Xenoblade - $69.99 / Metroid Prime Trilogy - $59.99 @Gamestop

jholden3249

CAGiversary!
Gamestop has yet again lowered the prices on these two games- apparently not enough people jumped on the restock. In any case, this is the best prices I've seen on these games since Gamestop originally raised the prices a month before the restock. If you're a PUR member, you of course will receive 10% off, bringing the prices down to $63 for Xenoblade and $54 for Metroid Prime Trilogy. Not bad at all.

Here's the links:
Xenoblade

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Last edited by a moderator:
Every GS in my area has 3+ of both games in stock...I kinda expect another price drop.  Glad I sold my disc only prime trilogy and complete Xenoblade when I first got wind of a reprint.

I saw this coming and it's the sole reason I waited to pick both those games up despite wanting both. My local GS had multiple copies last I was there. I considered buying new sealed copies so I could say they were originals but if the price keeps dropping I wouldn't be surprised to see them start selling new/sealed reprints.

I found a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy at a Gamestop the other night only to find it wasn't even in a steelbook. I just want to make sure I'm not crazy in saying that it was only released in a steelbook right?

I found a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy at a Gamestop the other night only to find it wasn't even in a steelbook. I just want to make sure I'm not crazy in saying that it was only released in a steelbook right?
the reprints are standard case

edit: ninja bastard

Every store around me has more copies than they know what to do with (been in stock for weeks on the store locator) so it's obviously not selling bonkers as they had planned. I think the price on this will drop further. Also helps that here these games are locked up in a case, you can't even see them, so no one coming into the store knows they are there. They are not on the shelf with the regular Wii game cases. Unless someone asks for one of course.

Every store around me has more copies than they know what to do with (been in stock for weeks on the store locator) so it's obviously not selling bonkers as they had planned. I think the price on this will drop further. Also helps that here these games are locked up in a case, you can't even see them, so no one coming into the store knows they are there. They are not on the shelf with the regular Wii game cases. Unless someone asks for one of course.
I saw Metroid prime on the shelf, no Xenoblade though. Was surprised to see that gamestop had reprinted metroid prime trilogy cases over their original steelbooks that they were originally in.

Why was this so expensive to being with? It's a mediocre game at best, when comparing it to the library on all platforms. The gameplay is incredibly dated.

I really don't know why this reprint hasn't received as much outrage as when a potential Xenoblade re-print was being thrown around. I haven't gone to Gamestop to see these disk first hand but the white cases are big tipping point. If this really is the case a class action lawsuit needs to go into effect again over the gutted game issue. I guess when I pick up Wind Waker this Friday I will take a look myself and judge.

I really don't know why this reprint hasn't received as much outrage as when a potential Xenoblade re-print was being thrown around. I haven't gone to Gamestop to see these disk first hand but the white cases are big tipping point. If this really is the case a class action lawsuit needs to go into effect again over the gutted game issue. I guess when I pick up Wind Waker this Friday I will take a look myself and judge.
Sorry but you lost me here on this one. Tipping point for what? And a lawsuit "again"?

Sorry but you lost me here on this one. Tipping point for what? And a lawsuit "again"?
If this is a reprint, which would not constitute this as new would put Gamestops whole business logic on gutted games being sold as new on the pedestal again. There was a some big huppla about this several years ago, here is a link talking about the story that unfolded.

Well I kind of hate gamestop is making the games that are going up in value (like pikmin & pokemon games & these games) but at the same time there bring down the prices somewhat.

Overall I dislike them but I do get games from them super cheap I guess.

And If it wasn't gamestop though it would be some other company.

There is a market for this, as we have seen & already know.

If this is a reprint, which would not constitute this as new would put Gamestops whole business logic on gutted games being sold as new on the pedestal again. There was a some big huppla about this several years ago...

But their not being sold as new, their being sold as used. And that is true about employees "renting" new games. I used 2 be a manager at GS and After reading that link, I dont ever remember seeing any kind of signage make a point of reference for customers.

I saw Metroid prime on the shelf, no Xenoblade though. Was surprised to see that gamestop had reprinted metroid prime trilogy cases over their original steelbooks that they were originally in.
I saw them both on the shelf. Metroid Trilogy was in a standard white case.

How badly will this affect the first runs of Trilogy?

Also, should I still keep Xenoblade Sealed? I bought it, but never got around to playing it. Has that value dropped tremendously?

Have any of you guys actually seen any sealed copies since the reprint? I know GS employees were suppose to GUT every copy they got to consider it used. Just curious...

Just to screw around with it, I tried going through the checkout process. It took CAG16 but didn't seem to give me 10% off for PUR Pro; that would have knocked it down to almost $50 before tax which is way closer to what I'd like to see on this game.

Have any of you guys actually seen any sealed copies since the reprint? I know GS employees were suppose to GUT every copy they got to consider it used. Just curious...
I still haven't seen a sealed copy but speculated in the reprint announcement thread that if the price continues to drop, and all signs point to that IMO, they will eventually reach MSRP and under. At that point is there a reason left to gut all the copies? Leaving them sealed may help sell a few of them.

I considered going with a sealed copy to ensure I knew, and could prove, that it was an original. I decided to wait as I'm not sure they won't start selling sealed reprints as the price keeps dropping.

Atleast Metroid's original has the steel book but I think the value may still drop some as demand for it will surely decrease as those who wanted have picked up a reprinted version.

I saw them both on the shelf. Metroid Trilogy was in a standard white case.

How badly will this affect the first runs of Trilogy?
Also, should I still keep Xenoblade Sealed? I bought it, but never got around to playing it. Has that value dropped tremendously?
I'm sure it will effect sealed copies some but since the reprints have been gutted the sealed versions are the best way to confirm its an original, first print, copy. The cases are a bit different on the inside with what is printed above the disk, but the cases could be swapped.

The problem, IMO, is GameStop could start selling new/sealed reprints especially as the price drops to MSRP and under.

All that said, it's all speculation and there's no way to know for sure.

The problem, IMO, is GameStop could start selling new/sealed reprints especially as the price drops to MSRP and under.

All that said, it's all speculation and there's no way to know for sure.

I almost doubt that they would start selling sealed copies.... I mean, do they open the sealed copies on an on-demand basis?

Say you want to buy Xenoblade. The clerk goes in the back room, opens the seal on Xenoblade and rings it up. Or did they pre-open a bunch of copies? Or, were there ever sealed reprints?

If only an insider would shine some light.

The GS Reprint is a regular white plastic case :(
Last time I was at Gamestop, I noticed that regular Wii case version as well. I was very confused when I saw that at first and this would explain it. I know the original retail was in a Steelbook case with a transparent plastic sleeve over it like this:

metroid-prime-trilogy-box-arts-collectors-edition-wii.jpg

Unless they had too many extra Aussie game boxes.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/09/24/au-no-steel-case-for-metroid-prime-trilogy

Wow.

So glad I sold my sealed Steelbook for like $199. 

I actually never even played it (I did 100% Metriod Prime 1 on my Gamecube, but never played 2... and never played the Wii version). Might pick it up if it ever drops to like $20. 

What I've really been waiting for is a Wii-U "HD" edition of the trilogy. I could see that happening... maybe. 

Aww, Gamestop can't sell their stock... GOOD!
It's still probably pure profit for them. I'm sure they paid Nintendo for the exclusive rights, but it's not like they would have paid $50 or $60/unit for these reprints.

It's actually great if they printed enough of these things. I hope they do it with more "rare" games in the future. Their is no reason at all for a plastic DVD or blu-ray to be "rare" or expensive.

Just called one of the many local GS and they have a steel case Metroid trilogy.  After the PUR discount and the $3 off coupon from the App download a couple weeks ago, I could pick this up for around $50. 

So I'm a newbie around here (despite my title heh)....I'm confused. Does 'gutted' simply mean the shrinkwrap is taken off?

Are the Xenoblade copies they are selling normal, and the reference to cases only applicable to MP Trilogy?

So I'm a newbie around here (despite my title heh)....I'm confused. Does 'gutted' simply mean the shrinkwrap is taken off?

Are the Xenoblade copies they are selling normal, and the reference to cases only applicable to MP Trilogy?
Gutted copies are the new copies of games that GS opens, takes the disc out, and then places the empty case and manual on the shelf for display. Then, all of their customers can molest the case and manual while deciding if they want them.

The Xenoblades they're selling are nearly identical to the original release, with the only difference being the case has "Nintendo" on the inside whereas the original had "Wii". But you can just replace the case if that really bothers you. The MP Trilogy case issue is due to the original coming in a steelbook case while the reprint came in a standard case.

BTW, shout out to the FFVI avatar!:D

Why does everyone assume the reprints were sealed during manufacture? Especially if gamestop planned on selling them as used from the get go...

Shame they're not the steelbooks--the website picture is misleading.  In any event, I grabbed the steelbook version for $60 shipped from a nice seller on NeoGAF.

Why does everyone assume the reprints were sealed during manufacture? Especially if gamestop planned on selling them as used from the get go...
It doesn't matter if it's sealed according to Gamestops business practice, they are taking advantage of the used market to benefit themselves. There are not very many titles that sell for more used than the new price, this brings back the ageless question, "if it's new why is it opened and why am I not paying the used price." If they would only not be such pricks about it and give you at least a 10% discount people probably wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

The games are not selling so it's really not benefiting them, you could also say they take advantage of the whole used market with their whole business model. They thought they could get 90$ per copy but they can't. Also this isn't the first time reprints have been exclusive to GS. If anything eventually this game will get cheaper than it already is and it will make the game more available to those who want to play it. Right now there are so many copies out there that GS will likely have stock for a long time. There are also new consoles coming out and a lot of people won't want to spend a good chunk of money on Xeno when they could be putting it towards next gen game consoles.

The only reason to be angry is if you have a copy that you're sitting on and the value has dropped.

Now with the steel book metroid prime trilogy that is a little more sketchy as they reprinted and now it doesn't have the steel book.

bread's done
Back