Yakuza 3 (PS3) $39.99 @ Best Buy

Gonna get it soon, hopefully Best Buy has a copy laying around. Almost bought it on Amazon for $55, good thing I waited.

Also, I see this thread is filled with people who obviously don't like beat-em-ups. Why are you even bothering with something that doesn't interests you? Along with the one smartass saying lack of an english dub make it a no-no. Try listening to the first one, you'll see why we prefer japanese instead.

Besides, hearing japanese honorifics in english is beyond idiotic.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just don't wait TOO long.... Took me a long time to find a complete, working Yakuza 2 recently, and it was still over MSRP with shipping. Yakuza 1 isn't nearly that rare though.[/QUOTE]

I agree, Yakuza 2 has gotten extremely difficult to find in the last six months. I lucked out when a random Gamestop I went to had a sealed copy for $20 about a month ago.

I tried the demo of this game and found it too "Japanesy" for my tastes and the brawling wasnt fun to me. But I also heard the demo wasnt a good representation of the game. But if thats the case, why put out a demo?

Sorry, dont mind me, just talking to myself over here.

OMG! The comments at the sega blog are hilarious. You would think Sega raped somebodies mother or something the way those babies are acting!! ROFL!! It's just a game people, get over it. like I said before....WELL WORTH $60!!!!!!

For anything put off by the cut content, I honestly think it is being blown way out of proportion. You absolutely will not notice anything is cut. The only way you will notice is if you come online and read about people complaining about it. This game is great and definitely worth the money. Great story, lots of side quests if you're into that, and it's kind of like a virtual tour of japan.

^the only things that make themselves obvious are the hostess clubs and the relationships with the hostesses themselves... tons of NPCs say things like "i think i'll go to the hostess club" or "gimme money for the hostess club" etc. etc. yet you never do anything with a hostess club the entire game.

after dating the girls you normally meet at the club in the japanese version (by just walking into a burger place and seeing them) you go on 2 dates , then BAM sex, the mission's over and she professes her love for you... just a bit ridiculous. not to mention the "raise her heart meter" minigame for each girl is still there despite no way of actually doing anything with it. these few sloppy cut jobs stick out pretty badly, to the point where they may as well have just cut out all the "dating" portions.

that... and paying full price for a partial game, oh wait... I just realized the thread topic, well... I meant at launch date

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JaxMoney']Game Informer gave this a 6.5 lol[/QUOTE]

As a Gamestop-owned magazine, if a game is niche and won't help Gamestop's sale, they will just give it a low score. If it is a hyped sequel they will give it a 10 no question asked.

cutting the extra content isn't a good excuse for the lack of delay this game it's just a port right? Look how long it took way of the samurai 3 to be ported (another sleep hit if your into gangster games btw)

[quote name='JaxMoney']Game Informer gave this a 6.5 lol[/QUOTE]
This guy still follows reviews like the pathetic sheep he is lol

We can play too, buddy.

[quote name='CaoPi']cutting the extra content isn't a good excuse for the lack of delay this game it's just a port right?[/QUOTE]
You mean localizing, a port would mean it went from PS3 to now being available on 360 &/or PC or whatever other console.

But yeah, Sega US doesn't know what the hell they're doing right now. Saying the game will come here 100% intact, then telling us every other week that another 1% or 2% was cut "for time/money issues". Then releasing it in the same goddamn week as FF 13, maybe even the same day? (My memory is bad)

It's like they wanted it to suck so they didn't have to localize Yakuza 4. Unless it's Sonic, it's like Sega doesn't care about any of it's other franchises. Overworks is a very awesome dev & deserves a better publisher than this.

To all the people in this thread praising Yakuza 3: does the demo do this game any justice? I thought about getting it after playing the demo and thinking to myself "Wow, that was a cool fight," but still haven't gotten around to buying the game.

[quote name='WankerJist']To all the people in this thread praising Yakuza 3: does the demo do this game any justice? I thought about getting it after playing the demo and thinking to myself "Wow, that was a cool fight," but still haven't gotten around to buying the game.[/QUOTE]

No not at all. If you just thought the demo was cool then you would really like this game.

[quote name='KrazyGunner']that... and paying full price for a partial game, oh wait... I just realized the thread topic, well... I meant at launch date[/QUOTE]

I bought it at release and it was absolutely worth it.

The cut content is nothing major to the game in any way.

[quote name='WankerJist']To all the people in this thread praising Yakuza 3: does the demo do this game any justice? I thought about getting it after playing the demo and thinking to myself "Wow, that was a cool fight," but still haven't gotten around to buying the game.[/QUOTE]

the demo is verbatim what you go through in the full game once you get to (IIRC) chapter 4. after that the game goes all out.

a word of warning, the first 3 chapters (5 hours or so) is totally boring. i did end up loving the game, but without saying much else the beginning is basically a "daddy day care" simulator. the story brings the game through, though.

be sure to watch the video recaps of the stories from 1 + 2 if you have to (they're included)

[quote name='DeathBringer']The only thing cut out are some dumb sidequests, game show, and hostress clubs.[/QUOTE]

For people like you maybe they should cut more quests since they seem dumb to western gamers like you.
Most of quests they cut are really fun and entertaining and hostess bar is one of the major part of the game play. Those cut contents can add up to more than 10 hours of gameplay.

I bought it from BestBuy, it didnt come with any codes or anything. Was it supposed to or huh? I thought it would be on disk or something

Yes, it's supposed to include the following:

Four DLC will be delivered on release day with the PAL version's Battle Pack (a.k.a. Premium Pack)[29]. These free downloadable contents are:

• Battle For Survival: Take on all the bosses of Yakuza 3 as Kazuma (previously known as "Survival Battle" in the Japanese version).
  • All-Star Tournament: 7 character tournament (completed game save file required to access content).
  • All-Star Tag Tournament: 8 team tournament (completed game save file required to access content).
  • Haruka's Request: This unique series of challenge missions will send Kazuma on a task of exploration throughout the entire Yakuza 3 world, playing minigames and entertaining Haruka (completed game save file required to access content).

Looks like for some reason this was omitted from certain (all?) copies that BB got. Not a huge deal breaker, but just a heads up...

[quote name='hbk']For people like you maybe they should cut more quests since they seem dumb to western gamers like you.
Most of quests they cut are really fun and entertaining and hostess bar is one of the major part of the game play. Those cut contents can add up to more than 10 hours of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Really, 10 hours you say? If that were true, which who can really say it is, that would mean you are only getting a 60 hour game instead of a 70 hour game. You guys keep spitting out this garbage about how much sega gutted the game and you haven't even played it! There is so much in the game that YOU WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY CUT ANYTHING!!!!

[quote name='Hibiki Rush']Looks like for some reason this was omitted from certain (all?) copies that BB got. Not a huge deal breaker, but just a heads up...[/QUOTE]

Is this only BB? Can anyone tell me if the one at Toy R Us has the dlc?

well that sux that the best buy version doesnt come with the dlc card. I guess it doesn't matter cuz it won't impact the experience/trophies, but still it sucks you cant return it or etc. oh wells

[quote name='afultz075']I agree, Yakuza 2 has gotten extremely difficult to find in the last six months. I lucked out when a random Gamestop I went to had a sealed copy for $20 about a month ago.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I bought it off GameStop used for $15. Didn't work. They sent me another copy, didn't work. They send me a third copy and it finally works! Thankfully the first copy came with the box and manual (unlike the second and third ones) so I got it complete. It was a pain. I also have two huge ass cardboard envelops by my TV with the dud games in them I have no clue what to do with. XD

I loved the Yakuza 3 demo and it's what led me to get Yakuza 1 and 2. This is why I love this generation, demos are much more accessible and no longer restricted to magazines and the such. I would have never played this series if it wasn't for Yakuza 3's demo.

[quote name='Nerv_001']Really, 10 hours you say? If that were true, which who can really say it is, that would mean you are only getting a 60 hour game instead of a 70 hour game. You guys keep spitting out this garbage about how much sega gutted the game and you haven't even played it! There is so much in the game that YOU WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY CUT ANYTHING!!!![/QUOTE]

But the point is, we do know that these things were cut. You can bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't matter, but to some of us, we see games as more than just entertainment, we see them as art on the same level as a great film or book. If I buy a DVD of a great film I have seen in the theater or one I have just heard about through word of mouth and ten minutes are missing from the DVD version, I'm not going to sit there and justify to myself that those ten minutes weren't really that important to the story, I'm going to not buy the DVD and wait until someone else comes along and sells the complete version. In this case, that probably won't ever happen, but I sure as heck am not going to spend $60 or even $40 on something that didn't have the same level of investment and care as every other $40-$60 game out there. If you're gonna sell me an incomplete game, I'm not gonna pay more than $20 for it and even then I will feel disappointed.

[quote name='Nerv_001']Really, 10 hours you say? If that were true, which who can really say it is, that would mean you are only getting a 60 hour game instead of a 70 hour game. You guys keep spitting out this garbage about how much sega gutted the game and you haven't even played it! There is so much in the game that YOU WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY CUT ANYTHING!!!![/QUOTE]

You would know if you've played any of the games in the series. You also have tons of items that have no value or purpose in this game since they cut the hostess clubs. That in itself would be a big clue that something is amiss.

The game should have 123 side quests.... your down to 101. all the dating aspect is gone. mini games and shops that was in the previous game cut. management aspect of the hostess club cut. magazines where you can flip thru the pages cut, they only let you look at the cover now.

depending on how you play this game and if your serious about the host club management function.... I would say more than 1/3rd of the game is missing.

[quote name='TypeSH']the demo is verbatim what you go through in the full game once you get to (IIRC) chapter 4. after that the game goes all out.

a word of warning, the first 3 chapters (5 hours or so) is totally boring. i did end up loving the game, but without saying much else the beginning is basically a "daddy day care" simulator. the story brings the game through, though.

be sure to watch the video recaps of the stories from 1 + 2 if you have to (they're included)[/QUOTE]

no kidding damn. it's as bad as the start of heavy rain.

the trivia quiz was cut because it has questions pertaining to Yakzua: Kenzan! (Ryu ga Gotoku: Kenzan!) which is basically Yakuza set during the Edo period of Japan I believe?... but I still would of liked to have Yakuza: Kenzan! come by stateside because I'm sure it would have done a lot better than Iron Man (seriously! who keeps buying enough of these to keep the developers for this in business)... Samurai games like Onimusha does well, eastern games like Shenmue does well if you don't consider the $70 mil budget and it has been the most requested sequel according to GameTrailers.com, and if Kenzan! came to the West then maybe we could have had the trivia portion of the game? Whatevers... I've still got mixed feelings about this, I don't know whether I should be happy that Yakuza 3 didn't suffer the same fate as Shenmue 3 (but then again, a Japanese version was produced at the very least for Yakuza 3 which I could always fall back on) or I should hate it for having cut contents... either way... I'm going to hold out and see how this whole issue plays out... or if there's a really good deal

[quote name='Hibiki Rush']Yes, it's supposed to include the following:

Four DLC will be delivered on release day with the PAL version's Battle Pack (a.k.a. Premium Pack)[29]. These free downloadable contents are:

• Battle For Survival: Take on all the bosses of Yakuza 3 as Kazuma (previously known as "Survival Battle" in the Japanese version).
  • All-Star Tournament: 7 character tournament (completed game save file required to access content).
  • All-Star Tag Tournament: 8 team tournament (completed game save file required to access content).
  • Haruka's Request: This unique series of challenge missions will send Kazuma on a task of exploration throughout the entire Yakuza 3 world, playing minigames and entertaining Haruka (completed game save file required to access content).

Looks like for some reason this was omitted from certain (all?) copies that BB got. Not a huge deal breaker, but just a heads up...[/QUOTE]

I don't think Best Buy operates in Europe, try again bro.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't think Best Buy operates in Europe, try again bro.[/QUOTE]
American (NTSC) versions also came with the DLC card; my friend got one in the box, but I didn't (I got from BestBuy, he got from Amazon).

[quote name='bojay1997']But the point is, we do know that these things were cut. You can bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't matter, but to some of us, we see games as more than just entertainment, we see them as art on the same level as a great film or book. If I buy a DVD of a great film I have seen in the theater or one I have just heard about through word of mouth and ten minutes are missing from the DVD version, I'm not going to sit there and justify to myself that those ten minutes weren't really that important to the story, I'm going to not buy the DVD and wait until someone else comes along and sells the complete version. In this case, that probably won't ever happen, but I sure as heck am not going to spend $60 or even $40 on something that didn't have the same level of investment and care as every other $40-$60 game out there. If you're gonna sell me an incomplete game, I'm not gonna pay more than $20 for it and even then I will feel disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Yes, obvious you cannot forget about the "cuts", I wasn't speaking literally. There is a LOT more to this game than 22 side missions, hostess clubs, and mahjong. How about the story to the game? I guess that is not a selling point for you.

[quote name='BettiePage']You would know if you've played any of the games in the series. You also have tons of items that have no value or purpose in this game since they cut the hostess clubs. That in itself would be a big clue that something is amiss.

The game should have 123 side quests.... your down to 101. all the dating aspect is gone. mini games and shops that was in the previous game cut. management aspect of the hostess club cut. magazines where you can flip thru the pages cut, they only let you look at the cover now.

depending on how you play this game and if your serious about the host club management function.... I would say more than 1/3rd of the game is missing.[/QUOTE]

So the main reason you play Yakuza is to go to the hostess clubs? seriously? I mean, I wish they were in the game too, but it is in no way a deal breaker. If you are that into virtual dating maybe you could try second life or something?

Also, you can still go on dates with girls so you got that part wrong.

The cuts to the game were more like 4%

I'm pretty sure everyone will get the dlc later. It was a bonus for buying it at launch. Also Gamestop gave an extra dlc.
If I remember correctly, Sega did say the dlc will be available for free later on. I'm guessing this applies to all the dlc since the code had an expiration date on it.

I got it from BB @ release and got the card.

Totally worth $60, and my import copy with Kamutai magu was totally worth the $85 I spent on it too! :p

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']I'm pretty sure everyone will get the dlc later. It was a bonus for buying it at launch. Also Gamestop gave an extra dlc.
If I remember correctly, Sega did say the dlc will be available for free later on. I'm guessing this applies to all the dlc since the code had an expiration date on it.[/QUOTE]

man, I hope so... Sega says a lot of things...

I picked this up yesterday. For some reason, it was still showing as unavailable at my BB, but when I went there were 2 copies. Thanks OP!

bread's done
Back