100 lower price, exclusives, and PS4 slightly more powerful. The tilt just went toward the PS4, where as before the tilt fluctuated depending upon your perceived value of used games and online only.
You have to be trolling now. MS losing customers over this? Not as many as they are going to gain.

Now if xbox can remove its stupid always on kinect camera it'd be a much more tougher decision to make.

Are we even sure they have completely backpedaled? They could still offer all those features on their digital purchases which would give incentive to purchase digital content. Who knows at least they took a step in the right direction.
I'm pretty sure at some point they will have the option to buy an Xbone with or without the Kinect. But initially they want to see how the sales do at launch with the Kinect bundled with it.
The console won't work without the Kinect plugged in. They've already stated that Kinect is required for every single system to function.

You have to be tolling now. MS losing customers over this? Not as many as they are going to gain.
Are you not paying attention to Reddit and other social media about this?

The common theme is "So they changed it, they still wanted it anyway, fuck them, #PS4".

While they will gain some that were on the fence, those most vocal about the change are still switching. Even in *this thread* you see people who clearly were Xbox fans, still switching because they've said its a broken trust.

So no, not trolling. Just following social media and reading. The reddit /r/gaming thread has over 3000 comments in less then 1 hour 20 minutes. Very few have said "Getting a Xbox 1 now!", while a vast majority have said what I quoted above.

If you dont get what I'm saying yet, your simply not going to understand so the point is moot.

You'd like me to give you examples of innovative features you could do for a console that isnt out yet, I simply cant do it. If I could, I'd be a Developer and making millions. Sadly, i'm not.

I'd be willing to bet if you talked to Insomniac, or Respawn especially, they might have changed their design choices knowing that now a certain portion of the Xbox One's install base wont get to enjoy their games. At the very least, Titanfall would have most definitely had a single player campaign included... an still might actually, who knows.

People that were originally going to buy the xbox one are still going to be buying the xbox one. Hence your reasoning is flawed. People with bad internet would had never bought the game in the first place so why does that matter to a dev when they are designing a multiplayer only game.

Don't be so sure actually.

Microsoft is going to lose customers over this, if they cant see that, then they are truly blind.

The online only nature of the console was why we wanted it. Now that it's gone.. the excitement sort of died to be honest. Now I'm back to putting in discs, where as before it woudnt matter if I did buy a disc, I could play it without it. I'm back to not having a family share plan and letting my son on the other side of the country borrow my games 6 months later instead of the day they come out, etc etc.

One needs only to read major nelson's blog or check the twitter responses to see that many are now debating if they should even get it.

PS4 vs Xbox One comparison's before were quiet stark. A line was drawn. Now? You've got no line. They both are *identical* in features. The only difference is $100 lower price, exclusives, and PS4 slightly more powerful. The tilt just went toward the PS4, where as before the tilt fluctuated depending upon your perceived value of used games and online only.

You have to be tolling now. MS losing customers over this? Not as many as they are going to gain.

Exactly!

Honestly I commend them on changing their story so quickly. We bitched they listened. What more do you want?

As a collector of games, this is only good news for me. The XBox One WAS going to be a wasteland of digital-only content. Now I have the option of collecting physical games for it.

I'm not keen on being able to sell games. I never sell games. And I don't like that GameStop is going to benefit from this. I was kind of looking foward to them getting stung by this move.

I do like that this will allow me to lend games to friends. I like sharing around a game that I found particularly good. And I like games that aren't entirely multi-player focused. Having a system focused almost entirely on multi-player experiences would have been terrible.

The console won't work without the Kinect plugged in. They've already stated that Kinect is required for every single system to function.
Yeah well they also said DRM and always on would be a thing.

You people clinging on to the family share plan make me laugh. They would have yanked or restricted that feature as soon as they had the numbers. And it was never fully detailed anyway, I highly doubt it was as great as people think it was.
The funny thing is how you treat conjecture as fact. You have no idea what the family share plan would have been like. So take your shit elsewhere. All the new policies they are implementing do nothing for me. If I wanted all these stuff I would buy a PS4... oh wait I'm buying one. So why the fuck do I need two consoles that basically do the same thing.
So the vague description that Microsoft gave should be treated as fact? Guess it only goes one way with you clowns.
It wasn't as vague as make it out to be. There was going to be a digital library. I and a handful of other people could access said library from anywhere and that was enticing enough for me. I understand that you and many others didn't care for putting up with DRM but to me that was a small price to pay to get access to some of these features. Maybe if enough of us complain they'll implement some of those features back.
I just don't see why they have to pull these features out on digital purchases. I mean if it was a selling point for going all digital, keep it in there to help promote digital sales? Maybe they still will, I haven't see it reported otherwise.

Oh damn it, I was looking forward to a shared library(Steam takes the idea because it is a good one, and of course, Microsoft has to lose it).  This console is now nothing more than just a more powerful Xbox 360.  

http://kotaku.com/surprise-xbox-one-drm-reversal-requires-day-one-patch-514419715?rev=1371676969

Confirmed, sharing plan is dead. "At launch" seems to leave it open, but, ugh.

""There’s a few things we won’t be able to deliver as a result of this change," Marc Whitten, v.p. of Xbox Live told Kotaku, "One of the things we were very exicted about was 'wherever we go my games are always with me.' Now, of course, your physical games won’t show up that way. The content you bought digitally will. But you’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you. Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch.""

Just like they said an online check-in was required every 24 hours. The only flaw left that they have is the price now, I'm pretty sure the system can work without the Kinect, they just have to allow it.

Wow this is huge news.  I'm happy to hear it.

I just went over to Major Nelson's website and read the comments about it, and most of the top 10 upvoted comments are all about the sharing thing, if we still get it, etc.

There was nothing but vitrol on that site before today about all the awful moves MS was making.  Now that they've made a complete 180, it's all about disappointment that the Game Sharing thing is gone.  I give up on gamers, they really want to have their cake and eat it too.  Instead of the top comments being "Thanks for listening" they're all "What about Gamesharing?"

Sorry to repeat myself, but fuck it is so frustrating.  I guess it's a different set of customers complaining now, but still.  I've very thankful that MS listened to feedback and this has put the Xbox One right back on my radar.

Baby steps. Some form of digital sharing could easily be implemented in the future. It's important to remember how much XBox Live changed over the course of the 360. (as well as the 360's interface in general) It's for the best that they dialed things back for launch. A lot of these services, including the possiblity of locking out used games, could still be added in the future.

The always on-line requirements and system check-in validation was always a bad idea, and won't be missed. The only scenario where that would have actually been important to developers or consumers was single-player games that required constant cloud support. And those were always going to be few and far between. On-line multi-player focused games won't be affected by the loss of this requirement in the slightest.

It was really vague. They never defined it.

1.What games can go in it? Can publishers decide? If EA can decide if Mass Effect 4 can go in the shared game library then the answer would be no. That means the library would have been dominated by first party titles and shovelware.

2. How many games can go in it? What's the limit? 1? 2? 3?

3. How do you add people to your "family"? I bet it's through sub accounts like child accounts.

There's more but those come right to mind. There's just no way this was going to be as good as people think it was.

Wow this is huge news. I'm happy to hear it.

I just went over to Major Nelson's website and read the comments about it, and most of the top 10 upvoted comments are all about the sharing thing, if we still get it, etc.

There was nothing but vitrol on that site before today about all the awful moves MS was making. Now that they've made a complete 180, it's all about disappointment that the Game Sharing thing is gone. I give up on gamers, they really want to have their cake and eat it too. Instead of the top comments being "Thanks for listening" they're all "What about Gamesharing?"

Sorry to repeat myself, but fuck it is so frustrating.
The people will always want more. It's a way of life.

Are you not paying attention to Reddit and other social media about this?

The common theme is "So they changed it, they still wanted it anyway, fuck them, #PS4".

While they will gain some that were on the fence, those most vocal about the change are still switching. Even in *this thread* you see people who clearly were Xbox fans, still switching because they've said its a broken trust.

So no, not trolling. Just following social media and reading. The reddit /r/gaming thread has over 3000 comments in less then 1 hour 20 minutes. Very few have said "Getting a Xbox 1 now!", while a vast majority have said what I quoted above.
no offense but Social Media does not speak for everyone in the country...........look at this thread and it's all the proof you need.

http://kotaku.com/surprise-xbox-one-drm-reversal-requires-day-one-patch-514419715?rev=1371676969

""There’s a few things we won’t be able to deliver as a result of this change," Marc Whitten, v.p. of Xbox Live told Kotaku, "One of the things we were very exicted about was 'wherever we go my games are always with me.' Now, of course, your physical games won’t show up that way. The content you bought digitally will. But you’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you. Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch.""
It's dead. Personally, I thought it was a great idea but the loud few won. This speaks poorly of M$ and their belief on delivering something great. If you don't have confidence in your product then how do you expect others to.

M$ should know better. Folks on message boards represent a small portion of the population and are not indicative of the majority.

I hate to generalize, but I'm going to here since it's obvious that this doesn't apply to every gamer. Gamers are a different breed to me when compared to other fan groups or a specific demographic. Whenever news breaks that gamers don't like, so many of them come out and try to act like they are going to do X or Y because it is against their principles and they are done supporting this company and won't buy this specific game or system.

Then all it takes is a simple change for everyone to back right off of it. This wouldn't happen in politics if a certain candidate flip flopped on his policies. They would actually lose even more credibility and respect.

The reason it doesn't happen in gaming? Because people want reasons to be entertained. People are looking for reasons to buy rather than the other way around. So the second they see that glimmer of what they want, they will be back on board. There is nothing wrong with that, but enough of the false tough guy attitude. "I WILL NEVER BUY THE XBOX ONE BECAUSE I HAVE PRINCIPLEZZZZ!!"

Yes, you will, and statistics will generally prove it. All it took was a simple change of heart by MS and your stance was poked through like a pin through wet tissue paper.

It's dead. Personally, I thought it was a great idea but the loud few won. This speaks poorly of M$ and their belief on delivering something great. If you don't have confidence in your product then how do you expect others to.

M$ should know better. Folks on message boards represent a small portion of the population and are not indicative of the majority.
You're crazy if you think this had to do with message boards. This had to do with pre-orders.

I hate to generalize, but I'm going to here since it's obvious that this doesn't apply to every gamer. Gamers are a different breed to me when compared to other fan groups or a specific demographic. Whenever news breaks that gamers don't like, so many of them come out and try to act like they are going to do X or Y because it is against their principles and they are done supporting this company and won't buy this specific game or system.

Then all it takes is a simple change for everyone to back right off of it. This wouldn't happen in politics if a certain candidate flip flopped on his policies. They would actually lose even more credibility and respect.

The reason it doesn't happen in gaming? Because people want reasons to be entertained. People are looking for reasons to buy rather than the other way around. So the second they see that glimmer of what they want, they will be back on board. There is nothing wrong with that, but enough of the false tough guy attitude. "I WILL NEVER BUY THE XBOX ONE BECAUSE I HAVE PRINCIPLEZZZZ!!"

Yes, you will, and statistics will generally prove it. All it took was a simple change of heart by MS and your stance was poked through like a pin through wet tissue paper.
Bad comparison. "Flip flopping" in politics is only bad because Republican's act like it is. Being thoughtful and changing one's mind as the facts on the ground dictate or more knowledge is gained used to be considered a good thing. That's how you're a politician and not an extremist. And before you rail at me for mentioning Republican's, they're the one's that started that bullshit with their attacks on John Kerry.

I just don't see why they have to pull these features out on digital purchases. I mean if it was a selling point for going all digital, keep it in there to help promote digital sales? Maybe they still will, I haven't see it reported otherwise.
Because they were gonna control the used game market and would potentially make more money...the family sharing was so that you were still able to 'lend' out your game to friends. They can't allow used games AND give everyone the ability to share your digital purchases as well. I assume they'd lose out on alot of money if they allow both.

You're crazy if you think this had to do with message boards. This had to do with pre-orders.
Yeah I agree, I doubt this has anything to do with us on message boards. You know what they say, numbers don't lie. In this case, pre-order numbers.

I don't understand how so many of you already have a console of choice before the consoles are released. I'm waiting for more info before picking what next generation console I buy first let alone knowing what console I will play more as the next generation matures.

This news hasn't changed a thing for me since my 360 hasn't been offline in 7 1/2 years.

This doesn't change my console of choice for next gen, but I am still happy to hear this news. It's good for us all that neither Sony or MS is trying to push something like this.
Iunno, seems straight forward to me. I prefer Sony's exclusives to Microsofts - not just specific titles that have been announced, but their in-house developers in general.

It was really vague. They never defined it.

1.What games can go in it? Can publishers decide? If EA can decide if Mass Effect 4 can go in the shared game library then the answer would be no. That means the library would have been dominated by first party titles and shovelware.

2. How many games can go in it? What's the limit? 1? 2? 3?

3. How do you add people to your "family"? I bet it's through sub accounts like child accounts.

There's more but those come right to mind. There's just no way this was going to be as good as people think it was.
Yes it's always easy to make stawman arguments and speculate based on worse case scenario.

1) All digital games can go on it.

2) Unlimited library

3) 10 family members they can all share the same X1 account.

Oh wow now that sounds wonderful. See what I did there.

Wow this is huge news. I'm happy to hear it.

There was nothing but vitrol on that site before today about all the awful moves MS was making. Now that they've made a complete 180, it's all about disappointment that the Game Sharing thing is gone. I give up on gamers, they really want to have their cake and eat it too. Instead of the top comments being "Thanks for listening" they're all "What about Gamesharing?"

Sorry to repeat myself, but fuck it is so frustrating. I guess it's a different set of customers complaining now, but still. I've very thankful that MS listened to feedback and this has put the Xbox One right back on my radar.
Probably because those who frequent Major Nelson's site were in general excited for the Xbox One's features.

Those features have now been removed, guttered, and possibly never coming back. If you didn't expect those customers, and that's what they were..customers who had in some cases completely paid off their systems, to be upset then I dont know what to say.

Remember, just because User XYZ did not like the features, does not mean every user does not like the features. Remove those features, people are upset... since they gained nothing.

Basically MS took everything that those of us who wanted to buy the console for, removed it, and you expect us to just sit down and not say anything? Those who disliked those policies didnt, so dont expect those who like them to do the same in my opinion.

Yes it's always easy to make stawman arguments and speculate based on worse case scenario.

2) Unlimited library

None of that was documented. You're speculating and acting like it's fact. I was speculating and saying it wasn't ever fully stated. I'm sure you're well aware of this though but the only documents they put out about it doesn't say anything that you just typed.

i buy 90% of my games used. that was the sole reason i wasn't getting a x1. now since they chaged it ill get one down the line when halo 5 comes out. ps4 get my cash at launch.

Agreed, this didn't come about because of a few loud people, they saw the pre order totals after 7 days and said "oh sh-t." Also negative press was starting to seep into the mainstream with the Navy magazine blasting it yesterday. And I'm sure plenty of other factors including people being vocal.

Makes me wonder whose head(s) at Microsoft rolled over this fiasco.

All I can say is thank you Sony for saving the console game industry.
Your bullshit is starting to get annoying Rippn. Like, seriously.

Saving the console industry? You mean keeping it in the 90's?

Like they were discussing on Reddit, we'll have Starship's out in outer space, but you better keep my damn disc based console or else!
What's funny is that people were saying that Xbox One is the future and becoming like Steam...

You know, a service that has been out for 10 years. The future...
yeah.. what happened to X1 being the future with all of these cool new restrictions? I mean "features" ...

2) Unlimited library

None of that was documented. You're speculating and acting like it's fact. I was speculating and saying it wasn't ever fully stated. I'm sure you're well aware of this though but the only documents they put out about it doesn't say anything that you just typed.
No I was not. I stated you were making as straw man argument and I followed suit by doing the same thing as you. You see there are always two sides to the coin. You only like to see things one way. That's fine, everyone got what they wanted. I will probably stick with the PS4 because outside of exclusives there are no differences between the consoles.

Agreed, this didn't come about because of a few loud people, they saw the pre order totals after 7 days and said "oh sh-t." Also negative press was starting to seep into the mainstream with the Navy magazine blasting it yesterday. And I'm sure plenty of other factors including people being vocal.
Great and how exactly do you know this?

Because GS disagrees with you. http://www.ign.com/blogs/splitmindeddude/2013/06/19/xbox-one-pre-orders-stop-at-gamestop/

2) Unlimited library

No I was not. I stated you were making as straw man argument and I followed suit by doing the same thing as you. You see there are always two sides to the coin. You only like to see things one way. That's fine, everyone got what they wanted. I will probably stick with the PS4 because outside of exclusives there are no differences between the consoles.
I wasn't making strawman arguments. What exactly was the strawman? As I see it, I said, you don't know what MS had planned for the "Shared game library" and gave 3 examples of things that they never explained then I provided my opinion of what would have happened AND I admitted those were opinions. There is no strawman here, you don't know what a strawman argument is.

One thing nobody has said: If I am reading the bullet point right, the 24 hour check-in is gone, but you still need to connect to the Internet during system setup. Does that mean that if you don't connect the Internet at least once it's bricked?

While nowhere near as many if they had stayed the course, I can still see a decent number of returns if true.

Great and how exactly do you know this?
We don't know this anymore then we know that it was because they care so much for their consumer "family."

However, more then likely this was a business decision that wasn't really influenced, or at least not heavily influenced by the public outcry. The PS4 was outselling the XBone somewhere between 2:1 and 20:1 depending on where you're reading, obviously MS couldn't ignore numbers like that so they backpedaled to save face and try to get back on the consumers good side and into their wallets.

I know Rippn has a big mouth, but don't let they way he presents an argument blind you to it possibly being a good one.

One thing nobody has said: If I am reading the bullet point right, the 24 hour check-in is gone, but you still need to connect to the Internet during system setup. Does that mean that if you don't connect the Internet at least once it's bricked?

While nowhere near as many if they had stayed the course, I can still see a decent number of returns if true.
That is how I perceive it.

Yeah, it means an Internet connection is required to setup the console. Once it's setup you can chose to never use the Internet again. So if you have no Internet available to you then you still can't use the console.

It requires the internet to be connected because the firmware needs to be updated.

I'm sure once the initial batch of X1's are sold out, that they'll incorporate the firmware upgrade in and it will no longer require it.

Well said. Frankly it's embarrassing for Microsoft. Makes them look like they have no direction, and worse no guts. Would like to have seen two consoles going in totally different directions. We might have gotten some interesting questions answered about what model is truly more profitable for the industry and what impact used games actually have. Now we're just going to be feeding the Gamestop parasite for another gen.

Im sure its their way of trying to get you to set set up a microsoft account for potential use later. But there would be a small number of returns......or people taking their tv and console to Mcdonalds.

Well said. Frankly it's embarrassing for Microsoft. Makes them look like they have no direction, and worse no guts. Would like to have seen two consoles going in totally different directions. We might have gotten some interesting questions answered about what model is truly more profitable for the industry and what impact used games actually have. Now we're just going to be feeding the Gamestop parasite for another gen.
This for sure.

It requires the internet to be connected because the firmware needs to be updated.

I'm sure once the initial batch of X1's are sold out, that they'll incorporate the firmware upgrade in and it will no longer require it.

Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back