Xbox XBLA Summer of Arcade 2012 games and promotion

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!
Alright, I went back a few pages in the XBLA thread and that thread is a monster to find things. I think there's enough to the Summer of Arcade to warrant a separate thread.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/promotions/summer-of-arcade

5f3e5036-5e70-42b7-9df6-7e457a468245.JPG

Buy Three and Get a Bonus

Purchase any three of the five Summer of Arcade hits and you'll get 400 Microsoft Points as our way of saying thank you. The points will be automatically added to your account at the conclusion of the promotion.

* Purchase any 3 Summer of Arcade games: Tony Hawks’ Pro Skater HD, Deadlight, Wreckateer, Hybrid, and Dust: An Elysian Tale before August 21, 2012, 11:59pm EST, and 400 promotional Microsoft Point! Limit one (1) gift per person. To qualify for your gift, you must purchase any three of the five featured games from Xbox LIVE Arcade using your Xbox LIVE account, by August 21, 2012 11:59 EST.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD
Available July 18
1200 MS Points

Wreckateer
Available July 25th
800 MS Points

Deadlight
Available August 1st
1200 MS Points

Hybrid
Available August 8
1200 MS Points

Dust: An Elysian Tail
Available August 15
1200 MS Points

Same. Seems pointless but ok.

Another Summer of Overpriced games.
They will all go on sale. Plenty to play till then.

This isn't in the OP of the XBLA thread yet? You could have just added it there instead of making a separate thread. I'd imagine the vast vast vast (vast vast) majority of Xbox players are aware of this annual promotion by now. Especially ones that know how to find deals (I'm looking at you cheapassgamer.com members...)

There's always the outside chance a separate thread could help some newbie, so I guess it's not a terrible idea. I'm sure the OP was thinking "well someone is bound to do it, might as well be me" and I can't blame him for that.

Screw microsoft. They used to give us 800 points for buying 3 800 point games. Vote with your wallet people, don't give them money for overpriced games (ms makes the pricing on games, not the devs)

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I'm flaming you, OP. I'm not very nice and have nothing better to do than spoil the mood for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Really? Noone here did any flaming. Pointing out the other thread nicely is not even allowed anymore by the white knights? I think the 107 temps may be getting to you.:hot:

Getting Tony Hawk and Deadlight for sure. Might get Wreckateer, could be worth it for the 400 pts.. Skipping Hybrid and Dust though.

[quote name='LordVila']Thanks for the effort OP!

The list of games and the promotion was in the second post of the XBLA thread though.[/QUOTE]

Yup, here.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9591418&postcount=2

And I agree to the comment "Summer of Overpriced Games", whoever said it.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I'm flaming you, OP. I'm not very nice and have nothing better to do than spoil the mood for everyone.[/QUOTE]

LOL

[quote name='cancerman1120']Really? Noone here did any flaming. Pointing out the other thread nicely is not even allowed anymore by the white knights? I think the 107 temps may be getting to you.:hot:[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he was just inserting a generic flaming comment, instead of actually trying to rip the OP a new asshole, which we all know is coming...

[quote name='tylerh1701']I'm pretty sure he was just inserting a generic flaming comment, instead of actually trying to rip the OP a new asshole, which we all know is coming...[/QUOTE]

Well if that is the case I apologize. I guess the 107 temps are getting to me...I have barely left my friends house for 3 days...so much for a vacation. :drool:

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']I wish that new Rock Band game was part of the SoA. Might buy THPSHD, have to read about the other games.[/QUOTE]

For realsies. If they replaced the Kinect-only game with Rock Band Blitz I'd probably buy that, Deadlight, and Dust for the deal.

All I want is Th. Thankfully they are not going to make me wait until the end of the sale to get something this year.

Well, silly me. I usually scroll the first post of the XBLA thread for info. And then I go to the body of posts. I did a search for summer of arcade 2012 and it showed 1 post at page 60-something for 115 pages.

Yes, I should be more religious and browse every single page daily. So that's a mea culpa. No harm, no foul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmSAQwbbig8&feature=player_embedded

I'm interested in Dust. That one stands out for me as I saw a couple of videos and it looked very interesting. Still amazed that 1 person did all this work.

I don't know much about the others. Wreckateer kind of looks like a 3D version of Angry Birds and I never like Angry Birds (still have no clue why so many people like it). I saw a lot of people playing Hybrid when I was walking the Microsoft booth at E3 but I didn't get to try it. Deadlight looks like a newer version of Limbo.

Why should the Summer of Arcade promotion be exclusive to an XBLA Deal of the Week thread? It technically doesn't even belong in that thread.

The Cult of RedJoey needs to be abolished. :)

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention: all of these games are priced 400msp too high with the possible exception of Deadlight.

Don't expect that one to be another Shadow Complex, though. It's turning out to be more Limbo (puzzles) and I Am Alive (weapons as tools) with zombies.

Last edited by a moderator:
only game I want is tony hawk HD. but even that it seems like it will be meh. It has only 7 maps from tony hawk pro skater 1 and 2.... why they didn't just do them all I don't know.

[quote name='usrevenge']only game I want is tony hawk HD. but even that it seems like it will be meh. It has only 7 maps from tony hawk pro skater 1 and 2.... why they didn't just do them all I don't know.[/QUOTE]

So they can sell them as "map pack add-ons" down the road if the game ends up being popular. Everyone knows that. :p

[quote name='usrevenge']only game I want is tony hawk HD. but even that it seems like it will be meh. It has only 7 maps from tony hawk pro skater 1 and 2.... why they didn't just do them all I don't know.[/QUOTE]

*Insert generic anti-DLC comment here*

Edit: Beaten

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definitely gonna grab Tony Hawk, I spent a lot of my youth playing those first two games, so it'll be nostalgic fun. Not sure about any of the others, was in the Hybrid beta and can pretty sure No to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlKEH8Kc3c

Deadlight... is this more Limbo or more Shadow Complex? I remember seeing a preview and it looked Limbo-esque. But this trailer is more Shadow Complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ip944sfDVY

As for Hybrid... this got a lot of play on the floor for the Microsoft booth at E3. I briefly watched a number of people play it and it seemed fun. It's a 60 fps shooter and really, there are so few of them. Basically Call of Duty and that's it. And 60 fps is king in gameplay. I still can't tell if the cover-based mechanic is worth it. I like the idea of a third person shooter if it's more like Gears and less like Unreal Tournament (hated what happened to UT since its beginnings).

I read previews that said Hybrid is heavily cover-based. But the above preview made it look kind of like Halo MP.

I was in the Hybrid beta, that game is outstanding. Most original and fun shooter I've played in years.

If they would have put Jet Set Radio HD in the promo, I would have been all over buying multiple titles.
As it stands, I am only getting Tony Hawk and even then I know I am in for disappointment. No local multiplayer?
JSR HD is an example of how to treat an hD remake with love. THPSHD is the perfect example of a quick cash-in.

It's too bad too because I love the TH games.

[quote name='bigloser']I was in the Hybrid beta, that game is outstanding. Most original and fun shooter I've played in years.[/QUOTE]

Seems like its either love it or hate it. I was really put off by the movement system so didn't invest much time into playing the game. Plus I don't play a ton of online vs so if I do it'll be in Starhawk or another game.

Seems like a lot of people are going to pass on Dust, which is a shame. That game looks to be brilliant after these past few years, and it got glowing reviews at E3 this year.

I know I'll cave on Tony Hawk and Dust, we'll see about Deadlight. If that's really good enough I'll go for the deal and get 3, but it's got to be near Shadow Complex-quality haha.

[quote name='dirtyvu']Deadlight... is this more Limbo or more Shadow Complex? I remember seeing a preview and it looked Limbo-esque. But this trailer is more Shadow Complex.[/QUOTE]

Skim through this actual gameplay video with narration by some Argentinian guy who seems to know quite a bit about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nHNs7QarA&feature=related

The main appeal of Shadow Complex for me was the true feel of a MetroidVania map & power-up style game. I don't see that in Deadlight. It looks exactly like Shadow Complex, but I'm preparing for immediate disappointment in that regard.

Ok that almost seals it, it LOOKS like Shadow Complex, but PLAYS like Limbo.

But what made Limbo great was it's atmosphere. What made Shadow Complex great was it's gameplay. Not having great feelings about this game.

THPS HD looks good, but NO Bob Burnquist OR Bucky Lasek?? And only seven lvls? why not all of 1 & 2?? PASS!!

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well if that is the case I apologize. I guess the 107 temps are getting to me...I have barely left my friends house for 3 days...so much for a vacation. :drool:[/QUOTE]

It's all good. Even if you're hot, I still think you're cool.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']So they can sell them as "map pack add-ons" down the road if the game ends up being popular. Everyone knows that. :p[/QUOTE]

I hate that you're probably right.

[quote name='IanKazimer']I hate that you're probably right.[/QUOTE]

He is right. DLC has already been confirmed.

I most likely will be picking up Tony Hawk HD. I loved the earlier Tony Hawk games. Hybrid and Deadlight look interesting.

Huh I thought this required 4/5 for the $5 back but 3 is rather nice. I'll probably end up getting 3 of these but I'm on the fence on which ones, Hybrid seems the most hit or miss but I'm definitely going to try the demo.

[quote name='thecollegegamer']i wish that jet set radio hd game was part of the soa. Might buy thpshd, have to read about the other games.[/quote]

fify

[quote name='Pravado']Screw microsoft. They used to give us 800 points for buying 3 800 point games. Vote with your wallet people, don't give them money for overpriced games (ms makes the pricing on games, not the devs)[/QUOTE]
I don't remember that at all.

[quote name='abhinav']Huh I thought this required 4/5 for the $5 back but 3 is rather nice. I'll probably end up getting 3 of these but I'm on the fence on which ones, Hybrid seems the most hit or miss but I'm definitely going to try the demo.[/QUOTE]
This isn't right either.

From what I remember it was buy 4/5 games and get 800pts.

I for one probably won't get any of these games. TH appears to be a huge DLC trap and I'll wait for a sale on Deadlight. Personally I would rather it be more like Shadow Complex than Limbo. I really wish Chair would make a damn SC2.

Wreckateer is just laughable.

THPS is such a great game it'll be a day one instabuy for me even though I think it's at least 400 points overpriced and they've already announced at least 1 dlc pack that I'm sure will be overpriced as well.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']I don't remember that at all.

This isn't right either.

From what I remember it was buy 4/5 games and get 800pts.
[/QUOTE]

No. It's "Buy 3, get 400pts"

[quote name='81ols']THPS HD looks good, but NO Bob Burnquist OR Bucky Lasek?? And only seven lvls? why not all of 1 & 2?? PASS!![/QUOTE]

Where did you find this out?

[quote name='advanced']Where did you find this out?[/QUOTE]

There has been a lot of info for the game. Not all old skaters are returning. Some new skaters that no one care about (like I believe 1 of Tony's sons) will be in, a mix of levels from One and Two, no reverts or anything after, not all of the original songs (I don't think even half but I could be mistaken), new lame songs, no local multiplayer or splitscreen, the hidden tapes have been replaced with 'Hidden DVDs.'
The only things up in the air are whether things like Create-A-Park will be in. Probably not though.

[quote name='sicsonic']No. It's "Buy 3, get 400pts"[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I wonder if people around here deliberately misinterpret others. You (person I'm quoting) are correct if we're talking about the current promotion, but someone earlier in the thread said something about an 800 point refund for buying 3 games "back in the day" - that never happened. It was get 800 back for buying every game in the promotion (four or five, probably five).

I really wanted to pick up THPS, until I saw the price. And the fact that they've already confirmed that they'll release the rest of the maps as paid DLC later just makes my decision not to buy a lot easier.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Sometimes I wonder if people around here deliberately misinterpret others. You (person I'm quoting) are correct if we're talking about the current promotion, but someone earlier in the thread said something about an 800 point refund for buying 3 games "back in the day" - that never happened. It was get 800 back for buying every game in the promotion (four or five, probably five).[/QUOTE]
Why don't people just use google. From what I found in 2010 if you bought all the games you received 1200 ms points and if you only bought 3 you received 400 points. In 2011 you bought all the games to receive a free copy of crimson alliance (1200 msp). 08 and 09 had the summer of arcade but no rewards as far as I can find.

bread's done
Back