Yakuza: Dead Souls/OF THE END THREAD

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Tried searching, couldn't find another thread on this. So let's make this the official discussion thread. My copy is coming tomorrow. My body is ready. This better not suck; I'm worried about the controls. As long as it's playable...

[quote name='whoknows']The demo was playable, so I'm sure reviewers are over-exaggerating.

Waiting on mine to arrive as well.[/QUOTE]

You're over-exaggerating the playability of the demo.

I want to start this series, but I'm wondering how bad it would be if I just started with #3?

I tried to play a little of #1 on PS2 but it's pretty hideous looking and it got me wondering how much would I miss by just jumping to #3.

Just started it up. YES LET'S DO THIS

And I highly recommend playing them all, in order. Don't start with 3. A lot of 3 relies on characters and plot points from the first 2.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just started it up. YES LET'S DO THIS

And I highly recommend playing them all, in order. Don't start with 3. A lot of 3 relies on characters and plot points from the first 2.[/QUOTE]
I agree.

Sure you can watch the recaps of the first two games, but it's really not the same nor as good as playing through them.

[quote name='Indignate']You're over-exaggerating the playability of the demo.[/QUOTE]

yeah no shit the yakuza franchise isnt known for its smooth controls anyway but it works for what it is as a shooter they suck. its one thing to do this type of game in that world but to use the same everything to make it happen isnt. they should have made adjustments to make the controls work better but if the demo is any indication they didnt and wont but their fans will buy it anyway.

ill check out the story on youtube but after slogging my way through y4 im yakuzad out.

Loving this so far. Wish I didn't have to stop to go to bed for work in the morning. :( The sidequests are as krazy as ever and the game is extremely playable in Easy Mode- it's like playing an arcade shoot-em-up. Anyone else remember Zombie Revenge from Sega? ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Anyone else remember Zombie Revenge from Sega? ;)[/QUOTE]

That game was fucking CRAP. The only reason I rented it was because Hollywood Video didn't have House of the Dead 2. BOO!

So how is Yakuza: Dead Souls? I just finished Yakuza 3 awhile back and was thinking of getting this or jumping into Yakuza 4.

I just watched the IGN review for this game, which made me feel a little better that I didn't drop full MSRP on this game. The aiming/shooting mechanic that bad?

One thing I didn't see yet was actual hand to hand combat. I loved that part about beating up people in the Yakuza series with special heat moves. I mean, I saw in videos of being able to pick up bicycles, but no punching, kicking or using swords/staff weapons.

Yeah, Zombie Revenge was crap, hence the ;).

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']So how is Yakuza: Dead Souls? I just finished Yakuza 3 awhile back and was thinking of getting this or jumping into Yakuza 4.

I just watched the IGN review for this game, which made me feel a little better that I didn't drop full MSRP on this game. The aiming/shooting mechanic that bad?

One thing I didn't see yet was actual hand to hand combat. I loved that part about beating up people in the Yakuza series with special heat moves. I mean, I saw in videos of being able to pick up bicycles, but no punching, kicking or using swords/staff weapons.[/QUOTE]

I am liking it a lot so far, as per my post.

No it isn't that bad. Honestly I prefer it to the modern aiming systems of dedicated shooters.

No hand to hand as far as I know. Yes you can pick up things though.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, Zombie Revenge was crap, hence the ;).

I am liking it a lot so far, as per my post.

No it isn't that bad. Honestly I prefer it to the modern aiming systems of dedicated shooters.

No hand to hand as far as I know. Yes you can pick up things though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah saw stuff being picked up. I watched a few more reviews and still haven't seen any hand to hand combat.

I find it strange that a staple of the Yakuza series that being punching and kicking isn't really found in this game. Who doesn't want to do a multiple punch combo on a zombie QTE? Turning the zombie into a punching bag.

It looks like you might be able to do something hand to hand, there's a later skill that Akiyama has. I dunno if it's just a special move or what though.

I made a thread, but I'll let it slide because it's DoK. ;] I very much want it, but I R brokes. D:

Couldn't find the thread, sorry man.

Still fucking loving this game. Nearing the end though- I'm on the last character. I don't mind the controls for the most part- I think it's because I'm left-handed, so the left analog stick aiming actually works great for me, unlike most shooters.

If you are a Yakuza fan, it's a must-buy. If not, stay the fuck away, especially if you are a fan of dudebro shooters.

Also, hand-to-hand combat does come into play later, but it's kinda spoilerish. It's not a big part of the game though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished the game. FANTASTIC. Akiyama and Majima are pretty much the greatest characters in the history of videogames. There were a lot of great moments in the ending, some hilarious, to go along with the normal Yakuza tropes. Really enjoyed this. Any Yakuza fan needs to play this, don't even listen to the bullshit reviews; they aren't for you.

Now back to Tales of Graces f, which I only played a couple hours of before this. I'm sure it won't live up to the very high bar of awesome this game set.

bread's done
Back