Xbox One - Sunset Overdrive Out Now!

So I got my copy of the game tonight... and I'm having a blast with it so far. Character customization is fun, controls and movement feel fluid once you get used to it and its just very comical and bouncy, which I find fun. The very first gun you get, will make you laugh out loud (I know I did). Pretty pleased with this so far. Its also very colorful and pretty, though I can't say I'm blown away graphically, but I'm still early in, so there is much more to see.

LOL at Arctic White (vs. Glacier White on a different console).  I'm surprised more of the console isn't white, but it's still purty.

Preordered this at Best Buy a couple of days ago mostly based on the art style.

I still have no damn clue what the game is about.

Preordered this at Best Buy a couple of days ago mostly based on the art style.

I still have no damn clue what the game is about.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/sunset-overdrive

https://insomniacgames.com/games/sunset-overdrive/game/

"Sunset Overdrive is an open-world playground of post-apocalyptic possibilities. Vault, grind & wall-run while using a deadly & unconventional arsenal. With hyper-agility, unique weapons, & customizable abilities, it rewrites the rules of shooters while delivering an irreverent adventure."

"FizzCo has released their new hit energy drink, OverCharge Delirium XT. The only itty bitty problem is that it’s caused everyone who drank it to turn into mutants. You are one of the survivors of Sunset City and now you must now band together with others (at least the ones who aren’t dicks) to try and escape. That’s easier said than done. Are you up for the challenge? Let’s hope so!"

"You’re not the only one embracing the Awesomepocalypse. Throughout Sunset City you’ll run across an eclectic group of factions, each with its own unique style and story. For instance, Troop Bushido, a group of adventurers who now abide by ancient Samurai code. And the Fargarths, live action role-players whose fantasy suddenly becomes their reality. Plus many more memorable characters we don’t want to reveal just yet. Spoilers!"

"You’re only as good as the company you keep, so good thing you keep a fully-stocked arsenal of deadly and unconventional weapons. The apocalypse has inspired you to cook-up new ways to deal with Sunset City’s mutants and other unsavory characters. For instance, there’s “The Dude,” a gun that fires bouncing bowling balls. Or “Turret Copters,” model helicopters strapped with guns for airborne crowd control. And the “TNTeddy,” a weapon that fuses teddy bears and sticks of dynamite. And that’s just a taste."

"Amps are special abilities you can equip to customize your character. Want to ignite a nuclear explosion? Slap on the “Twist of Fate.” Or use “Tornado Spin” to whip-up a twister with your melee attacks. With over fifty Amps and a vast number of possible combinations, Amps are how Sunset Overdrive lets you be you or at least a version of you that flings lightning and can summon the Grim Reaper."

"All the rest of that stuff above is useless if you don’t have something to shoot! Well, never fear. Sunset City is filled with vile mutants, bots, and knaves. Not only will you be taking down various mutants such as Herkers and Blowers, but also FizzCo’s own high-tech army of bots. Oh, and there are going to be other survivors who are going to try and take what’s yours. Your trigger finger isn’t apt to let that happen."

"Join with up to 7 other players (8 total) to take on the challenges of Sunset City. The harder the challenge - the greater the reward. It all caps off with a bang during Night Defense. Join Chaos Squad at any time from the single-player and ALL your sweet rewards can be carried over between modes seamlessly."

Basically Ted Price, CEO of Insomniac Games, envisioned a project influenced off of a combination of Tank Girl and I Am Legend among other influences. Sounds good to me!

This game sort of makes me think of what sort of game we'd see if the Dreamcast had been a bit more successful, like a Dreamcast 3 launch title or something. That said it's probably going to be what tips me to finally get an XB1... I just hope it lives up to the hype.

Does anyone know if the White console is a true limited edition (which will likely sell through relatively quickly) or will it be available a while? I notice it's just called a special edition which could mean anything. I really think I want the white one but it seems like there are a lot of sales that'll start the next week. I guess I can hope Best Buy will lower their own prices since that's likely where I'll get it. Just not sure if I should race out Tuesday morning to pick it up or wait a week and see what happens...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the white console itself will be "limited". I know the Sunset Overdrive Bundle has sold out at a lot of retailers, but I imagine we'll eventually see a white standalone bundle.

Yeah Sunset Overdrive looks like a fun game and I'm glad it's getting good reviews, now to actually buy it. :D

I don't believe they are doing midnight launches for it. That being said it would be a good idea to call your local store to confirm it since I believe stores individually do midnight releases.

Unfortunately I've been dog sitting for family for the last week so despite being preloaded and installed I'll miss playing at midnight. 😥

I'll be picking up my copy at 10am so if anyone wants to add me, my GT is Bezerker285.

I watched the quick look giant bomb put up earlier and i'm pretty hyped.

Some Brazilian tourists won the SSO Xbox bundle raffle...pissed me off lol. I won a MS back though lol. Go back again Sunday to try and win a COD bundle

Bit the bullet and picked it up from the store. Pretty nice preloaded it then just flipped from Netflix to the game and started playing instantly. Its a really well done game and my only gripe currently is the horrible *borderlands esque* texturing popping on your character when you change clothes. Same thing happens on borderlands when you check out your chracter and it takes the system 2-3 seconds to fully realize what said customization item is. Other than that the game looks stunning and the combat is very quick you litterly have to always be moving or you will die. 

I would say 7.5/10 not as bad as GT gave it but nowhere  close to perfect like most of the other sites are giving it. Its a fun game that I can see playing for a few months trying to collect everything. It feels like Ratchet and clank meets Crackdown. 

It sucks that I am first shift this month and I am missing this and the COD and Halo launches at my local Microsoft store/kiosk. For the Destiny launch I won a year of live plus walked away with a huge bag of free swag. The way the employees were talking that night all three of these midnight launches were going to be more of the same.

Bit the bullet and picked it up from the store. Pretty nice preloaded it then just flipped from Netflix to the game and started playing instantly. Its a really well done game and my only gripe currently is the horrible *borderlands esque* texturing popping on your character when you change clothes. Same thing happens on borderlands when you check out your chracter and it takes the system 2-3 seconds to fully realize what said customization item is. Other than that the game looks stunning and the combat is very quick you litterly have to always be moving or you will die.

I would say 7.5/10 not as bad as GT gave it but nowhere close to perfect like most of the other sites are giving it. Its a fun game that I can see playing for a few months trying to collect everything. It feels like Ratchet and clank meets Crackdown.
Kinda how I thought it would be. Something that seems like a lot of fun but no where near GOTY. Can't wait to try it, I think the reason I am so excited is it's so colorful and different in it's world. Kinda getting harder to find these games nowadays.

Kinda how I thought it would be. Something that seems like a lot of fun but no where near GOTY. Can't wait to try it, I think the reason I am so excited is it's so colorful and different in it's world. Kinda getting harder to find these games nowadays.
Same here. I've never thought this would be GOTY, but it looks like it's going to be a blast. And a post-apocalyptic world that isn't all gray and brown? Sign me up.

Going to go pick up my preorder at BB in a couple hours (and add 2 more years to my GCU while I'm at it), but I don't know if I'll get to play it at all today because my daughter is sprawled on the couch, home sick from school. :puke:

Played some last night. Fun game but I still need to get the hang of the movement and flow. The grinding hit zones are pretty forgiving but I'm still learning the map layout, bounce distance etc. I imagine in a couple of weeks I'll be able to grind and bounce my way through the map without ever hitting the ground which is where the game really shines (almost TF like in that respect). 

Have work all day and then class all night and won't be getting home until 11. Wont be able to get my copy from Best Buy until tomorrow night : (

Apparently the 99 cent hat at Best Buy also qualifies for GCU so it was 80 cents.  I picked up the season pass since it was only $15 ($5 off) if you bought it w/ the game.

Any idea how you use dlc can't find where you change outfits
make sure you download it after you download game or it wont show up. Go to outfit then there will be one for Insomniac outfits.

Also wanted to add: For some reason if you get into the MP there is no way to quit out you have to close the game then open it back up. For that matter I think there is no main menu option.

Apparently the 99 cent hat at Best Buy also qualifies for GCU so it was 80 cents. I picked up the season pass since it was only $15 ($5 off) if you bought it w/ the game.
Just picked mine up with season pass from BBY for $18.xx after giftcard and GCU. On my receipt they said they'll email season pass code, have you gotten yours yet?

Did anyone else pick up a copy of the game from the MS store?  If so, did yours come with any pre-order bonuses?  I posted all the retailer-specific bonuses but I didn't get anything extra beyond the Day One Edition.

Did anyone else pick up a copy of the game from the MS store? If so, did yours come with any pre-order bonuses? I posted all the retailer-specific bonuses but I didn't get anything extra beyond the Day One Edition.
My MS store clearly had no idea about any DLC. When they led all 6 of us outside at 9:45pm for the 10pm event the girl comes around with numbered tickets she asked me did I preorder I said no thinking I could preorder well before midnight. But she ends up telling me I cant preorder now so now Ive lost the $10 giftcard deal. So I asked if I buy the game tonight will I get the MS dlc they're like yea. I realized now know they thought I meant that Day One stuff, so I had to pull up Major Nelson's blog to show them about the weapon DLC. The manager took down my email/number said he'll contact me, which he hasn't. So I'll just return the unopened game this weekend. It'll probably come with season pass down the road.

Edit: I dont even see it on ebay, but I do see a bigfoot gun...which retailer had that?

Played some of this. First off it's gorgeous, I like love the style, and the weapons are great. Moving around the city is fine, but I feel like I will get tired of this pretty quickly because they want you to keep grinding, jumping on rooftops, etc to get your combo up.

It's not bad in any sense but I will keep playing it when I get a chance to really get a full idea on what I think.

Man, this game is really amazing. The art-style they've used is gorgeous to look at and I love how all the animations come together. The movement takes some getting used to, but it feels great when you start to get used to it, and the gun play is really great.

I love the Saints Row styled not taking itself serious humor. The characters are instantly likable and the dialog is hilarious in the game.

I was pretty apprehensive given Insomnia's recent flop with Fuse, but this game is a winner in my book.

Just picked mine up with season pass from BBY for $18.xx after giftcard and GCU. On my receipt they said they'll email season pass code, have you gotten yours yet?
My receipt had the season pass & 2 other DLC codes printed on it & it also emailed them to me about 10 minutes after I completed the transaction.

I put about 12 hours into the game today and am enjoying the hell out of it. I ran around and collected every single item on the left side of the map, I just unlocked all the treasure maps for the middle part and am salivating at running around and collecting everything. According to the non-secret achievements, it sounds like there are quite a few mechanics I've yet to come across, so I think I might just push through the story a bit before I go around collecting everything.

This game is really, really good. Not on the level of Forza Horizon 2 for GOTY for me but damn good.

MS has knocked it out of the park this year in terms of quality exclusives.

Damn the movement (And game itself) just gets sooooo much better once you unlock.

Air Rush Ability

Movement is the only gripe.  It's not that it's bad, but it seems hard to master early on.  Somewhere I feel a sprint button would have helped.  Haven't played much yet honestly.

I want to be playing like the videos in the trailers.

Anyone else have a messed up looking disc?

Mine is like wavy and looks like super warped and almost water damaged and my X1 only reads the disc about 1/10 times...

RBk it took me about 3 or so hours to get close to as good as the trailers it's basically practice you will get by the time you finish the oxfords tasks you should see a huge difference

Check for used copies within your zipcode on Gamestop, there's bout 4 different stores with used copies by me, for those of you who are on the fence about buying it.

bread's done
Back