Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If MS really wants me to buy a Xbox One, then they need to buy Atlus. Right now, as it stands there isn't anything that says I need a XBox One.

Nothing against the Xbox, I am sure it will be great besides the Kinect which will turn into the Wii Gamepad of lets start putting motion controls where it doesn't belong. I don't need motion controls, I need developers to spend time making gamepad controls that work. Now the spying thing, I use Windows so it's no different because chances are Microsoft probably sends my data through Windows anyway.
Atlus is bankrupt.

It was in the tech demo video that I posted a week or two ago. The guy showing off the tech explains it when showing the voice and controller recognition. That with the advanced facial & voice recognition they will be able to tell who's signed in and then correlate that with the voice and then launch the "Xbox off" command. I'll dig the video up tonight.

Oh then it will fire off an email to the NSA telling them what you had for lunch and to Fubu telling them you like their red shirt and on Wednesdays Edward Snowden will get an email report of your last 7 days activity.

http://m.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/10-overlooked-xbox-one-features-you-should-know-about-1160781

The Kinect is literally rocket science. And I know I get shit for it but I am a huge supporter of it and the 100% install base for the X1.

3. Kinect included means 100% of people have it

Here's another added benefit of the Kinect: it comes with the system out of the box, whereas the PlayStation 4 camera does not.

That means 100 percent of Xbox One owners will also own a Kinect 2.0. What percentage of PS4 owners are going to purchase the $60 (about UK£39, AU$65) camera add-on?

History has shown that PS3's Move controllers (generously counting people who bought more than one Move wand more than once) amounted to about 4.7 percent of overall PS3 owners as of late last year.

Are developers really going to cater to a similar 4.7 percent of the PS4 user base? Sony is likely to encourage it, so maybe there'll be some features thrown its way by first-party developers, but that may just be a waste of valuable development time, all things considered.

Former Sega of America President Bernie Stolar is said to have argued with his own company in favor of the Dreamcast launching with the 56K modem, becoming the first home console to include one in 1999.

Without it, virtually no one would have played or developed an online Dreamcast game in the last decade. The same lesson may apply here.
Something tells me that you're going to be in for a huge let-down when you get it and realize it's just another game console that looks better than the last one. "it's literally rocket science" - the word "literally" is used way too often as hyperbole. If it was "literally rocket science" then the Xbox One would "literally" take off into space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something tells me that you're going to be in for a huge let-down when you get it and realize it's just another game console that looks better than the last one. "it's literally rocket science" - the word "literally" is used way too often as hyperbole. If it was "literally rocket science" then the Xbox One would "literally" take off into space.

On what grounds can you even say that? Every report that has come out has stated that it is leaps and bounds ahead of the first Kinect.

On what grounds can you even say that? Every report that has come out has stated that it is leaps and bounds ahead of the first Kinect.
You're not going to get any meaningful gaming experiences with Kinect 2.0 outside of dance/fitness games. Three years of Kinect trash and people are still going on about "potential". They had three years to develop for it and they haven't done shit. It being more powerful won't change that. The only reason they're including a Kinect in every box is for whole app/tv features thing they're trying to push. Developers will just shoehorn kinect BS into their games. Trust me.

You're not going to get any meaningful gaming experiences with Kinect 2.0 outside of dance/fitness games. Three years of Kinect trash and people are still going on about "potential". They had three years to develop for it and they haven't done shit. It being more powerful won't change that. The only reason they're including a Kinect in every box is for whole app/tv features thing they're trying to push. Developers will just shoehorn kinect BS into their games. Trust me.
For the most part I agree that's probably what will happen but I do think there's plenty of potential outside of just those types of games. Even something slower and exploration based could be pretty fun I think. Something like Myst or that Haunt game that's already out for Kinect. Sure that game might not be very fun but if you imagine better game like that along with a perfect Kinect, I could see it working pretty well for something like that.

Or even smaller things that might not really push anything forward but could still be fun. Like customizable voice recognition or things like weapon switching in game. Instead of using the controller to manually switch you just say the weapon and it switches for you so the action isn't broken up at all. Or a simple "use health" command or cast this or that spell or this or that action. Something specifically like that would be preferable to many over manually using the controller to do it imo.

Still imagining a perfect Kinect, light gun type games would probably be really fun also. I don't know how advanced it is but what if you can just pick up any old toy gun (or a peripheral) and using the kinect it could see what you're doing like pulling the trigger/where precisely you're aiming/reloading etc. If it can be fast with the tracking and accurate, I think people would like it. If if if.

It was in the tech demo video that I posted a week or two ago. The guy showing off the tech explains it when showing the voice and controller recognition. That with the advanced facial & voice recognition they will be able to tell who's signed in and then correlate that with the voice and then launch the "Xbox off" command. I'll dig the video up tonight.

Oh then it will fire off an email to the NSA telling them what you had for lunch and to Fubu telling them you like their red shirt and on Wednesdays Edward Snowden will get an email report of your last 7 days activity.

http://m.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/10-overlooked-xbox-one-features-you-should-know-about-1160781

The Kinect is literally rocket science. And I know I get shit for it but I am a huge supporter of it and the 100% install base for the X1.

3. Kinect included means 100% of people have it

Here's another added benefit of the Kinect: it comes with the system out of the box, whereas the PlayStation 4 camera does not.

That means 100 percent of Xbox One owners will also own a Kinect 2.0. What percentage of PS4 owners are going to purchase the $60 (about UK£39, AU$65) camera add-on?

History has shown that PS3's Move controllers (generously counting people who bought more than one Move wand more than once) amounted to about 4.7 percent of overall PS3 owners as of late last year.

Are developers really going to cater to a similar 4.7 percent of the PS4 user base? Sony is likely to encourage it, so maybe there'll be some features thrown its way by first-party developers, but that may just be a waste of valuable development time, all things considered.

Former Sega of America President Bernie Stolar is said to have argued with his own company in favor of the Dreamcast launching with the 56K modem, becoming the first home console to include one in 1999.

Without it, virtually no one would have played or developed an online Dreamcast game in the last decade. The same lesson may apply here.
I absolutely agree that if the Kinect is going to have any meaningful development it has to come with the system. Every single PS3 peripheral and even mildly successful stuff like the Wii Motion + which actually did deliver on the 1:1 motion and had a few great games like Red Steel 2 & Skyward Sword had virtually nothing developed for it. Whether it will have anything is a big question mark, I just don't believe in it as a gaming device and until we see it out of these extremely controlled, rehearsed and in some cases outright faked circumstances (basically out in the wild) I remain pretty skeptical. Get some good unique software on it and have it actually work in homes as they promise it will and I will be open to changing my stance however.

I think we have different definitions of literally because it is literally not rocket science.

Everything else in that post that I took this quote from is definitely true. I see it as a very bad thing though. Now that 100% of people will have it game makers will probably be pushed hard to put it in their games even in games that really shouldn't have it. I have yet to see a single motion controlled anything that I enjoyed playing. Well not quite true. I own a Wii and when I first bought it I played a decent amount of games but nothing I played I wouldn't have enjoyed more with a regular controller.

The new Kinect may be leaps and bounds ahead of the old one (still not rocket science) but the problem is it doesn't matter how good you make it if many people still don't want motion controls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_btDBBWwk

Game Informer's Ben Reeves hits the streets of Minneapolis, Minnesota to find out what the public is saying about the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4.

I think we have different definitions of literally because it is literally not rocket science.

Everything else in that post that I took this quote from is definitely true. I see it as a very bad thing though. Now that 100% of people will have it game makers will probably be pushed hard to put it in their games even in games that really shouldn't have it. I have yet to see a single motion controlled anything that I enjoyed playing. Well not quite true. I own a Wii and when I first bought it I played a decent amount of games but nothing I played I wouldn't have enjoyed more with a regular controller.

The new Kinect may be leaps and bounds ahead of the old one (still not rocket science) but the problem is it doesn't matter how good you make it if many people still don't want motion controls.

The rocket science quote that everyone is giving me shit over are not my words. Those words have been posted in several articles.

I think you all are completely playing down the Kinect for no reason and without justification.

Everything out of the demos show that it will be leaps and bounds beyond the original Kinect. And also show that there will be more use for it than just dance games.

I've said this 100x in this thread, I'm in this for way more than games I want the entertainment value. A true family entertainment box that includes games, TV, sports and entertainment for my entire family (wife who does not play games & my kids).

So I love the Kinect because my kids can Skype with their grandparents without using my phone the iPad or laptop. For the voice activated controllable features and for the in-game fun.

I believe that the forced inclusion in games will be more on the PS Eye and the move controls.

MS doesn't need to push developers to use the Kinect because they don't need to sell the peripheral it's included. So some developers will chose to make great games for the Kinect and some will make shitty ones. Some will add it as a throw away feature and some will add it as a killer feature. I can definitely see it having more potential with the 2.0.

The Eye on the other hand is destined for failure. And for some that may not matter but still Sony will want to push that feature, they put a light bar in the controller for god sakes, so you will see a low install base, shovel ware and shitty integration in first party games.

MS is definitely going about this very intelligently trying to take over the living room and integrate itself in the family experience where everyone can get something out of it.

Like I said I love playing games when I have the time after my little ones and wife are asleep. But I am not hardcore to say the least. I want something that my entire family will enjoy and that is the X1.

If you want to just play games get a PS4.

Gaming wise I think they both are going to be very similar so pick which one has the games that you like best buy if someone is going for a complete entertainment package I don't know how the X1 couldn't be the top choice. From Kinect to the NFL and HDMI in along with Halo, Gears and Titanfall. To me it's a no brainer but that's what I want out of my box. You guys obviously want something different and that's fine with me.

Enjoy your PS4's I know I'm going to enjoy my X1! Sorry that makes some of you angry. :D

Exactly. The people have spoken and relegated motion gaming for dance & fitness games. That's it. It doesn't matter how accurate K2.0 is. WM+ was 1:1 and people still didn't care and even shrugged off the mighty Zelda because of it.

MS has shown us bupkis as to why we need to pay $100 for this device. Not a single app. Not a single must have game. The 'input' button as well as my mute and channel buttons work fine on my remote. Watching live tv (which people have done since the 50s) is not a feature. My 360 automatically logs me in without a $100 camera peripheral. Again, not a feature.

People bought the Wii based on potential. People bought Move based on potential. People bought WM+ based on potential. People bought the Kinect based on potential. Trend? How many times do people need to get burned paying for 'potential' instead of paying(or not) for what the product actually does?

Out of the box, people are paying for a device to get targeted advertising on their dash. If that weren't bad enough, that's on top of paying for Live to get ads.

Don't take this as a troll post, Xbox has been my console of choice since the original. Just a disenfranchised xbox guy trying to see through all MS's bullshit with this system.

The rocket science quote that everyone is giving me shit over are not my words. Those words have been posted in several articles.

I think you all are completely playing down the Kinect for no reason and without justification.

Everything out of the demos show that it will be leaps and bounds beyond the original Kinect. And also show that there will be more use for it than just dance games.

I've said this 100x in this thread, I'm in this for way more than games I want the entertainment value. A true family entertainment box that includes games, TV, sports and entertainment for my entire family (wife who does not play games & my kids).

So I love the Kinect because my kids can Skype with their grandparents without using my phone the iPad or laptop. For the voice activated controllable features and for the in-game fun.

I believe that the forced inclusion in games will be more on the PS Eye and the move controls.

MS doesn't need to push developers to use the Kinect because they don't need to sell the peripheral it's included. So some developers will chose to make great games for the Kinect and some will make shitty ones. Some will add it as a throw away feature and some will add it as a killer feature. I can definitely see it having more potential with the 2.0.

The Eye on the other hand is destined for failure. And for some that may not matter but still Sony will want to push that feature, they put a light bar in the controller for god sakes, so you will see a low install base, shovel ware and shitty integration in first party games.

MS is definitely going about this very intelligently trying to take over the living room and integrate itself in the family experience where everyone can get something out of it.

Like I said I love playing games when I have the time after my little ones and wife are asleep. But I am not hardcore to say the least. I want something that my entire family will enjoy and that is the X1.

Gaming wise I think they both are going to be very similar so pick which one has the games that you like best buy if someone is going for a complete entertainment package I don't know how the X1 couldn't be the top choice. From Kinect to the NFL and HDMI in along with Halo, Gears and Titanfall. To me it's a no brainer but that's what I want out of my box. You guys obviously want something different and that's fine with me.

Enjoy your PS4's I know I'm going to enjoy my X1! Sorry that makes some of you angry. :D
I gave you my justification on why it will be garbage in my previous post but I guess you missed it. However, I'm happy the Kinect 2.0 will make wacthing tv and skyping easier for you and you're family. For me though, MS hasn't shown anything to warrant its inclusion with the system and I'll buy one when I dont have to pay extra for a gimmick that I don't want/need. And how the hell is the PS Eye "destined for failure"? Becasue its not included in the box? Give me a fucking break.

The only person getting angry is you any time someone suggests the possibility of something negative about the x1. You keep bringing up halo, gears and cod, but am I the only one who doesn't want to see another space marine or faceless jarhead? Wasn't there a time when games were about creativity and new experiences instead of just pandering to the lowest common denominator of teenage boys who want to play at being in the army? This isn't necessarily even an x1 comment, but it seems like most of the ms exclusives at this point are all things that seem like they should attract people of a much lower intellect or level of maturity than I'd expect from this site. Imean, I can definitely understand being invested in a character or story, but at least for me those characters would have to have some semblance of a personality for that to happen.

I gave you my justification on why it will be garbage in my previous post but I guess you missed it. However, I'm happy the Kinect 2.0 will make wacthing tv and skyping easier for you and you're family. For me though, MS hasn't shown anything to warrant its inclusion with the system and I'll buy one when I dont have to pay extra for a gimmick that I don't want/need. And how the hell is the PS Eye "destined for failure"? Becasue its not included in the box? Give me a fucking break.

You are ridiculous. I'm sorry you are right I should just say fuck it and get a PS4 and be awesome like everyone else. I provided my justification. You do have to buy the damn thing it's America. You have the right to not buy it and the right to continue to be an ass to me. I have never fired at you. And to think we have crossed paths for years on this forum and had a good relationship. But so be I have defended the X1 you have acted like shot towards me.

Your right the PS4 doesn't have any of those types of games... Way more intelligent games play PlayStation. :lol:

Xbox One
Below
Crimson Dragon
D4
Dead Rising 3
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo Sequel
Killer Instinct
Kinect Sports Rivals
Quantum Break
Project Spark
Rabbids Invasion
RYSE: Son of Rome
Sunset Overdrive
Zumba Party Fitness

PS4
Deep Down
DriveClub
inFamous: Second Son
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Octodad: Deadliest Catch
The Order: 1886

Both
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
The Crew
Destiny
The Division
Dragon Age Inquisition
Dying Light
EA UFC
The Elder Scrolls Online
FIFA 14
Final Fantasy XV
Just Dance 2014
Kingdom Hearts 3
Mad Max
Madden NFL 25
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
Mirror's Edge 2
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed Rivals
Skylanders SWAP Force
Sniper Elite 3
Star Wars Battlefront
Thief
Watch Dogs
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
The Witness
Wolfenstein: The New Order
The Evil Within
Trials Fusion

Games that will also be on the 360/PS3
Blacklight: Retribution (PS4)
Daylight (PS4)
DC Universe Online (PS4)
Don't Starve (PS4)
Fantasia: Music Evolved (Xbox One)
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS4)
LocoCycle (Xbox One)
Minecraft (Xbox One)
Mercenary Kings (PS4)
Oddworld: New n' Tasty (PS4)
Outlast (PS4)
PlanetSide 2 (PS4)
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (Xbox One/PS4)
Primal Carnage: Genesis (PS4)
Ray's The Dead (PS4)
Titanfall (Xbox One)
Transistor (PS4)
Warframe (PS4)
War Thunder (PS4)
Zoo Tycoon (Xbox One)

Doesn't make me angry personally. You are entitled to your opinions as much as I disagree with them.

I know the rocket science quote was in a presentation first. Still doesn't make it true. Although the presentation did not include the word literally IIRC which is why we're giving you shit over it.

People are playing down the Kinect based on all past experiences with motion controls not for no reason. You are playing it up on guess and MS PR hype. As someone else said earlier you are obviously very excited about the thing but I also think you are going to be disappointed when it turns out to be nothing revolutionary and relegated to the casual market, dance/fitness games, and out of place forced inclusion in some bigger titles. As Corvin said earlier as well all of these motion things have been bought on potential and as of yet nothing good has come of them, I see no reason this new Kinect will be any different. Just a guess obviously, only time will tell.

As I said in a previous post leaps and bounds ahead in the tech means nothing when a lot of people don't want it and again based on all past motion controls it will probably be relegated to the casual market, dance/fitness games for the most part, and silly out of place integration in some bigger titles.

If you want to Skype through your X1 then the Kinect is obviously a plus for you. There's no arguing with that one.

I think you are flat out wrong about the forced inclusion. I think PS won't push for it at all because no one will own it while MS will push for it hard because everyone has it and they want to be able to justify making everyone buy it.

The Eye is definitely destined for failure and I say good riddance. Same as I would say to the Kinect if it were to disappear. If you think the Kinect will have any less shovelware and shitty integration I think you're sorely mistaken though.

I respect that you and others want the Kinect, I hate the very idea of the thing. I just wish the damn thing was optional. All that being said I'm going to attempt to stop talking shit on the Kinect around here. It's here to stay unfortunately and nothings gonna change that. Anyone wanna actually talk about the X1 for once instead of us all arguing in circles with each other? Who's excited for Dead Rising 3, I'm a little worried they are going in a weird direction with what looks like a more serious tone, the gritty look, and getting rid of the time limits but still it's looking like a pretty good game.

The Kinect has never appealed to me until a couple of weeks ago I was house siting for my cuz and he has one for his kids and I had fun playing it. He only had the one free adventures game which wasn't much fun but I downloaded a couple of demos and It wwas pretty cool. Here is my question as someone who knows nothing about the Kinect to those who have it, say I eventually break down and get the Xbox one with it, am I able to play head to head with friends via Xbox live? I would like to play some sports games (tennis, golf, etc) over live and talking smack the entire time...lol.

I don't think there are any current Kinect titles that have online play. They haven't said anything about 2.0 since there's only been like 2 games even mentioned for it (Fantasia and Sports Rivals).

WV Matsui - you need to realize that it is more likely people will be skeptical of the new Kinect based on what we've gotten with the older one.  For sure it will be improved, but I'm taking a wait and see approach on that.  It isn't any more ridiculous for people to put it down based on past Kinect experience than it is for you to hype it up based on MS press releases and a few tech demos.

And I say that as someone who probably enjoyed Kinect more than most.  I don't crap all over motion controls like the cool kids on CAG.  To be honest, the Move is my favorite of the bunch - but I like features of all of them.  I like the Kinect since it is so easy for my kids to jump (literally ;)) into a game like Kinect Party.  But IMO it remains to be seen how it will be used for more in-depth/intense games.  And the worry that some have is that precisely because it is included in every system, MS will pressure devs to shoehorn it into games where it doesn't necessarily make sense.  Think Wii waggle...  I know for sure I don't want to be screaming things at my console during gameplay (outside of family party game type things) so the voice recognition is of little interest to me beyond the turn on/turn off features which I would use only when the kids are doing Kinect-only stuff (and thus I don't need a regular controller).  The current Kinect was so frustrating in that respect.  I often have to repeat things and it almost never picks up the kids voices.  I assume that is one thing that will be improved and that's great.  But that doesn't mean much beyond removal of a bit of frustration.

I don't dismiss motion controls out of hand-I've hand good experiences with the Wii and Move. There hasn't been much of anything with Kinect beyond the expected dance/exercise titles. The main difference with Kinect is literally the whole "you are the controller" aspect. It has yet to show anything where that's actually a benefit and in most cases it's a huge detriment. I've mentioned it before, what even remotely worthwhile Kinect titles exist? It's hard to name more than a small handful.

I hate to break it to the Kinect haters but the Kinect wasnt a failure and was better than you think. 

It may not have been for everyone but considering it was an add on, it sold ok and actually is useful for more than the gaming aspect. If you hate the Kinect, thats fine but it doeesnt mean it's garbage or the new one is going to be more garbage.

You are ridiculous. I'm sorry you are right I should just say fuck it and get a PS4 and be awesome like everyone else. I provided my justification. You do have to buy the damn thing it's America. You have the right to not buy it and the right to continue to be an ass to me. I have never fired at you. And to think we have crossed paths for years on this forum and had a good relationship. But so be I have defended the X1 you have acted like shot towards me.
Didn't mean to sound hostile, sorry about that. The Xbox One is obviously the console that appeals to you the most (Kinect and all :razz:) and there's nothing wrong with that. I just hope they'll make the Kinect optional at some point so I can buy one. Like I said before, MS hasn't shown anything to warrant its mandatory inclusion with the system and after the whole DRM reversal I'm very optimistic that we'll see an SKU without one down the line.

I'm also still waiting to see how Kinect 2 performs without optimal lighting conditions.  All the demos I've seen are in these large, perfectly-lit rooms.  I know Kinect 1 started off the same way and then when people got them home the recognition wasn't nearly as good.  Also during the demo at E3 for it he was talking about how great Kinect is for fitness, which is another reason I expect lots of dance/fitness games for it.  There is definitely some potential there, but until it's realized I'm not that interested.  Just think of a survival horror game that monitors your heart rate.  That could be really cool.

And outside of the launch titles (Adventures, Sports) and dance/fitness games, the rest of the games sold like shit. The peripheral may be a success but I don't think the game attach ratio was a success.

The Kinect has never appealed to me until a couple of weeks ago I was house siting for my cuz and he has one for his kids and I had fun playing it. He only had the one free adventures game which wasn't much fun but I downloaded a couple of demos and It wwas pretty cool. Here is my question as someone who knows nothing about the Kinect to those who have it, say I eventually break down and get the Xbox one with it, am I able to play head to head with friends via Xbox live? I would like to play some sports games (tennis, golf, etc) over live and talking smack the entire time...lol.
That's just it, the Kinect is fun... until the novelty wears off a month later (unless you're into dance games).

As for online play, Kinect Adventures let you play on Live.

Yes they've sold a lot of units but the real money with any of that is software and the attach rate for Kinect is absolutely abysmal. People buy on average 2-3  games for Kinect, and that's it, they are done, and those are the more positive estimates, there are others that put it as low as one. This was a similar issue with the Wii, no developers were making money for it because nobody bought anything that wasn't a dance/exercise game or made by Nintendo. Nintendo made money on the Wii, almost no one else did, you have a similar situation with the Kinect, and with 2.0 it being included in the box just like motion control was included with the Wii, I don't see a whole lot of hope here. Yes it has uses outside of that, but I'm willing to bet good money that they won't work nearly as well as promised once they are out in the real world. Gesture-based controls are generally terrible(and even with 1:1 motion it's just not well-suited for most types of games), voice recognition is generally terrible, Microsoft doesn't have a fix for that, they have controlled demos to show off some pie in the sky potential that can go right up there with the "magic" of the cloud, mode 7, blast processing, Toy Story-esque graphics and all the other nebulous bullshit console companies have been feeding gamers over the years.

For the most part I agree that's probably what will happen but I do think there's plenty of potential outside of just those types of games. Even something slower and exploration based could be pretty fun I think. Something like Myst or that Haunt game that's already out for Kinect. Sure that game might not be very fun but if you imagine better game like that along with a perfect Kinect, I could see it working pretty well for something like that.

Or even smaller things that might not really push anything forward but could still be fun. Like customizable voice recognition or things like weapon switching in game. Instead of using the controller to manually switch you just say the weapon and it switches for you so the action isn't broken up at all. Or a simple "use health" command or cast this or that spell or this or that action. Something specifically like that would be preferable to many over manually using the controller to do it imo.

Still imagining a perfect Kinect, light gun type games would probably be really fun also. I don't know how advanced it is but what if you can just pick up any old toy gun (or a peripheral) and using the kinect it could see what you're doing like pulling the trigger/where precisely you're aiming/reloading etc. If it can be fast with the tracking and accurate, I think people would like it. If if if.
IDK. I still think there's a huge chunk of gamers who are like me and have no interest in any kind of motion control or voice command type stuff no matter how fast and accurate it is. I've been playing games, using computers etc. with traditional controllers, keyboards and mice for going on 3 decades now, and just have no interest in controlling them other ways.

Maybe motion control will get better and catch on with the mainstream. Or maybe it will get better and catch on with younger generations less wed to traditional controls, and less stuck in their ways than I am. Time will tell, and if that day comes I'd just tell gaming to pound sand and just spend more time on movies, reading and running which are hobbies I enjoy more than gaming anyway and that I don't have to worry about fundamentally changing.

Yes they've sold a lot of units but the real money with any of that is software and the attach rate for Kinect is absolutely abysmal. People buy on average 2-3 games for Kinect, and that's it, they are done, and those are the more positive estimates, there are others that put it as low as one. This was a similar issue with the Wii, no developers were making money for it because nobody bought anything that wasn't a dance/exercise game or made by Nintendo. Nintendo made money on the Wii, almost no one else did, you have a similar situation with the Kinect, and with 2.0 it being included in the box just like motion control was included with the Wii, I don't see a whole lot of hope here. Yes it has uses outside of that, but I'm willing to bet good money that they won't work nearly as well as promised once they are out in the real world. Gesture-based controls are generally terrible(and even with 1:1 motion it's just not well-suited for most types of games), voice recognition is generally terrible, Microsoft doesn't have a fix for that, they have controlled demos to show off some pie in the sky potential that can go right up there with the "magic" of the cloud, mode 7, blast processing, Toy Story-esque graphics and all the other nebulous bullshit console companies have been feeding gamers over the years.

100% install = more games and more implementation. That's what I was saying earlier. I really think that by including it there will be more games.

The article I posted last night talked about this with the PS Move. With a 4-6% install base it's not worth it for developers to produce move only games or really worry about great integration. Hell even The Show only had home run derby until this year.

Well that takes care of one complaint, now we just need to see some good games.

I know everyone knows that I really support the Kinect but that demo is pretty damn slick!

WV, setting aside the fact that you're ignoring the slim-to-nill indie support the X1 is going to have, look at both companies track records, not just launch titles. You can't deny that one has always appealed to a certain breed of gander.

I honestly don't see any need for kinect for myself. I doubt I'll use it more than once or twice. The only time I really see myself using it is to turn the xbox on or play a specific game

WV, setting aside the fact that you're ignoring the slim-to-nill indie support the X1 is going to have, look at both companies track records, not just launch titles. You can't deny that one has always appealed to a certain breed of gander.

I'm just being honest here... Indy games don't appeal to everyone. I haven't played one I have enjoyed, but that's me. I like sports, action adventure and shooters. Just what I like. I'm not a "dude bro" I'm a late 30s father who just likes to take small chunks of time to play a few rounds of Halo MP or even Last of Us MP to relax for a while. Next week ill be playing NCAA for a few months. I hardly ever finish games but I enjoy them and do collect them from time to time. I still have all of my old original systems.

Anyway, Gamer and Shock can tell you from knowing me from the CAG PS3 gamesharing forum that I don't purchase the Nuni Ku Ni or whatever type games. I don't play JRPG or really know what hey are. Played FF on PSX a little but haven't played anything like that sense. Those types of games don't appeal to me. The last RPG like games that I enjoyed were the little bit of Skyrim and Fallout I played and the RPG elements in State of Decay.

That doesn't make me a dude bro, it's just my way of playing and what I enjoy. So the games probably fit better for me on the X1.

That's why all the indie stuff doesn't bother me at all.

I'm going to be honest here too, Kinect or Kinect games does not appeal to everyone as well too.

Totally agreed and that's fine and smart business IMHO. But I believe that MS really feels that the Kinect offers a great benefit to their overall experience which is why they are going to continue to include it. The price may eventually drop to $399 in a year or two but I think it may always include the Kinect.

I don't think Indy games will really affect console sales at first, but with the scaling way back of AAA titles and today's bigger indies becoming tomorrows AA, if all a system is getting is AAA, you are going to see LONG software droughts which amounts to systems collecting dust and possibly being returned and certainly not making anybody money. Now MS has made one or two steps towards being more developer friendly like removing their ridiculously high price to patch a game, but they've got a long ways to go there.

100% install = more games and more implementation. That's what I was saying earlier. I really think that by including it there will be more games.
I specifically compared to this to the Wii which had the motion control to begin with, you ignored this. I think we can all agree that MS isn't nearly the game studio that Sony or Nintendo are, they don't have the people. the experience or the track record, it's never been their strong suit. But if they aren't leading the way with some strong software for the Kinect, the 3rd parties aren't likely to follow suit, and even if third parties do, we've seen how that works. They go with safe knockoffs and outright garbage in some cases.

I don't think Indy games will really affect console sales at first, but with the scaling way back of AAA titles and today's bigger indies becoming tomorrows AA, if all a system is getting is AAA, you are going to see LONG software droughts which amounts to systems collecting dust and possibly being returned and certainly not making anybody money. Now MS has made one or two steps towards being more developer friendly like removing their ridiculously high price to patch a game, but they've got a long ways to go there.

I specifically compared to this to the Wii which had the motion control to begin with, you ignored this. I think we can all agree that MS isn't nearly the game studio that Sony or Nintendo are, they don't have the people. the experience or the track record, it's never been their strong suit. But if they aren't leading the way with some strong software for the Kinect, the 3rd parties aren't likely to follow suit, and even if third parties do, we've seen how that works. They go with safe knockoffs and outright garbage in some cases.

I saw your comment and I agree about the Wii as I had one and ended up using it just to watch Netflix in my bedroom before I sold it.

The X1 and 360 are completely different than the Wii though and you have to agree with that. The 360 didn't fail because of the Kinect and the X1 won't fail because of its inclusion. The Wii was 100% motion gaming. The X1 is not that at all. It's just a piece of the entertainment experience.

Honestly, this is why it's a good thing for both Sony and MS to both do well with the angles they're taking.

The PS3 and 4 are arguably better platforms for the hardcore gamers who cares about indie games, JPRGs and other Japanese developed games.  The 360/X1 are arguably better for the more casual/mainstream American gamer who's mainly playing shooters, sports games and other western developer dominated genres.  With motion controls the X1 will be the way to go to probably for people who dig those, since Kinect is packed in it will get supported more than the PS eye that's optional.

Those are the strengths of the consoles, and one's interest in games will determine what console fits them better.  And that's better than having two consoles that are largely identical as most of us can save money by just getting one of them, and for those who do get both at least there's enough different to really justify it vs. just having both for a few exclusives that aren't really any different than exclusives on the other system.

Honestly, this is why it's a good thing for both Sony and MS to both do well with the angles they're taking.

The PS3 and 4 are arguably better platforms for the hardcore gamers who cares about indie games, JPRGs and other Japanese developed games. The 360/X1 are arguably better for the more casual/mainstream American gamer who's mainly playing shooters, sports games and other western developer dominated genres. With motion controls the X1 will be the way to go to probably for people who dig those, since Kinect is packed in it will get supported more than the PS eye that's optional.

Those are the strengths of the consoles, and one's interest in games will determine what console fits them better. And that's better than having two consoles that are largely identical as most of us can save money by just getting one of them, and for those who do get both at least there's enough different to really justify it vs. just having both for a few exclusives that aren't really any different than exclusives on the other system.

Best post in this thread yet. I agree 100%. They both appeal to different audiences and can both succeed.

I don't dismiss motion controls out of hand-I've hand good experiences with the Wii and Move. There hasn't been much of anything with Kinect beyond the expected dance/exercise titles. The main difference with Kinect is literally the whole "you are the controller" aspect. It has yet to show anything where that's actually a benefit and in most cases it's a huge detriment. I've mentioned it before, what even remotely worthwhile Kinect titles exist? It's hard to name more than a small handful.
http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=9674

There are other kinect exclusive games that have online play as well, however that one in particular my son had a blast with. I actually played it as well with him and it was well done. I know it got bashed in review sites, but honestly I did not find it that difficult to control, nor did my 7 year old, so uh yeah :p

I know we've talked about dance/party games, but Dance Central really deserves more credit. That game is fantastic. Spent so many damn hours on that with my daughter and her friends, laughing our ass off at the ridiculousness that was me attempting to dance like Usher or something. :X The entire series has been absolutely nothing but positives for me, filled with fantastic memories far more appealing then say.. Zelda or any other game I've ever played honestly. (Once you get a family, your best memories will come from those funny moments playing with your kids, trust me ;P )

The article I posted last night talked about this with the PS Move. With a 4-6% install base it's not worth it for developers to produce move only games or really worry about great integration. Hell even The Show only had home run derby until this year.
Pure speculation and wishful thinking on your part with no factual basis whatsoever. By comparison, the Sixaxis had 100% install and that did not equal more games and more implementation. Now I am not equating the Kinect 2.0 with the Sixaxis, but I am merely trying to point out the flaw in your statement. It's no different than the idea that the all-digital game library would result in lower priced games.

I have a feeling that developers will sub in Kinect 2.0 tracking/voice for controller input just like the dreaded Wii waggle.  Just because the new control inputs are there doesn't mean that all (or even most) games will use them effectively.

Pure speculation and wishful thinking on your part with no factual basis whatsoever. By comparison, the Sixaxis had 100% install and that did not equal more games and more implementation. Now I am not equating the Kinect 2.0 with the Sixaxis, but I am merely trying to point out the flaw in your statement. It's no different than the idea that the all-digital game library would result in lower priced games.

To be fair the sixaxis really can't even be used to compare.

I'm not saying it is a system seller for everyone but for some it can be.

Gaming is so elitist nowadays. Hard to believe how things have changed since I got my first Atari at release :D

I saw your comment and I agree about the Wii as I had one and ended up using it just to watch Netflix in my bedroom before I sold it.

The X1 and 360 are completely different than the Wii though and you have to agree with that. The 360 didn't fail because of the Kinect and the X1 won't fail because of its inclusion. The Wii was 100% motion gaming. The X1 is not that at all. It's just a piece of the entertainment experience.
Well the Wii in terms of pure sales wasn't a failure either, they made so much off that and the DS (and are continuing to make plenty of money off the 3DS now) that even Michael Pachter, who continually says Nintendo is doomed to failure this gen, has said they can probably continue to fail for a couple decades before they are even in serious trouble. The Kinect is not integral to the 360 experience, MS is pushing Kinect 2.0 like it is, and they don't have any software to really back that up as of yet, and we've yet to see if it really works as advertised in the real world. The Wii had Nintendo to make super-successful games. You don't have that same commitment from Microsoft as of yet. It may happen, but given their development history and what was shown at E3 I doubt it.

I don't think people are being elitist.  People just have their own preferences in what types of games they enjoy, whether they enjoy motion controls or not etc.

I couldn't care less what types of games others play, what types of control schemes they like etc.  As long as I can play the genres I like with traditional controls, I'm good.  There should be plenty of room on the market for all types of games and control experiences out there.  I don't feel elite or superior for liking the games I do--hell most of the stuff I play are mainstream FPS, WRPGs etc.--I just like regular controls and hate motion controls as I game to relax and veg out and motion controls conflict with that.

Developers just need to focus on building games around motion controls (Dance Central etc.) and learn to keep any motion/voice stuff as totally optional in traditional genres, and not force things like waggle for spin jump in Mario galaxy etc. into games and I'm good.  I can avoid the motion control games, and disable them in other games and just use sticks and buttons.

As for the earlier comment of enjoying motion controls once you have a family, moot for me as I've never wanted kids and already got snipped to be sure I never do! :D

Pure speculation and wishful thinking on your part with no factual basis whatsoever.
That's the argument I love. I have a friend that parrots the same thing. Imagine the Kinect seeing me having a heart attack and calls 911! That would be awesome! Since it's included someone will create something awesome! Imagine this! imagine that! yada yada yada. Those ideas are all well and good but at the end of the day they're just that, ideas. Kinect does none of these things.

It's blind faith. There's nothing wrong with buying something based on potential. As I mentioned before, a LOT of us did with the Wii, Move and Kinect 1.0. More power to anyone that does. It's the claim that a 100% install base is going to magically result in a glut of apps and games that prove that Kinect is worth it that is naive. Trying to make it a factual argument is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back