Xenoblade and The Last Story in the US?

I'm so glad I waited to mod my Wii, and import the EU version. I just had a small feeling that it would indeed be released in 2012, and that Nintendo was pulling our legs. About to go to Gamestop to place my preorder.:bouncy:

[quote name='skubish']fuck NoA. I got my EU version and I am not buying another because of their dishonesty. Great game though.[/QUOTE]

Although I can't blame you, this is unfortunately what's going to ruin our chances of seeing TLS and Pandora's Tower (or any other unique title). A lot of people who wanted this game imported it from Europe and NoA is probably going to see a lackluster sales because of it and basically tell themselves that they were right all along.

I plan to import copies of TLS and Pandora's Tower from Europe (I'm minimizing how much money I give to NoA) but I do hope enough people here buy Xenoblade so that NoA starts remembering its fans. I realize the hypocrisy here but NoE took the risks and did the legwork while NoA basically sat there and continually ignored their own fans.

PAXenoblade_Hat.png

Happy for Xenoblade, I just wish Nintendo would of said it's coming out in America in 2012 earlier like in the Summer. I would of waited for the American version then.

Actually if it's a different voice cast for the game, I might double dip just to get the American voice cast and then decide who I want to play. I feel that I have to support unique games like this.

[quote name='skubish']fuck NoA. I got my EU version and I am not buying another because of their dishonesty. Great game though.[/QUOTE]

What dishonesty? I don't think anyone actually said that it wouldn't come out in the US, just that there were no plans to at the time. You made the decision whether or not to wait to see if NOA would release it and you decided to import it.

Course, maybe your actions helped grease the wheels to get it over here. Some suspected that it could be based on European sales.

[quote name='Vinny']Although I can't blame you, this is unfortunately what's going to ruin our chances of seeing TLS and Pandora's Tower (or any other unique title).[/quote]

Not sure how you envision the chances being better without a release of Xenoblade. To be honest, I think this is the best chance to convince NOA to release those games here. I'll probably break with my usual practice and actually buy this on release just to make a statement.

Was waiting until I finished Skyward Sword until I messed around with my Wii's region lock and imported the game; glad to see now I don't need to. April 2012 is a long wait but I can manage.

When I first heard the announcement, I thought it was going to be a shame that this was going to get a US release and I still wasn't going to buy it.

But now that I know I can buy it directly from Nintendo, and not support Gamestop in any way, I'll happily preorder this puppy!

[quote name='TheLongshot']
Not sure how you envision the chances being better without a release of Xenoblade. To be honest, I think this is the best chance to convince NOA to release those games here. I'll probably break with my usual practice and actually buy this on release just to make a statement.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understood what I said. I was referring to skubish's anger towards NoA and saying there's a lot of people just like him. Because NoA said "no" with the huge support Operation Rainfall garnered, a lot of people decided to import the game. Those same probably are probably not going to buy the game again. Those are lost sales for NoA for when they do eventually release it.

Additionally, it's a GameStop exclusive... I'm not sure if that's a good idea.:whistle2:k

I gotta wonder if the only reason this is coming over is because someone at Gamestop approached NOA and said "Look, we'll shoulder quarter/half/whatever the cost of bringing this game over, if you make it so only we can sell it."

Shame I imported a copy just a couple weeks ago. I'll think about getting a second one though.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't think you understood what I said. I was referring to skubish's anger towards NoA and saying there's a lot of people just like him. Because NoA said "no" with the huge support Operation Rainfall garnered, a lot of people decided to import the game. Those same probably are probably not going to buy the game again. Those are lost sales for NoA for when they do eventually release it. [/quote]

Actually, some of those people might buy it again to put their money where their mouth is. I'll probably buy it on release to do the same.

Additionally, it's a GameStop exclusive... I'm not sure if that's a good idea.:whistle2:k

You will also be able to buy it directly from Nintendo, which for those people who were very vocal about getting it is probably a good thing.

I'm in for double dipping. I'll probably never play it though. Already logged over 160 hours on the PAL version.

Can't believe this is really happening. And on the day before my birthday too.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Not sure how you envision the chances being better without a release of Xenoblade. To be honest, I think this is the best chance to convince NOA to release those games here. I'll probably break with my usual practice and actually buy this on release just to make a statement.[/QUOTE]

I'm not wasting the money. I did that with RE4, Viewtiful Joe, P.N.03, No More Heroes, Baten Kaitos, MadWorld, The Conduit, The Conduit 2, Zack & Wiki, Okami and probably tons others (These are just a quick spout off from the top of my head). I thought I was supporting innovative titles and showing publishers that to take more risks is profitable. The result? Every one of these titles dropped to $5-10 within a handful of weeks and (in many cases) they went from Nintendo exclusive to multi-platform in the same time period.

I know most of these are not Nintendo published titles. They're just an example of a much larger problem: that is Nintendo doesn't take risks to begin with. Remember playing Disaster: Day of Crisis? How about Doshin the Giant? Sin & Punishment (N64)? Add Nintendo Puzzle Collection (this "puzzles" me like no other as it surely would have sold tons of copies), Stafy, NPC Pikmin 2 and again, I'm sure many others I'm not thinking of. Nintendo is simply arrogant. This is the same company that constantly says things to the effect of the gamer doesn't know what they want until Nintendo invents it. Then they suddenly realize they have always wanted that. That is a great way to explain their adventure-fulness in creating hardware. But unfortunately this idea also creeps into deciding what software certain gamers deserve to have. And they have a piss-poor record in this regard.

My lesson? I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars breaking from my rules of not buying above $15-20 titles in order to pre-order and support companies for taking a risk on us Nintendo fans. 100% of the time I am sucker punched for doing so.

I'm not saying don't support this game. It's an awesome title and worth $50. But don't be so naive to think that even though you paid to import the game or have played through it already, by wasting your money to "send a message" you'll single-handedly change the way the industry works.

The fact is that niche and exclusive titles sink on Nintendo consoles since the N64 days. And one title on an underpowered, decade old machine won't change that. I hope the WiiU being ahead of the competition for a short time can change that course. But that is why I was hoping that the Operation Rainfall titles would be revamped for that system. Imagine what releasing Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, TLS, a new and exclusive Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter all on the WiiU, all within the first 6-12 months of the console's life?

Nintendo has always been ahead of the curve on hardware ideas (not necessarily technology-wise in the past 8 years - just ideas). But they also have always been playing catch up in the marketing department. The 3DS is a recent example, as is this decision to release Xenoblade, a year+ old title, on the Wii on the eve of the WiiU launch.

They'll never learn, and your $50 won't change that fact...

Well, whatever operation rainfall did, it worked a little bit. Nintendo officially announces Xenoblade for a US release this April or so. Personally I think it's too late, as they should have released it while the Wii was in decline, and not on the way out. I have to agree with Morp a little bit, as they don't learn too much from their mistakes, and that our money doesn't change that.

That being said, if you haven't moved on from the Wii yet, I do encourage buying the game as low sales will cause Nintendo to falsely think that it was a bad decision to "change their minds".

If you honestly buy some games to support the developers, why on earth would you be upset when said games drop in price? Because you could have waited and supported them less?

One person buying one game doesn't send a message. Many people buying a game does.

[quote name='lutz']That being said, if you haven't moved on from the Wii yet, I do encourage buying the game as low sales will cause Nintendo to falsely think that it was a bad decision to "change their minds".[/QUOTE]

And I hope no one gets me wrong. I just want to re-iterate what I said in my previous post. If you haven't played/bought this already. Buy American! But I don't think anyone should feel the need to double dip. But it is your choice. I just feel you'll eventually feel like me - wasted 100's-1,000's of dollars before too long with nothing to show for it...

[quote name='MorPhiend']I'm not wasting the money. I did that with RE4, Viewtiful Joe, P.N.03, No More Heroes, Baten Kaitos, MadWorld, The Conduit, The Conduit 2, Zack & Wiki, Okami and probably tons others (These are just a quick spout off from the top of my head). I thought I was supporting innovative titles and showing publishers that to take more risks is profitable. The result? Every one of these titles dropped to $5-10 within a handful of weeks and (in many cases) they went from Nintendo exclusive to multi-platform in the same time period.[/quote]

I have also done my share of that, tho the titles I did do it with (Metroid: Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey) I usually had deals to go along with it to knock down the price a bit. Price drops happen with games. As CAGers, we know this and understand that buying early has a cost associated with it.

I know most of these are not Nintendo published titles. They're just an example of a much larger problem: that is Nintendo doesn't take risks to begin with. Remember playing Disaster: Day of Crisis? How about Doshin the Giant? Sin & Punishment (N64)? Add Nintendo Puzzle Collection (this "puzzles" me like no other as it surely would have sold tons of copies), Stafy, NPC Pikmin 2 and again, I'm sure many others I'm not thinking of. Nintendo is simply arrogant. This is the same company that constantly says things to the effect of the gamer doesn't know what they want until Nintendo invents it. Then they suddenly realize they have always wanted that. That is a great way to explain their adventure-fulness in creating hardware. But unfortunately this idea also creeps into deciding what software certain gamers deserve to have. And they have a piss-poor record in this regard.

My lesson? I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars breaking from my rules of not buying above $15-20 titles in order to pre-order and support companies for taking a risk on us Nintendo fans. 100% of the time I am sucker punched for doing so.

Well, to be fair, the developers who did take the risk didn't have enough of you buying the games. That's the reason why the prices did drop, or that they went out of print. So it kinda goes both ways.

I'm not saying don't support this game. It's an awesome title and worth $50. But don't be so naive to think that even though you paid to import the game or have played through it already, by wasting your money to "send a message" you'll single-handedly change the way the industry works.

Not nearly that naive, and I'm buying because I'm interested in the game, but at this point, the only thing that speaks is money. Maybe it won't be enough and the odds are long, but I'm doing it anyways.

The fact is that niche and exclusive titles sink on Nintendo consoles since the N64 days. And one title on an underpowered, decade old machine won't change that. I hope the WiiU being ahead of the competition for a short time can change that course. But that is why I was hoping that the Operation Rainfall titles would be revamped for that system. Imagine what releasing Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, TLS, a new and exclusive Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter all on the WiiU, all within the first 6-12 months of the console's life?

It will be interesting to see how many do get updated, but I'm not expecting many. What got the update for the Wii? Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess and Pikmin? I wouldn't expect much for WiiU, particularly since the early focus will be on games using the new controller.

Nintendo has always been ahead of the curve on hardware ideas (not necessarily technology-wise in the past 8 years - just ideas). But they also have always been playing catch up in the marketing department. The 3DS is a recent example, as is this decision to release Xenoblade, a year+ old title, on the Wii on the eve of the WiiU launch.

They'll never learn, and your $50 won't change that fact...

Until we actually have a release date for the WiiU, I won't think it is the eve of launch. I expect it will be more like a year from now.

[quote name='pippin']If you honestly buy some games to support the developers, why on earth would you be upset when said games drop in price? Because you could have waited and supported them less?

One person buying one game doesn't send a message. Many people buying a game does.[/QUOTE]

Don't make smarmy comments, hoping for a fight.

That may not be your intention, but see what can happen when someone glosses over your post and jumps to conclusions? If you actually read what I wrote and think about it without jumping to conclusions, I bought many niche titles on release day for top dollar (knowing they would obviously eventually drop in price) for at least a couple of generations for the sole purpose of helping to show publishers that risks were appreciated. The result was not more of the same type of titles, but instead within weeks of release the titles went from $50 exclusives to $5 multi-platform. Despite this, I still continued my pattern for about a decade. And the only result was me losing money, the titles going non-exclusive and in many cases, future promised exclusives being turned multi-platform or cancelled outright.

And if you want to get nit-picky, I never said a word about developers. Developers are going to create what they want to create. It's the publishers that do or don't bring those titles to fruition. As much as I love quirky, imaginative, etc., developers and do support them, the only thing I mentioned is whether or not wasting your dollars was effectual in swaying a publisher's mind on those niche games from developers.

And notice, I said wasting, not spending. Obviously a publisher will only continue to do that which is profitable. In the case of Xenoblade, I cautioned not to waste money if you have played or bought the game previously as it will likely not create future good titles for American gamers by doing so. But I also encouraged people who have not played nor previously bought to go ahead and buy the American version, because that would not be wasting money, but money well spent.

Likewise, I mentioned having in the past bought niche titles at full price, not because I was stupid and didn't realize the price of games go down over time, but because I wanted to use my money to help create future goodwill with companies who brought good games to the consoles I loved. The only result was wasted money.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, and I can understand your frustration, but it seems like you're abandoning the concept of buying niche titles to show support for them just because the ones you've bought in the past didn't end up selling very well. It's not like these games got cheap and went multi-plat because supporting them with your wallet doesn't work. It was because there just weren't enough people doing what you did.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Day 1 purchase for me. I might actually even pre-order it at GS (something I have done only one other time in the past... to get my Wii system on launch day).

I know alot of you bought the PAL import, but if you have the budget I suggest double-dipping to send a loud message to NOA that they dropped the ball on this one (and hopefully get all future releases on time).[/QUOTE]

I did send them a loud message when I imported the PAL version, they screwed up, dropped the ball, whatever other analogy you can put here.

I'm super HAPPY they are bringing it here, but as you see how widely they are SUPPORTING it in the US, either buy it from Nintendo OR Gamestop.

That tells me one thing, they are afraid it will bomb because those interested have ALREADY bought the game and it won't sell that well in the US because of that fact. And aren't taking a HUGE financial risk with it by releasing it only at select places to minimize loss, so much for having faith in your product.

For all of the arm chair quarterbacks (or procrastinators more appropriately) you had NO IDEA they were planning this, so leave the Reggie (smug) factor at the door. I will still import Pandora and Last Story from NOE who I believe DESERVE my support for not only Xenoblade but also Disaster and hopefully more JPN only releases (Earth Seeker) that I've been wanting cause I know there's no chance in Hell that NOA is going to be on the ball with releasing any of those any time soon.

Reggie, is standing in front of the mirror rehearsing two speeches right now, one is "see we gave you what you wanted and you didn't buy it" :nottalking:and the other is "see we gave you what you wanted now you owe us for our generosity now bow down and kiss my feet" :bow:

Either way he vindicates himself with uber-smugness in saying how right he was and how he KNEW what the TRUE FANS wanted...pompous ass. :^o

They didn't lie, they just want to vindicate themselves either way (see above) unless it sells 500k (which it won't) they won't even consider the other two games NOE is releasing.

I'm curious to know what the import ratio was for Xenoblade, anyone have numbers that they saw somewhere?

[quote name='TheLongshot']What dishonesty? I don't think anyone actually said that it wouldn't come out in the US, just that there were no plans to at the time. You made the decision whether or not to wait to see if NOA would release it and you decided to import it.

Course, maybe your actions helped grease the wheels to get it over here. Some suspected that it could be based on European sales.

Not sure how you envision the chances being better without a release of Xenoblade. To be honest, I think this is the best chance to convince NOA to release those games here. I'll probably break with my usual practice and actually buy this on release just to make a statement.[/QUOTE]

No importers = No US version

You know that, so why deny him his anger of that, I agree with him (other than the lying part) even though I think they are a bunch of two faced weasels for pulling this stunt.

[quote name='Vinny']Although I can't blame you, this is unfortunately what's going to ruin our chances of seeing TLS and Pandora's Tower (or any other unique title). A lot of people who wanted this game imported it from Europe and NoA is probably going to see a lackluster sales because of it and basically tell themselves that they were right all along.

I plan to import copies of TLS and Pandora's Tower from Europe (I'm minimizing how much money I give to NoA) but I do hope enough people here buy Xenoblade so that NoA starts remembering its fans. I realize the hypocrisy here but NoE took the risks and did the legwork while NoA basically sat there and continually ignored their own fans.[/QUOTE]

Exactly right, this is Reggie throwing a bone, he wants to make money, but he's more than willing to come out and say we gave you your game and you don't buy it, well see how we reward you for doing something nice again.

This is the CATCH-22 of the situation (see his speech above) he can't loose if anything Nintendo looses a few dollars, but either way Reggie comes out smelling like a rose.

I'm not denying any of those who wanted a US version their small (but very hollow) victory to get the game, however remember their are MANY strings attached to this release, and don't count on burying your head in the sand AGAIN and when you come up that TLS and Pandora will come to the US just like this one eventually did, not gonna happen.

And Longshot, I SHOULDN'T HAVE to buy it again, I held out hope just as long as anyone that NOA would take the risk and throw us a bone, did it happen, no, so why should I reward them with my money over a stupid decision they made because it's slightly a matter of convenience (if I didn't have a modded system) that didn't stop me from importing Disaster, which NOA deemed wasn't worthy for me to play, and I'll be darned if I'm going to reward them and vote with my dollars because I want to send a message.

Message was already sent, I support NOE for their supporting and generous nature to Nintendo fans, NOA can go rot for all I care. :fridge:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm in for double dipping. I'll probably never play it though. Already logged over 160 hours on the PAL version.

Can't believe this is really happening. And on the day before my birthday too.[/QUOTE]

If there's one person, I'm shocked to hear say this, it's you, call me surprised at your response...

[quote name='uncle5555']I'm super HAPPY they are bringing it here, but as you see how widely they are SUPPORTING it in the US, either buy it from Nintendo themselves and Gamestop.

That tells me one thing, they are afraid it will bomb because those interested have ALREADY bought the game and it won't sell that well in the US because of that fact. And aren't taking a HUGE financial risk with it by releasing it only at select places to minimize loss, so much for having faith in your product. [/QUOTE]

Actually, the fact that it wasn't an automatic US release sends the message that they didn't think it would sell well, and considering how well the gamer games have done on the Wii, do you really blame them?

I guess you can argue that not everything needs to be a huge hit, and Nintendo should get out of that mentality or license those titles to smaller houses like XSeed or Atlus. I think it is a valid argument, even if Nintendo never does that.

No importers = No US version

You know that, so why deny him his anger of that, I agree with him (other than the lying part) even though I think they are a bunch of two faced weasels for pulling this stunt.
Why not just be happy a good game is getting a release in the US? I don't think any of us are pretending that Xenoblade was going to be a big hit in the US, so all we were asking for was them to release the darn game. So, they are.

And Longshot, I SHOULDN'T HAVE to buy it again
Nor did I said you should. I was just saying that those who imported might want to. Obviously you've given up on this, no matter that you think that you and others importing the title got it over here. (Not that we really know all the reasons why it is happening now.)

[quote name='TheLongshot']Actually, the fact that it wasn't an automatic US release sends the message that they didn't think it would sell well, and considering how well the gamer games have done on the Wii, do you really blame them?

I guess you can argue that not everything needs to be a huge hit, and Nintendo should get out of that mentality or license those titles to smaller houses like XSeed or Atlus. I think it is a valid argument, even if Nintendo never does that.

Why not just be happy a good game is getting a release in the US? I don't think any of us are pretending that Xenoblade was going to be a big hit in the US, so all we were asking for was them to release the darn game. So, they are.

Nor did I said you should. I was just saying that those who imported might want to. Obviously you've given up on this, no matter that you think that you and others importing the title got it over here. (Not that we really know all the reasons why it is happening now.)[/QUOTE]

But the thing is WE DO KNOW WHY they are releasing it in the US, because of the huge numbers the Euro version sold, that's no secret.

And I'm sorry if I'm being Johnny Buzzkill, but NOA doesn't deserve my pity or support, they brag about the bags of cash made from the Wii then cry that the 3DS is bombing, and no one's buying Wii software and they are loosing money, announce a system no one wants yet, and have a confused look on their face like why is no one interested. I seriously can't believe they are that stupid. (but they are proving to me the opposite in the last decade)

If I could believe it was an altruistic decision on their part and Operation Rainfall had an effect (it didn't despite what deluded people want to believe) or that Nintendo changed their minds on any other purpose other than what I've pointed out, let's get real here, they did it to see if they can make a quick buck.

If you want a good laugh go read some of the posts over at Gamespot, under the news post, you'd think Reggie is due for Sainthood with this announcement... O:)

You know based on this decision this MIGHT (read: very likely) hurt NOE's releases of Last Story, Pandora or anything else they might have had lined up with people thinking I'll wait 6 months, it'll release in the US and I won't have to import it, hurting the overall sales of those games for NOE. NOA to the rescue to fuck things up yet again. It seems to get better all the time. Pure awesomeness. #-o

I always get a laugh out of the people who go off on these long tirades to bash every decision Nintendo makes. Everyone who does it seems to think they know all there is to know about the industry and what should and shouldn't be done. Maybe if any of you ran a company that was more successful than Nintendo, people would take your opinions into consideration.

I'll be gladly picking up the NA version even though I still haven't touched my EU copy. Guess I can put off hacking my Wii for another 6 months, too.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't think you understood what I said. I was referring to skubish's anger towards NoA and saying there's a lot of people just like him. Because NoA said "no" with the huge support Operation Rainfall garnered, a lot of people decided to import the game.[/QUOTE]
They didn't say "no," they said "no plans." Several people pointed out the difference, but some people don't listen...

[quote name='uncle5555']But the thing is WE DO KNOW WHY they are releasing it in the US, because of the huge numbers the Euro version sold, that's no secret. [/quote]

No, that is an assumption. I gave other potential answers above.

If I could believe it was an altruistic decision on their part and Operation Rainfall had an effect (it didn't despite what deluded people want to believe) or that Nintendo changed their minds on any other purpose other than what I've pointed out, let's get real here, they did it to see if they can make a quick buck.

Of course it wasn't altruistic. Nintendo is a business. They do what they do because they make money on it. Do you really think none of us know that?

If you want a good laugh go read some of the posts over at Gamespot, under the news post, you'd think Reggie is due for Sainthood with this announcement... O:)

Sainthood is extreme, but expressing thanks to them is appropriate. You are allowed to be thankful for them doing this and still be annoyed at the things that they still get wrong.

You know based on this decision this MIGHT (read: very likely) hurt NOE's releases of Last Story, Pandora or anything else they might have had lined up with people thinking I'll wait 6 months, it'll release in the US and I won't have to import it, hurting the overall sales of those games for NOE. NOA to the rescue to fuck things up yet again. It seems to get better all the time. Pure awesomeness. #-o

People make decisions based on the information they have. People also import stuff all the time that may or may not be localized for us. People can wait if they want and they can import if they want.

You can continue to feel burned, or maybe, if you truly believe your actions affected Nintendo's decision, feel some pride in effecting some change in Nintendo's plans. Something good did happen here for US fans. It might have happened as soon as everyone wanted, and it might not lead to more, but it is a success nonetheless.

If you feel you want to support it further and show them they can sell the game in the US, you could participate, but it is fine if you don't want to. Personally, if I paid a premium to import the game, I probably wouldn't buy it again either. I have a family and money is limited. But, don't sit there and act like you were wronged in some way. You made a decision based on the information available and you live with it.

Looks like Nintendo is trying to find new ways to fail. Game is 2 years too late and anyone who gave a shit about this imported or played it through other means 8 months ago. Its almost as if they're deliberately trying to set themselves up for failure when this game doesnt sell well, then they'll have reason to say herp derp "we told you so this game wouldn't sell" when they put it in unrealistic circumstances to begin with :roll:.

I'm surprised by the timing of the announcement, but whatever. I don't see much on the docket for Wii's 2012 schedule, so I can't really complain. I'll be buying it.

I'm going to guess that Gamestop fronted some cash here to get Xenoblade Chronicles released. And in turn, Gamestop will probably have some bonus along with their copies of the game.

I'm definitely excited for it. I've heard many great things.

I'm amazed that on a site called Cheap Ass Gamer there are so many people willing to buy the same game twice to make a point. I really doubt 100 extra sales or 1,000 extra sales aren't going to make any difference to Nintendo.

Gamestop only is lame but obviously they gave Nintendo enough money to make it worthwhile to let them release it as an exclusive. But it's going to hurt sales and being a Gamestop exclusive means there will be no deals on it. I guess at least it is being released but it seems set up for failure.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going to guess that Gamestop fronted some cash here to get Xenoblade Chronicles released. And in turn, Gamestop will probably have some bonus along with their copies of the game.

I'm definitely excited for it. I've heard many great things.[/QUOTE]

I'm also wondering if GS is financially supporting this release somehow. If they are, I'd rather buy it from them than directly from Nintendo.

Does GS usually gut pre-orders?

[quote name='pete5883']

They didn't say "no," they said "no plans." Several people pointed out the difference, but some people don't listen...[/QUOTE]

How is it different? The only difference between "no plans" versus "no" is the wording, but they both mean "no". They could have said, "no plans at the moment but maybe in the future" or "we are considering it but are currently focused on Zelda/Mario/etc.".. that's saying something different than "no plans".

[quote name='Vinny']How is it different? The only difference between "no plans" versus "no" is the wording, but they both mean "no". They could have said, "no plans at the moment but maybe in the future" or "we are considering it but are currently focused on Zelda/Mario/etc.".. that's saying something different than "no plans".[/QUOTE]
I'm sure at one point they said something like "We have no plans at this time, but we'll be keeping our eye on European sales"

[quote name='rlse9']I'm amazed that on a site called Cheap Ass Gamer there are so many people willing to buy the same game twice to make a point. I really doubt 100 extra sales or 1,000 extra sales aren't going to make any difference to Nintendo.
[/QUOTE]

I've spent over 160 hours on the game. Even buying it twice at $50 a pop means I still spent less than $1 per hour on the game.

[quote name='Vinny']How is it different? The only difference between "no plans" versus "no" is the wording, but they both mean "no". They could have said, "no plans at the moment but maybe in the future" or "we are considering it but are currently focused on Zelda/Mario/etc.".. that's saying something different than "no plans".[/QUOTE]

"No plans at this time" (which was what the statement said) implies "No, but maybe in the future". Many chose to take it as a flat no, but what it told me that at the time of the statement they had no plans, but that maybe the passion fans showed would make them reconsider. Obviously, they did. Why? We don't know exactly.

[quote name='rlse9']I'm amazed that on a site called Cheap Ass Gamer there are so many people willing to buy the same game twice to make a point. I really doubt 100 extra sales or 1,000 extra sales aren't going to make any difference to Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Why vote? It's not like your vote matters, right?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm sure at one point they said something like "We have no plans at this time, but we'll be keeping our eye on European sales"[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLongshot']"No plans at this time" (which was what the statement said) implies "No, but maybe in the future". Many chose to take it as a flat no, but what it told me that at the time of the statement they had no plans, but that maybe the passion fans showed would make them reconsider. Obviously, they did. Why? We don't know exactly.[/QUOTE]

Saying "no plans at this time", when demand was the highest, is as close to no as you can get without actually saying no. But I'll back off on the subject since we could both be splitting hairs at this point on what it means. I'm fairly sure the "European sales part" was added later, once NoE reissue the stock shortages statement...:whistle2:k

I'm guessing the part that changed was that Nintendo came to the realization that the Wii has nothing coming out in 2012 and the Wii U (from what we've seen so far) is full of ports, something Nintendo's been criticized heavily for on the 3DS. I'm guessing they wanted a partner in this and found one in GameStop (who has released smaller exclusive titles in the past).

With all of that said... I get the feeling that regardless of how I feel now, I'll probably end up double dipping.:p The game deserves.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Why vote? It's not like your vote matters, right?[/QUOTE]
Well.... it doesn't. You're deluded if you think otherwise but that's a debate for another time.

[quote name='Rumors']Well.... it doesn't. You're deluded if you think otherwise but that's a debate for another time.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I agree, but this isn't the place to start a discussion about how sickening the political system is.

I just think it's a waste to buy the game twice, especially when we're talking about the money going to a massive corporation where the few extra sales of people buying twice are like a raindrop in the ocean. Spend the money on a game from an indy company where the extra sales might make an actual difference or give the money to charity or do something else useful instead of just handing it over to Nintendo.

No, "no plans" is PR for "either no, or yes but we're not ready to announce yet." I remember a Tales game or two that Namco had no plans to release, until they announced their release a month or two later. As for Nintendo's history:

251441_132923766795690_100002342016803_225381_6277019_n.jpg

I'm thrilled that Xenoblade is coming! I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is probably going to be a limited print though.

Just heard about Xenoblade! I'm definitely considering preordering at Gamestop, especially if there is some sort of bonus incentive.

I'd get Last Story and Pandora's Tower if they were available in the North America.

Also, still hoping to be released in North America:
Last Window: Secret of Cape West on the Nintendo DS
Another Code R on the Nintendo Wii

Has there been an official word on whether or not they'll be using the Euro localization and voice acting, or will they be redoing it? I haven't sank a ton of time into the import but I'm very fond of and impressed with the quality of the voice acting as it is, so I hope they keep it. I think the British accents add some charm!

[quote name='johnnypark']Has there been an official word on whether or not they'll be using the Euro localization and voice acting, or will they be redoing it? I haven't sank a ton of time into the import but I'm very fond of and impressed with the quality of the voice acting as it is, so I hope they keep it. I think the British accents add some charm![/QUOTE]

Watching the trailer they released it sounds like they are keeping the voices at least.

[quote name='pete5883']No, "no plans" is PR for "either no, or yes but we're not ready to announce yet." I remember a Tales game or two that Namco had no plans to release, until they announced their release a month or two later. As for Nintendo's history:

251441_132923766795690_100002342016803_225381_6277019_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'll take your word for it. NoA has been full of PR bullshit for the past few years.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Watching the trailer they released it sounds like they are keeping the voices at least.[/QUOTE]

I think they will. Considering how limited the release is, I doubt NoA will redo the voice work...

[quote name='Vinny']I'll take your word for it. NoA has been full of PR bullshit for the past few years.[/QUOTE]
It's not just an NoA thing, it's just how PR works.

[quote name='Sarang01']So is this going to have an option for Japanese voices or what? "Last Story" I mean.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how much room they have on the disc as any other localization company can tell you...if they can fit both then yes, otherwise no.

For those that haven't heard yet...

The Last Story UK Releases on Feb 24 in Europe

And Here too...

I won't comment on a possible US release since people tend to get miffed when I go anti-NOA. (when it comes to their stupid localization policies)

It might or might not be localized for the US market, due to the faith NOA has shown in Xenoblade (which is head and shoulders a better game than TLS from all accounts) I wouldn't expect it based on sales in Europe not being as strong because the game will be considered not as good. I'm importing it because I want another good Wii game and also because I want Earth Seeker localized and if NOE will do that for me, than NOA be damned.

Lastly, I tried to contact Stephen Totilo over at Kotaku about an interview he did with Reggie a few years back about NOA not localizing certain titles.

The original video is dead (as far as I can tell) and I asked him where I could see it (or at least read a transcript), and he didn't respond to any of my emails in a week, so I'm not bothering anymore. But for those who might be able to get the original link (to show the video and get it to work) try at the link below.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007...intendo-favor-japanese-gamers-and-developers/

bread's done
Back