Xbox will "own" GTA IV launch, says MS

CAG 79

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181843

We already own it, I believe, from a content standpoint, because we have the exclusive episodes ... but we have to make sure the customers know that ... if you look back, again, to the role of GTA III and what that played in terms of PS2's development - in Europe as well, because it was huge in Europe. That's a great opportunity for us. We need to take advantage of it."

Thoughts?

In my opinion people aren't going to buy the game just because of the DLC. I'll be getting this for the PS3 because I would hate for the 360 to RROD on me while playing this game.

People will buy it for the 360 because more people have 360s than PS3s. Look at the Rock Band numbers.

It's not like people are getting less with the 360 version than in the PS3 version though... they just have the option of buying additional content, so I don't see how that's a problem.

Anyway, I think the 360 version will do better, though not by a huge margin or anything... pretty much will just come down to people buying the game for which system they own, which is more likely the 360 at this point.

Anyway, not buying the game myself unless they actually have a polished game this time where the combat is acceptably fun.

We already knew this. There's way more 360s than PS3s out there.

Personally I'll be grabbing it on 360 because I like the controller better (for the driving aspects), and because DLC might play a big part for me (as long as they don't go batshit crazy with the pricing).

going to get the 360 version...achievement, and the opportunity for DLC is the main reasons for me....If msft has a decent price drop, with a heavy ad campaign about it being available on the 360 with exclusive DLC, they could kick sonys ass. They have an opportunity to put some more space between them and sony, if they do that or not is another question.

GTA games take so much time to finish....I'm in no rush to pick this up. I like to have time to finish up my other games.

Personally, I have no interest in the game at all, but assuming you have both platforms, why wouldn't you pick this up for the 360? MS dropped a lot of cash to make sure there's a lot of DLC, and that it's not coming to the PS3. Maybe it won't be worth it, ultimately ... but why not give yourself the option? And that's not even talking achievements or custom soundtracks.

PS3. Hot Shots Golf is the last game I pick up before this so I can clear out my backlog and dive right the fuck into this. I hope this supports HOME but I doubt it will happen.

[quote name='trq']Personally, I have no interest in the game at all, but assuming you have both platforms, why wouldn't you pick this up for the 360? MS dropped a lot of cash to make sure there's a lot of DLC, and that it's not coming to the PS3. Maybe it won't be worth it, ultimately ... but why not give yourself the option? And that's not even talking achievements or custom soundtracks.[/quote]

Cause the pc version will come out 9 months later be cheaper and have all the dlc.

Considering probably only half of 360 owners are connected to the internet AND have a hard drive, I'm thinking DLC will have less of an impact than everyone would like to believe.

[quote name='InuFaye']Cause the pc version will come out 9 months later be cheaper and have all the dlc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, although we don't know the time-frame for the DLC, so "it will have all the dlc" is kind of a guess, the PC version makes sense as an option. So ... why would you be buying it for the PS3?

[quote name='trq']Yeah, although we don't know the time-frame for the DLC, so "it will have all the dlc" is kind of a guess, the PC version makes sense as an option. So ... why would you be buying it for the PS3?[/quote]

Liongames for 45 dollars.

I can't believe someone would use the RROD as an excuse not to buy a game. Why buy any game for the 360? Why even have a 360?

I would hope that the game, whether it is on 360 or ps3, will be enough for people to satisfy their GTA fix for a while. I imagine down the road some deal will be struck where PSN has some form of DLC.

[quote name='munch']I can't believe someone would use the RROD as an excuse not to buy a game. Why buy any game for the 360? Why even have a 360?[/quote]

I'm waiting another 9 months for the PC version, mang! fuck that RROD shit.

I expect the 360 version of the game to outsell the PS3 version close to 2 to 1. We'll see, though.

[quote name='munch']I can't believe someone would use the RROD as an excuse not to buy a game. Why buy any game for the 360? Why even have a 360?[/QUOTE]

Talk to me when your 360 craps out. It's not my fault that MS makes a shitty console. I've been waiting to get another 360 but even though time has passed nothing has improved. My buddy got the RROD on his Elite after only having it for three weeks. That shouldn't be happening. Anyways, I'm already going off topic with this so I'll just stop my rant.

[quote name='munch']I can't believe someone would use the RROD as an excuse not to buy a game. Why buy any game for the 360? Why even have a 360?[/QUOTE]

DRE's didn't stop GTA from selling well on the PS2 so I don't think the RROD is really going to stop anyone from guying it on the 360.

I'll get whichever version is better tech wise. If they both look, run and load just as good, then probably the PS3 version, simply because I like the PS3 controller better.

[quote name='Strell']Yeah, but is MS going to own the MGS4 launch?

All signs point to yes.[/quote]

What exactly does this mean?

If you are implying mgs4 on 360 then no dont start that its annoying and played to death.

Didn't you hear? It's exclusive to the 360 now. And is an XBLA title.

It's a love simulator starring Otacon.

You people actually think it's going to be some kind of badass action game, and you are all wrong.

[quote name='Strell']Didn't you hear? It's exclusive to the 360 now. And is an XBLA title.

It's a love simulator starring Otacon.

You people actually think it's going to be some kind of badass action game, and you are all wrong.[/quote]

Genius.

I also heard it was gonna have cross platform play with cellphones.

There are some rumblings of it being a mash up with Idolmaster characters.

I hurd PsycoMantis is in these one, and instaed of messing with yuor comptroller ports, he RROD's your 360, and the only weigh off beating him is bye getting a replacment ROFL

Not buying it. Well, I'm buying it for someone else, but I have no interest in this game, and I never will.

Paying more for a game as a selling point? Seriously, worst idea ever.

I just never got the appeal of the GTA games, I played 3 with a fried a bit and it was entertaining for 15 mins or so. I bought San Andreas and played for about two hours and just had no interest anymore.

There's a rumor floating 'round that the 360 will have DLC on day one, and it's free for those who preorder.

Hmm. Better be something better than "horse armor," for sure.

360 titles typically sell 2.5:1 or 3:1 over the PS3, so MS is surely hoping for a far larger ratio this time around. I think they'll hit around 3:1, but not much more than that.

[quote name='mykevermin']There's a rumor floating 'round that the 360 will have DLC on day one, and it's free for those who preorder.

Hmm. Better be something better than "horse armor," for sure.

360 titles typically sell 2.5:1 or 3:1 over the PS3, so MS is surely hoping for a far larger ratio this time around. I think they'll hit around 3:1, but not much more than that.[/QUOTE]
Nah, it'll probably be Whores Armor. *Ba-dun-dun*

Realized today 360 might have the edge due to multiplayer. I would think more people would be playing for longer on Live.

If I get it it'll be the PS3 version.

I'm far from sold on it at the moment, if they don't fix and improve many of the gameplay elements that need it I'm not touching this game.

I don't know if I am going to get it. I like DLC, but I don't like spending more money. I might wait for a "gold" edition with DLC on it later on. Not that there is a version confirmed, it just seems likely.

[quote name='heavyd853']GTAIV is multiplayer? whaaaa!?[/quote]The first couple were. My ex and my bros and I had lots of fun playing over the network.

[quote name='TFN']I'm waiting another 9 months for the PC version, mang! fuck that RROD shit.[/quote]
Yea.
I also think that the PC version will nullify any exclusivity of DLC. Any DLC for 360 or ps3 will probably end up as mods on the pc.

All that aside. After checking out the web site, I think I'm going to be buying a new console come May. San Andreas is one of my all time favorite games and this looks like it has even more of the immersion, humor, and randomness that I loved from the last gen.

So DLC aside; what console would you guys recommend for someone who really wants GTA4 and Burnout P.?

Honestly I'm leaning towards ps3, hoping that they will continue their tradition of trippy games that made me seek a ps2. Free online and a blue ray player is inviting too now that I got an hdtv (closeout sale at Sears Flushing NY; there's still some left). The 360 looks like it has some cool **** too but what is the cheapest one I can get away with? I hear the cheapest one doesn't support online for Burnout P.

I'm saving my money but don't know which way to go.

I don't know which one I'll buy it on, but I know that the opportunity to pay even more for the game at the end of the year or in 2009 isn't a factor for me.

I'd wait for a demo to make the final decision, but I'm betting there won't be one since the game doesn't need it to sell well. I'd probably give the PS3 version the edge based on the controller.

GTA IV is definitely going to do well on the 360. Basically Rockstar pretty much made this game for the 360. The game is using the RAGE engine which was used in Table Tennis built originally for the 360 only. I dont' believe looking at the game's origins, (plus knowing GTA IV is the hugest port from 360 to PS3 ever created) that this game is going to run well on the PS3. Seems like overkill to me, that MS decided to pay extra for the DLC knowing this game was basically born and breed to be on the 360.

Knowing me I'm in the PS3 version, but only if its a good port. Hopefully it has something, other than the basic GTA 4 game to make it worth buying. (i.e. Home intergration, accomplisments, blu ray extras, etc...)

I just feel like we're all missing out overall because I think we'd all be getting a better game if production started on PS3, and we'd probably be getting more game if MS wasn't paying to "section off" some missions from the retail version of the game to be held as DLC.

I don't see how 360 owners don't see how they're gettin shafted the most, because, to fully enjoy the game look how much more you have to spend... to access the full features of the retail game - online components, you have to pay for live. Plus to get the rest of the game you have to pay for the DLC. That's why I'm not getting this game on the 360, because to fully enjoy the retail package you MUST pay for XBL service. I feel that when I buy the game at 59.99 that automatically gives me the right to play on that game's particular servers! At least when I pay for the PS3 version, after I pay 59.99 plus tax, I can enjoy the game freely online. I guess I'm old school.

bread's done
Back