Yakuza 3 comes West, Right now!

[quote name='dallow']Did anyone get the GS specific DLC?
Did it come on it's own special card, printed on receipt?[/QUOTE]

Just picked up my copy about 1/2 hour ago. It's on a special card inside the package. Also, the card is not a scratch-off, so probably not a good idea to settle for a gutted copy (since someone could just write your code down and use it/sell it).

Mine was not gutted (thankfully) and the cashier told me that it's a good thing that I pre-ordered b/c they didn't get many copies in.

Can't wait to play this game, but I'm at a coffee shop right now with my wife who's working on a presentation :(

I just got home from work with it. Installing now!!

I'm probably in the minority (or the only one in existence) where now that I have Y3 I'm going to quit playing FF13 for the time being :D

[quote name='whoknows']I just got home from work with it. Installing now!!

I'm probably in the minority (or the only one in existence) where now that I have Y3 I'm going to quit playing FF13 for the time being :D[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of doing the same thing but it seems none of the Best Buys near me will put the game on the floor till tomorrow so I guess I can get another day of FF13 in.

My FF13 is shipped 2 days ago, and probably will be here by the weekend. GoW 3 is shipping next week, so the real test is whether I can resist cracking open GoW 3 before finishing Yakuza 3.

[quote name='whoknows']I just got home from work with it. Installing now!!

I'm probably in the minority (or the only one in existence) where now that I have Y3 I'm going to quit playing FF13 for the time being :D[/QUOTE]

B0000CF348.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Salutes you.

[quote name='dallow']Did anyone get the GS specific DLC?
Did it come on it's own special card, printed on receipt?[/QUOTE]

mines was emailed. unless that was a different code thing @_@

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']mines was emailed. unless that was a different code thing @_@[/QUOTE]

What was the add on you got for that e-mailed code? Mine was for the "Yakuza 3 Battle Pack."

I pre-ordered via the B&M GameStop, so they didn't take down my e-mail address.

[quote name='jh6269']What was the add on you got for that e-mailed code? Mine was for the "Yakuza 3 Battle Pack."

I pre-ordered via the B&M GameStop, so they didn't take down my e-mail address.[/QUOTE]

all the email says is "GameStop Exclusive Challenge Pack"

is this the same as the battle pack?

[quote name='jh6269']What was the add on you got for that e-mailed code? Mine was for the "Yakuza 3 Battle Pack."

I pre-ordered via the B&M GameStop, so they didn't take down my e-mail address.[/QUOTE]

The DLC code should be on your receipt. Okay. Here's my story: I also preordered at Gamestop B&M. The people there had no idea that I was supposed to get $5 off and a special DLC code. They had to scan some barcode in a book thing they had for the discount. They then looked to see if they had any cards or anything with the special DLC code. One guy checked a gutted copy and assumed that was it. I was in a mall with two Gamestops, so after I picked up my copy, I asked the guy at the other one. He said they probably forgot to scan the DLC code-thing so he printed me out a receipt with it on it. Just go back and tell them it should have been on your receipt.

after a bit of quick research, seems they're both completely different. someone on gamespot posted this

"The GameStop Pre-order dlc is NOT the dlc code thats inside the case. The GameStop pre-order code comes on special receipt they print for you. Yeah, its very sneaky of them. Be sure that you get a receipt that has the pre-order code in the middle of it. The code that's in the case is for the Battle pack. The gamestop pre-order code is for the challenge pack. Also, make sure they are only charging you $54.99 like advertised. I almost got screwed out of the dlc code AND the $5."

check your receipt!!!

[quote name='SEH']I've got a $25 Amazon GC. I'm tempted to get this. Is it worth it even if I've never played a previous Yakuza game?[/QUOTE]

They'll debrief you through flashbacks. In Yakuza 2 they ask you if you want a recap or not. I think the review for Yakuza 3 said that it has the same thing. I would totally buy it if you like beat'em ups and GREAT story lines. This third one is a heck of a lot more quirky than the 1st and the 2nd as far as I can tell, but it's a part of the appeal I guess? It didn't quite need it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a bit of comedy in anything on the side rather than inappropriately inserted into the storyilne.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']after a bit of quick research, seems they're both completely different. someone on gamespot posted this

"The GameStop Pre-order dlc is NOT the dlc code thats inside the case. The GameStop pre-order code comes on special receipt they print for you. Yeah, its very sneaky of them. Be sure that you get a receipt that has the pre-order code in the middle of it. The code that's in the case is for the Battle pack. The gamestop pre-order code is for the challenge pack. Also, make sure they are only charging you $54.99 like advertised. I almost got screwed out of the dlc code AND the $5."

check your receipt!!![/QUOTE]

[quote name='naruto179']
I was in a mall with two Gamestops, so after I picked up my copy, I asked the guy at the other one. He said they probably forgot to scan the DLC code-thing so he printed me out a receipt with it on it. Just go back and tell them it should have been on your receipt. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have both receipts (first for the pre-order and second for the final receipt), I didn't get the $5 off and I didn't get the GameStop special DLC code. I hope they'll give it to me if I go back tomorrow.

So do they have to scan some book to print the special receipt? Or do they scan your sales receipt to get a second DLC receipt?

So does anyone know how much content was actually cut from the game? I've been reading it's much more significant than just the Hostess clubs.

[quote name='equest943']They'll debrief you through flashbacks. In Yakuza 2 they ask you if you want a recap or not. I think the review for Yakuza 3 said that it has the same thing. I would totally buy it if you like beat'em ups and GREAT story lines. This third one is a heck of a lot more quirky than the 1st and the 2nd as far as I can tell, but it's a part of the appeal I guess? It didn't quite need it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a bit of comedy in anything on the side rather than inappropriately inserted into the storyilne.[/QUOTE]

Starting off with just the flashbacks isnt that bad. The games are fairly long and its easy to lose track of the various characters and more intricate plot details. Even having played through the games, I still use the flashbacks to catch up...

[quote name='KingBroly']So does anyone know how much content was actually cut from the game? I've been reading it's much more significant than just the Hostess clubs.[/QUOTE]

According to one review -

There is so much to do, see, and experience in Yakuza 3 that it rivals hardcore RPGs like Oblivion and Dragon Age in terms of amount-of-time-played to amount-of-money-paid ratio – an equation that many games these days come up shockingly short on.

There is so much to do, in fact, that after completing the main story, all sub-missions, and dabbling here and there with the plethora of mini-games, my save file read a whopping seventy-five hours. Seventy-five hours – and that was with my total completion percentage at forty-five. It may be cliché, but this is one of the few games on the PS3 that really does keep on giving.

All that said, Sega’s release of the game in the west didn’t come off without a hitch. Several weeks ago, in response to a whirlwind of rampant, internet forum speculation, Sega confirmed that they cut content from the non-Asian versions of the game. The cuts aren’t widespread or gameplay mutilating, but they are there, and they are noticeable (to those familiar with the Japanese version). Yakuza 3 is so inherently and unabashedly Japanese that bringing it to the west would have been a challenge for even the best of localization teams, but Sega’s team seems especially ham-handed with their decision to, almost arbitrarily, lop off all hostess clubs (the hostess girls are still in, however, as are dates), the Club Sega trivia game, Mahjong and Shogi (Japanese chess), amongst a few other things. In the end, though, the cuts are trivial. They are like the removal of one flavor of candy sprinkles from an exquisitely decorated cake – if you didn’t know they were removed, you probably wouldn’t know the difference. Yakuza 3 is still one of the most polished gameplay experiences on the PS3, and the second must-have, system-exclusive title of 2010 (after Heavy Rain).

The story’s potency is strengthened by Kazuma Kiryu himself – a video game protagonist who ranks up with Solid Snake and Nathan Drake as one of the all-time best. Kazuma is a man who follows a strict moral code – a code that mirrors the Bushido of Edo period samurai, with strong emphasis on loyalty and prowess in battle, but not on needless killing. Kazuma is also tall, muscular, sharply dressed, and capable of walking into any nightclub in Tokyo and leaving with the girl of his choice. He’s sort of a more stoic, less ruthless version of Ian Fleming’s 007, with a badass dragon tattoo sprawled across his back. Players get to step fully into Kazuma’s shoes and experience all shades of his personality, from his time cooking dinner with the kids at the orphanage, to his brutal fisticuffs with anyone who tries to challenge his strict ethical code.

In January 2009, I spent my honeymoon in Okinawa. A month later I was playing Ryu ga Gotoku 3 (the Japanese name for Yakuza 3) and found myself utterly blown away by how thoroughly the game’s Ryukyu area was modeled after Naha Okinawa’s Kokusai street – complete with a Blue Seal ice cream parlor, monorail track and station layout, and even the sanshin (the habu snake-skinned instrument of Okinawa) music wafting pleasantly out from street side shops. If you’ve ever wanted to go to Japan, but couldn’t for whatever reason, consider Yakuza 3 to be the closest way to experience the country without actually stepping foot in an airport.

Of course, just exploring the game’s remarkably detailed cityscapes isn’t the only thing to do outside of pushing forward with the main story – over a hundred sub-missions will open up to the player over the course of the game, with themes that range from silly (running from a lustful crossdresser) to serious (investigating a local tea shop murder) to romantic (helping a buddy reunite with an old flame). And, as fans of the Yakuza series already know, there are dozens of ways to keep yourself entertained when taking a break from completing missions or advancing the story. Want to go bowling? It’s in there. How about golf, billiards, darts, or just a quick trip to the batting cages? Go right ahead. How about some gambling? Poker, blackjack, roulette… even traditional Japanese gambling games such as chinchirorin (a sort of Japanese version of craps) – all in. Heck, go grab a hostess girl (seven of which are digital recreations of actual Japanese Ageha models) and sing some karaoke together.

Quite frankly guys. The Uncharted and Yakuza series are my two most favorite series.

I loved the first two Yakuza games but Yakuza 3 just blows them out of the water.

SO MUCH TO DO.

I'm gonna' go karaoke. :)

yakuza3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read about the additional cuts to the game (about another 10 side missions from chapters 3-4)....
Nearly regret my purchase now, I could deal with the hostess clubs, gritted my teeth when realizing majong and shogi were gone, but now these additional side mission cuts have me feeling pretty sick about it.

It was exactly those kind of silly side missions that I love about the first two games...
Some of them even involved running gags with characters from the other 3 games.

[quote name='dallow']I just read about the additional cuts to the game (about another 10 side missions from chapters 3-4)....
Nearly regret my purchase now, I could deal with the hostess clubs, gritted my teeth when realizing majong and shogi were gone, but now these additional side mission cuts have me feeling pretty sick about it.

It was exactly those kind of silly side missions that I love about the first two games...
Some of them even involved running gags with characters from the other 3 games.[/QUOTE]

Apparently there was something regarding Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan! which would have gone over everyone's head and some pedophile/incest stuff.

[quote name='dallow']I just read about the additional cuts to the game (about another 10 side missions from chapters 3-4)....

Some of them even involved running gags with characters from the other 3 games.[/QUOTE]

You should return it. That is an outrage.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']You should return it. That is an outrage.[/QUOTE]

He should play the game. The game is huge as it is and quite frankly is freakin' awesome. It's over a 100 hour game.

If there are enough sales - I'm sure that stuff will get added back in.

I'll still play it, nearly done with Yakuza 2.

It's not a hundred hour game though, took about 70 hours to plat the Japanese version.
Gonna be about 55 for the American version now.

As much as Sega of America sucks, Kazuma Kiryu is still too cool for me to ignore.

my copy just came in the mail but I read about the other cuts now. :( debating if I should wait and see if Sega ever comes out with some kind of announcement for this. I loved the first 2 but I don't know if I want to support this practice. Sega's silence on this is infuriating beyond belief.

I'm really enjoying the opening hours with Kazuma running the orphanage.

It's really cool to see him taking care of the kids and their problems at school, etc. I've got a lot of respect for him as a character.

As has been mentioned in other places.. this game has a special genre..

Kazuma Kiryu Simulator

edit:

I understand the frustration over the cuts, but if it was make the few cuts that they did make or not release the game here.. I think they made the right decision. I felt it was necessary to support the fact that Sega brought the game over and left the original vocal track and translated in subtitles and text blocks. (It may have been lack of budget or laziness that were responsible for the game not getting a dub, but this is the route they should have taken with the other two games, imho.) Seeing it subbed in English seems like the best way to play it. After all, it is a Japanese game that takes place in Japan and features Japanese characters. It seems only fitting that they speak Japanese.

Just got my copy from Fry's Electronics. It is on sale for $53 and it seems the the sale is only for today. All the talk about the cuts seems valid and while I'm not pleased with them I wholly support Sega (this time) for getting us a (even if it is cut) localized version. Hope there's some free DLC down the line that restores the side missions and hostess club. I'll loved Yakuza 2 so I don't think I'll regret picking this one up.

[quote name='Dogmeat26']my copy just came in the mail but I read about the other cuts now. :( debating if I should wait and see if Sega ever comes out with some kind of announcement for this. I loved the first 2 but I don't know if I want to support this practice. Sega's silence on this is infuriating beyond belief.[/QUOTE]

Throw Away Your Yakuza 3s, Lets Go Into The Streets!!!

Geez, all you guys complaining about the cuts n stuff, support Sega so we have some hope of getting Yakuza 4.

I should be getting my copy of Y3 tomorrow in the mail.

I have my copy sealed and sitting here. Just want to get through Yakuza 2 again with my cousin before we go through the American version of 3.

I ended up getting Yakuza 3 despite the cuts. I hope they will release the cut stuff as FREE DLC in the future. I almost didn't get the game, but since I had gamestop credit from their nice trade in deal, I decided to bite. Sega should thank Gamestop for my sale.

It seems that Best Buy did not receive the copies with the Free DLC card that was supposed to be included with all the first pressing of this game (this is different from the Gamestop Challenge Pack DLC). I was really disappointed after I opened it and could not find the card so now I need to try to exchange it for another copy but my friend also said his copy from Best Buy was also missing the card.

Yakuza 4 won't be worth it if they F it up like they did 3, I'm considering now the Japanese version and the Guide Patrick made on Gamefaqs he even has a guide for Kenzan so I may be checking out his guide to see if I like it.

I'll post more cuts in my thread once I get word of them, sadly there are many more.

If it came down to Y4 coming here with a few missions cut that I probably wouldn't play anyways vs not at all, I'd much rather have it.

Well looks like I have to wait a bit for my Yakuza 3 & 4 bundle, EMS takes 2-3 days so I will get them on the 22nd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally getting into the game. Still suck at fighting. I think it's the way you have to hold down R1 and hit X to jump back. I wish they would have just let you use the right analog stick to jump back, or made it so you can lock on. You can hold R1 down for a quasi-lock on, but the camera doesn't stay behind you so it totally defeats the purpose.

Other than the fighting mechanic, I like the game. I don't care about the hostess club stuff being cut, but would like to be able to play Mahjong.

Someone please tell me where to buy weapons. I'm in Ch. 3 or 4, in Okinawa.

[quote name='dallow']Fuuuuuuuuck, even more cut missions in Chapter 5.....

:groan:[/QUOTE]

It's tough a spot to be in, y'know? There's a part of me that agrees with the "let's support Sega" argument here. They brought the game here in response to what is an admittedly persistent vocal minority of gamers. They'll probably sell 40-50K copies of this at best.

But, while I don't mind the hostess club/quiz stuff being cut, I'm kinda angry that Sega wasn't on the level with us. They cut, it appears, *much* more than they admitted to. They're giving us less of a game than they promised. It's not about time or portions or "how much" was cut. It's that they weren't straight with gamers. They said things were cut, and by virtue of omission, we were led to believe that was *all* that was cut. And that's clearly not the case.

And they get a self-fulfilling prophecy in the end. Sales are virtually a lock to be poor for a number of reasons:
1) released the same day as FFXIII
2) a niche title that only appeals to a small, small number of gamers who own the least popular current-gen console in the US
3) they've managed to alienate the only people who were going to buy the game to begin with by cutting parts of the game out
4) they're further alienated that niche by cutting more from the game than they let on
5) they have the gall to do all of the above and retail at $59.99

I can't think of a single positive step Sega made in bringing Yakuza stateside. I'm beginning to think they're worse off bringing it out here rather than not at all.

This really sucks. What's their excuse for these other pieces of cut missions? did it have things we wouldn't understand? time issues? translation issues?

Couldn't Sega just have said at the beginning that not every mission in the Japanese version would appear. Urgh!

I'm probably still keeping my game. However, if they do end up releasing Yakuza 4(which i heavily doubt), I probably won't buy it if there are any cuts.

fuck Sega! I should have just bought the JP version a long time ago instead of waiting for it to be released in the US. At least I would have had time to play the full version instead of this content-missing Eng release >.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']This really sucks. What's their excuse for these other pieces of cut missions? did it have things we wouldn't understand? time issues? translation issues?

Couldn't Sega just have said at the beginning that not every mission in the Japanese version would appear. Urgh!

I'm probably still keeping my game. However, if they do end up releasing Yakuza 4(which i heavily doubt), I probably won't buy it if there are any cuts.

fuck Sega! I should have just bought the JP version a long time ago instead of waiting for it to be released in the US. At least I would have had time to play the full version instead of this content-missing Eng release >.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']

Personally, I am still surprised that Sega brought this over given the razor thin profits (and likely losses) they faced after the first two games, which even then, released to a MUCH larger potential market. Just somehting to think about (and likely disregard) as you continue to flip out...[/QUOTE]

dude, I understand all that. I understand about the costs, etc.

Hell, I said I'm keeping the game didn't I? Plus Sega in general will earn more money from me since I plan to import Yakuza 3. before I was just getting the US version since there's no point in owning two copies of what's essentially the same game. But since they cut a few side missions I'd like to see, I'm also getting the JP version. So i'm getting both western release of Yakuza and JP version!

And yeah, I'm happy that they brought it over but not happy with how they brought it over or how they're dealing with the localization. Still unlike certain people, I'm not canceling/returning/"boycotting" Yakuza 3. What i essentially meant with my previous post is that if Sega brings Yakuza 4, I won't buy it if they do the same shit they did here with Yakuza 3.

Also sorry if you thought my post was me "flipping out." I was more disappointed when I typed that then "flipping out"

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']
Also sorry if you thought my post was me "flipping out." I was more disappointed when I typed that then "flipping out"[/QUOTE]

Your post did not come across as flipping out, my apologies for lumping you in with some of the other posters. It was more directed at those who "feel sick" or are "enraged" at this "great injustice".

Im simply trying to point out how much of a stretch it is that Yakuza 3 is even being localized at all. Companies usually dont do charity, but the economics for this release really dont make sense, making this look increasingly like a "for the fans" release. In which case, all those complaining are really "looking a gift horse in the mouth" and may want to considert the context of the situation before becoming quite so enraged.

Id be interested to see what their program proposal looked like for this localization and just how many they are forecasting to sell, as that would dictate just how much money was spent on localization and subsequently, how much was cut.

I thought I might as well post the cuts here so you all can get a good look at whats missing

Mahjong and all associated text (NPC)
Shogi same as above
Massage Parlors (2 sections within)
all 10 Hostess Clubs
Answer x answer

Side quests (sadly there may be more coming soon)
Chapter 3 and 4

I Wanna Go to Tokyo pt. 1
The Brewer's Treasure
Make the No. 1 Cabaret Club Girl!
English Conversation Solicitor step 1
English Conversation Solicitor step 2
Love's Cupid
Love's Cupid Continues
Love's Cupid Continues Again
A Trip Before Marriage

Chapter 5

Manga Artist Debut (Mangaka Debut)
The Runaway Phone Chat Girl (Terekura Iede Musume)
I Wanna Go to Tokyo pt. 2
Great Genius Showdown
Is she talking about me...?
Ayukawa Rina***(a randomly cut girl you can no longer date)

I think I maybe missing something which is not suprising, idk if Convinence Store magazine browsing was cut or not and I will update anymore cuts in my thread when they are confirmed.

bread's done
Back