Xbox360 too loud!?! Make it almost completely silent!!

uEih

CAGiversary!
I know i'm bothered by the xbox360's drive and many of you probably are too. So i was looking around and i found a little trick to do to slow down your drive and make it extremely quiet, almost silent!! It'll sound as if you don't have a game in the drive. Here is a step by step instruction on how to do this great little trick:

1. Turn on your 360 and go to the Systems Blade.

2. On the systems blade go to Memory and press A.

3. In memory have the hard drive selected and press Y.

4. Now it should bring up a Device Summary and do this combination code, "X X LB RB X X" and it should bring up a "Maintain Storage Devices."

5. Select Yes. This basically clears all the online patches for games and only the patches. It DOES NOT clear anything else except the patches.

6. After doing all that go back to the main dashboard and insert a game with an online patch. For example: Oblivion, Gears of War, etc.

7. As the game loads it'll ask for an online update, DO NOT PUT YES OR NO YET.

8. Now eject the game and insert whichever game you want to play.

9. Close the drive and wait a few seconds for it to start spinning. All of switching games is done while the blade asking you to update is still open.

10. Finally after the game has started spinning, choose "Yes" for the update and your xbox360 should be running the game as quiet as possible. Enjoy!!

Credits to Smartfox. I got all this from: http://forums.xbox.com/1/12946080/ShowPost.aspx#12946080

And if you need a little help go here for a youtube video showing you how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83Kt_r2edo

It's not my video nor did i find this trick, all credits goes to the links. Many people have done this and even think this will solve the overheating problem as it's basically making everything work less. Load times are slower but i'm willing to lose that for this silence. Slower load times = less stress on the whole system, therefore less chance of overheating issues and RRoD. I've done this myself and wow i was amazed at how quiet it is.

Yeah this use to happen to me all the time my 360 would scratch one of my game disk abd the it would go silent and the games load times got longer but it was silent.

Eventually that 360 died the lens craped out on it

So i got a bew one and now its fucking up mass efect

This sounds fake and a way to mess up your xbox, I'm not trying it because I don't mind how loud it is.

This seems like an odd procedure to go through to make it quieter, and who even knows what the long- term effects could be. Like most people say, if you have it in some sort of entertainment center and can have the volume up, to a medium volume you get used to it.

[quote name='BackInBlack']This seems like an odd procedure to go through to make it quieter, and who even knows what the long- term effects could be. Like most people say, if you have it in some sort of entertainment center and can have the volume up, to a medium volume you get used to it.[/quote]

Yes, better safe than sorry. I don't even notice how loud it is when I get into a game!

Even when I am playing at night with the volume turned pretty far down, I don't even notice the noise the drive makes. I don't know what the big dealy is.

My 360 is in a cabinet and I just close the door in front of it and I can barely hear it. I have a hole in the back of the cabinet and the other door is open so it won't overheat.

or you could use the hacked firmware and lower your drive reading speed (but at the same time increase loading time)

[quote name='BackInBlack']This seems like an odd procedure to go through to make it quieter, and who even knows what the long- term effects could be. Like most people say, if you have it in some sort of entertainment center and can have the volume up, to a medium volume you get used to it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the 360 is a long-term piece of hardware, given the failure rates...

anyway, I should try this nonsense out. The system's pretty damn loud.

[quote name='Chacrana']I don't think the 360 is a long-term piece of hardware, given the failure rates...

[/QUOTE]

True, but it doesnt mean this will rrod your 360, it could give it other trouble not under warranty by Microsoft. If i had a Product Replacement plan, i would maybe try this out.

It is too loud, but not worth doing all that stuff to make it quiet.

I just wrap mine in a wet towel and close the cabinet door to keep it quiet.

Works every time

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Does anyone know why this procedure lowers the disc drive speed?[/quote]

Because it has been proven to bring the 360 65% closer to the RRoD....

The noise of the drive really shows itself in games with a lot of talking. I have a Sony Surround Sound system with volume levels going from 0-50. During normal hours I play in the 28-34 range. During quiet hours at my apartment i turn it down to the 18-26 range depending on the game. Playing Mass Effect I had to crank up the sound to at least 38 to hear the voices over the drive spinning. I had to set effects and music to 40% of the voice volume.

The drive really sucks when playing games like Half Life 2 that don't have different volume levels for voices vs. sounds effects. I have to constantly change the volume while playing that at night.

[quote name='jkanownik']The noise of the drive really shows itself in games with a lot of talking. I have a Sony Surround Sound system with volume levels going from 0-50. During normal hours I play in the 28-34 range. During quiet hours at my apartment i turn it down to the 18-26 range depending on the game. Playing Mass Effect I had to crank up the sound to at least 38 to hear the voices over the drive spinning. I had to set effects and music to 40% of the voice volume.

The drive really sucks when playing games like Half Life 2 that don't have different volume levels for voices vs. sounds effects. I have to constantly change the volume while playing that at night.[/quote]
I started to play Mass Effect over the weekend and the xbox360 noise didn't bother me until I started this game for the exact same reason. For games with a lot of intense action, I never notice the noise b/c I'm so engrossed in keeping my player alive and everything going on around me. For a game like Mass Effect, there is a lot of dialogue/quiter situations and the noise drives me crazy. I swear I thought somebody was running the blow dryer! When I got up to check on the noise I realized it was the 360 when I walked into the other room and the noise diminished :lol:

edit: I also wanted to add that I've been getting a lot of DRE's in the past few months. I want the RROD to happen already so that I can send it into MS LOL!

My disc drive never quiets down anymore. But, this is a system that hasn't broken. While the other one, while quieter died.

Add this to the next firmware: Slow down the disc drive speed

Problem solved.

[quote name='Malik112099']Because it has been proven to bring the 360 65% closer to the RRoD....[/quote]

Got a link to the source of your claim? Sounds bogus to me.

My Elite is pretty quiet, but I did buy one of the later systems.

Hopefully I can at least get a solid year before the inevitable RROD.

To tell you guys the truth, i think it is a lot to go through to play quiet. I think it should be used for when you have to be quiet like somebody is sleeping, etc. I really don't see why this will cause the 360 to overheat and RRoD or anything.

Use at your own risk! This technique is neither endorsed nor encouraged by cheapassgamer.com.

That being said - I personally call bullshit. The effort required to even do this exceeds all rationality.

bread's done
Back