Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
demaul1114 just lost all the respect from me after the comments he made last night and pretty  much calling everyone on this website a idiot.

guess what demaul not all americans play games like call of duty and alot of people don't like jrpg games that is nothing but clicking. 

Anyway, sure its been discussed in another thread, but looks like Julie Larson is the big winner in the mix up. Not really sure how I feel about some chick who has absolutely no gaming experience heading up Devices Group... other then perhaps knowing she will have little day to day influence over the X1. To put a positive spin on it if you want, she is known for being able to meld teams together, and is a great boss from all previous reports in the Windows division.

/Still on the fence though.
If I am reading this correctly, they are breaking up the Xbox division, with one VP now over the hardware and a separate VP over the software/systems? Before I unleash a flurry of corporate incognizance and how this will be a collossal failure, I want to make sure that's correct.

Regardless, I doubt Ballmer made this decision anyway. I'd bet they had Accenture or Bain come in, do some benchmarking motions and deliver some nicely packaged powerpoint recommendation. The right hand does not work with the left in a large corporation. This reorg or "realignment" may result in Ballmer's departure in a few years. And she's from the Windows division, WTF?

This makes no sense at all.

If I am reading this correctly, they are breaking up the Xbox division, with one VP now over the hardware and a separate VP over the software/systems? Before I unleash a flurry of corporate incognizance and how this will be a collossal failure, I want to make sure that's correct.

Regardless, I doubt Ballmer made this decision anyway. I'd bet they had Accenture or Bain come in, do some benchmarking motions and deliver some nicely packaged powerpoint recommendation. The right hand does not work with the left in a large corporation. This reorg or "realignment" may result in Ballmer's departure in a few years. And she's from the Windows division, WTF?

This makes no sense at all.
why should you be shocked ms has gone down hill since gates retired. i never would think in my life i would miss gates at ms and jobs at apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's not like this is new, for all their negatives Gates & Jobs were guys willing to have clear visions and take risks, then when they retire/pass away you are left with corporate stooges with no vision.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/microsofts-alleged-collaboration-with-nsa-surveillance-programs-detailed

Microsoft's Alleged Collaboration with NSA Surveillance Programs Detailed.
Company reportedly provided encryption workarounds for Skype, Hotmail, SkyDrive, and other services.

"Although Xbox products and services were not mentioned, it stands to reason that Microsoft's gaming business would not be immune to government intelligence requests."
People should be mad at the government and not these corporations. Do you know what agencies like the FCC and NSA do to businesses that don't cooperate? Basically make it impossible to operate.

I have been playing NCAA 14 this evening.

I am the dudebro gamer your parents have warned you about!

All those games are buggy as hell and have been. The demo made it so I didn't want to get that.

Frankly, nothing is immune to government intelligence requests anymore.  We just have to assume that all our data can be accessed and keep that in mind when posting online, sending e-mails, chatting over Voip or online games etc.

I don't like it at all on principle.  But I also don't do anything remotely illegal, or have any dark secrets or anything, so I have nothing to hide so I can live with it.

People should be mad at the government and not these corporations. Do you know what agencies like the FCC and NSA do to businesses that don't cooperate? Basically make it impossible to operate.
Oh I totally agree.

I'm just so annoyed that the Xbox One is required to come with Kinect...I'm worried just how far Microsoft may be forced to go because of the NSA.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620476

MS + NSA reveal. Wil this affect the Kinect?

All this NSA spying crap can't be good for MS and their "always on" camera bundled with your new $500 console. I mean I dont give a crap and I know some of my hardcore xbox buddies dont care and will be buying it day one but outside of that this news can't be good for business. I can see a lot of paranoid casuals shying away from it becasue of all the NSA BS. Really bad timing for MS in that regard.

All this NSA spying crap can't be good for MS and their "always on" camera bundled with your new $500 console. I mean I dont give a crap and I know some of my hardcore xbox buddies dont care and will be buying it day one but outside of that this news can't be good for business. I can see a lot of paranoid casuals shying away from it becasue of all the NSA BS. Really bad timing for MS in that regard.
But it never had to always be on and now even less so.

But I do agree, it's like they can't get out of their own way right now. Who's having the worse summer, Microsoft or the New England Patriots?

If you can turn the damn thing off, I don't know why they won't let you disconnect it as well.  Makes no sense to me. I mean, I don't have the space anyways for that thing in my current set up, and I don't want to have to to let it hang behind my TV and Entertainment Center.  It will look real trashy.

If you can turn the damn thing off, I don't know why they won't let you disconnect it as well. Makes no sense to me. I mean, I don't have the space anyways for that thing in my current set up, and I don't want to have to to let it hang behind my TV and Entertainment Center. It will look real trashy.
My only thought is they're hoping that since it has to be hooked up more people will give it a shot and end up liking it for navigating things etc.

But yeah, it can be a pain to fit a camera in the home theater set up with it not looking trashy. I had a Kinect 1 for a while (MS sent me a Kinect 360 bundle when replacing my console after the hacking debacle detailed in my CAG blog) and it was ok when I had the rear projection set as it just sat on top the TV. Looked a little dumb, but not too bad.

Once I got a new LED set I just ditched it as I barely used it and didn't want to buy a bracket to put it on top the TV and didn't have anywhere else to put it really as putting it in front and center below the TV blocked the TV's remote sensor.

A casual will be in the store and go oh the new Xbox comes with the Kinect? Cool! Ok here you go!

No way they go holy shit who will be listening to me???? F this I'm getting a PS4 this is bs.

Everyone blows everything out of proportion. In our small world MS press looks bad. But to the mainstream? Hell all they know is a new console was announced. By November they won't even know what DRM was.

Yeah, this stuff will have little impact on casual gamers who don't follow the industry closely.

Time will tell how much impact it has among serious gamers posting on forums etc.  That's a smaller chunk of the market, but one that buys many more games a year per person than the casuals.  And is hugely important for smaller, non-blockbuster titles to make a profit since those don't sell much at all to casuals.

Oh hell yes!

Great news for the X1!

Epic confirms unannounced title is a triple-A shooter

http://www.destructoid.com/epic-confirms-unannounced-title-is-a-triple-a-shooter-257939.phtml

Because of an intriguing job listing on its website, everyone knew that Epic Games had an unannounced project in the works. Thanks to the studio's co-founder Tim Sweeney, we now know that this title is a big-budget shooter.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Sweeney simply said "we're building a bigger, triple-A shooter project that hasn't been announced yet." Despite this news, Sweeney emphasized that Epic is broadening its horizons to work on titles of all sizes. From the previously mentioned shooter, to the 35-person Fortnite, and even two or three person teams working for a few months on small games, Epic is trying to "master development at every scale."

While it's nice to see the studio using its resources to expand the scale and scope of its games, it's not really surprising to hear that Epic's creating a big shooter. I mean, it's sort of what they do -- apart from raking in all that sweet Unreal Engine money, that is.

The documents show that:

• Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to address concerns that the agency would be unable to intercept web chats on the new Outlook.com portal;

• The agency already had pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail;

• The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide;

• Microsoft also worked with the FBI's Data Intercept Unit to "understand" potential issues with a feature in Outlook.com that allows users to create email aliases;

• In July last year, nine months after Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA boasted that a new capability had tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism;

• Material collected through Prism is routinely shared with the FBI and CIA, with one NSA document describing the program as a "team sport".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
This thing is all over mainstream media the past few hours. People will still buy Microsoft products but you got to admit this is just bad publicity no company would want.

Updated Terms of Use for Xbox Live. Effective July 2013. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/livetou

We may collect certain information about the Services' performance, your Authorized Device, and your use of the Services and Authorized Device to provide you the Services and improve the Services and Authorized Devices. We may automatically upload this information from your Authorized Device. Such data may include Xbox console hardware and operating performance data, unique identifiers on game discs, network performance data, and Services quality data. If you use the Xbox console with Kinect, we may also collect data about the way in which you interact with the console and the Services to improve Microsoft products and services. Any software or hardware errors that occur while you are connected to the Services or are offline may be uploaded and reported. All such data may be stored with the Xbox console's unique identifier, and may be associated with personally identifiable information.

Oh hell yes!

Great news for the X1!

Epic confirms unannounced title is a triple-A shooter

http://www.destructoid.com/epic-confirms-unannounced-title-is-a-triple-a-shooter-257939.phtml

Because of an intriguing job listing on its website, everyone knew that Epic Games had an unannounced project in the works. Thanks to the studio's co-founder Tim Sweeney, we now know that this title is a big-budget shooter.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Sweeney simply said "we're building a bigger, triple-A shooter project that hasn't been announced yet." Despite this news, Sweeney emphasized that Epic is broadening its horizons to work on titles of all sizes. From the previously mentioned shooter, to the 35-person Fortnite, and even two or three person teams working for a few months on small games, Epic is trying to "master development at every scale."

While it's nice to see the studio using its resources to expand the scale and scope of its games, it's not really surprising to hear that Epic's creating a big shooter. I mean, it's sort of what they do -- apart from raking in all that sweet Unreal Engine money, that is.
yay more shooters. No one saw that coming.

yay more shooters. No one saw that coming.

:lol:

Everyone almost blew a load when they thought Santa Monica may be taking about a new GoW game.

Epic is making a new AAA shooter and you give it shit? Really?

You really need to learn to lighten up and not taking everything so seriously, lol

As far as the GOW thing. I think one person made a god of war in space joke and that was it, lol. Most people were hoping for a Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter cross over.

This thing is all over mainstream media the past few hours. People will still buy Microsoft products but you got to admit this is just bad publicity no company would want.
What option did they have? Honestly?

Yahoo attempted to say no. They got told if they do not, they would be in contempt of court. (/Edit/ What consequences those would have been, we cant know, because again you cant discuss FISA court records)

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/07/11/yahoo-reportedly-wants-its-battle-against-the-nsas-secretive-prism-requests-to-be-made-public/

Plus numerous other articles.

So, I'll ask again... If the NSA tells you to hand over the data or give it access to the data, and you say no... AND the court says you *MUST*, what option do you have? Answer: None.

Furthermore, you cant even legally talk about it since its part of the FISA court.

Or an entirely new ip, I think, is what most were hoping for. And I for one really don't care what epic is working on, the one thing there is an endless supply of its gritty fpses, which is kinda their strong suit. If they show something legitimately original they'll have my interest.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Epic's new game.

Loved Gears 1-3, but that series is stale like most other current gen franchises on both Sony and MS consoles, so I'm glad to see them doing something new.

aptanor...Stop bashing fps shooters they sell and sell very well. The gaming community continues to love them. If you are looking for no new shooting games then I don't know what to tell you... Get a gameboy?

Not even remotely. Only thing I'm actually planning on getting at launch is watch dogs, and of course the freebies from ps+. I want better more creative games and new ideas, I don't care who makes them or what platform they're on.

Not even remotely. Only thing I'm actually planning on getting at launch is watch dogs, and of course the freebies from ps+. I want better more creative games and new ideas, I don't care who makes them or what platform they're on.

Why are you even here?

Enjoy your PS4 and what "freebies" do you think you are even getting at launch from the PS4? They already confirmed a highly watered down version of Drive Club or whatever.

In before the stern talking-to about how they're not really free.

It's behind a PAYWALL!!! Ah we are gamers we should never have to pay for anything!

What option did they have? Honestly?

Yahoo attempted to say no. They got told if they do not, they would be in contempt of court. (/Edit/ What consequences those would have been, we cant know, because again you cant discuss FISA court records)

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/07/11/yahoo-reportedly-wants-its-battle-against-the-nsas-secretive-prism-requests-to-be-made-public/

Plus numerous other articles.

So, I'll ask again... If the NSA tells you to hand over the data or give it access to the data, and you say no... AND the court says you *MUST*, what option do you have? Answer: None.

Furthermore, you cant even legally talk about it since its part of the FISA court.
There are options. Appeal it. Keep in mind that when a warrant like this is issued, it was typically denied by another judge before the NSA got before a friendly judge willing to issue it. Just because a judge issues a warrant doesn't mean its an almighty command that cannot be appealed. There's the US Court of Appeals and Supreme Court you can appeal this to. Honestly, now that all of this out in public and we know what the NSA is doing, I'd like to see someone with some balls say no. I am sure a significant portion of the American public would be behind any company that did this. I at time consider myself right-leaning (but not Republican) and there is no way I support what the NSA is doing. The Constitution (Due prcoess; probable cause) is being thrown out the window, and for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back