XBOX SmartGlass app now available on Android 4.0+ phones

nypickle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Use Xbox SmartGlass to enhance your entertainment on Xbox 360.Xbox SmartGlass lets your phone work with your Xbox 360 console to bring rich, interactive experiences and unique content about what you’re watching or playing, right to the device that’s already in your hand. Interact with your favorite TV shows, movies, music, sports, and games, and bring remote control to a whole new level.

You can also connect with your Xbox friends, track and compare your achievements, and change up your 3D avatar.

Xbox SmartGlass lets you:
• Navigate your Xbox 360 with swipe and tap
• Use your phone’s keyboard to type to your Xbox 360
• Browse the Internet on your Xbox 360 with full keyboard and zooming
• Play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and stop videos and music on your Xbox 360
• Search the full Xbox catalog of music, video, and games
• Enjoy rich, interactive experiences from select game and entertainment content creators
• Track and compare your achievements with your Xbox friends
• Change up your 3D avatar
• Message your Xbox friends
• Edit your Xbox profile

Note:
This app requires an Xbox membership to sign in. Available for most Android 4.0+ smartphones, with WVGA screen resolution or higher.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.smartglass

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed it, but really trying to figure out the point of it. Controller simply works better in all aspects.

fucking annoying it isn't compatible (yet) with the Nexus 7, even though that device is already up to 4.1.2.

I'm sure it'll be remedied shortly, but there's really no reason it shouldn't be out now.

Installed. Pretty interesting, but it really is just a gimmick. Not really necessary (yet). This app could become useful depending on what Microsoft does with it in the future. Right now it is just a toy to show to your friends.

Edit: Works on Galaxy S III in case anyone was wondering

[quote name='Nogib']Installed it, but really trying to figure out the point of it. Controller simply works better in all aspects.[/QUOTE]

If you're just navigating the dashboard then, yes, the SmartGlass app isn't all that it's cracked up to be. However, for the games that support it, it'll act as a second screen of information without having to go though the main screen to do so. Dance Central 3, for example, makes it a DJ for upcoming songs when played in Party mode and it acts as the always-on map & GPS for Forza Horizon.

Got the app on my phone but since it isn't officially available for my Transformer Infinity, I'm trying to sideload it first before I give Forza a shot with it. Rather be using a tablet than a phone for that type of functionality.

[quote name='KaneRobot']fucking annoying it isn't compatible (yet) with the Nexus 7, even though that device is already up to 4.1.2.

I'm sure it'll be remedied shortly, but there's really no reason it shouldn't be out now.[/QUOTE]

Should be compatible. See this review:

"Jonah Spade - October 26, 2012 - Asus Nexus 7 with version 1.0
Best remote for your Xbox
Wow, really impressed by this app. It has a lot more functionality than I thought. Any Xbox owner would be remiss without this app!"

^^^^ Weird. Just tried to download it via my PC and it says incompatible with my devices, and it doesn't show up in the Play store when I go there on my tablet. I'll try going to the link my PC hits through my tablet.

Edit - Nope, still nothing. No big deal, I can wait. If I get antsy I'm sure the APK is out there somewhere.

[quote name='Nogib']Installed it, but really trying to figure out the point of it. Controller simply works better in all aspects.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing be a little more useful once some games start using it and apps are developed with it in mind. The best stuff for it won't look to "replace" anything, it'll suppliment stuff.

This app is actually very useful, especially when using the web browser. I'm actually using my Kindle Fire with Smart Glass right now. Being able to use my tablet as a mouse and keyboard is extremely useful. Can't complain at all. About to check out Forza Horizon with it now :)

Glad I got my 4.0 update for my Bionic yesterday even more so now. Really impressed with this so far. Just wish I had a tablet to get even better use out of it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']fucking annoying it isn't compatible (yet) with the Nexus 7, even though that device is already up to 4.1.2.

I'm sure it'll be remedied shortly, but there's really no reason it shouldn't be out now.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same issue.. says it's an incompatible device. =\

The apk is out for those of you with a Nexus 7, not sure if it's against the rules to link apks of free apps, but it should be easy enough to find.

Cool but too bad about the OS requirement - Samsung stopped supporting my phone right after i bought it so I'll never get ICS or higher.

Now I need to wait for MS to get their iPad app out so I can use that.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']doesnt work on my tablet...[/QUOTE]

Do you have a custom ROM or tried side-loading it? The app works fine on my Kindle Fire with Jelly Bean installed but for some reason the My Xbox Live app doesn't.

[quote name='overlordmike']is this going to come out for ipod touch or ipad at all. or is apple gunna be a --- due to them being a rival company of ms[/QUOTE]

Yeah its coming out for iOS after. I'm surprised it didn't come out for that first since the my xbox live app did but I'm glad I have smartglass on my android phone

Good move on Microsoft's part. Not enough people could take advantage of this cool feature because Windows Phones have such a small part of the market share.

[quote name='T9X69']Do you have a custom ROM or tried side-loading it? The app works fine on my Kindle Fire with Jelly Bean installed but for some reason the My Xbox Live app doesn't.[/QUOTE]

asus transformer. standard rom. side-loading?

[quote name='matsam']Good move on Microsoft's part. Not enough people could take advantage of this cool feature because Windows Phones have such a small part of the market share.[/QUOTE]

This is good for everyone overall but pretty irksome for me since I got WP7 for all of the "exclusive Microsoft apps!!1!" that went to Android/iOs within the year. Oh well, at least I get Achievements for my phone games I guess.

bread's done
Back