xbox360 vga vs hdmi

runscottie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey guys, so I am about to buy a new 23inch LCD monitor from newegg.com, and had some questions about the best way to get my HD gaming on.

I have a xbox360 pro that does not have hdmi. So right now the best way for me to hook it up to the monitor is by buying a VGA hookup. The other thing I've been thinking of doing is just selling my 360 console (keeping the harddrive) and buying an HDMI 360 via ebay or other cheap source. Of course, this is much more expensive.

I want to use the 360 for gaming and DVD watching. Is the chance to use HDMI worth the extra work (and money) to procure an HDMI 360?

If it weren't for the fact that you plan to use your 360 for DVDs, I'd say it doesn't matter, usually (depends on the TV brand). Your upscaling options are limited unless you use HDMI, so if you want the best quality possible...

Of course, it might be cheaper to keep your existing console and buy an upscaling DVD player. Something else to consider.

No, it isn't worth the money to get a 360 with a HDMI port. VGA is the best way to go with a small monitor.

Also, keep in mind HDMI is pretty useless if your monitor doesn't actually have an HDMI port.

If your monitor cannot do the HDCP handshaking protocol (At that price, it may not) then you cannot use HDMI even with an HDMI-DVI converter.

I have a beautiful 22'' view sonic LCD 720p tv that could also be used as a monitor.

The way I have it set up is with the VGA cable this is visually amazing and you get great quality with it. I do notice on some movies I watch that the video is a bit grainy but I just picked up a 50 dollar dvd player with the up conversion (they are even cheaper then that) and it works much better then the vga cable.

Don't forget you may need an external sound source for your cable I had to have it with mine. Also anyone who tells you that you need 1080 for anything 32 inch and small is an idiot.

bread's done
Back