Xbox360 HD DVD player at Sears for $4.97 YMMV

dayento2

CAG Veteran
I tried doing a search to see if this was a repost and I'm not sure if you would qualify this posting as strictly "video game" related but here goes.

I work at Sears and I've been eyeing this Xbox 360 HD DVD player that for the longest was $49.97 (clearance). I've been there since May so I've been staring at it since then. Today on a whim I decided to check to see the price and BAM! $4.97. Needless to say I scooped it up!

Now YMMV on this one. More than likely your local Sears will not display this and it will be in a back stock room. Go to electronics and ask them to check this item number if they have it in stock.

Div #58 Item #91807

Now this price should be valid nationally since this is what rang up on the register and not a markdown by the store. More than likely your store doesn't have them since any concerned stock room manager will have by now pushed this inventory out when HD DVDs hit the tanker

[quote name='shawngf']So I went by the Sears in Sacramento today. Their computer said they had one, but the clerk I asked almost immediately - upon seeing the price - told me that the computer was likely incorrect and that they were out of stock. He said he'd go look and for about 5 minutes he did. He came back empty. I admit to being a bit suspicious, but ah well.[/quote]
Sounds like he got the deal tonight.

[quote name='shawngf']So I went by the Sears in Sacramento today. Their computer said they had one, but the clerk I asked almost immediately - upon seeing the price - told me that the computer was likely incorrect and that they were out of stock. He said he'd go look and for about 5 minutes he did. He came back empty. I admit to being a bit suspicious, but ah well.[/QUOTE]

I worked retail for 5 years and the computer inventory is hardly ever correct, especially dealing with low quantities. So I don't think the guy was trying to scam you.

Thanks for the heads up on this; if it has been in the "Sears clearance thread" like others are bitching about, I along with many others wouldn't have seen it. So thanks for the heads up OP.

HAHA I got it for 4.97 at mine. It was 14.97 and I was like oh nm I was just checking if it was 4.97 and some guy yells from the next aisle "give it to him", came up and swiped some card. I don't have any movies though :\ might just end up selling it at cost to a friend of mine that has HD DVDs if I can't find any for a decent price. It was the last one.

Thanks OP. I never noticed the Sears Clearance thread and was happy to pick one up for myself. (probably the last one in Brooklyn, NY)

I just ran across this post and I have 2 questions

1) What type of DVD player is it for non HD DVD's. Currently I have a very cheap low end DVD that has sucky quality

2) Does it include an input for HDMI?

Thanks,
I'll let you know what I find

[quote name='babramson101']I just ran across this post and I have 2 questions

1) What type of DVD player is it for non HD DVD's. Currently I have a very cheap low end DVD that has sucky quality

Thanks,
I'll let you know what I find[/QUOTE]

it attaches to your 360... you need a 360 for it to work. if you already have a 360, you already have a DVD player. HDMI is available if your 360 has HDMI... if not, no.

[quote name='babramson101']I just ran across this post and I have 2 questions

Thanks,
I'll let you know what I find[/quote]It'll upscale via VGA or HDMI, as the player has a HDMI port on the back of it.

As an upscaling DVD player, it's not that great.

I called my local sears and asked him if you have any Xbox 360 hd-dvd players in stock and he said, HD-DVD? I'll check. *Typing* no I do not.

Oh well I was just going to eBay it anyway.

Got one yesterday, cant remember the Sears I was at, but it was in either Texas or Louisiana... only one there... still priced 179.99...

[quote name='zman73']Got one yesterday, cant remember the Sears I was at, but it was in either Texas or Louisiana... only one there... still priced 179.99...[/QUOTE]

Texas or Louisianna.

I think that's a bit of a difference.

Not really when the two states border one another... and I visited Sears in both states on the way home from The Woodlands TX

[quote name='zenintrude']it attaches to your 360... you need a 360 for it to work.[/quote]
actually, from what i understand, it will work with a PC too...

[quote name='shrike4242']It'll upscale via VGA or HDMI, as the player has a HDMI port on the back of it.
[/quote]

Incorrect.

The :hd: 360 add-on itself lacks a HDMI port. It only has a mini-USB port.

I'm not sure if the :hd: add-on does any upscaling by itself. For example, if you use it as an external drive for a computer, I do not know if it will upscale :dvd:.

If you use it with a 360 system, it will upscale via VGA or HDMI. If you own a 360 that lack a HDMI port, your only option for upscaling :dvd: is to use a VGA adapter.

[quote name='manthing']Incorrect.

The :hd: 360 add-on itself lacks a HDMI port. It only has a mini-USB port.

I'm not sure if the :hd: add-on does any upscaling by itself. For example, if you use it as an external drive for a computer, I do not know if it will upscale :dvd:.

If you use it with a 360 system, it will upscale via VGA or HDMI. If you own a 360 that lack a HDMI port, your only option for upscaling :dvd: is to use a VGA adapter.[/quote]

He speaks the truth there is not a HDMI port on the back of the HDDVD add-on itself.

For $5 I STRONGLY recommend everyone with an XBox 360 gets one of these. HD-DVD may be dead, but you can still play regular DVD movies with it. HD-DVD movies are also dirt cheap. With so many 360's still out there that are subject to the RRoD, and even for those that aren't, anything you can do to take the strain off the console hardware will likely help extend the life of your machine.

picked up DDR universe 1 & 2 for $14.97 each.Also have Dynasty warriors gundum for PS3/Xbox 360. They are up for trade for a xbox 360 HD-DVD drive? or please check my list thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheepGamez']For $5 I STRONGLY recommend everyone with an XBox 360 gets one of these. HD-DVD may be dead, but you can still play regular DVD movies with it. HD-DVD movies are also dirt cheap. With so many 360's still out there that are subject to the RRoD, and even for those that aren't, anything you can do to take the strain off the console hardware will likely help extend the life of your machine.[/quote]

as far as i know, it DOES NOT play DVD's. Which seems very odd. The 360 does all the work for processing the video. So you just put your DVD in the xbox and it does the upscaling work. I've got a drive sitting here and it does not read DVD's. I also had another one for my other 360 and it also didnt read them.

[quote name='CXK']as far as i know, it DOES NOT play DVD's. Which seems very odd. The 360 does all the work for processing the video. So you just put your DVD in the xbox and it does the upscaling work. I've got a drive sitting here and it does not read DVD's. I also had another one for my other 360 and it also didnt read them.[/quote]

Mine plays DVD's just fine.

picked up DDR universe 1 & 2 for $14.97 each.Also have Dynasty warriors gundum for PS3/Xbox 360. They are up for trade for a xbox 360 HD-DVD drive? or please check my list thanks

I will give 26$ shipped for one of these bad boys as my local Grocery Store is clearing out all of there hd dvds for dirt cheap. Pm me if you can snag one :D

I found two but they still had them priced as 49.99..... I gave the guy my number and it was at a Sears Grand....
hopefully I can get them once they get the pricing fixed

[quote name='CXK']as far as i know, it DOES NOT play DVD's. Which seems very odd. The 360 does all the work for processing the video. So you just put your DVD in the xbox and it does the upscaling work. I've got a drive sitting here and it does not read DVD's. I also had another one for my other 360 and it also didnt read them.[/quote]

I watch regular DVDs on my HD-DVD player all the time. The upscaling isn't great but it's better than burning out the DVD drive in the 360.

This is incorrect, it plays regular DVD's fine. It's not as good as the PS3 DVD playback, but if you have a 360 only I would definately get it if for nothing else to relive the stress your DVD drive goes through if you use your 360 also as a DVD player. Drive failure is the second-most common problem with 360's.

LOL Noob giving out false information as fact.

I checked in my local Sears, no go. Oh well, Toys 'R Us has them but for like $50 bucks... no thanks...

bread's done
Back