XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Out! - Now with a demo!)

Rhett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
I saw a thread was made for Dishonored, so I figured XCOM deserved one as well.

It was made by Firaxis, who has made all of the Civilization games (including their sole console title until now, Civilization Revolution). XCOM: EU is a reimagining of the first game (X-COM: Enemy Unknown) from 1994. It is a turn-based strategy game with light RPG elements, as well as base management.

It has 1v1 multiplayer, but is intended to be mainly a single-player experience. Four difficulty levels, including Ironman mode, that limits you to one save game. That is, you cannot have multiple saves and revert back to one if you don't like what happened. It will auto-save over the one save, every time anything notable happens in the game. It also has permadeath for all members of your squad, regardless of difficulty. That one soldier you put through several missions, to rank him up, could die with one wrong move (or roll of the dice) if you aren't careful.

Here's a good video from a stream that Firaxis did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8HaSREnH8

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rhett']I saw a thread was made for Dishonored, so I figured XCOM deserved one as well.

It was made by Firaxis, who has made all of the Civilization games (including their sole console title until now, Civilization Revolution). XCOM: EU is a reimagining of the first game (X-COM: Enemy Unknown) from 1994. It is a turn-based strategy game with light RPG elements, as well as base management.

It has 1v1 multiplayer, but is intended to be mainly a single-player experience. Four difficulty levels, including Ironman mode, that limits you to one save game. That is, you cannot have multiple saves and revert back to one if you don't like what happened. It will auto-save over the one save, every time anything notable happens in the game. It also has permadeath for all members of your squad, regardless of difficulty. That one soldier you put through several missions, to rank him up, could die with one wrong move (or roll of the dice) if you aren't careful.

Here's a good video from a stream that Firaxis did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8HaSREnH8[/QUOTE]

Just like Fire Emblem? Not interested.

Just preorder this from bestbuy after seeing all the good reviews on my lunch break. You get a free $15 gift card with preorder too! (FROM BEST BUY) Had to grab it. Dishonored will have to wait...

My feelings exactly. I'm jonesin' to play me some Dishonored, but I was blown away playing XCOM as a kid - I loved the Gold Box AD&D RPGs, but XCOM was my true love. And for some reason, I never actually finished it...I may have run into a glitch deep in the game, like I did with Wasteland, and didn't pick it up again.

Well, definitely picking it up this time. I tried to resist from spending any money, so I traded in a few games - some I haven't even played yet - to make this pickup tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

Not my style of game at all. I don't like the whole thing with having to move each one of your squad mates where you want them.

Got it in the mail earlier. Love it. Had a few issues initially (bugs/HDD related) but so far it's great. A lot to manage.

And, I would just like to add,

HOLY fuck, CHRYSSALIDS WHAT THE fuck.

Don't ever take them lightly. One just killed two members of my best squad, while it was dead.

K. Tutorial level 2 so not worried about spoiler. You see an alien that looks more human than the other s. The girl says to try to capture it. Did I miss how to do this or does.she just mean shoot the thing?

Well, Assassin's Creed 3 was the last game I wanted to get this month(for now) But I ended up getting Dishonored and I just had to check out the demo for this and I may pick this up as well. I don't even play strategy games and never played the original but just from trying the demo, I can tell its something I would like. Wish they would have at least given you one full mission to try though instead of just the two short tutorial ones.

I have never played the original PC or PS1 X-com games but after hearing Giant Bomb talk/quick look so much of the game I figure i'd try it out. I'm playing on easy since if Ryan couldn't play it on normal without dropping the difficulty to get past missions, an amateur like myself probably wouldn't stand a chance.

So far I haven't had many issues as far as difficulty but I just came across a UFO crash level where I had to restart around 10 times because I had 3 Mutons raping me with their long range and then I had 6 Floaters jumping all around the map.

Luckily after a while I found a way to segregate the floaters and found good hiding spaces to wait until the mutons came into my path of view. I've put in about 4 hours so fa rand am really enjoying it. I'm currently switching up Torchlight 2 & Borderlands 2 as well as this game, but as long as I can keep myself from throwing my controller through the screen due to aggravation, i'm gonna keep playing X-com.

Well, despite me being terrible at it, i'm really enjoying this game so far. I'm still very early in it.. I think i've only done like 4 or 5 missions and still managed to have one guy die on my latest one. I'm playing on easy until I get the hang of things then i'm going to start over again on normal and try to work my way up from there.

Does anyone know how to cure poison? I would assume a medkit but nobody on my team had one.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']medkit does cure poison[/QUOTE]

Yup - not only that, whoever has a medkit equipped is immune to poison as well.

[quote name='Kylearan']Yup - not only that, whoever has a medkit equipped is immune to poison as well.[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for that bit of information. I had nobody with a medkit minus the support. This game really is great. It's hard to put down once you start. I still have it on easy but i'm going to start over soon on normal.

Despite the fact I'd never even heard of the original game, the GT review sold me on this one.... but given my backlog, I'll be waiting to pick it up til the moment I see it for a sub-$20 price :/

I love XCom, never played the original so I didn't really know what to expect but I'm totally addicted and don't want it to to end. Maybe I've been a PC gamer trapped in the body of a console owner all this time and didn't know it. I'm playing it on a PS3 and I've never heard it work so hard, the motor sounds like it is in overdrive the whole time I'm playing XCom. No other game makes my PS3 cry for mercy and I was wondering if this is normal?

[quote name='Greybeard']I love XCom, never played the original so I didn't really know what to expect but I'm totally addicted and don't want it to to end. Maybe I've been a PC gamer trapped in the body of a console owner all this time and didn't know it. I'm playing it on a PS3 and I've never heard it work so hard, the motor sounds like it is in overdrive the whole time I'm playing XCom. No other game makes my PS3 cry for mercy and I was wondering if this is normal?[/QUOTE]

Same as far as never playing the original and never really playing many pc games but I love this...addicting is the correct word. Earlier today, I kept telling myself, "This will be the last mission" over two hours later I finally took a break.

I'm playing on the 360. I have it installed to the hard drive but there are performance issues. The game slows to a crawl at points, for a few seconds at a time. It's usually when overwatch is activated. I'm hoping there will be a patch for that soon. I have had the game freeze on me one time to. Hopefully its just an isolated incident.

Played a couple of multiplayer matches for the first time earlier. First one, I got slaughtered. Second one was very even...we each had one guy left. I have a 69% chance to hit. I take the shot and miss. Figured that was it for me..he hit me but I had one health left. I walk right up on him to finish him off and win and my guy misses an 86% chance to hit(!!!!!) I was then killed:(

[quote name='shotgunshine']Played a couple of multiplayer matches for the first time earlier. First one, I got slaughtered. Second one was very even...we each had one guy left. I have a 69% chance to hit. I take the shot and miss. Figured that was it for me..he hit me but I had one health left. I walk right up on him to finish him off and win and my guy misses an 86% chance to hit(!!!!!) I was then killed:([/QUOTE]

That's XCOM!

I dont know if certain enemies have higher miss ratios behind what you see in the hit ratio but those little red aliens seem to be the worst. I was constantly missing 70-80% shots but the biggest FU was me running up to one with a heavy, 95% chance to hit and I still miss. I almost threw my controller at the TV.

I Beat the game on easy and now am debating going back on Ironman Classic to get the "real feel" for the game. The thing thats holding me back (other than having a buncha other games to play) is that middle part before you unlock plasma weapons where its a real pain.

Earlier I lost my fully upgraded sniper. Damn Mutons. She was with me since the second mission...had over 30 kills:( My best soldier who has been with me since the first mission and has over 40 kills nearly died. I got hit with a grenade that put me in critical. Luckily, I had a support with me and was able to stabilize him. Its also good I bought the recover twice as fast perk. That is a must have.

A question about when/how to get certain weapons. Spoiler if anyone doesn't want to know about it.

How and when can you start getting plasma weapons?

[quote name='shotgunshine']Earlier I lost my fully upgraded sniper. Damn Mutons. She was with me since the second mission...had over 30 kills:( My best soldier who has been with me since the first mission and has over 40 kills nearly died. I got hit with a grenade that put me in critical. Luckily, I had a support with me and was able to stabilize him. Its also good I bought the recover twice as fast perk. That is a must have.

A question about when/how to get certain weapons. Spoiler if anyone doesn't want to know about it.

[/QUOTE]
u get it from the laboratory from upgrading

[quote name='shotgunshine']Earlier I lost my fully upgraded sniper. Damn Mutons. She was with me since the second mission...had over 30 kills:( My best soldier who has been with me since the first mission and has over 40 kills nearly died. I got hit with a grenade that put me in critical. Luckily, I had a support with me and was able to stabilize him. Its also good I bought the recover twice as fast perk. That is a must have.

[/QUOTE]

Capture an enemy to get an intact weapon. Once you research that weapon, the other plasma weapons (except for the pistol, which is... odd...) will become available for research.

Capture a muton or a heavy floater or something like that to get an alien grenade, then use the foundry to upgrade your regular grenades into alien grenades.

[quote name='shotgunshine']Same as far as never playing the original and never really playing many pc games but I love this...addicting is the correct word. Earlier today, I kept telling myself, "This will be the last mission" over two hours later I finally took a break.

I'm playing on the 360. I have it installed to the hard drive but there are performance issues. The game slows to a crawl at points, for a few seconds at a time. It's usually when overwatch is activated. I'm hoping there will be a patch for that soon. I have had the game freeze on me one time to. Hopefully its just an isolated incident.[/QUOTE]

Weird another game that seems to run on PS3 better than XBox. No freezes, glitches, or slow down on PS3 for me when I rented it from Family Video.

[quote name='The Crotch']
Capture an enemy to get an intact weapon. Once you research that weapon, the other plasma weapons (except for the pistol, which is... odd...) will become available for research.

Capture a muton or a heavy floater or something like that to get an alien grenade, then use the foundry to upgrade your regular grenades into alien grenades.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I finally realized that yesterday. I've played like 20 missions in iron man and have yet to do that. Going to make that a priority when I play later.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Weird another game that seems to run on PS3 better than XBox. No freezes, glitches, or slow down on PS3 for me when I rented it from Family Video.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its annoying. And when I said it usually does it when overwatch is activated, I meant all the time. I don't know if there going for some cinematic type thing or what but i'm sure its a bug. It can get really weird when multiple people start firing for overwatch. The camera can bug out or it'll just stay in place on one guy but you can't see if he hit or missed anything. I also had the game freeze on me a second time.

Are you sure it's not just the slow motion camera thing?

I don't know why they put a slow motion camera on misses. Nobody wants to see their guy shoot like a fucking moron for ten seconds straight.

I also don't know why they put a slow motion camera on snipers. Here's a guy standing totally still in slow motion!

See, I think it is that but it bugs out for me. The camera can go crazy or stay locked on and zoomed in on one person, even if multiple people are in overwatch..and you wont be able to tell if they hit or missed someone. Also, even after there done firing, it'll still stay in the slow motion mode for a good 3-5 seconds and then you can do your next turn.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Weird another game that seems to run on PS3 better than XBox. No freezes, glitches, or slow down on PS3 for me when I rented it from Family Video.[/QUOTE]
you are wrong, there are freeze/ glitches/ bugs for the ps3 as well. just type those key words along with xcom enemy unknwon into google search. you will see tons of complaints on the 2k board. i am trading my ps3 copy on tuesday. it is a underrated good game, but i just can't deal with the freeze, and glitches/bug. it reminds me so much of fallout series/ skyrim, lol

[quote name='YBX87']you are wrong, there are freeze/ glitches/ bugs for the ps3 as well. just type those key words along with xcom enemy unknwon into google search. you will see tons of complaints on the 2k board. i am trading my ps3 copy on tuesday. it is a underrated good game, but i just can't deal with the freeze, and glitches/bug. it reminds me so much of fallout series/ skyrim, lol[/QUOTE]

Sucks man. I've only had two freezes in playing about 12-15 hours...hopefully no more. And while the stuttering/slowdown thing is annoying, I can deal with it. Fallout 3 is one of my favorite 360 games but I had so many game freezes it was ridiculous.

Has anyone built a SHIV? Is it worth it? I finally remembered to stun an alien so now I have access to there weapons.

Haven't built a SHIV yet, but I'm pretty close to having 12 Colonels - might as well build a SHIV for the heck of it, it's only 75 credits.

As for freezing - really? I've put in 20 hours so far on 360 and not one crash or freeze to speak of.

I never saw any use for SHIVs. Or labs or... whatever the engineer equivalent of the lab is.

Now, HWPs, the mini-tanks in the original game? Used the fuck out of those. Amazing scouting and firepower, especially in the early game. Just can't let them steal training from your squad.

[quote name='shotgunshine']See, I think it is that but it bugs out for me. The camera can go crazy or stay locked on and zoomed in on one person, even if multiple people are in overwatch..and you wont be able to tell if they hit or missed someone. Also, even after there done firing, it'll still stay in the slow motion mode for a good 3-5 seconds and then you can do your next turn.[/QUOTE]
The best overwatch glitch is when the shooting unit is facing 90 degrees to the left or right yet. Curve the bullet.

[quote name='shotgunshine']Has anyone built a SHIV? Is it worth it? I finally remembered to stun an alien so now I have access to there weapons.[/QUOTE]
From what I've read, hover plasma SHIVs seem to be useful scouts in late game. They help with a few of the late game enemies.

Start on Easy. First things from the squad school to buy are the upgrades to 5/6 squad members in the party. Take 1 Heavy, 1 Sniper, 1 Assault, and 1 Support as your main party, add an extra Assault/Support as your party increases. People don't have classes until they advance from Rookie to Squaddie rank.

Be careful on how you build out your base so that you can get satellite stations, power stations, and labratories to connect to each other for bonuses. Also don't rush through the story missions (which come up after you do priority researches.) Make sure you do the research to upgrade your weapons as soon as possible to the laser then plasma versions. NEVER research anything classified as slow, only fast or normal.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Make sure you do the research to upgrade your weapons as soon as possible to the laser then plasma versions. NEVER research anything classified as slow, only fast or normal.[/QUOTE]

skip laser research. research other stuff like armor and then go for plasma research as soon as you can.

I find the laser research necessary to get through the alien base unscathed but to each their own.

FYI this will be $25 at Walmart on Thanksgiving Night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this game on Cyber Monday for $25. Wow, great game. Very difficult even on easier settings. You will have poeple die, get used to it. Easily my favorite game that has come out in the last 6 months.

bread's done
Back