ya fumble at the 1 yard line

Good? FUCING AMAZING GAMES even coming from a Colts fan.

The Colts blew it, alot.

Horrible secondary.
Too many fumbles.
Sack at the end.

2 fumbles inside the red zone, horrible. Manning screwed up big time that last play, he didn't look to his right where the rushers were at and got sacked.

fuckING RIGHT DOGGY! my fantasy football league has no colts players and 2 pats players (tom brady and adam vinawhatever) and i already have 58 points! WHASSUP?!

Well, I hope that got that out of James' system. No more games like that as far as his TOs go. Hell of a night for him otherwise though. Scary good-looking.

[quote name='StealthySeal']shaq-fuing RIGHT DOGGY! my fantasy football league has no colts players and 2 pats players (tom brady and adam vinawhatever) and i already have 58 points! WHASSUP?![/quote]

Vinatieri, that's right, Vinatieri. No points this round, better luck next time.

Willie McGinest is a Colts killer. If you remember, the last regular season game they played, McGinest stopped Edgerrin James at the 1 with no time left.

Vinatieri makes that kick at the end that Vanderjagt missed.

Next 2 games for the Patriots are gimme's, at Arizona and at Buffalo. I don't like the week 3 bye though... Then they play the Dolphins at home for the consecutive games won record if they win those two. That'll be a great game... For us anyway.

[quote name='RichD1']Be happy you don't start the season on the road against NE and TEN and at home against DEN.[/quote]
Even worse the Colts 3rd game is GB not DEN.

You play the Packers in week 3, nothing to worry about. At Jacksonville, then at home against the Raiders and Jacksonville are games you should win. At KC will be tough, and at home against the Vikings will be a good game. But then you get the Texans, Bears, and Lions. 3 automatic wins. 2 of the last 4 games are against the Texans and Chargers. Not a hard schedule but not the easiest.

The Patriots don't have a hard schedule either. Some tough games here and there but overall not bad.

The Colts have gotta be kicking themselves over this one. 3 of their best players cost them that game.
The Edge's 2 fumbles (1 at the goal line)
Manning getting sacked on 3rd down (making it a 48 yd FG attempt)
Vanderjagt missing his 1st field goal in over a year.

Don't worry Indy fans. You'll be fine this season.
I have to endure another year of watching the Lions.

The sack wasn't Manning's fault because he took it, that's what you're supposed to do, better to have a shot at a field goal than throw a wild pass for an INT. What was his partly his fault was making a play call at the line that played right into McGinest's blitz, he should've left a back back there to help in pass protection on that side, or use a play that had the TE blocking instead of running a pattern. In other words, he should've known they'd blitz.

The sack was caused in part by Manning changing the play and shfting people around at the last second, if I remember correctly. For that, and not throwing the ball away, you could blame him. But I'd blame whoever was blocking McGinest a lot more.

Then again I'd give McGinest more credit for making the play than I'd blame anyone for allowing it.

[quote name='dafoomie']The sack was caused in part by Manning changing the play and shfting people around at the last second, if I remember correctly. For that, and not throwing the ball away, you could blame him. But I'd blame whoever was blocking McGinest a lot more.

Then again I'd give McGinest more credit for making the play than I'd blame anyone for allowing it.[/quote]

He was still in the pocket I think so the result would've been the same had he'd just thrown it away, not in the direction of an eligible reciever.

He was still in the pocket I think so the result would've been the same had he'd just thrown it away, not in the direction of an eligible reciever.
He was at the 19, he could have just thrown it straight through the endzone.

But yeah, if intentional grounding was called, the result would have been the same. But I'm not really blaming him for the play as I'm giving credit to McGinest.

[quote name='johnnyoski']The Colts have gotta be kicking themselves over this one. 3 of their best players cost them that game.
The Edge's 2 fumbles (1 at the goal line)
Manning getting sacked on 3rd down (making it a 48 yd FG attempt)
Vanderjagt missing his 1st field goal in over a year.

Don't worry Indy fans. You'll be fine this season.
I have to endure another year of watching the Lions.[/quote]

I have to endure the Cards, I liked watching the browns' games since they usually were exciting and close.

The Colts pretty much gave that game away, a few too many mistakes on big plays. That'll burn for a week.

Bill Belichek is definitely one of the best coaches in the NFL.

damn i missed the game i had to go somewhere, but i love the colts i cant believe they blew it, oh well cant wait to see the steeler game though.

They played a good game with few mistakes. Problem is those few mistakes were huge. I think they'll have a good season, but it was a heartbreaking finish for us Colt fans. Would have loved to see Peyton finally win one on the Pats turf.

[quote name='gokou36']2 fumbles inside the red zone, horrible. Manning screwed up big time that last play, he didn't look to his right where the rushers were at and got sacked.[/quote]

Don't forget Manning also threw an int in the red zone in the 1st qtr. It's hard to win when you turn the ball over 3 times, especially in the red zone.

James was cursed from the start, owing it to whatever language he was speaking when he supposedly said "Edgerrin James, University of Miami." I got the Edgerrin James part, and knew what he was supposed to say for the second part, yet still had no clue whatsoever.

Al Michaels translating it for the viewers after the introductions was classic. "For those of you that don't live in southern Florida, he went to the Univeristy of Miami."

Both of the smartasses in the introductions got cursed.
The Edge for saying "The U" and Ty Law for saying his high school instead of Michigan.
The Edge played well except for his 2 costly fumbles, but Ty Law looked awful. Bad hamstring or not, there's no way someone like Stokely should be burning him in the end zone.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']The sack wasn't Manning's fault because he took it, that's what you're supposed to do, better to have a shot at a field goal than throw a wild pass for an INT. What was his partly his fault was making a play call at the line that played right into McGinest's blitz, he should've left a back back there to help in pass protection on that side, or use a play that had the TE blocking instead of running a pattern. In other words, he should've known they'd blitz.[/quote]

I have to disagree. He tried to call an audible but it was too loud in the stadium. He then ran around shouting out the play with the play clock running down. He should of anticipated that there would be some confusion and he should of anticipated the blitz. He did'nt even see it coming. He had room to roll out to the left. The worst thing he could of done was take the sack, he could of just thrown it away. IMO Manning is overated and overpayed. He always seems to cheese up when the pressure is on.

Did anyone get a load of Vandershank? Before that field goal attempt at the end, he made the hand gesture for money at the Pats bench, right before he missed the kick. Then after the game he starts talking shit about the Pats, about how "they clearly aren't a better team than us". Based on what? Based on the regular season game last year that they lost to us, the playoff game that they lost to us, or last night?

He was also talking shit about Manning and Edge a little bit.

[quote name='johnnyoski']Both of the smartasses in the introductions got cursed.
The Edge for saying "The U" and Ty Law for saying his high school instead of Michigan.
The Edge played well except for his 2 costly fumbles, but Ty Law looked awful. Bad hamstring or not, there's no way someone like Stokely should be burning him in the end zone.[/quote]

Yeah, "Ty Law, Aliquippa High School." Congratulations, douchebag, you're from western Pennsylvania! Do you want a cookie?

(On a side note, I only recently learned of the existence of this town/city/whatever, since the CIA guy central to the "Charlie Wilson's War" book -- about the support given the Afghanis when the USSR invaded -- grew up there).

[quote name='snotknocker'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']The sack wasn't Manning's fault because he took it, that's what you're supposed to do, better to have a shot at a field goal than throw a wild pass for an INT. What was his partly his fault was making a play call at the line that played right into McGinest's blitz, he should've left a back back there to help in pass protection on that side, or use a play that had the TE blocking instead of running a pattern. In other words, he should've known they'd blitz.[/quote]

I have to disagree. He tried to call an audible but it was too loud in the stadium. He then ran around shouting out the play with the play clock running down. He should of anticipated that there would be some confusion and he should of anticipated the blitz. He did'nt even see it coming. He had room to roll out to the left. The worst thing he could of done was take the sack, he could of just thrown it away. IMO Manning is overated and overpayed. He always seems to cheese up when the pressure is on.[/quote]

Manning def. is overrated and overpayed I totally agree, and you just agreed with about 80% of what I was saying about the audible, he should've know there was a blitz headed his way, in fact he switched the side James was on I think. if James stayed on the side the original formation called for he would've been in prime position to pick up that blitz.

As for throwing it away, he was in the pocket and the only way it wouldn't have been grounding is if he tried to toss it out the back of the endzone, however, that's extremely risky, if it doesn't make it there or he gets hit right as he throws then it's basically a jump ball for the D. As for a rollout/scramble, given that McGinest was totally untocuhed and Manning had about less than 2 seconds, Manning is pretty damn slow and I'm about 95% sure McGinest would've caught him before he was able to rollout of the pocket.

Also to everyone who says a sack is the worst thing in that situation, I don't get your premise. A turnover would be by far worse and also he got hit at about the 30, he they had enough time left to get a kick away and he probably knows that Vanderjagt not only has the leg to get it there but also that he is statiscally one of the best kickers ever to play in the NFL. Had the play started at about the 30 I agree a sack would be the worst thing. Sure it makes Vanderjagt's kick a little tougher, but he's made plenty of those before in the clutch as well. So given the postion the team was in a sack was far from the worst thing that could've happened.

Manning def. is overrated and overpayed I totally agree, and you just agreed with about 80% of what I was saying about the audible, he should've know there was a blitz headed his way, in fact he switched the side James was on I think. if James stayed on the side the original formation called for he would've been in prime position to pick up that blitz.

Manning moved James away from McGinest to block Rodney Harrison who was at the line. Bad move. Your right though, a turnover is worse.
Manning and Vandershank are both overrated. They don't get it done when it matters.

I think something worth noting is how much Brady's weapons have improved. Brown, Branch, Givens, Patten, Johnson is a nice group of recievers with Graham, Watson, and Fauria at tight end, and Dillon at RB... The new emphasis on contact past 5 yards will help the Pats more than it hurts with all their small, fast wide recievers.

All he had to do was throw it in the direction of an elegible receiver. A 35 yd field goal as opposed to a 48 is a major difference. Manning is a choker

Manning is overrated? MANNING IS OVERRATED? THAT'S fuckING LUDICROUS! Even Colts haters have to agree Manning is by far one of the best to play in recent years and is currently the #1 BEST quarterback in the game today, with perhaps only Culpepper challenging for that title.

Wildwop--are you stupid? No, I mean that , seriously.

Al Michaels translating it for the viewers after the introductions was classic. "For those of you that don't live in southern Florida, he went to the Univeristy of Miami."

Maybe you can't hear, but I heard "The U" pretty clearly from James, and Al Michaels had to translate because people not from South Florida often DON'T KNOW WHAT THE fuck THE U IS.

Also, Ty Law isn't the only player in football in name their HS. You don't know what happened to him in college, but he's entitled to his own opinion on his school and if he despises his school and refuses to mention it, more power to him.

And if you blame that game on Manning, you're a fool. The Colts had too many chances that they didn't convert on, and they lost as a team...and I'm still searching for the Colts secondary.

Manning may choke occasionally, but I seem to remember 157.9 in the first 2 games of the playoffs. 2/3 ain't bad if you ask me.

Geniuses you all are. Yeah, nice to sit on our couches and criticize a guy, but there's no way in hell you could even come to realizing how good Manning is. Neither do I.

People who live and breathe football (read: know the game in and out and not just what Madden and NFL 2K taught you. don't even bring up how you played high school or college ball) know Manning is every bit as good as people say he is.

As for all your hypotheses, throw 'em out the window. They mean squat. "Oh, he should have done this, he should have done that." You watched ON YOUR COUCH. Until you can tell me exactly what Peyton thought and saw, then it's all just nonsense.

The guy gets it done. And he takes it on himself when he doesn't. How many athletes can you say that about? No excuses, he just performs.

As for Vanderjagt. He missed it. Serves him right for being so damn cocky, but he's still a hell of a kicker.

The Colts lost yesterday because they have no defense, not because of Manning.

He's a top 3 QB in the league but he's not #1.. He's overrated because he's considered by so many to be the best today and in comparison to QB's all time. Its the Marino vs Montana argument. Marino was a great QB but he's considered overrated by many because he never won a superbowl.

Brady's only won 2 superbowls and 2 superbowl MVP's in his 3 years in the league and won 17 straight games going back to last year.

Also, look at Brady's cap number and look at Manning's. You can have Brady and a number of good players for what Manning costs.

[quote name='RichD1']Manning is overrated? MANNING IS OVERRATED? THAT'S shaq-fuing LUDICROUS! Even Colts haters have to agree Manning is by far one of the best to play in recent years and is currently the #1 BEST quarterback in the game today, with perhaps only Culpepper challenging for that title.

And if you blame that game on Manning, you're a fool. The Colts had too many chances that they didn't convert on, and they lost as a team...and I'm still searching for the Colts secondary.

Manning may choke occasionally, but I seem to remember 157.9 in the first 2 games of the playoffs. 2/3 ain't bad if you ask me.[/quote]

This sack situation is one of the few times I'd be defending Manning, I agree though they blew that game as a team.

However he's still overrated...If you took Manning out of the Colts offense they literally built around solely him, he'd be a very average QB. See how well he does in 3 years when alot of players they have now leave because they can't afford to pay them with Manning's enormous salary there. He can't throw an accuarte long ball at all. And as you mentioned he chokes...alot. Even in college he did that with arguably one of the best teams in the nation. He could never even beat Florida, despite the fact UT was favored in 2 of thier matchups and there's the small matter of not being able to lead his team to a playoff victory in half a decade's time. Sure he looks good on paper, but that's about it and it's due to his offensive personel, just look at his stats before he got all the talent he has had inthe last 3 years or so.

I repeat, 157.9 -- No playoff wins?

Up until the second half of last year, Manning had noone but Harrison and Pollard until Wayne appeared as a dominant receiver. He has thrown for over 4,000 yards for 5 straight years, and you say just the last 3 years? Rookie year, 3739 yards, 7 years ago and it looks like it's getting ready to make a run at 5,000. 25,000 career passing yards in 6 season is fucking amazing. With the exception of his rookie year and '01, he doesn't throw over 20 interceptions and last year he only threw an insane 10 interceptions. He has thrown for over 25 TDs every year of his career. Again, with the exception of his rookie year, his completion % hasn't been below 62.1, and he has a career QB rating of 88.1, 3 years above 90 and already above 90 for this season. Averages 259.2 yards per game in his career, an insane number. When he's not playing the Patriots, Manning is the greatest QB to be playing the game in 2004.

Don't make me pull Brady's stats. Despite popular belief, I do not the believe playoffs define a player. Manning is the equivalent of Pedro Martinez, IMO. Best QB/pitcher in the game, nice in the playoffs until you make it to that one team you just can't beat. (pats/Yanks)

Huh? Manning has Harrison and just again this year, James.

What other players are you talking about? There are role players on the team. It's not an all-star studded offense the Colts have. The big three are the only ones that have Pro Bowl trips under their belt.

Look at those numbers. Boggling. There's no denying them. Fine, the knock on him is that he doesn't have Super Bowls. Yet.

This "choking a lot" is just ridiculous.

You take Manning out of the Colts and see what you get. He makes the offense work. It's not so much what he does after the snap, which is astonishing, but his work before that makes him even more of a great QB.

The things he has to process in a 40 second period to get his team the best play is absolutely amazing. He gets so much crap for the few bad plays, but how many times are we oblivious of the great plays he makes?

And not the plays we see on SportsCenter, either. The little play that got his team one or two more yards just by reading the D and changing things up.

It's his call out there on the field and when there's a TD, he rarely takes all the glory, yet he's the one that starts it off.

The Colts are nothing without Peyton.

[quote name='RichD1']Wildwop--are you stupid? No, I mean that , seriously.
[/quote]
Thanks for the unneccessary personal attack. Your maturity astounds me.

*sits back and waits for the "but you called him a douchebag" retort*

Yeah, I did call him a douchebag. He is in the pros, despite the fact that he has a problem with his college, because 1) they recruited him 2) presumably gave him a scholarship and 3) gave him a place to improve his skills and showcase them on a national stage. Regardless of his personal problems with the school, mentioning his HS instead of his college is immature. He is where he is because of the opportunity the school afforded him.

[quote name='RichD1']

Maybe you can't hear, but I heard "The U" pretty clearly from James, and Al Michaels had to translate because people not from South Florida often DON'T KNOW WHAT THE shaq-fu THE U IS.
[/quote]

Indeed, I am deaf. I was reading his lips. Oh wait, he was mumbling in his best attempt to be a hardass. I wouldn't have been able to read his lips anyway. God forgive me for not understanding what he so clearly spoke.

[quote name='RichD1']
Also, Ty Law isn't the only player in football in name their HS. You don't know what happened to him in college, but he's entitled to his own opinion on his school and if he despises his school and refuses to mention it, more power to him.
[/quote]

I'm sure Michigan is shitting themselves because he refused to mention his college. I'm sure millions of aspiring athletes will refrain from attending such a horrible university with such a shitty football program, because Ty Law has a problem with them. This is stupid. I am aware other players don't mention their college, though the fact that they are in the pros anyway means that their grudge is rather petty. Their college hardly ruined their lives, eh?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Geniuses you all are. Yeah, nice to sit on our couches and criticize a guy, but there's no way in hell you could even come to realizing how good Manning is. Neither do I.

People who live and breathe football (read: know the game in and out and not just what Madden and NFL 2K taught you. don't even bring up how you played high school or college ball) know Manning is every bit as good as people say he is.

As for all your hypotheses, throw 'em out the window. They mean squat. "Oh, he should have done this, he should have done that." You watched ON YOUR COUCH. Until you can tell me exactly what Peyton thought and saw, then it's all just nonsense.

The guy gets it done. And he takes it on himself when he doesn't. How many athletes can you say that about? No excuses, he just performs.

[/quote]

I'm sorry I watched the game from my couch and have an opinion as to what caused the Colts to lose the game.
I suppose you were on the sidelines and in the team's locker room so we should listen to your insight like it is fact.

Um, read my post again. I am just like you.

I posted that in complete disbelief how you all seem to know so much better than a professional athlete. How could you all possibly be so harsh and critical when the good deal of people on this board don't know half as much as those on the field.

That comment wasn't really directed at you. I just kept reading postsers that act as though they know so much better.

The Colts lost and made some mistakes. People just started making this into a "let's bash certain players" type of thread.

That's what irritates me.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Um, read my post again. I am just like you.

I posted that in complete disbelief how you all seem to know so much better than a professional athlete. How could you all possibly be so harsh and critical when the good deal of people on this board don't know half as much as those on the field.

That comment wasn't really directed at you. I just kept reading postsers that act as though they know so much better.

The Colts lost and made some mistakes. People just started making this into a "let's bash certain players" type of thread.

That's what irritates me.[/quote]

Get rid of the bashing players and what fun are pro sports? Might as well just turn it off and say Well they are all trying hard and thats all we can ask.

When someone criticizes a player, no one ever thinks that they can do it better. Its very easy to see mistakes and poor play with TV and instant replay. Why shouldn't they be called on it? Professional athletes are paid to deal with criticism from fans and the media, it only matters to them coming from their coach. So why shouldn't we express our opinion? Because we don't play in the NFL? Thats all any of this is, opinions, could be right or wrong. No ones opinion here is any more or less valid. We aren't exactly arguing with Bill Belichick here.

We can watch the tapes and breakdown the play, and figure out what went wrong. Does that mean we think we can do it ourselves, or make the right decision in a fraction of a second? Of course not. But its their job to. They're paid millions to do it. And when they screw up, fans see it, argue about it, bitch about it, you know why? Because they're fans. Its what fans do. If you want fans that don't complain and don't boo and don't criticize, go watch Japanese Baseball.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I suppose. You all have fun then. That's what matters.[/quote]

In pro sports, yes that is what matters. Its fricken entertainment that we pay to watch.

bread's done
Back