Xenoblade Chronicles

[quote name='Vinny']Given that they're finally giving Earthbound another chance, I'd say they might give Xenoblade a reprint or re-release at some point, probably around Xenoblade 2.

But since the Wii U's lackluster performance thus far, which will probably get worse when the X1 and PS4 come out, they might become even more risk adverse.[/QUOTE]

that depends on the price of X1 and ps4 and well at least on gaming boards the X1 is receiving perhaps the biggest backlash I have ever seen on gaming boards about anything. though i do realize X1 has a heavy appeal to the all mighty casual market so it will be interesting to see.

the Wii U will sell the instant smash bros comes out or a sweet glorious 1080 Zelda shows up. i am hoping the lackluster sales will provoke a Zelda U sooner than later.

i do disagree about xenoblade or X being a risk. Xenoblade could of mopped the floor with FF or any other big named RPG had it ya know been advertised and printed en mass. whats not to love? a 100 hour open world beautiful RPG with an epic story. xenoblade just proves nintendo sucks at advertising had this been microsoft or sony Xenoblade would of sold millions.

Regardless of the price or feelings against the new systems, the X1 and PS4 will sell better than the Wii U did at launch. The Wii U isn't selling because gamers don't see it as next gen and casual people don't see anything new about it (or are confused about the system/screen).

And of course gamers won't see Xenoblade as a risk because we want good games. Nintendo wants games that will sell... that's why we saw so many casual games and Mario plastered everywhere. But to them, if the casual market didn't want it, they didn't care. If it wasn't for GS, it probably wouldn't have been released here. You can advertise the hell out of something and it can still fail to meet sales expectations (see: basically anything from Square Enix over the last year).

It all depends on price. If all this tech makes them come in at $500 (even at a subsidized loss for MS and Sony) then they probably won't sell tons. I'd still think they would sell more than the Wii U did initially. However, I think the Wii U will see a surge of sales this Fall once the games come out and will hold its own - especially if the price gap is pretty big between them and Sony/MS. And if Nintendo doesn't push BC and no used game restrictions big-time in their marketing this Fall, then they are idiots. At the very least, they can market the Wii U as an upgrade for the Wii system since it will play all those same games. Space (both physically and aesthetically) is a premium for a lot of people so being able to replace (and get rid of) the old system without losing anything is a plus. MS and Sony can't make that claim. I know Nintendo sent out messages to old Wii systems about this, but they need to do more than that.

And that reminds me, I need to sell my old Gamecube-compatible Wii soon before the value of that drops even more... (And yeah, I realize that a lot of people will lose GC-playing capability if they ditch their Wii system, but I figure we are far enough from that system that it won't be a huge deal for most people. We still have our original GC connected to the TV so ditching the Wii is no problem for us).

[quote name='Vinny']Regardless of the price or feelings against the new systems, the X1 and PS4 will sell better than the Wii U did at launch. The Wii U isn't selling because gamers don't see it as next gen and casual people don't see anything new about it (or are confused about the system/screen).

And of course gamers won't see Xenoblade as a risk because we want good games. Nintendo wants games that will sell... that's why we saw so many casual games and Mario plastered everywhere. But to them, if the casual market didn't want it, they didn't care. If it wasn't for GS, it probably wouldn't have been released here. You can advertise the hell out of something and it can still fail to meet sales expectations (see: basically anything from Square Enix over the last year).[/QUOTE]

the thing of it is though is that xenoblade is mostly loved and received very little hate overall. xenoblade honestly could have sold systems to the right crowd if there was just any advertising at all by nintendo. xenoblade is easily one of the best if not the best rpg of that gen. its really not hard to advertise that kind of a game and get it to sell systems. nintendo just flat out dropped the ball.

square enixs failures are for entirely different reasons. backlash against FF13 so they instead make a sequel and now a trilogy. and FF-14 of course i heard was a bit of a failure. remaking FF-10 and 10-2 versus FF-7 that everyone has begged for.

i will say the Wii U is looking mighty fine at this point once the games roll around. all it needs a system seller. it has no used game BS, its BC, your stuff transfers over, it has some of the social media stuff, can plug in any sized HDD, and its noticably cheaper. there are other things. it at the very least blows the X1 away. the ps4 maybe less so but i think the Wii U is easily the best of the new three systems because it just has less BS attached to it.

[quote name='io']It all depends on price. If all this tech makes them come in at $500 (even at a subsidized loss for MS and Sony) then they probably won't sell tons. I'd still think they would sell more than the Wii U did initially. However, I think the Wii U will see a surge of sales this Fall once the games come out and will hold its own - especially if the price gap is pretty big between them and Sony/MS. And if Nintendo doesn't push BC and no used game restrictions big-time in their marketing this Fall, then they are idiots. At the very least, they can market the Wii U as an upgrade for the Wii system since it will play all those same games. Space (both physically and aesthetically) is a premium for a lot of people so being able to replace (and get rid of) the old system without losing anything is a plus. MS and Sony can't make that claim. I know Nintendo sent out messages to old Wii systems about this, but they need to do more than that.

And that reminds me, I need to sell my old Gamecube-compatible Wii soon before the value of that drops even more... (And yeah, I realize that a lot of people will lose GC-playing capability if they ditch their Wii system, but I figure we are far enough from that system that it won't be a huge deal for most people. We still have our original GC connected to the TV so ditching the Wii is no problem for us).[/QUOTE]

i agree that will sell this system which is kind of sad that that is now a system seller point. if this system can just get a few killer Apps and smooth out the online and have a good turtle beach headset come out for it this system will blow the other two away. honestly i didnt think nintendo going the less powerful route again with a new gimmick again could do this but they are sadly despite the lackluster start of the system they are now a few moves away from checkmate. i know for me after these two system reveals i am honestly probably not going to them at launch if at all. the Wii U and 360 will be where i be spending my time. i went from regretting my Wii U purchase to now not regretting all in a month.

well played nintendo....well played.

[quote name='io']And that reminds me, I need to sell my old Gamecube-compatible Wii soon before the value of that drops even more... (And yeah, I realize that a lot of people will lose GC-playing capability if they ditch their Wii system, but I figure we are far enough from that system that it won't be a huge deal for most people. We still have our original GC connected to the TV so ditching the Wii is no problem for us).[/QUOTE]

Quick note on that, a Wii is probably the easiest way to play GC games in 480p (for games that support it). A quick search shows there's finally 3rd party cables that might let you do 480p with a GC (news to me). Prior to that, the GC component cables were getting incredibly expensive. Plus, your GC may or may not even support component cables - I thought Nintendo removed that port from later GC revisions, but I'm too lazy to verify.

[quote name='coolguythinking']As much of a crime as charging $300 for a game I suppose.[/QUOTE]

thats not really stealing though. its 300 dollars cause people are willing to pay 300 dollars for it

[quote name='kayne2000']thats not really stealing though. its 300 dollars cause people are willing to pay 300 dollars for it[/QUOTE]
Really? Who are these suckers uhh I mean "people" and where can I get a hold of them? I'm thinking of starting a lemonade stand and charging $10 a cup.

[quote name='coolguythinking']Really? Who are these suckers uhh I mean "people" and where can I get a hold of them? I'm thinking of starting a lemonade stand and charging $10 a cup.[/QUOTE]

Ebay.

I traded my copy in last year, I had no clue it was that rare or I probably would've sold it on ebay. Oh well...

[quote name='ActionKazimer']I miss when this thread was about Xenoblade Chronicles.[/QUOTE]

lol... We could start talking about operation rainfall and figure out who donated and who overpaid for the game because they were waiting for a "price drop."

[quote name='skiizim']lol... We could start talking about operation rainfall and figure out who donated and who overpaid for the game because they were waiting for a "price drop."[/QUOTE]

I don't get why anybody would wait for a price drop on a first party Nintendo game ever. It's extremely uncommon.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I don't get why anybody would wait for a price drop on a first party Nintendo game ever. It's extremely uncommon.[/QUOTE]

I doubt most people knew about this game until it became rare and now stands to reach cult status.

And most Nintendo titles that don't drop in price are the Mario, Zelda, Mario sports, Pokemons, etc. series. The lesser known series (DK, Kirby, Metroid) and even some of the very popular, but non-marquee stuff (Professor Layton) go on sale/get price drops every now and then.

I agree though, this thread's way derailed... I think the pages not talking about the game exceeds the pages talking about game.

I found a recently made petition asking Nintendo for a Xenoblade reprint. I'm afraid I can't post links so if you're interested google "operation monado". Before you pass it off as a waste of time consider that Nintendo listens to these kinds of things which is how operation rainfall succeeded in the first place. It's very much a possibility if it gets the right amount of signatures.

[quote name='coolguythinking']I found a recently made petition asking Nintendo for a Xenoblade reprint. I'm afraid I can't post links so if you're interested google "operation monado". Before you pass it off as a waste of time consider that Nintendo listens to these kinds of things which is how operation rainfall succeeded in the first place. It's very much a possibility if it gets the right amount of signatures.[/QUOTE]

Operation rainfall succeeded in nothing other than lying to get money on false promises of collector cases. That being said...

Go easy on him fellas, he's new.

While you guys are at it, get a reprint of Radiant Dawn and Prime Trilogy. I also want Luigi's Mansion, FFV and Path of Radiance on the VC

[quote name='moothemagiccow']While you guys are at it, get a reprint of Radiant Dawn and Prime Trilogy. I also want Luigi's Mansion, FFV and Path of Radiance on the VC[/QUOTE]
I love how GS has been steadily bumping up the used price on Radiant Dawn, it went from $39.99 to $54.99 in a matter of three months.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']While you guys are at it, get a reprint of Radiant Dawn and Prime Trilogy. I also want Luigi's Mansion, FFV and Path of Radiance on the VC[/QUOTE]
Forget Metroid Prime Trilogy; it's a collector's item and there's no chance of it coming back. Xenoblade on the other hand is just a game and might just get a reprint or some other form of re-release in the future. It's not certain, but possible.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']it's not a game? Man you guys are capable of some mental gymnastics[/QUOTE]
Not what I meant. It's a repackaging of three games on one disc in a collector's tin. Xenoblade is just a game with nothing else special about it.

[quote name='coolguythinking']Not what I meant. It's a repackaging of three games on one disc in a collector's tin. Xenoblade is just a game with nothing else special about it.[/QUOTE]

xenoblade JUST A GAME? easily JRPG of the gen. and top 5 RPGs of this Gen if not the top one.

[quote name='kayne2000']xenoblade JUST A GAME? easily JRPG of the gen. and top 5 RPGs of this Gen if not the top one.[/QUOTE]

Which is why it should get reprinted. Though I am done with it so what I really want is for the new Wii U game to be of the same caliber.

coolguythinking said:
Not what I meant. It's a repackaging of three games on one disc in a collector's tin. Xenoblade is just a game with nothing else special about it.
xenoblade JUST A GAME? easily JRPG of the gen. and top 5 RPGs of this Gen if not the top one.
I'm just going to say it's my favorite game ever. The only issues I had were with completely optional sidequests (collectapedia, NPCs whose name I couldn't remember w/o xenoblade wiki) and the later boss, Melia's enemy, I forget her name. That one actually required grinding. She was harder than the final boss.

The only reason I'm not playing it again is because it ate my life and I wanted nothing but to play Xenoblade.

Still slowly plodding along (though thoroughly enjoying) the game, finally reached
Sword Valley on the Mechonis.  I have to say, I'm enjoying this part more than anything thus far, since I feel like I'm actually fighting the real enemy than some random local creatures along the way (sans boss fights).  I've enjoyed exploring the field and taking out the UM's at the different stations, even if I had to switch to inferior Anti-Mechon weapons (I've given Shulk a break to build up different party affinities for some time).

So what, 50-60% of the way through now?

After seeing X announced for the WiiU, it made me want to get Xenoblade, however, I think it was because of E3 that the price spiked to absurd levels.  I'm hoping that my local Walmart/Bestbuy/Gamestops have a copy. 

I'm proud to say even though it took me forever (I bought it at launch) I finally finished Xenoblade yesterday.
What was your final game time? I'm just about to get the seventh party member (unfortunately my curiosity already ruined that surprise) in my game, and I think the clock is around 55ish hours.

Not that I want it to end anytime soon, just plenty of other games that are taking a backseat in the mean time.

I'm proud to say even though it took me forever (I bought it at launch) I finally finished Xenoblade yesterday.
What was your final game time? I'm just about to get the seventh party member (unfortunately my curiosity already ruined that surprise) in my game, and I think the clock is around 55ish hours.

Not that I want it to end anytime soon, just plenty of other games that are taking a backseat in the mean time.
I finished around 85 hours. I skipped most of the side quests and spent a good chunk of time at the end grinding another six levels up to beat the final boss (I wasn't under leveled I just kinda suck at the game and had to be really over leveled to finally beat the boss). That 85 hours doesn't include a couple extra hours I spent trying to beat the final boss and then continually failing and re loading my save to go grind. This is a long ass game. And freaking difficult towards the end. But it was fun!

This is a long ass game. And freaking difficult towards the end. But it was fun!

It was only difficult because you skipped so many side quests. If you were the type to do every side quest you'd probably think the game was too easy since there's so many that it overlevels your party.

This is a long ass game. And freaking difficult towards the end. But it was fun!

It was only difficult because you skipped so many side quests. If you were the type to do every side quest you'd probably think the game was too easy since there's so many that it overlevels your party.
It took me being level 83 with a bunch of kick ass gems to finally beat the final boss, I don't think that is under leveled for this game. Party of Melia (Me), Sharla, and Riki.

I think I've finally found the one (minor) thing that I don't really like about Xenoblade, and its how they handle the Skill Points.  Don't get me wrong, I love the trees and the Skill linking feature, and the affinity coins earned by hunting down the UMs, I just don't like how you can waste SP points if you already have a tree maxed and forget to switch it.  Thankfully I'm pretty good about monitoring it, so I haven't lost much.  I wish they would just accumulate them like AP points, and let you choose where to place them later.

Now I'm at a crossroads where a majority of my characters are close to capping out their three main skill trees, and I have to choose to either grind more quests to unlock their fourth tree, or just go along with it and forget about the wasted skills and SP points.  I really want to get back to the story, but the completionist in me is telling me otherwise.  So far I've only unlocked Melia's and Shulk's, and Melia's was by accident (before I knew about the additional skill trees).

Oh, and Gamestop somewhat recently raised the used price up to $79.99, is that the highest non-bundled, non-SE used game price they've ever listed?

Yeah the maxed out tree sucked, especially having so many characters to manage.

There's so much stuff to complete, I said I'd do it later, beat the game and forgot about it, as usual. I never did much with the swordsman. Forgot his name. Fei Wong lookalike. Then there are the over lvl 100 monsters, never bothered with them. I think it was after the Giant's quest was so anticlimactic I just said screw it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get data from my Wii if it's malfunctioning? Like the start up screen comes up and then the system says "Press A To Start" on that warning screen before it even goes to the game/app select screen. When I press A it just freezes as the screen starts to fade to the game/app select screen. Not sure how to fix this or if anyone else has had the same problem? If it can't be fixed is there anyway to get my data off the Wii? It's not hacked or modded or anything, but I would prefer to not lose all of my data for SSBB, Xenoblade, and the two Virtual Shop games I purchased. It's a launch Wii, so it's pretty old. Hoping to salvage it though if at all possible. Would appreciate anyone who could DM me or post some advice here. I know this isn't completely on topic, so I will gladly move it to its own thread in this Wii section or elsewhere if someone can suggest someone more appropriate. Thanks!

May just end up buying a GC and holding out for a WiiU if I can't get this fixed or anything.

I got tired of reading all the GS hate posts... I agree 100%. One thing people always forget when making the care comparison, the car has an odometer so that I know exactly how much the "new" car was used before I buy it. There's no odometer on a GS game disk. :bomb:

Does anyone know if there's a way to get data from my Wii if it's malfunctioning? Like the start up screen comes up and then the system says "Press A To Start" on that warning screen before it even goes to the game/app select screen. When I press A it just freezes as the screen starts to fade to the game/app select screen. Not sure how to fix this or if anyone else has had the same problem? If it can't be fixed is there anyway to get my data off the Wii? It's not hacked or modded or anything, but I would prefer to not lose all of my data for SSBB, Xenoblade, and the two Virtual Shop games I purchased. It's a launch Wii, so it's pretty old. Hoping to salvage it though if at all possible. Would appreciate anyone who could DM me or post some advice here. I know this isn't completely on topic, so I will gladly move it to its own thread in this Wii section or elsewhere if someone can suggest someone more appropriate. Thanks!

May just end up buying a GC and holding out for a WiiU if I can't get this fixed or anything.
Call Nintendo

bread's done
Back