Xenoblade Chronicles

[quote name='Woocls']That shit really pisses me off... What other business can you take a used product repackage it and call it new? Can a restaurant brush off the food I left on my plate and resell it? Can a car dealer say NEW with only 140,000 miles!? There's no way what they're doing should be legal.[/QUOTE]Exactly...

Had to make an exception though once I found out how rare it was to find a mint complete copy for a good price :cry:

[quote name='Deader2818']Did you go to the stores in Philly?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I'm up in CT, but I DID call the ones in philly showing quarantine in stock if there were any, quick look shows 2 each of part 2 and 3 in philly, whether they actually have it? Another story all together, more then half of stores I called showing stock of any game didn't have it, or it was Disc Only in a sleeve and 'vanished' as they get stolen often, or my favorite after checking with a manager "it's on hold". Luckily I managed to get CIB part 4 and G.U 1-3 for myself. Like I said in the B1G1 50%off thread I went overboard, called every store in PA CT NY NJ FLA CA TX IL CO & WA with quarantine in stock (as most stores forget to actually transfer), and many with two+ parts of G.U, just sold a spare quarantine and a set of G.U//'s to another cag for $140 shipped (I dare you to check ebay and call that a bad deal), I got what I wanted and would rather hook up a CAG then sell spare's that come in on ebay.

[quote name='Woocls'] Can a car dealer say NEW with only 140,000 miles!? There's no way what they're doing should be legal.[/QUOTE]

Bad example, it is more like buying a new car that someone test drive.

[quote name='62t']Bad example, it is more like buying a new car that someone test drive.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's more like buying a car from a dealership when a storm knocked over a light pole onto the car when it was on the lot and crushed the hood. You say "ughh... I asked for a brand new car" and they say "It is new, it's never been driven."

Gamestop's rebuttal to gutted copies not being new is that they are new because they have never been played. You can drop the disc and scratch it up, handle it with greasy fingers, sneeze on it, spill a drink on it, but as long as it has not been entered into a game system, it qualifies as 'new' to their logic. One that is totally flawed. To be honest, all the handling they do with the discs when they move them from sleeve to sleeve and drawer to drawer probably does more damage to it than 100 hours of gameplay in a system would.

If you see how employees handle the discs, they'll slam them face down on a hard surface and get greasy fingerprints all over it.

Well, this sucks.

Gamefly decides to make Xenoblade unavailable for purchase the day after they sent it out to me.

[quote name='Hemi']I'd certainly never buy 'new' CONDOMS that were test driven.[/QUOTE]

Where do you think the term "sloppy seconds" came from?

This thread is a cosmic ballet, with every so often someone popping in to say "Holy shit! The used price is now $59.99!" or "My local store in east bumblefuck has a copy, this game ain't hard to find."

[quote name='SEGAMew']I was waiting it to drop to under $20 like I did for Heracles and Golden Sun. Of course I didn't know Nintendo wanted to print only half a million copies of Xenoblade....[/QUOTE]

At least there hopefully won't be the same pricing problem with Pandora's Tower since it isn't a gamestop exclusive. I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles since I figured Gamestop would never lower the price.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']I'd say it's more like buying a car from a dealership when a storm knocked over a light pole onto the car when it was on the lot and crushed the hood. You say "ughh... I asked for a brand new car" and they say "It is new, it's never been driven."

Gamestop's rebuttal to gutted copies not being new is that they are new because they have never been played. You can drop the disc and scratch it up, handle it with greasy fingers, sneeze on it, spill a drink on it, but as long as it has not been entered into a game system, it qualifies as 'new' to their logic. One that is totally flawed. To be honest, all the handling they do with the discs when they move them from sleeve to sleeve and drawer to drawer probably does more damage to it than 100 hours of gameplay in a system would.

If you see how employees handle the discs, they'll slam them face down on a hard surface and get greasy fingerprints all over it.[/QUOTE]

That's right. I've seen "new" game discs that are far worse condition than some used games. With the condition of the discs, you could never tell if they had actually been played. But once the customer buys it, you can't remove that circular seal, because then that greasy disc suddenly becomes used.

[quote name='pat87']Well, this sucks.

Gamefly decides to make Xenoblade unavailable for purchase the day after they sent it out to me.[/QUOTE]

What happens if you don't give it back? Gets lost in the mail? Gets lost? What do they do? Charge your card what, the price of the game?

[quote name='ohnoitschris']Oh my God. If there's this much demand for the game, why aren't there a ton of new copies being printed every day? Here's a crazy thought, the yearly Call of Duty games would escalate to crazy prices too if they weren't readily available everywhere and absolutely effortless to find. JRPGs aren't niche anymore by any means, what's the deal with making them in such tiny quantities?

At least The Last Story can be had for not too much money and it's of absolutely superb quality.[/QUOTE]

It's not that the demand is that high, it's that the hoarders/ebayers are that hoardy...making it impossible for those who actually do want a copy to pick it up. People say "why didn't you buy it a year ago?" The answer to that question is "If I bought every game I wanted as it came out I'd be dropping $200-300 a month on games I don't have time to play."

[quote name='ProppaT']It's not that the demand is that high, it's that the hoarders/ebayers are that hoardy...making it impossible for those who actually do want a copy to pick it up. People say "why didn't you buy it a year ago?" The answer to that question is "If I bought every game I wanted as it came out I'd be dropping $200-300 a month on games I don't have time to play."[/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums up how I feel as well.

[quote name='SEGAMew']I was waiting it to drop to under $20 like I did for Heracles and Golden Sun. Of course I didn't know Nintendo wanted to print only half a million copies of Xenoblade....[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it but that is kind of the exact argument for why Nintendo SHOULDN'T print a large number of games. They want people to buy their games at MSRP, not wait for price drops. I'm not saying you guys should buy everything at MSRP, but you should when there is strong indicators that a game will not be printed in high numbers. Between Nintendo strongly expressing they have no faith in the game's sales potential, and the fact that the game was exclusive to a single retailer - it was pretty clear this wouldn't be mass produced.

Had the game been printed in any significantly higher numbers, Nintendo would have had another Sin & Punishment on their hands.

Also, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but for those of you who haven't played this game - it may not live up to the hype for you. I didn't hate the game, but I also didn't think it was the next big leap for JRPGs. To me it hardly fit what I consider a JRPG to be. It felt more like an offline MMO than anything else I'd ever played in the genre. Personally, I would be pretty bummed paying $100+ for this.

[quote name='Doomstink']I hate to say it but that is kind of the exact argument for why Nintendo SHOULDN'T print a large number of games. They want people to buy their games at MSRP, not wait for price drops.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo already does that. Their first-party games can remain at their original MSRP for years even while those games are still in print. New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is still at $35 MSRP seven years after its release.

[quote name='Doomstink']Also, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but for those of you who haven't played this game - it may not live up to the hype for you. I didn't hate the game, but I also didn't think it was the next big leap for JRPGs. To me it hardly fit what I consider a JRPG to be. It felt more like an offline MMO than anything else I'd ever played in the genre. Personally, I would be pretty bummed paying $100+ for this.[/QUOTE]

I'm thoroughly enjoying it more than any game I have in a couple of years. That said, at some point, expectation gap theory takes over. If you're expecting the best game ever, nothing will satisfy that. Even the best game ever.

SI

If you wanted this game but do not currently own it, you have no one to blame but yourself. As a well received, late release, Gamestop-only Wii RPG, what did you think was going to happen? This didn't happen days after release. It's been over a year. You now suddenly have time to play it, just when it happened to peak in value?

[quote name='sterlingice']I'm thoroughly enjoying it more than any game I have in a couple of years. That said, at some point, expectation gap theory takes over. If you're expecting the best game ever, nothing will satisfy that. Even the best game ever.

SI[/QUOTE]

I certainly don't represent the popular opinion, but I've heard a few others echo my sentiment in the past. This definitely isn't a game that everyone will think is a masterpiece. I bought my copy of the game at launch, so I didn't go in with too much hype - though the European reviews did seem to paint it as one of the best games of all time.

[quote name='Thrinn']Nintendo already does that. Their first-party games can remain at their original MSRP for years even while those games are still in print. New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is still at $35 MSRP seven years after its release.[/QUOTE]

Anything that isn't a first-run franchise seems to drop below MSRP like a rock if too many copies are printed - just look at the things I previously mentioned: Sin & Punishment, Glory of Heracles, Golden Sun, Fossil Fighters, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (I got my copy for $10 at Wal-Mart when it was still available). Xenoblade wouldn't have been able to maintain a $50 price tag if it had been overprinted.

[quote name='Doomstink']I certainly don't represent the popular opinion, but I've heard a few others echo my sentiment in the past. This definitely isn't a game that everyone will think is a masterpiece. I bought my copy of the game at launch, so I didn't go in with too much hype - though the European reviews did seem to paint it as one of the best games of all time.[/QUOTE]

I was agreeing with your sentiment about people not necessarily buying into the hype and adding an additional reason. There's also going to be games that just don't click with people, even highly rated ones because we all look for different stuff in different games.

SI

Lets also keep in mind people that if you really want to play it there's a good chance it'll be available as a downloadable version maybe on the WiiU in the future. The only reason to drop $100 now is if for some reason a year after release you simply must play this game right now.

[quote name='yantelope']Lets also keep in mind people that if you really want to play it there's a good chance it'll be available as a downloadable version maybe on the WiiU in the future. The only reason to drop $100 now is if for some reason a year after release you simply must play this game right now.[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily. Look at Earthbound (Nintendo) or Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega). Both were popular and huge cult hits, yet they have never been re-released.

[quote name='Taren Fox']Not necessarily. Look at Earthbound (Nintendo) or Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega). Both were popular and huge cult hits, yet they have never been re-released.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but there are reasons those haven't been released. Whether it's licensing issues or missing source code, it's not like Nintendo and Sega are just being dicks to be dicks.

If Nintendo starts a Wii download serive on the Wii U, there's literally no reason they can't re-release this.

[quote name='Doomstink']Xenoblade wouldn't have been able to maintain a $50 price tag if it had been overprinted.[/QUOTE]
Supply and demand. The problem is that Nintendo clearly has failed to satisfy the demand for this game up to this point.

Part of me expects that they're currently just experiencing a "chip shortage," allowing time for demand to rebuild, and when they eventually re-release the game it'll fly off the shelves at $50.

I was going to post something about Pheonix Wright games not getting a reprint but they're all showing up as available on amazon. When did this happen?

Didn't Xenoblade or The Last Story have to have it's music changed some from the pal version? I remember hearing something about how there might have been a issue with the music on these games as well before the usa release.

I do know that was Earthbound's problem in getting a re-release.

[quote name='KingofGames']If you wanted this game but do not currently own it, you have no one to blame but yourself. As a well received, late release, Gamestop-only Wii RPG, what did you think was going to happen? This didn't happen days after release. It's been over a year. You now suddenly have time to play it, just when it happened to peak in value?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I put it on my mental list of "get it when it hits sub-$20". I didn't know it was a Gamestop exclusive until this thread popped up to smash in my face with the clue bat. I mean, how many GS exclusive retail releases have there been? Chulip? Anything else? Anyway, personally, I'm letting this game slip off my radar. :cool:

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']lol I cant help but think that this thread is mostly the reason for the high price hike / lack of Gamestop stock.[/QUOTE]
I thought that too myself, though maybe not the main reason, but definitely a contributing factor to the local GS suddenly running out of copies.

[quote name='doomstink']I certainly don't represent the popular opinion, but I've heard a few others echo my sentiment in the past. This definitely isn't a game that everyone will think is a masterpiece. I bought my copy of the game at launch, so I didn't go in with too much hype - though the European reviews did seem to paint it as one of the best games of all time.[/QUOTE]
As someone who has only causally played RPGs over my years of gaming, I can say that Xenoblade certainly does many minor things right that just add up to a complete positive experience for me. Maybe these are just universal improvements made to all RPGs in the past few years, but the small features like insta-map travel, automatic quest completion, clear battle / aggro icons, manual control over day and night cycles, and the ability to save whenever you want, cuts out alot of the junk I've been peeved at in past experiences.

Again, maybe someone who is more hardcore just isn't as impressed, but it personally has been the most refreshing JRPG I've played in some time. That being said, I wouldn't pay $100 for it, but $60 would still be worth it (and I don't really say that much about used games).

[quote name='Taren Fox']Not necessarily. Look at Earthbound (Nintendo) or Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega). Both were popular and huge cult hits, yet they have never been re-released.[/QUOTE]

As was pointed out, Earthbound has been held up due to legalities. Panzer Dragoon Saga would have been rereleased already except the source files were lost/destroyed. Sega loves to do cash pulls, look at how many times they've reprinted/released their Genesis and Dreamcast catalogs...and unlike all those games, people have actually been hounding Sega to re-release Saga. It would probably be out in at least two different formats at this point.

Not to rub it in, but Saga is well worth the hype (IMO). On the other hand, the little bit I played of Xenosaga reminded me of Monster Hunter (the only reason I didn't buy a copy last year when I had the chance).

Just because a game is Gamestop exclusive, it doesn't mean it's going to disappear before there is a price drop. It's usually quite the opposite.
Chaos War for PS2
Crush3D for 3DS
Tenchu for DS
Harvest Moon Magical Melody for Wii
Adventures to Go for PSP
Those are all sort of recent examples of Gamestop Exclusives, and Harvest Moon is the only one that didn't drop to $10 eventually.

[quote name='salty tbone']This thread is a cosmic ballet, with every so often someone popping in to say "Holy shit! The used price is now $59.99!" or "My local store in east bumblefuck has a copy, this game ain't hard to find."[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mit']Wow, fuck you GameStop.

They seriously raised the pre-owned price of the game to $60.[/QUOTE]

Rofl

[quote name='kraftwerks']Just because a game is Gamestop exclusive, it doesn't mean it's going to disappear before there is a price drop. It's usually quite the opposite.
Chaos War for PS2
Crush3D for 3DS
Tenchu for DS
Adventures to Go for PSP
Those are all sort of recent examples of Gamestop Exclusives, and Harvest Moon is the only one that didn't drop to $10 eventually.[/QUOTE]

Those are mostly a bunch of games that didn't sell well and had an abundance of copies.

This game is sold out. It is going the way of Metroid Prime Trilogy. They've already raised the pre-owned price to be HIGHER than the new price, which is a fairly clear indicator that the game will never be in stock new again.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Rofl[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote name='kraftwerks']Just because a game is Gamestop exclusive, it doesn't mean it's going to disappear before there is a price drop. It's usually quite the opposite.
Chaos War for PS2
Crush3D for 3DS
Tenchu for DS
Adventures to Go for PSP
Those are all sort of recent examples of Gamestop Exclusives, and Harvest Moon is the only one that didn't drop to $10 eventually.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but a bunch of rainfall dudes didn't spamrape every gaming forum and news website preaching to high holy Moses that any of those games were the equivalent of taking a bath in the sweet nectar of kingdom come.

Exactly, none of those games had near the same reception as Xenoblade. Nintendo has just hinted at a sequel to the game for the Wii U. Honestly, if you did not see this coming, you have not been paying attention. Even a reprint does not guarantee any type of price drop. Take a look at Radiant Historia on the DS, which has been reprinted on two occassions as far as I'm aware.

But Xenoblade didn't sell out in a day.
True, it did sell out, but it was readily available for many, many months. I would have no reason to believe that month after month of going into Gamestop and seeing that the game is still there on the shelf, that the supply would dry up within a week of the first person noticing it was gone.
I'd love to know how many copies were printed, and how many were bought in the last two months solely for resale.

[quote name='kraftwerks']But Xenoblade didn't sell out in a day.
True, it did sell out, but it was readily available for many, many months. I would have no reason to believe that month after month of going into Gamestop and seeing that the game is still there on the shelf, that the supply would dry up within a week of the first person noticing it was gone.
I'd love to know how many copies were printed, and how many were bought in the last two months solely for resale.[/QUOTE]

So, resellers are going to sell it for $10 eventually?

There weren't THAT many copies available. Most GameStops were sitting on 1-2 copies--the same copies--for months. The supply didn't dry up recently. The supply of the game has been closed for months. It's only now that the remaining stock has finally sold through/almost sold through.

Now those of us who expected to find it cheaper at some point in time are panicking because the price is going up and not down. $50 is a bargain to me now.

[quote name='Mit']$50 is a bargain to me now.[/QUOTE]

Been lurking for a while but this thread among many prompted me to make an account.
I agree, I was able to pick up one of the last copies available in Atlanta for $50. Granted it was a gutted copy but I was surprised to get that very nice art book with it. I really didn't know much about the game other than it was highly thought of and was becoming hard to find. Since i grew up with JRPG's i was hoping this would re spur my interest in them that Final Fantasy has not as of late. I haven't been able to play it much due to work, recently getting married, and the massive backlog that I have thanks to all of you. But so far Xenoblade hasn't disappointed.

Funniest part about my search was the first store I called about it put me on hold but just put the phone down. I heard the store rep sell the last copy at she had while i was on hold. Luckily one last store had the copy I ended up with.

[quote name='themidnighter23']What happens if you don't give it back? Gets lost in the mail? Gets lost? What do they do? Charge your card what, the price of the game?[/QUOTE]

Beats me. You wouldn't get the case/manual anyway, and I'm not about to steal. It just annoys me that, when they sent it out, it was still available for purchase. I was simply waiting for it to arrive in the mail to see if it was going to be a disc that wasn't totally trashed, and then they take the option to purchase away.

Oh well. It's going immediately back to gamefly.

[quote name='KingofGames']Exactly, none of those games had near the same reception as Xenoblade. Nintendo has just hinted at a sequel to the game for the Wii U. Honestly, if you did not see this coming, you have not been paying attention. Even a reprint does not guarantee any type of price drop. Take a look at Radiant Historia on the DS, which has been reprinted on two occassions as far as I'm aware.[/QUOTE]

Radiant Historia did have a reprint, and it was at $30 for a long time. Amazon then clearanced out their whole stock at ~$18, and sold like hotcakes. Now, it fetches for $60 or more on ebay.

I don't think Nintendo plans on reprinting xenoblade anytime soon. They weren't really interested in bringing the game over in the first place, and I'm sure it didn't receive enough sales to make it worthwhile for nintendo to reprint.

[quote name='Branyon47']Been lurking for a while but this thread among many prompted me to make an account.
I agree, I was able to pick up one of the last copies available in Atlanta for $50. Granted it was a gutted copy but I was surprised to get that very nice art book with it. I really didn't know much about the game other than it was highly thought of and was becoming hard to find. Since i grew up with JRPG's i was hoping this would re spur my interest in them that Final Fantasy has not as of late.

Funniest part about my search was the first store I called about it put me on hold but just put the phone down. I heard the store rep sell the last copy at she had while i was on hold. Luckily one last store had the copy i ended up with[/QUOTE]

You likely got an art book because they probably only received one shipment of the game + art books for each copy, and they never sold through that shipment to receive any more copies. (I work at a GameStop, btw :V )

Another example of how few copies of this are actually out there and how it probably is not going down in price, ever.

[quote name='Mit']$50 is a bargain to me now.[/QUOTE]That's probably the exact consumer mindset Nintendo was looking to get out of this situation. :tinfoilhat:

[quote name='Thrinn']That's probably the exact consumer mindset Nintendo was looking to get out of this situation. :tinfoilhat:[/QUOTE]

Nintendo just wanted to shut us all up. Otherwise, I don't really see how they benefit from the current situation unless they be nice and actually print more copies.

[quote name='pat87']Beats me. You wouldn't get the case/manual anyway, and I'm not about to steal. It just annoys me that, when they sent it out, it was still available for purchase. I was simply waiting for it to arrive in the mail to see if it was going to be a disc that wasn't totally trashed, and then they take the option to purchase away.

Radiant Historia did have a reprint, and it was at $30 for a long time. Amazon then clearanced out their whole stock at ~$18, and sold like hotcakes. Now, it fetches for $60 or more on ebay.

I don't think Nintendo plans on reprinting xenoblade anytime soon. They weren't really interested in bringing the game over in the first place, and I'm sure it didn't receive enough sales to make it worthwhile for nintendo to reprint.[/QUOTE]

I created the thread in reference to the price drop. It initially dropped to $25, then dropped $1-$1.50 every 12-18 hours over the span of around 3 days. I was going to order several copies as trade bait, but with 250~ units left, they bumped the price back up to $29.99. As you mentioned, while it was available for $29.99, most gamers passed. Now that it's going for $50+ used, people would jump at the chance to purchase a new copy for $29.99. That's essentially the same thing that happened here. Now that it's difficult to find, everyone wants it.

[quote name='pat87']Beats me. You wouldn't get the case/manual anyway, and I'm not about to steal. It just annoys me that, when they sent it out, it was still available for purchase. I was simply waiting for it to arrive in the mail to see if it was going to be a disc that wasn't totally trashed, and then they take the option to purchase away.

I don't think Nintendo plans on reprinting xenoblade anytime soon. They weren't really interested in bringing the game over in the first place, and I'm sure it didn't receive enough sales to make it worthwhile for nintendo to reprint.[/QUOTE]

i think his point you missed. they will simply charge you for the game. then contact them and say "heysince you charged me, can i get the case for my $60 purchase".

more like a white lie rather than trying to cheat or steal from gamefly.

bread's done
Back