YAY another one of those look at how cool I am topics.....

Prepster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
Alright, went hunting for games when I was out of town, and came across some gems. All came from the Goodwill store which were Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Starfox,Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and Super Mario All Stars.

Also on the way home from Wisconson we stopped in a lil town and saw a garage sale and had to check that out after reading all the great stories on here about all the great stuff people find. Anyways, I went up to ask the lady if she had any video games and then she replied "I think I have some POS laying in the basement" So she has one of her friends go to the basement and get it, to my surprise its a ps2, but the disc try is jammed so it wont close. The lady wanted $50 for it! But told her this thing couldn't be worth more than $10 and offered her that and she glady accepted.

Btw the system also came with 3 games, Spawn, Nfl Street, and LOTR: ROTK. Is there anyway I can fix the disc tray so it closes, so I can actually use it.

You might be able to take the PS2 apart & fix the door. I know my sister's boyfriend had the same problem with his PS2 as when you tried to open the tray something was blocking it so that it was jammed but you could hear it was trying to open. I took the PS2 apart & took the tray out (which can be taken right out once you open up the DVD drive part of the PS2) I put it back in with the gears in alignment as it should be & it worked fine. I didn't notice anything blocking the tray when I took PS2 apart so I'm thinking that maybe it got knocked out of place (the DVD tray) instead of something that was physically blocking it from ejecting. This system got messed up when a cat knocked it over & it fell about 3 or 4 feet.

Also this is an old model PS2 but I'm assuming that you picked up an older model at this yardsale :D

You will have to let us know if you have any luck fixing the PS2 if you do try opening it as $10 is a steal if you can get it working even with the labor on your part :)

Alright, thanks for responding! Where exactly do I open it up from?? by the security tag?? And yes it's an old model one lol.

[quote name='Prepster']Where can I purcahse one of these top loading covers? Any B&M stores that you could name?[/QUOTE]

In hell where your going for ripping off that old lady!!!

J/k

Go to play-asia.com or estarland.com they have them.

[quote name='the3rdkey']In hell where your going for ripping off that old lady!!!

J/k

Go to play-asia.com or estarland.com they have them.[/QUOTE]

Lol, she wasn't that old, maybe in her late 30's, and thanks for the info. But are there any B&M stores that sell these things?

Use a hammer ;)

actually check under the stickers and or rubber feets, thats where they are usually placed, and you may need a bit to open it up.. im sure you can find detailed instructions with the google.

[quote name='Prepster']Alright, thanks for responding! Where exactly do I open it up from?? by the security tag?? And yes it's an old model one lol.[/QUOTE]

I did forget to mention that you will probably need a really small phillips head screwdriver for some of the smaller screws on the inside where the DVD drive is assuming that it's the same for all the old model PS2 systems which I'm guessing it is.

As Theenternal mentioned I had to take off all the rubber feet to get to the screws on the outer case. This was the first PS2 I've ever taken apart (I figured why not what do I got to lose as it wasen't my PS2 :D) it took abit as I was figuring how to get to the inside of the DVD drive myself but it wasen't to hard.

Send it to Sony - whatever they charge will probably only be a few dollars assuming it really is only a broken tray. It would still be a steal to get a working PS2 for less than $50.

Perhaps you can get the system to give you a disc read error, in which case it would qualify for Sony's free repair. My neighbor's disc gray got stuck in the closed position, but it gave disc read errors in the process and qualified for Sony's free repair. Thus, it just cost shipping to get it fixed. :D

[quote name='Prepster']Thanks everyone, going to try my luck at opening it up, but if I tear the seal, does that void Sony fixing it for cheap?[/QUOTE]

Obviously...

Ok just opened it up and I'm pretty sure the reason it wont close it because when the disc tray trys to close, it hits the part where you put the cd on, and I'm not really sure how to make it so that I can stop it from coming up so quick.... any ideas?

Do you need us to hold your hand through everything? Take the CD tray off or find a guide online. If you screw it up, it's only $10 lost, but I think it's pretty hard to screw up.

Come on, if I can take apart my PS2 and manually realign the CD tray, you can, too. Just look around the area and fix it.

There's a complete video here if you feel like paying $10. Or try your luck here. Either way, have fun.

[quote name='Prepster']Ok just opened it up and I'm pretty sure the reason it wont close it because when the disc tray trys to close, it hits the part where you put the cd on, and I'm not really sure how to make it so that I can stop it from coming up so quick.... any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I have a site for toploading trays bookmarked, but I'm not home. Just google top loading ps2 cover or something... playasia or liksang might have one.

[quote name='Scorch']Do you need us to hold your hand through everything? Take the CD tray off or find a guide online. If you screw it up, it's only $10 lost, but I think it's pretty hard to screw up.

Come on, if I can take apart my PS2 and manually realign the CD tray, you can, too. Just look around the area and fix it.

There's a complete video here if you feel like paying $10. Or try your luck here. Either way, have fun.[/QUOTE]

Lol sry, but I fixed it, by just hitting some white part of the cd tray and the cd tray finally closed, thanks everyone, even you Scorch for your wise words :applause:

bread's done
Back