XBOX Originals - Gen Discussion & Info - 11/17 Zapper 1200pts

[quote name='deadite76']It's Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows ;)[/quote]

Bah, I was excited for a moment at the sight of "Gauntlet Legends."

*cries*

[quote name='Halo05']I might wind up getting Stubbs just because it's a pain in the ass to find.[/quote]

Yea, I don't think I have ever seen a copy at a store (I never had an original XBOX, so I was never actively looking for it). I have played the pc demo and thought it was great. First downloadable original that I have given a thought to and probably will break down and buy.

[quote name='kaaspeer']stubbs the zombie was pretty awesome though but not 1200 points awesome..[/QUOTE]

Wrong. Stubbs is most definantly $15 worth of awesome. I bought it for $20 awhile back and still have my copy. It's a great, though very short, game.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Stubbs is awesome but you can't help but wonder why the didn't throw in split-screen co-op...after all its on the freakin' Halo engine.[/QUOTE]

It does have split-screen co-op.

So my girlfriend, being the lovely lady that she is, bought me some MS points, but now I'm stumped as to what to do with them. I was telling myself I would buy Guilty Gear when I got them, but now that I actually have the points, 1200 feels like an awful lot. I haven't been able to really get my fighting fix on 360, and I love Guilty Gear, so that's why I was planning to buy it, but now I'm second guessing it, and wondering if I should just buy some Rock Band songs and save the rest instead.

What do you guys think?

I couldn't get behind the idea of paying $15 for a game that I don't have a physical copy of. Guilty Gear is backwards compatible and $4.99 used at GameCrazy. Use those points and buy some Rock Band songs!

Yeah, I don't like the fact that I don't have a copy of the game, but I thought it would be kinda cool to have it right there on my 360 ready to go. Does buying it on their service include any graphical updates or anything like that?

If not, I probably will just go and pick up some used copy for future play :bouncy:

Only way I can see Original's being worth it is if, they released games like Capcom vs Marvel. Games that have a limited print and still go for a pretty penny.

or they just lowered the price to 400-800

I bought it, played one online game, and feel disappointed. I thought I'd at least have access to the guide button for messaging and crap, but no, it runs 100% like an original disc. :/

And to think, this was one game I wanted to buy on Originals.

Wait a while for Soul Calibur on XBLA. I'm a pure 2D fighting game fan, but that's your ultimate option for the time being. Street Fighter II Turbo HD is probably going to come out soon after Soul Calibur. But you never know with Microsoft's assbackwards certification process.

[quote name='homeland']Only way I can see Original's being worth it is if, they released games like Capcom vs Marvel. Games that have a limited print and still go for a pretty penny.

or they just lowered the price to 400-800[/quote]

Yea I see ps2 copies in being sold for 80 bucks! But to the OP I really wanted to buy GG myself too and had the same problem plus I really didnt like the fact it doesnt have achivements. Even like basic stupid achivements like play for 1000 hours or something. something you could embed into the emulator, meh anywho im still holding on to my 1700 points

Well, I bought my first Originals title on Marketplace. I never got around to playing San Andreas before and this beats finding a used copy. Has the game been optimized at all for HD sets because it appears a lot better than I thought it would.

I've been wondering too how it looks on an HD display. I played the PS2 version up til about halfway through the second city, then stopped. Just too dang big to finish, but wouldn't mind trying again on the big screen.

The games won't be entirely "optimized" since the amount of work it would take in upping all of the textures would be extraordinary. However, from what I read about and then have seen in Fable, there is increased anti-aliasing because of the xbox 360 hardware. So while it won't be as sharp as if it were coded originally for HD, it will look better on an HDTV than if you were playing it on the original xbox.

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']The games won't be entirely "optimized" since the amount of work it would take in upping all of the textures would be extraordinary. However, from what I read about and then have seen in Fable, there is increased anti-aliasing because of the xbox 360 hardware. So while it won't be as sharp as if it were coded originally for HD, it will look better on an HDTV than if you were playing it on the original xbox.[/quote]

Yeah, it looks very good on my HD Plasma TV. I didn't think it would be as sharp as it is. Almost all the PS2 games I have look worse on HD. I figured an Xbox Original might be the same.

I think Originals would get more interest if they added achievements. It's probably harder to do than it sounds though.

Has anyone purchased this via Xbox Originals? I'm tempted but am wondering in there are any issues i should be aware of before dropping the $15. Is it upscaled and will it run in wide screen? When i played Halo and Psychonauts via disc on my HDTV the screen size was the standard square size. This was via my 360 and not the original Xbox. When i played San Adreas via my PS2 on my HDTV the image was very dark at night time. The water was pitch black, and this was with the brightness setting set up to high. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

From what I understand about XBox Originals, you are essentially electing to pay an extra $5 for everything you'd get in the original disc, which can probably be found for under $10 if not lower.

As far as I know, none of these games have any additional features, achievements, or screen upgrades. I could be wrong, but if not then I don't consider any of these games to be worth the money outside of the original disc.

~HotShotX

Yeah, none of the XBox Originals have achievements or upgrades or additional features. It's pretty expensive for something you can probably get cheaper at a used game shop. The only reason I can think of to buy an original would be if it's a game that isn't backwards-compat yet.

^But one of the requirements for being an "Xbox Original" is that the disc version of the game is already BC. Basically, XO is just pointless, unless you want to eliminate clutter or are too lazy to change discs.

Oh, well there ya go haha. I thought I had heard somewhere that they had made some non BC games into XO. That doesn't shock me though.

For the price your better buying the disc. If they were 400pts they might be worth it, and in some cases 800pts. But no more then that.

i bought GTA San andreas for the 1200 pts and have no regrets. The load times are almost non existent and the game scales to my HDTV much better than psychonaughts on disc. The brightness is no issue, as the PS2 version was way too dark. The controls for the xbox version of the game are much more sweet than the PS2 version. San Andreas is my favorite GTA game and this is the best version i have played.

PS I did play the PC version too, but an actual control is just better.

Yeesh, what are they wasting time releasing this crap for? Are you telling me people are buying these when you can get them used for under $5? Then again I'm not sure anyone is looking for these games for $1.

New games:

Sega Soccer Slam and Raze's Hell™ Coming to Xbox Originals

On December 15th, 2008, you will be able to download and play Sega Soccer Slam and Raze's Hell™ on your Xbox 360.
From Xbox.com:
Xbox Originals on Xbox LIVE Marketplace brings you original Xbox games to play on your Xbox 360. Relive your favorites or find games you missed the first time around.

Sega Soccer Slam
SEGA®
ESRB E (Everyone)
1200 Microsoft Points
(NA only)
Have you ever taken on a deranged kilt-wearing Scotsman in a wild, no-holds-barred soccer match? Each character in this anything-but-ordinary soccer game wields special powers and moves that, if executed properly, earn the big score. In Quest Mode, you can unlock secret stadiums and uncover hidden items to improve your already stellar performance.

Raze's Hell ™
Atari®
ESRB M (Mature)
1200 Microsoft Points
(Europe and NA)
The Kewletts’ colonization efforts have taken a turn for the vicious ... until the newly transformed Raze shows up. As Raze, you must vanquish the twisted princess and her invading force of Kewletts by any means necessary.

bread's done
Back