Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be hard to get a lot of people (especially the cynical and/or jaded) excited for a shooter, no matter who makes it. Provided it's competantly made, it will still sell well, but it won't be a big franchise without doing something new. I suggest making the ammo out of poultry and have a level where a monkey pilots a giant robot against several giant monsters.

It's similar to Mario platformers. People used to be super excited about each one, but with Nintendo releasing one seemingly every 6 months, the wonder has dulled a bit despite the quality of the games.

It will be interesting to see how new shooter franchises like Destiny, Titanfall and whatever Epic is doing sell.

It's a hugely popular genre, and one I still enjoy despite being a bit burned out on them.

But so many people are just locked into getting the yearly installment of CoD and Battlefield, or Gears/Halo every 2 or 3 years, it's tough for any thing else to break out and become a big hit.  I'm all for it.  I'm much more likely to buy these new franchises than sequels to current blockbuster shooter franchises.  Even if the gameplay is more of the same, at least the settings etc. are different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_lrohZ_1rU
Big Ballmer: Controlling Your Privacy Is Our Priority

quUCgDc.png

:lol:

Everyone almost blew a load when they thought Santa Monica may be taking about a new GoW game.

Epic is making a new AAA shooter and you give it shit? Really?
Jazz Jackrabbit Extreme!!! Seriously though, I have repeatedly said the GOW (both series with that acronym really) series needs either a long break or a drastic change in direction. I don't think many people were all that excited about a new Kratos game especially after the last one was so sub-par (hell 3 wasn't all that hot either).

Also not extremely confident in Epic's ability to make a quality game after Cliffy B has left, that dude was critical to their biggest hits.

Isn't it a bit presumptuous of them to be calling it a AAA shooter?  Isn't AAA status based on the game's quality and reception rather than the studio that makes it and how much money they put into it?  I feel like it's hard to call a game AAA when you don't know anything about it.

That crazy Snowden. Such a Sony fanboy. I'm just glad Microsoft has assured me my privacy is of the utmost importance to them. I know I can trust them and my own government! Anyone who doesn't is probably a traitor like Snowden. They should just get out of the country if they don't like it! Go Xbox!

Last edited by a moderator:
AAA is pretty much reflected by the size of the studio and budget not necessarily quality.
To me an AAA game is a great game with top notch production values (so a big budget) etc.

Plenty of big studio, big budget games that end up far from AAA for me.

But it's one of those terms people use differently. For me it's just the cream of the crop of the major studio games--Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, Last of Us, Gran Turismo etc. etc. And even with those, some games in those series like Mario Sunshine, Metroid: Other M, Halo: ODST, Gears Judgement etc. end up far from AAA quality.

That crazy Snowden. Such a Sony fanboy. I'm just glad Microsoft has assured me my privacy is of the utmost importance to them. I know I can trust them and my own government! Anyone who doesn't is probably a traitor like Snowden. They should just get out of the country if they don't like it! Go Xbox!
The government would have loved you 40 years ago.

Interesting survey info in the back of game informer this month. Out of 9000+ people surveyed, 5381 people buying an x1 vs 4464 buying a ps4, so obviously a slightly more Xbox oriented audience. 58.6% of 360 owners never bought a kinect, and of those who did buy one 31% regretted it. Also, Netflix was the only non gaming app that was even remotely used. People who responded "none" to what apps they use surpassed the number of people who use the ESPN, HBO, Hulu and web browser apps combined. Least used is the facebook app, with only 4 people out of those 9000 saying they use it.

This Snowden/NSA/Microsoft story isn't going away and it isn't just going to impact gamers, this story is as mainstream as it can get.  Hope it was worth that government money to sell out your customers Microsoft.  Here's a story about a company who has refused to give up it's customers privacy, so just goes to show you it is possible to push back against the governments demands.

http://rt.com/usa/utah-isp-surveillance-state-corporations-925/

You really need to learn to lighten up and not taking everything so seriously, lol

As far as the GOW thing. I think one person made a god of war in space joke and that was it, lol. Most people were hoping for a Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter cross over.
attack something get called on it "oh was just joking lol"

Why can't any fan of games discuss their opinions good or bad?
because most people giving bad opinions are obvious Sony boys or trolls not Xbox fans who have real opinions, Xbox One could be $400 with no DRM and optional Kinect and I'm sure the same people would be here nitpicking some small aspect of it

Numbers seem off considering the polls from other places.

He is quoting the TitanFall issue which was published before the E3 reveal.
tumblr_m5l5xsfUNC1rn95k2o1_500.gif

because most people giving bad opinions are obvious Sony boys or trolls not Xbox fans who have real opinions, Xbox One could be $400 with no DRM and optional Kinect and I'm sure the same people would be here nitpicking some small aspect of it
So only Xbox fans can give bad opinions about Xbox One... Otherwise Dark Lord Greg thinks your a Sony fanboy or troll.

If the Xbox One was $400, no drm, optional Kinect, and that person still nitpicks on the console. I agree with you that person is a Sony fanboy or troll.

So only Xbox fans can give bad opinions about Xbox One... Otherwise Dark Lord Greg thinks your a Sony fanboy or troll.

If the Xbox One was $400, no drm, optional Kinect, and that person still nitpicks on the console. I agree with you that person is a Sony fanboy or troll.

Drop the DRM already man. Shouldn't even be mentioned! Plus we all know how hard you are for the PS4...

This Snowden/NSA/Microsoft story isn't going away and it isn't just going to impact gamers, this story is as mainstream as it can get. Hope it was worth that government money to sell out your customers Microsoft. Here's a story about a company who has refused to give up it's customers privacy, so just goes to show you it is possible to push back against the governments demands.

Welcome back!

I'm overall a Sony fangirl but IF the Xbox One was $400, with no drm (which is now gone thank god), and optional Kinect, I would definitely pick one up. Not at launch...but within a year or two. Personally the Kinect is what is really stopping me from getting an Xbox One. I loved a lot of the games shown at E3 (Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive especially) but I will not put up with that camera in my house.

Drop the DRM already man. Shouldn't even be mentioned! Plus we all know how hard you are for the PS4...
Do you even read before you post? Go back and read carefully why I mentioned DRM toward the person I quoted. I prefer Sony's policies currently mean I'm hard for the PS4 lmao, while I never personally attacked you or anyone for liking the Xbox One.

Do you even read before you post? Go back and read carefully why I mentioned DRM toward the person I quoted. I prefer Sony's policies currently mean I'm hard for the PS4 lmao, while I never personally attacked you or anyone for liking the Xbox One.

I only glanced at your post... I don't want to upset the vortex but... I apologize and take it back if you accept. :)

That's what I get for only glancing when I have a chance at work!

Fully expect both Skype through Kinect and Kinect itself when it's on and "off" to have data collected.  I'm not sure why people think it won't happen.  What's even more alarming than the spying is the terrible pun they had in their official documents.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

• In July last year, nine months after Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA boasted that a new capability had tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism;

One document boasts that Prism monitoring of Skype video production has roughly tripled since a new capability was added on 14 July 2012. "The audio portions of these sessions have been processed correctly all along, but without the accompanying video. Now, analysts will have the complete 'picture'," it says.

There are options. Appeal it. Keep in mind that when a warrant like this is issued, it was typically denied by another judge before the NSA got before a friendly judge willing to issue it. Just because a judge issues a warrant doesn't mean its an almighty command that cannot be appealed. There's the US Court of Appeals and Supreme Court you can appeal this to. Honestly, now that all of this out in public and we know what the NSA is doing, I'd like to see someone with some balls say no. I am sure a significant portion of the American public would be behind any company that did this. I at time consider myself right-leaning (but not Republican) and there is no way I support what the NSA is doing. The Constitution (Due prcoess; probable cause) is being thrown out the window, and for what?
You don't know much about the FISA court do you? :)

Your "appeal" process, and "friendly judge" thing is all null and void. Fisa is a panel of 11 judges, that's it. They have a review board, but no real appeal process. You cannot take it to another "judge" or to the supreme court, or anywhere for that matter. What FISA rules.. is it.

Also cannot talk about it obviously, since it is classified information. Thus why Yahoo is trying to push to get it unclassified, so they can show the world they tried to fight. You are not dealing with the constitution here, or due process, or anything of the sort. ;)

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-fisa-court-20130710,0,3419459.story

This Snowden/NSA/Microsoft story isn't going away and it isn't just going to impact gamers, this story is as mainstream as it can get. Hope it was worth that government money to sell out your customers Microsoft. Here's a story about a company who has refused to give up it's customers privacy, so just goes to show you it is possible to push back against the governments demands.

He did not push back against the NSA. He pushed back against requests for information....

The link in question has absolutely *nothing* to do with PRISM, it's just some CEO wanting to get airtime.

For the last time: You could not say no to Prism. Period.

This scandal has nothing to do with Microsoft, Google, or Apple/etc. It has to do with our government, appointed by the people. These companies were forced into revealing our information. Did some go more willingly than others? I'm sure they did. In the end it's a moot point.

The only people you should be upset with are the government, and a government that partly is not even in office anymore. If it bothers you, work to fix it. However, do not expect any tech giant to say "no", not until the powers granted to FISA and the NSA are turned around. They simply cannot.

I'm overall a Sony fangirl but IF the Xbox One was $400, with no drm (which is now gone thank god), and optional Kinect, I would definitely pick one up. Not at launch...but within a year or two. Personally the Kinect is what is really stopping me from getting an Xbox One. I loved a lot of the games shown at E3 (Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive especially) but I will not put up with that camera in my house.
do you allow a pc camera in your house or have a camera on your cell phone (which is always active). Just saying it just puzzles me how much people are freaking out about the kinect 2.0 always hearing for voice command when they have other things like cams and facebook(goverment watches) in this day and age no one has 100 percent privacy.

do you allow a pc camera in your house or have a camera on your cell phone (which is always active). Just saying it just puzzles me how much people are freaking out about the kinect 2.0 always hearing for voice command when they have other things like cams and facebook(goverment watches) in this day and age no one has 100 percent privacy.
I'm really looking forward to letting the Kinect record me masturbating hourly. That is my number one reason for wanting an Xbox One.

But a game console doesn't have to have one. You keep bringing up consumer electronics dedicated to communicate (cell phones, laptops, etc). I don't need a camera/mic on my microwave as it won't help me enjoy my food same as on a console. It will only annoy me.

But a game console doesn't have to have one. You keep bringing up consumer electronics dedicated to communicate (cell phones, laptops, etc). I don't need a camera/mic on my microwave as it won't help me enjoy my food same as on a console. It will only annoy me.
people are not saying thye don't want it on gaming system they are saying they don't want a cam spying on them has nothing to do with video gaming

people are not saying thye don't want it on gaming system they are saying they don't want a cam spying on them has nothing to do with video gaming
Exactly.

However, it's still a bull argument.. since we know the Kinect can be 99% turned off, with only one phrase being recorded.. "Xbox On".

Even if you think they might be lying to you, you have the option of *never* connecting the X1 to the internet after the initial system update. If the device is NEVER connected to the internet, how can it transfer anything?

One would think if your that paranoid, you would not be on the internet in the first place.... but fail arguments are often filled with holes such as that.

Exactly.

However, it's still a bull argument.. since we know the Kinect can be 99% turned off, with only one phrase being recorded.. "Xbox On".

Even if you think they might be lying to you, you have the option of *never* connecting the X1 to the internet after the initial system update. If the device is NEVER connected to the internet, how can it transfer anything?

One would think if your that paranoid, you would not be on the internet in the first place.... but fail arguments are often filled with holes such as that.
lol forgot about that if you don't connect to internet plz explain how ms can spy on you lol can't wait to hear what these trolls say about that.

Of you really want to see some PS4 butt love check out this thread - http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=621281&page=1

I have never seen so many people so in love with a product before they have even touched it yet...

Give me credit even I am not that bad. That guy basically outlined the things that he didn't like and everyone hates him for it.

PS4 can't do wrong apparently. No matter who says so. Even Apple hype isn't that bad!

Of you really want to see some PS4 butt love check out this thread - http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=621281&page=1

I have never seen so many people so in love with a product before they have even touched it yet...

Give me credit even I am not that bad. That guy basically outlined the things that he didn't like and everyone hates him for it.

PS4 can't do wrong apparently. No matter who says so. Even Apple hype isn't that bad!
like i have said before ps4 has tons and tons unanswered questions i give ms credit from the start even when drm stufff was in effect they came out and said mostly everything about the system and still did after things changed. Some reason sony will not say everything till it's like a month until system is out.

people on that forum are saying just duct tape over the light on controller i should not have to do that i should have a option to turn it off. Same thing could be said about kinect 2.0 just put duct tape over the cam and it will not spy on you.

That's what I don't get Timbo...

Why with so many unanswered questions and so much time left can a product do no wrong. I at least have the opportunity to be surprised with my X1. I fell a lot of these people all balls for the PS4 have a good chance at being surprised or highly disappointed as much as they expect and as high of a pedestal they are putting the PS4 on. Never have I send anything like this...

big things i will be looking at once ps4 is out that will tell me if i buy one sooner then next spring will be better servers, psn download speed issues are fixed. psn has a legit party chat. I just hope seeing you have ot pay to play online on ps4 that money will go into great servers like xbox has.

when i have a 30 mbps connection and some reason ps3 only uses 15 mbps and 360 uses it all you got problems in your system and servers

If that is the butt love thread for the PS4 I wonder what the hell this thread is for the three of you guys here.

If that is the butt love thread for the PS4 I wonder what the hell this thread is for the three of you guys here.

To be clear all of Gaf is butt love for PS4

I don't know how that is next gen?
Eh, most consoles are basically souped up versions of previous iterations. Two gens ago introduced DVD playback, motion controls, and wireless/Internet gaming, while last gen perfected all that. Even now Microsoft is just ramping up alternate control methods (Kinect and Smartglass) for its gaming. Everything else truly new has to do with the TV side. As far as gaming goes XBox One is about the same level of next gen as PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back