Xbox360: $50 Price Cut coming (weekend of 7/13)

After giving back $50 with purchase of GTA4 all month, this drop was predictable. Expected it to be announced at E3 though :)

[quote name='Ronin317']Can anyone crosspost the ad scan? I'm not registering @ HDD to see them...[/QUOTE]

0626081219.jpg

0626081219a.jpg

0626081219b.jpg

[quote name='vherub']wonder what the arcade will be priced at[/QUOTE]

Kinda cool that it could be less than a Wii if this drop is really happening.

[quote name='unforeseen']Will Sony respond with a $50 price cut as well?
Maybe a $100 price cut.[/quote]
After the recent news of how much money Sony has lost on the PS3 so far ($3 billion+), I doubt it.

[quote name='JolietJake']Is that ad from walmart?[/QUOTE]

The OP said the ad is from K-Mart, which is odd cause it looks like a Walmart ad.

[quote name='62t']hmm could people who got free gift card with GTA get a price match?[/quote]

Depends on the store but theoretically yes. Though most stores would probably say that was a different promotion and you could have one or the other in which case they would equal out.

they should have done this before MGS4 rather than use this to play catchup to ensure that PS3 doesnt outsell the 360 for more than a month or 2

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']i wonder if this means they're replacing the 20gig model with something else[/quote]

Actually, it's been widely rumored and even expected by some now that the pro system will get upgraded to a 60gb hard drive. No word on what happens with the Arcade (would it get the base 20gb hard drive or would it remain without one)...

This is so true. I don't know why they always wait until E3 to do their price drops. Sony has sold a ton of systems and microsoft hasn't done anything with their price or anything since Christmas(Xmen/PGR bundle). And their lead in sales hasn't been getting any bigger since then either. DUMB

And where were the GTA4 bundles?

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']they should have done this before MGS4 rather than use this to play catchup to ensure that PS3 doesnt outsell the 360 for more than a month or 2[/QUOTE]

Bah.
I just bought mine about a week ago.
Does this apply to Canada, too?
I remember someone I know bought a jacket, then a week later it was half price, so the store let them come back, and refunded the difference. Anyone know the term for this/if it will apply?

[quote name='hufferstl']This is so true. I don't know why they always wait until E3 to do their price drops. Sony has sold a ton of systems and microsoft hasn't done anything with their price or anything since Christmas(Xmen/PGR bundle). And their lead in sales hasn't been getting any bigger since then either. DUMB

And where were the GTA4 bundles?[/QUOTE]

X-Men/PGR bundles? :whistle2:s:whistle2:s

[quote name='NegativeZero']doubt it,
this aint Sony.[/quote]

There have also been rumours floating around about a 60 gb version of the Xbox 360... so don't be doubtful so early, it may indeed happen.

[quote name='hufferstl']And where were the GTA4 bundles?[/QUOTE]

It was bundled. Just not in the same box. :) More than a few stores had $50 off when you bought GTA4 + a 360.

I think reports showed that GTA4 had no effect on console sales anyway.

[quote name='$CASH$']Still overpriced at $300. The premium should be $250 by now. I may bite when they drop to $200.[/quote]

Overpriced by what standard, exactly? What are you comparing it to that would make it 'overpriced'?

That definitely isn't a K-Mart ad, and it doesn't look like a Wal-Mart ad. It looks like your generic ad to me. Announcing a price cut before E3 also sounds suspicous.

[quote name='KingBroly']That definitely isn't a K-Mart ad, and it doesn't look like a Wal-Mart ad. It looks like your generic ad to me. Announcing a price cut before E3 also sounds suspicous.[/QUOTE]

This has happened before. Remember Circuit City and Speedy.......

[quote name='jonac13']Overpriced by what standard, exactly? What are you comparing it to that would make it 'overpriced'?[/QUOTE]

The 40 GB PS3 that can be had for $300 with the Sony credit card. Now they are essentially the same price but the PS3 offers blu-ray playback and integrated wi-fi.

The 360 is about 3 years old now and they're barely getting around to dropping the price a total of $100? MS can do better than that and I'm pretty sure they would have if it wasn't for the billiion dollar red ring fiasco. Not trying to start a fanboy flamewar here. I want to re-buy a 360 and I will but right now it's overpriced imo.

It looks like a fake to me, it's got that pixelated jaggy photoshop look. The 2 doesn't match the rest of the numbers I don't think, especially in the last pic. Get some hi-res pics then I'll believe it.

[quote name='OGHowie']This has happened before. Remember Circuit City and Speedy.......[/quote]

Not the same thing. That was pretty obvious. This is supposedly a K-Mart ad for one, not a Wal-Mart ad.

Secondly, here's K-Mart's current ad for games:
http://kmart.shoplocal.com/kmart/De...art-080622WRAP&promotioncode=Kmart-080622WRAP

I'm not bringing up background color, I am bringing up that it says "Xbox 360 20gb system" whereas this says "Xbox 360 20gb console".

[quote name='hufferstl']This is so true. I don't know why they always wait until E3 to do their price drops. Sony has sold a ton of systems and microsoft hasn't done anything with their price or anything since Christmas(Xmen/PGR bundle). And their lead in sales hasn't been getting any bigger since then either. DUMB

And where were the GTA4 bundles?[/quote]

in the us, sony has barely ousold the 360 since the first of the year. Off the top of my head, maybe about a 50k lead in 6 months. Considering that blu ray won and mgs4 was just released it isn't that bad. IMO both systems have had a rather piss poor 1st 1/2 of the year sales wise.

As for the alleged $50 price cut, imo it isn't enough. They should drop all systems a $100. Put sony on the defensive and position yourself to be cheaper then the wii. With the alleged motion control, they could advertise the core system to the same demo as the wii and sell it cheaper. They (and sony) aren't moving enough systems monthly at the current price and probably have capped there audience at the current msrp. They could have a really good holiday season with a $100 price drop. While I think there will be an intial spike in sales with this pricedrop it won't sustain and come sept the sales would be back at the current flatlined level.

Nice! Heres hoping the other territories *cough* Australia *cough* drop as well.
[quote name='unforeseen']Will Sony respond with a $50 price cut as well?
Maybe a $100 price cut.[/quote]
$30 in September is my guess. It'll work just as well.

[quote name='$CASH$']The 40 GB PS3 that can be had for $300 with the Sony credit card. Now they are essentially the same price but the PS3 offers blu-ray playback and integrated wi-fi.

The 360 is about 3 years old now and they're barely getting around to dropping the price a total of $100? MS can do better than that and I'm pretty sure they would have if it wasn't for the billiion dollar red ring fiasco. Not trying to start a fanboy flamewar here. I want to re-buy a 360 and I will but right now it's overpriced imo.[/QUOTE]

You can buy the 20GB 360 for $200 (after the price drop) with that Sony card. Your logic is flawed.

[quote name='$CASH$']The 40 GB PS3 that can be had for $300 with the Sony credit card. Now they are essentially the same price but the PS3 offers blu-ray playback and integrated wi-fi.

The 360 is about 3 years old now and they're barely getting around to dropping the price a total of $100? MS can do better than that and I'm pretty sure they would have if it wasn't for the billiion dollar red ring fiasco. Not trying to start a fanboy flamewar here. I want to re-buy a 360 and I will but right now it's overpriced imo.[/quote]

Fair enough, but that price is for someone 'in the know'. Most consumers will NOT look at the PS3 as a $300 unit, and rather a $400 unit. Also, how many times in the past has a company dropped the price of one of their units by around $100 that wasn't overpriced by a significant amount in the first place? I'm not buying it, I think this possible price drop is significant and will do the 360 a lot of good.

Well, my brother and I were planning to get a 360 sometime soon, I can wait a few weeks to see if this is true or not.

[quote name='jonac13']Fair enough, but that price is for someone 'in the know'. Most consumers will NOT look at the PS3 as a $300 unit, and rather a $400 unit. Also, how many times in the past has a company dropped the price of one of their units by around $100 that wasn't overpriced by a significant amount in the first place? I'm not buying it, I think this possible price drop is significant and will do the 360 a lot of good.[/quote]
PS2 dropped by $100 when it was selling like 400k/month.
$300 > $200

(Xbox did it first, but it needed to)

I think this price drop will move a lot of systems for the first months, but MS still needs to up the value (WiFi would be nice, even the DS/PSP/Wii have it for free, not $80) to keep up, IMO.

[quote name='zewone']$100 price drops are for systems that are doing terrible (Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3).[/quote]

And the PS2 AND Xbox in 2002?

bread's done
Back