Xbox Series S - $299.99

Amazon

Best Buy

GameStop

Microsoft Store

Target

Walmart

Wario64 wrote on Twitter:

some numbers I heard for GameStop per-store allocations for Xbox Series preorders:
Series X - 6-12 per store
Series S - 2-4 per store— Wario64 (@Wario64) September 21, 2020

Stores may also have a Microsoft financing program available called XBox All Access: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access#findaretailer

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally broke down and bought the Series S bundle from Gamestop today. I was waiting for a Series X, but figured this would be a better as a Gamepass machine paired with my PS5.

Series S in stock at Microsoft.

Just bought one with some expiring credit. Not what I wanted, but it was significantly better than most of my purchase options. Not sure if it’s better to put it in the bedroom to replace my 360 or to sell locally to recoup my money and put that towards the X when it’s easily obtainable

All depends if you have at least an XboxOneX and a 4K TV...if you do then sell the Series S and put that money towards the SERIES X.

If you don't have an Xbox One X then you should certainly keep the S.S.

Just ordered a Xbox series X from Walmart last week but the warehouse messed up and they sent me a Xbox series S...but I paid $500 for Xbox series X.. I just chat with Walmart CSR and they said they can give me 10% of refund which is $50 and want me to keep it since they don’t have replacement for Series X...I decide to return it then ..

Just ordered a Xbox series X from Walmart last week but the warehouse messed up and they sent me a Xbox series S...but I paid for Xbox series X.. I just chat with Walmart CSR and they said they can give me 10% of refund which is $50 and want me to keep it since they don’t have replacement for Series X...I decide to return it then ..
What?

Just ordered a Xbox series X from Walmart last week but the warehouse messed up and they sent me a Xbox series S...but I paid $500 for Xbox series X.. I just chat with Walmart CSR and they said they can give me 10% of refund which is $50 and want me to keep it since they don’t have replacement for Series X...I decide to return it then ..
that's crazy...

All depends if you have at least an XboxOneX and a 4K TV...if you do then sell the Series S and put that money towards the SERIES X.

Ultimately I’ll get a Series X at some point. I’ve got a 1X hooked up to a 65” OLED downstairs. I’ve currently got a 360 hooked up to my bedroom 4K tv. So if I keep the SS, it would be to replace the 360

Series S in stock at Microsoft.

Just bought one with some expiring credit. Not what I wanted, but it was significantly better than most of my purchase options. Not sure if it’s better to put it in the bedroom to replace my 360 or to sell locally to recoup my money and put that towards the X when it’s easily obtainable

When buying a Series at the Microsoft store, it looks like you get an offer for $10 off a controller during your purchase.  Just an alert for anyone who might want to get a second controller for the system and might have the credit for it (or want to know to save for it).

I would have got an extra controller when I bought my SS, but with only $10 off they were not as cheap as on Black Friday and I just couldn’t do it

I don’t know if it was a glitch or if I just randomly checked the site during the one second that the Xbox wireless headset was in stock. I managed to get it in my cart, but said sold out during checkout

Sold my SS that I bought with expiring credit to a coworker today for what I paid for it. Now that I have $300 in cash instead of MS credit, I already am having a hard time justifying spending it on the X, which is what I was trying to get this whole time. Am I being weird/crazy, or would you guys feel the same?

Sold my SS that I bought with expiring credit to a coworker today for what I paid for it. Now that I have $300 in cash instead of MS credit, I already am having a hard time justifying spending it on the X, which is what I was trying to get this whole time. Am I being weird/crazy, or would you guys feel the same?
Probably the same. I mean, it's kind of discouraging to see a console neck and neck with PS5 in terms of power when it was hyped up as the most powerful console. That being said, if you're into Game Pass, there is some value to be had. And I kind of like the aesthetics of the system.

I thought I finally was able to get a Series X from the microsoft store. At first it declined my debit card. I then used paypal which uses the same card since that is what I had on there. My order actually went through and says pending, but later my bank told me it declined the charge and wanted me to verify it was me to allow me to use my card again. Order says pending right now but it should cancel soon.

I may just give up trying. So annoying.

4th time trying to get a Series X for a friend. 4th time I get denied because I am trying to use Microsoft credit. If I just try with my paypal, the tax pops up with the place order button but if I use my credit and then the remaining balance with paypal, the yellow message states there is a problem with my payment method. I guess MS doesn't want people using their credit or just me using mine. Oh well.

*edit* after 20 min in chat, this is what they typed:

"thank you for waiting, for the Xbox Series X, it looks like its not avialable for Split payment since it does have pre authorization charge, you will need to use a only one card or Paypal in order to be able to place the order."

I typed back that it should tell you that on the website so people don't waste their time. Maybe people here have been able to use their credit but I am not able to and am done trying.

I think I’d prefer a 1 TB Series S for $399 over the existing Series S. I just can’t get over the tiny internal drive.
Like...I feel you, but at the same time, I think that kind of misses the point on what the Series S is supposed to be?

Unlike the PS5, where the SKUs are functionally identical save for the disc drive, the Series S seems positioned to be a Game Pass box (which is what I'm getting mine for). Game Pass likely isn't the sort of service where you're trying to juggle 20 games at once, yeah?

And the fact that the Series S caps out at 1440p means that download sizes should generally be somewhat smaller than on Series X - not you, Call of Duty - so the smaller internal drive matters less.

The Series X is the MOAR POWER ARR ARR ARR (hello, 90s reference!) console for people who are more likely to own multiple physical games, and who might ALSO be using GamePass. The Series S is a trojan horse to get the console into living rooms so people who aren't necessarily on the bleeding edge will try GamePass and thus contribute recurring revenue.

If the internal drive size on the Series S is an issue, hold out for an eventual price drop (or size increase) on the Series X, because that's probably more your speed to begin with. You probably aren't the demographic Microsoft is targeting with that $299 box.

"thank you for waiting, for the Xbox Series X, it looks like its not avialable for Split payment since it does have pre authorization charge, you will need to use a only one card or Paypal in order to be able to place the order."

I typed back that it should tell you that on the website so people don't waste their time. Maybe people here have been able to use their credit but I am not able to and am done trying.
This past Thursday I was able to successfully place an order for SX + Warranty that used mostly credit (I don't think any of it was promotional/had an expiration date), and the last (some amount less than $30) was paid by credit card.

Like...I feel you, but at the same time, I think that kind of misses the point on what the Series S is supposed to be?

Unlike the PS5, where the SKUs are functionally identical save for the disc drive, the Series S seems positioned to be a Game Pass box (which is what I'm getting mine for). Game Pass likely isn't the sort of service where you're trying to juggle 20 games at once, yeah?
I kinda think game pass is meant for you to try many different games. The game pass quests have you playing new games every week. Seems only Microsoft bothers to make games significantly smaller for the S. I’m glad it’s affordable at $299 but with a little over 350 GB of usable space...

I kinda think game pass is meant for you to try many different games. The game pass quests have you playing new games every week. Seems only Microsoft bothers to make games significantly smaller for the S. I’m glad it’s affordable at $299 but with a little over 350 GB of usable space...
I mean, end of the day, what Microsoft wants from you out of Game Pass is that you remain subscribed. How you use the service in a way that furthers that goal, I think they're less concerned about. Yeah, encouraging you to Play A Bunch increases the chances of knock-on revenue from buying Game Pass titles. That ain't nothing. But someone who pays $15/month to play Football Manager, Crusader Kings III (on PC), and, fuck, I dunno. Tetris Effect? They're paying the same $15 month as the butterfly who plays 20 different games.

But, again, I think it's important to keep in mind the difference between the PS5 disc and digital editions, and the Series X and Series S.

Sony made the decision to offer functionally the same hardware to two different market segments and trade the folks willing to lock into the digital ecosystem an optical drive for a Benjamin. So you've got the same internal SSD, everything else, it's just a question of whether you're poly-gamer-ous, or locked into digital.

Microsoft cut a few corners with Series S. The CPU and GPU hit lower benchmarks. The SSD is smaller. There's no disc drive. Etc. It's not really designed to be anybody's "primary" console, except maybe the "I don't have more than $300 to spend on a console" demographic. It's aimed at an introductory or possibly a complementary audience. People for whom the newest generation of Xbox is gonna be their main machine are almost certainly looking at a Series X, and if they buy an S, it's as a stopgap until they can FIND an X.

IMO.

This past Thursday I was able to successfully place an order for SX + Warranty that used mostly credit (I don't think any of it was promotional/had an expiration date), and the last (some amount less than $30) was paid by credit card.
I have $124 expiring on Tuesday. I also did not add a warranty. Maybe they don't take expiring credit or maybe if you add a warranty it goes through.

Generally speaking, using PayPal at checkout for most places is a different experience than a normal checkout process. This isn't unique to Microsoft.

Generally speaking, using PayPal at checkout for most places is a different experience than a normal checkout process. This isn't unique to Microsoft.
Yeah, given the variables (I added a warranty, none of my credit was promotional, I used a credit card for the balance instead of paypal) I think the Paypal one would be the hangup.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I had been sitting out the next gen race but suddenly grew interested with the current Costco $100 off $500 coupon, which is only good through May 7.  Is there any predictability to when new Series X shipments drop at Costco?  Looks like there were some March 30 and then maybe on May 3 (sold out in a minute)?  Trying to figure out if there's even hope of scoring one before my coupon expires. 

Is the coupon even usable on gaming hardware?
I don't think there are any exclusions other than Costco giftcards. Probably been hard to test given the lack of PS5 and Series X availability at Costco the past month though.

I mean, coupons like that most places have a long list of exclusions and almost always block gaming hardware.
Here's the fine print someone reported getting from Customer Service - nothing about gaming systems in there:

Only valid on Costco.com. Not valid in warehouse. One coupon code per Costco member. Ineligible purchases include: new Costco memberships, Costco membership renewals, gift of membership, Costco Shop cards, custom installation services, Same-day grocery delivery, and online-digital print orders. Not valid for orders at the online Pharmacy, Costco Travel or Costco Business Delivery. The merchandise total in your cart must equal $500 or more before tax and shipping to receive the $100 off. The coupon code must be entered in the promo code box at checkout to be valid. This offer may not be combined with any other offer or promotion.

But I figured odds of catching a restock before May 7 were low, so I just used the coupon to buy three discounted $100 Xbox Giftcards (max Costco allows per customer) and some other stuff. Now I just have to watch for restock at the Microsoft store.

MS has been impressive with the game titles supporting FPS boost.    Not bad.     Now what we really need is the heutchy method system automatic resolution scaling 2x,4x,8x for every game that runs on Series S|X

GameStop’s website seems to have some series s bundles and all access available

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/xbox-series-x?q=gen5521
That's cool. I had a Series S for awhile, but sold it because I was bummed out about the amount of hard drive space, and I also naively thought I could easily get a Series X or PS5 later. But anyway, the bundles there seem to have mostly items a person could use, useful if you just have Gamestop credit to burn. One thing I do like about the Series S vs. The XBox One X, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, etc... is games just seem to play more "fluid", and Microsoft does have a great library if you're into playing older games with new life breathed in via higher graphics quality settings.

What's weird to me is my Series S is saying it's outputting at 4k, which I know it isn't, but my TV only does 1080p and 4k for HD, so I dunno why it isn't forcing 1080 as the resolution.

bread's done
Back