Xenoblade - $69.99 / Metroid Prime Trilogy - $59.99 @Gamestop

jholden3249

CAGiversary!
Gamestop has yet again lowered the prices on these two games- apparently not enough people jumped on the restock. In any case, this is the best prices I've seen on these games since Gamestop originally raised the prices a month before the restock. If you're a PUR member, you of course will receive 10% off, bringing the prices down to $63 for Xenoblade and $54 for Metroid Prime Trilogy. Not bad at all.

Here's the links:
Xenoblade

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Last edited by a moderator:
If they get an abundance of used games and jack up the price, it's shady, but fine. Getting brand new copies and gutting them to sell as used is a travesty. What's to stop them from doing this with every exclusive or limited release?

The games may never have been produced with shrinkwrap on them in the first place, although I don't think anyone knows anything about that for sure. Sadly the local used retailers here are far far more shady than GS even with them pulling this antic. At least GS doesn't take common games and jack the prices up to $40-60 a pop or tries to resell something like Common sega Saturn games that I can get on eBay for like $5-10 each for 90$. They (the local retailers) also sell games that are supposedly cleaned and tested that are definitely not cleaned and tested, and again for outrageous prices. With GS at least you know what you are getting when you shop there and they do have a return policy. Now if GS does this regularly or attempts to bring back old games and charges something like $90 each then I would definitely call them shady but as for now I would call this their trial run. Though I am not sure how many titles they would have the opportunity to prices like this.

In general GS does not go over MSRP on most titles they sell, and their used games are almost always cheaper than the new ones and their prices are generally in line with other major retailers. I can't say this about the local guys.

If anyone picked up a reprint copy of MPT without the steelbook, but want one, shoot me a PM. I have 4 of the steelbooks.

So, the Steelbook version of MPT is also marked down, right? And the B2G1 Free on Wii and DS games are at all stores?

Why does everyone assume the reprints were sealed during manufacture? Especially if gamestop planned on selling them as used from the get go...
The games may never have been produced with shrinkwrap on them in the first place, although I don't think anyone knows anything about that for sure. Sadly the local used retailers here are far far more shady than GS even with them pulling this antic. At least GS doesn't take common games and jack the prices up to $40-60 a pop or tries to resell something like Common sega Saturn games that I can get on eBay for like $5-10 each for 90$. They (the local retailers) also sell games that are supposedly cleaned and tested that are definitely not cleaned and tested, and again for outrageous prices. With GS at least you know what you are getting when you shop there and they do have a return policy. Now if GS does this regularly or attempts to bring back old games and charges something like $90 each then I would definitely call them shady but as for now I would call this their trial run. Though I am not sure how many titles they would have the opportunity to prices like this.

In general GS does not go over MSRP on most titles they sell, and their used games are almost always cheaper than the new ones and their prices are generally in line with other major retailers. I can't say this about the local guys.
It was reported that employees were seen unwrapping the new copies and stickering them as used when Xenoblades was re-printed and showed up at stores. Also, how else do you explain the unused Club Nintendo Code in each one and the fact that the new cases have the Wii Logo imprinted on the inside instead of the Nintendo logo like every other Wii game did prior?

If they get an abundance of used games and jack up the price, it's shady, but fine. Getting brand new copies and gutting them to sell as used is a travesty. What's to stop them from doing this with every exclusive or limited release?
Simple. People don't buy them, Gamestop gets stuck with a ton of stock and take a bath on what they thought they would profit on. Just like what is happening here.

Also, how else do you explain the unused Club Nintendo Code in each one and the fact that the new cases have the Wii Logo imprinted on the inside instead of the Nintendo logo like every other Wii game did prior?
Re-releasing a game without shrinkwrap doesn't mean they can't use the new cases or put new Club Nintendo code, but if people really did see them unwrapping it, then that's different.

I almost doubt that they would start selling sealed copies.... I mean, do they open the sealed copies on an on-demand basis?

Say you want to buy Xenoblade. The clerk goes in the back room, opens the seal on Xenoblade and rings it up. Or did they pre-open a bunch of copies? Or, were there ever sealed reprints?

If only an insider would shine some light.
I got ur inside scoop lol. This isn't the first time that they would gut brand new copies of games and sell them as used in fact it's actually a practice of theirs. Now this is the first time that it's been a high profiled, well sort of high profile game, that ive seen. We would have new games that were deemed "aged" or just werent selling, and we would gut every single copy and sell it as USED

Hello guys, first post I think.

I have been looking for Xenoblade for quite some time and I was excited to find out GS had them in stock.  Now, I used to work at GameStop about 8 years ago so I know 1 thing: when someone "trades" in a game and it's sealed, we HAVE to open it and sell it as used.  It's different than what may be going on here as having a restock and selling them higher than MSRP via the used price.  

I walked in to buy it. There was a display above the Wii U used games with:

Mario All-Stars, Xenoblade, and Metroid Prime Trilogy, all looking very brand new.  I decided to buy Xenoblade and I see that while there were 2 actual cases of them in display, the worker gave me a fresh one from the drawer that only had 1 sticker in the back and it was as brand new as can get, without the shrink wrap.

With all the 6+ stores having them around my area, it's tempting to wait for another price drop, but I really wanted the game and wanted a chance to get a mint condition one.  I have 7 days to return it so we'll see.

Yes and yes.
Just wanted to make sure, as the first GS I visited today had the Steelbook, Xenoblade, and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and when I asked if they still had the B2G1 Free on Wii games, the guy checked the computer and said no.

I found a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy at a Gamestop the other night only to find it wasn't even in a steelbook. I just want to make sure I'm not crazy in saying that it was only released in a steelbook right?
Yes, Metroid Prime Trilogy only released in a steelbook, except in Australia, where they received a white case version with a metallic cardboard slipcover. So the two are distinguishable. And from what I've heard, the reprinted Xenoblade has a slightly different case than the original (miniscule differences, but there nonetheless), and there may be more differences we're unaware of. So the collectability and value of the 1st run versions should not be diminished, while at the same time the 2nd run does give gamers who just wanted to play the games a chance to do so at reduced price (from full collector's value of original print run)

Here is what the re-released Metroid Prime Trilogy looks like:

Last edited:
Basically the only way to differentiate the original from the reprints is looking up the product code?

My local store still has a steelbook version of MPT...along with a couple of their reprints.  I hope it keeps dropping, as I'd love to pick up that steelbook a bit cheaper.

bread's done
Back