Xbox Series S - $299.99

Amazon

Best Buy

GameStop

Microsoft Store

Target

Walmart

Wario64 wrote on Twitter:

some numbers I heard for GameStop per-store allocations for Xbox Series preorders:
Series X - 6-12 per store
Series S - 2-4 per store— Wario64 (@Wario64) September 21, 2020

Stores may also have a Microsoft financing program available called XBox All Access: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access#findaretailer

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, but I got the sense he was asking if he could stream a game he owned on disc to his Series S, which I don’t believe is possible at this time.
No,I think the only thing you can do is transfer the game from one to the other rather than download it again off the internet.

$220 for another 1TB or $300 for half that plus an entire system and a controller.

No,I think the only thing you can do is transfer the game from one to the other rather than download it again off the internet.

$220 for another 1TB or $300 for half that plus an entire system and a controller.
I had the same thought about the expansion pricing but I think I did it wrong. I bought the Series S and then also picked up a Nintendo Switch to use up the savings over the Series X and then some.

The s model just isn't selling over there. Bodes well for those that don't want consoles to go fully digital.
I doubt Microsoft cares that the S isn't selling out. The general audience they made it for probably aren't big on preordering stuff.

Anyone manage to get a Series X that was sitting in their Microsoft cart to go through after the first day? I have one that has been sitting there since orders opened up.

I doubt Microsoft cares that the S isn't selling out. The general audience they made it for probably aren't big on preordering stuff.
Everyone I’ve seen or known that buys the S is sure to preorder the new fifa, or madden, or COD when it comes out. Other than that, I don’t think they know other games exist.

Do we know anything other than "stock has been available" on the S? As in we don't know quantities on either and what allocation is. We know GameStop in store numbers, which doesn't mean much in the grand scheme. The S is for the casual, that's servicing the market. CODbro can get by.

I'm just saying single car accidents can have silver linings. Only half sarcastic and leaving it there.

I see Doom Eternal has a Halloween event going. Is it anything useful/interesting? Eager to see it on Gamepass Thursday.

Anyone manage to get a Series X that was sitting in their Microsoft cart to go through after the first day? I have one that has been sitting there since orders opened up.
Nope, mine never gets past the final check out. Doesn’t calculate the tax either. I’ve also noticed that, even though I added credit, it still shows the lesser amount I had on the date it was placed in my cart and won’t update. Pretty sure I’ll have to delete it and re-add if they get more in stock before release.

Do we know anything other than "stock has been available" on the S? As in we don't know quantities on either and what allocation is. We know GameStop in store numbers, which doesn't mean much in the grand scheme. The S is for the casual, that's servicing the market. CODbro can get by.

I'm just saying single car accidents can have silver linings. Only half sarcastic and leaving it there.

I see Doom Eternal has a Halloween event going. Is it anything useful/interesting? Eager to see it on Gamepass Thursday.
New DLC i hear, not sure on specifics but excited to get it for free in 4 days then a month after free DLC plus with it becoming permanent due to Bethesda buy who knows what else is to come!!

Nope, mine never gets past the final check out. Doesn’t calculate the tax either. I’ve also noticed that, even though I added credit, it still shows the lesser amount I had on the date it was placed in my cart and won’t update. Pretty sure I’ll have to delete it and re-add if they get more in stock before release.
Well I just tried to delete it from my cart and got errors. Contacted support and they couldn't do it on their end either. Getting escalated up the chain lolol. Watch stock come in while my account with all my store credit is borked.

Everyone I’ve seen or known that buys the S is sure to preorder the new fifa, or madden, or COD when it comes out. Other than that, I don’t think they know other games exist.
I'm a Playstation guy and I have a PS5 pre-ordered. I also pre-ordered an S. I've never owned an Xbox and $299 for a Game Pass machine that I can play Xbox exclusives on isn't a bad deal. I don't care that it's digital only, doesn't have 4K, and has a smaller SSD since it won't be my primary console. Once I'm in the ecosystem, who knows? Maybe I like it enough to get an X down the road, or go with Xbox from the start in the generation after this one. It's a cheap box that gets me in the door.

The S fills the kind of void that Nintendo has targeted for years. The low cost may appeal to casual gamers (Fifa, Madden, COD), but it also fills the void of a complimentary exclusives machine like the Wii to the PS3/360. I think it's going to be more successful than a lot of people think.

I'm a Playstation guy and I have a PS5 pre-ordered. I also pre-ordered an S. I've never owned an Xbox and $299 for a Game Pass machine that I can play Xbox exclusives on isn't a bad deal. I don't care that it's digital only, doesn't have 4K, and has a smaller SSD since it won't be my primary console. Once I'm in the ecosystem, who knows? Maybe I like it enough to get an X down the road, or go with Xbox from the start in the generation after this one. It's a cheap box that gets me in the door.

The S fills the kind of void that Nintendo has targeted for years. The low cost may appeal to casual gamers (Fifa, Madden, COD), but it also fills the void of a complimentary exclusives machine like the Wii to the PS3/360. I think it's going to be more successful than a lot of people think.
I think it will be successful. I'm hoping it won't be. They don't need much of an excuse to fully switch to digital and as soon as that happens I think it'll be the downfall of console gaming. PC is already full digital and I personally hate it. I don't like not actually owning a product. My question is, if that's all you're going to use it for, why not get an xbox one x? Xbox so far has no next gen exclusives, to the point I don't know if I'll upgrade. I'm really on the fence.

I think it will be successful. I'm hoping it won't be. They don't need much of an excuse to fully switch to digital and as soon as that happens I think it'll be the downfall of console gaming. PC is already full digital and I personally hate it. I don't like not actually owning a product. My question is, if that's all you're going to use it for, why not get an xbox one x? Xbox so far has no next gen exclusives, to the point I don't know if I'll upgrade. I'm really on the fence.
Xbox One X had an MSRP of $399, and that was before it was discontinued. It's been sold out at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and Amazon (except for resellers price gauging) for months. If you have a One X, then yeah, sure. No point in upgrading. For someone getting an Xbox for the first time, like myself, the S is a solid option at $299.

I tried deleting mine but I got the error like someone else said. My MS account balance wasn't updating either until a few days ago. I poured $280 in credit from bing into my account but I didnt get a Series X from the MS store so I bought many months of game pass ultimate. My balance dropped to $255 but it wouldn't update on the store until recently. Now when I go to checkout with the Series X that's in my cart, it won't let me add a credit card back up.

Ive seen people on reddit saying they were able to get an order through with an Xbox that's been in the cart after hours of hitting check out

remember to keep in mind that on series s any xbox one titles will run with original xbox one settings, not xbox one x, so thats another reason to wait with your xbox one x before getting the series x

man writing that really made me hate their naming scheme

You currently can stream from your xboxone to a PC with the xbox console companion windows 10 app.  Or to your phone/tablet with the xbox or xbox streaming app on android. 

I fully expect to be able to stream games from xbox to xbox soon.  I also expect them to release a "roku" type device that will stream.  Or maybe just an app for roku...

Time will tell.  I think we will know about this before the end of the year tho. 

I plan on keeping my xbox one X for this exact reason.

Agreed! I use to mainly PC game for years and only played consoles for exclusives. Then Elder Scrolls Oblivion was coming out and i had 3 choices on how to play it;

#1. I could buy a whole new PC because the one i had at the time was pretty old.

#2. I could wait another year for PS3 to finally release which is what i preferred because i thought the Blu-ray drive was ahead of its time.

#3. Or i could buy the Xbox 360 which had released the prior holiday season so it was widely available.

I ended up going with Xbox 360 because i didn't want to wait & it was cheaper than a new PC plus at the time STEAM was just coming out & i was use to for years getting almost all my games for free as WAREZ. The thing that made me fall in love with console gaming was that when i bought a game i knew it would play on my console for sure vs on PC you'd have to mess with the settings to lower resolution or upgrade video cards or RAM.

I too fear the industry trying to force digital on us or trying to kill the used game market (remember when Xbox One was releasing & they said they were gonna lock the Discs to the owner's console so people revolted, Sony made fun of them with a commercial showing how their users share games by handing them to each other). And it keeps getting harder in the used games market with more & more folks buying digital, places to get used games keep going out of business and then lastly (i'm guilty of this) there's GPU which makes you NOT want to buy games at all because they for sure will be on the service like Bethesda or EA titles or they probably will end up there some day even if it's only for a month or 2 like GTA5.

However i still think these digital ONLY consoles are great for giving the consumer a choice and saving them $ but if your prediction is correct & if someday the ONLY choice they offer is digital i'd be the first to leave the console market because i have literally 100s of game discs for the older systems, DVDs & Blurays which is why i'm so stoked for XSX since it plays all 4 generations of Xbox!!

I don't understand the want/need for physical media.  

To play old games off disc,  presumably after they would be "unavailable" digitally,  would be harder then just cracking the game on an emulator at that same time.

Not to mention the game probably wont install at that point because what ever version of the xbox dashboard you have wont match so you would need to "update" the game either way.

Used game sales are just :shrug: for me.  Never participated in that, even in the 90's.

To play old games off disc, presumably after they would be "unavailable" digitally, would be harder then just cracking the game on an emulator at that same time.

Not to mention the game probably wont install at that point because what ever version of the xbox dashboard you have wont match so you would need to "update" the game either way.

Used game sales are just :shrug: for me. Never participated in that, even in the 90's.
I was following you there right up until you said “even in the 90’s.”

Funcoland or GTFO!!! I miss that place and their game price newspapers.

I'm fine with digital on PC, and in general. But not with companies like Nintendo that don't support lifetime accounts and purchases for their customers. Or Sony to a lesser extent with their poor digital ownership + backwards compatibility + support in recent years. Nintendo used to have the Wii Shop, now they have the eShop. The point is they try to sell the same games to people over and over again and change/"upgrade" their shops every time they feel like it. So you don't really own your own stuff. Same with PS until now; you never knew if your game purchases were going to work on any future systems, or how long the online store support was going to continue.

Steam, battle.net, Origin, and Microsoft do a much better job at digital ownership. Every digital storefront is different.

you never own software. Nintendo is the exception here.

Not really tho because good luck playing thoes games after they are no longer supported.

To play old games off disc, presumably after they would be "unavailable" digitally, would be harder then just cracking the game on an emulator at that same time.

Used game sales are just :shrug: for me. Never participated in that, even in the 90's.
I think that is why you dont understand the need for physical games. If you had gotten used to reselling old games and buying used games for much less you would see the appeal. I am mostly digital now and plan to stay that way but for some titles I am not sure if I like I will buy a physical copy just in case I do not like it.

Gods and Monsters was going to be a day one purchase digitally for me when it looked like a Zelda clone. Now that they changed the name and it looks less Zelda-ish I ordered it on disk for $50. This way if I do not like it I just throw it on eBay and get back most of my money. If my only option was digital I wouldnt bother for a few years when it drops in price.

The all digital world needs to have a much better demo option for EVERY game before I would ever be comfortable buying a diskless version of a console. Also the game sales need to be better than they generally tend to be on the digital storefront.

If you could give, trade & sell digital games i might be more open to them but so far i have NEVER PURCHASED A GAME DIGITALLY YET! The games i do "own" digitally are Games with Gold i get free each month or were free codes for older games that came with a new game purchase. I like owning physical versions mainly for resale, trades or for collecting purposes just like i do for owning 4K UHD movies!!

I still discover games for old systems I'd be interested in playing. If you stumble across a PS2 game you want to play now, all you have to do is find a working disc/system. If that system were digital only back when it was current, and the store had shut down, emulation/hacked systems would be your only option. I personally don't like emulation much for 3D systems. Even if it 'mostly' works the few issues mid game or here and there are really distracting.

It's true that you don't 'own' the software even in my hypothetical, but you have enough control over the situation to get a playable version on the target hardware for yourself.

Eventually the discs themselves will rot, too, though. Nothing is forever but some things last longer than others and a lot of times a physical disc will outlive a company's support.

Nothing is forever but some things last longer than others and a lot of times a physical disc will outlive a company's support.
So true! The games that are NOT backwards compatible on XSX are with companies that haven't given M$ permission because some simply don't even exist anymore or the rights are in dispute. Because i own a physical disc version of those games i can still play them on the original console! Those who go 100% digital are SOL on playing any of those games!!

I think the physical media thing is also a generational thing.  All the old farts like myself growing up with cds, dvds, and physical games want it because we want to own our property and be able to play it when we want on our terms.

All the young people who grew up with mp3s, netflix, and digital games don't care about that because they never really knew it and were never tied to it like us old farts.  Some old people have are fine with digital and young people with physical, etc.  But I think as more of a general feeling, that is the vibe I get.

The "you never own software" thing is so silly.

Technically you don't, but what hardware producer in the history of anything has pushed an update to all of their devices that say "nope, no more media, you're done. We're bricking all of our units."

Could they? Sure.

Physical games can be shared with friends. They can easily be brought over to another person's house. Digital games ( non PC ) take forever to go on sale and the discounts are never as steep as physical media. Plus there's the whole, in case we need to rebuild from zombie apocalypse, disk will still work. Some disk games and collector's editions do become valuable  ( Witcher 3 PS4 was 1400$ at one point )

Plus extremely questionable support in backwards compatibility and companies having a track record for just chop-chopping the stores when the console dies, you then have to turn to piracy or pick a god and pray.

The "you never own software" thing is so silly.

Technically you don't, but what hardware producer in the history of anything has pushed an update to all of their devices that say "nope, no more media, you're done. We're bricking all of our units."

Could they? Sure.
Sonos says hello.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/30/21042871/sonos-recycle-mode-trade-up-program-controversy

Samsung remotely nuked thousands of Galaxy Note 7's. Wink bricked all of their Wink Hub devices with two days notice unless purchasers signed up for a $5/mo service.

I consider myself an old fart, and grew up with cartridges, discs, cassettes, etc.  I honestly dont think in 20 years you will be able to play a disc version of an xbox one game.  It just will not work.  Maybe I'm wrong, but i feel like if you cant play the digital version, you wont be able to play the disc version either.

I do enjoy collecting physical things, just not games anymore.  I do buy vinyl, and other collector items. 

I bring my external hard drive with all my games, rather then a stack of dvds.  Digital games are "on sale" less often, but usually hit the same price, you just have to be a little more aware of sales. and with being able to share with a friend with the home xbox.  I consider new games to be half off, because we usually alternate buying them.

To each their own, but I would have got a digital version of the series X if it was offered.

Also remember that all digital content can be removed from your ability to play them... say an account ban for having a general lee paint scheme on a car in your garage like ms threatened with forza..
(Just using that as the most recent example)

People have been banned on steam (claimed anyway) for having software on their pc that had nothing to do with cheating.

And then there is the collectibility of having the physical version.
I’m not against digital, but I do prefer physical myself.

Emulation is a totally different argument.

I could get down with digital (console games) if it was anything but a scheme to retain more profits for the publishers.   We were supposed to get some of the savings from production, distribution, and retail costs passed onto us as customers but that never happened.  So until then I will continue to buy discs because they hold both resale and collector's value. 

Disc games can be installed on subsequent machines and accounts, and there's value in that.  Companies can also go under at any time, or take away access to your digital libraries for any reason they see fit. 

I could get down with digital (console games) if it was anything but a scheme to retain more profits for the publishers. We were supposed to get some of the savings from production, distribution, and retail costs passed onto us as customers but that never happened. So until then I will continue to buy discs because they hold both resale and collector's value.

Disc games can be installed on subsequent machines and accounts, and there's value in that. Companies can also go under at any time, or take away access to your digital libraries for any reason they see fit.
Digital did actually have some real savings this generation for Xbox 1 if you gameshare with someone. But the reason I shall throw myself into the void of pure digital is GamePass. Just like Netflix before it having a nearly unlimited pool of new things to choose from it just isn't that likely that I need to browse my shelf of physical media to find something to play. I've been buying less and less stuff ever since it arrived and when I do buy I wait years and get it really cheap. When I pay $10 for a digital game do I really expect the same value proposition of being able to play it fully and then trade it back in for my money back?

Kinda lame that there wasn't any pre-order exclusivity given to tenured XBL members.
Microsoft’s preorder process for this generation has been exceptionally disappointing. At least Sony seems to be trying, having given people 2 or 3 opportunities to preorder. Microsoft was just like “it goes live on this date” with no opportunity to sign up for a waitlist if it’s sold out.

And then they say there will be more stock on launch day ... which is great, unless you’re trying to buy it directly from MS since that means there might be more consoles for sale online but you definitely aren’t getting one on launch day. Just disappointing ... they can do better.

The Series X only has 802gb of usable space when you turn it on. Doesn't bode well for the Series S unless the OS is somehow smaller on there than the X.

I wonder how much revenue Microsoft lost when they switched from the 360’s proprietary hard drives to allowing any external HD on the Xbox One. You have to think that as slick as the new solid state “memory cards” look, they’re also making a hell of a lot more money by cornering the market.

Digital did actually have some real savings this generation for Xbox 1 if you gameshare with someone. But the reason I shall throw myself into the void of pure digital is GamePass. Just like Netflix before it having a nearly unlimited pool of new things to choose from it just isn't that likely that I need to browse my shelf of physical media to find something to play. I've been buying less and less stuff ever since it arrived and when I do buy I wait years and get it really cheap. When I pay $10 for a digital game do I really expect the same value proposition of being able to play it fully and then trade it back in for my money back?
Gamepass is awesome. I'm a subscriber too. But that's neither here nor there in regards to the discussion we were just having.

I get why people go full digital. But this started from a member that stated he didn't understand the want/need for physical media. The answer comes from philosophical reasons including that we shouldn't be ceding any more additional power to publishers. We can already see where that got us last gen.

Like Tyrok also just mentioned, the console makers also aren't giving us large enough SSDs. Between that, annual online fees, and the cost of additional mandatory accessories like controllers, the true cost and value of console gaming is highly disguised. It costs more than people realize or admit, and the console makers and publishers are experts at obfuscating these additional costs through 'a la carte' pricing.

you never own software. Nintendo is the exception here.
this is funny now, but this is gonna look extra funny in april 2021 when people delete mario all stars from their switch to make room for another game, then i bet they find out "oh you were supposed to ARCHIVE it, not delete all of the data. youre such a silly consumer, you cant redownload something off a page we delisted. oh well, bye bye game"

this is funny now, but this is gonna look extra funny in april 2021 when people delete mario all stars from their switch to make room for another game, then i bet they find out "oh you were supposed to ARCHIVE it, not delete all of the data. youre such a silly consumer, you cant redownload something off a page we delisted. oh well, bye bye game"
That's quite the horrific reality.

I wonder how much revenue Microsoft lost when they switched from the 360’s proprietary hard drives to allowing any external HD on the Xbox One. You have to think that as slick as the new solid state “memory cards” look, they’re also making a hell of a lot more money by cornering the market.
Technically you can replace those 360 drive with bigger sata drive if you know what you are doing

Kinda lame that there wasn't any pre-order exclusivity given to tenured XBL members.
I said it before, but I think people who wasted their money getting the Day One Xbox One should have gotten to pre-order early. Easy enough to see because they had that achievement for it. Oh well.

That's quite the horrific reality.
Everytime I think of going all digital I recall all the 'games I've lost' on IOS because the publisher wouldn't update the game once more to be compatible with yet another update. While it's not the same, the business of 'delisting' a game makes me cringe. If it's delisted, and my harddrive takes a dump, then it's gone forever. For items I really like, I still prefer owning that disk if it's available.

Technically you can replace those 360 drive with bigger sata drive if you know what you are doing
True but the folks who were upgrading hard drives were also probably technologically savvy enough to mod their 360s by that point. The average consumer was still stuck paying a premium for modified tech ... which looks like will happen again with Series X.

Is there any truth to this or is it just worst-case speculation? I've got it physical so it isn't a problem, but I'm curious.

Is there any truth to this or is it just worst-case speculation? I've got it physical so it isn't a problem, but I'm curious.
i said it was a bet, based off the fact that they specified archived (a specific nintendo switch term, a way to delete most of the app data, while still keeping the launcher on the home screen, which redownloads) copies could be downloaded. they could leave the eshop page up for people to redownload in the future, but thats not what theyve said. if im being honest i expect them to relist the game entirely after LISTENING TO THE FANS, but if they stay true to their word, make sure to never delete it and remember to do data transfers for new systems or else it could be lost.

tenor.gif

Worst case.

I believe MS keeps any owned deleted game in your library for re-downloading later, it just doesn't keep them on the storefront for others to download. Or at least it did for the 360 (download history)

but if they stay true to their word, make sure to never delete it and remember to do data transfers for new systems or else it could be lost.
lol reminds me of the PS4 P.T. bundles they had on ebay
pls keep Super Mario 3D All Stars installed on your Animal Crossing edition Switch for big bucks in the future.

lol reminds me of the PS4 P.T. bundles they had on ebay
pls keep Super Mario 3D All Stars installed on your Animal Crossing edition Switch for big bucks in the future.
nah, therell be too many carts out in the wild to justify consoles being sold.

All these talks about gamepass reminded me about Sega and their Sega Channel. Sega was just way ahead of its time with the Sega Channel and Dreamcast.

bread's done
Back