Yellowstone Supervolcano Threatens Yogi Bear

Chase

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
...and us, apparently.

11llxcz.gif

I don't suppose we have any geologists who would care enough to provide some balance to the sensationalism done by the news-- But yes, Yellowstone earthquake swarms continue. Some people think a supervolcano eruption is nigh. Perhaps I should buy a tarp? :whistle2:k

Oh man, I'm either just inside that blast radius (or whatever the hell that's supposed to represent) or just outside it. This is gonna be a close one.

Damn...Looks like Southern Cali would be spared. Well at least there's still the san andreas faultline to rely on...good ol' big one should be coming soon as well to kill off the rest of cali.

Well I am on the east coast near Washington DC, so I am safe from that explosion...however I am just outside of the effected zone IF a nuclear device goes off next week.

Old news, kinda. This is one of those one in a 100 million year type event. Everybody would probably be dead if it were to go off. That being said, woot, I'm safe from the blast and Alaska will probably become a nice place to live after all.

[quote name='Thongsy']Old news, kinda. This is one of those one in a 100 million year type event. Everybody would probably be dead if it were to go off. That being said, woot, I'm safe from the blast and Alaska will probably become a nice place to live after all.[/quote]

Until the Chinamen invade ;)

[quote name='Rocko']Finally something that makes Florida beneficial.[/quote]

:rofl:

Until the Cubans do another mass Exodus.

Best thread title for a horrific, catastrophic event ever!

And sorry to be a downer, but Yogi lives in Jellystone National Park.

[quote name='bardockkun']Best thread title for a horrific, catastrophic event ever!

And sorry to be a downer, but Yogi lives in Jellystone National Park.[/quote]

Hey! You suck. :oops:

[quote name='SpazX']You mean a supertarp.[/quote]

Ah, yes. That is a much better idea. :whistle2:k

And is it wrong that I forgot about Montana until I saw the map? It makes me wonder why the U.S. hasn't yet sold it to help pay off its debt. Sure, it would only be two dollars, but every dollar counts, right? ;)

Oh god... it's going to happen. Finally... I'm screwed.

Oh yeah and socal, ur already goin to hell so you'll get ur share. like the 5.0 preview you had.

[quote name='Chase']Hey! You suck. :oops:
[/quote]
Believe it or not, sometimes it helps to learn from early Cartoon Network. It's how no pic-a-nic baskets have been stolen from me
...recently
...about a month ago...
Alright, just yesterday. SO WHAT?! THIS BEAR WAS SMARTER THEN THE AVERAGE BEAR SO IT DOESN'T COUNT!

Yay! I would be safe here in Texas.

Of course the effects of this happening would cause complete chaos and everybody would be suffering from it.

[quote name='Thongsy']Old news, kinda. This is one of those one in a 100 million year type event. Everybody would probably be dead if it were to go off. That being said, woot, I'm safe from the blast and Alaska will probably become a nice place to live after all.[/QUOTE]

Approximately 500,000 year cycle, actually. So it comes around fairly often, on the scale of planetary events.

To put it another way, this thing has gone off many times in the period since the dinosaurs declined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Discover Channel has a nifty piece they frequently run on this. From their site:
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/supervolcano/under/under.html

Keep in mind, being outside that radius only means you aren't likely to die within the first hour. Without extraordinary protection, there probably wouldn't be a single living human between South America and the Arctic Circle within a few days of the eruption. Weather worldwide would get pretty wild and the amount of material ejected into the atmosphere would have major effects. Krakatoa in 1883 created what was called 'the year without a summer.' The concept of Nuclear Winter was inspired by that event.

A Yeelowstone eruption would be far more severe, causing crop failures around the world and mass starvation on top of the already devastating loss of US agricultural output.

[quote name='epobirs']Discover Channel has a nifty piece they frequently run on this. From their site:
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/supervolcano/under/under.html

Keep in mind, being outside that radius only means you aren't likely to die within the first hour. Without extraordinary protection, there probably wouldn't be a single living human between South America and the Arctic Circle within a few days of the eruption. Weather worldwide would get pretty wild and the amount of material ejected into the atmosphere would have major effects. Krakatoa in 1883 created what was called 'the year without a summer.' The concept of Nuclear Winter was inspired by that event.

A Yeelowstone eruption would be far more severe, causing crop failures around the world and mass starvation on top of the already devastating loss of US agricultural output.[/quote]

Whatever:
cup_noodles.JPG

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Darnit! Idaho will be destroyed...Where will I get my potatoes????[/quote]

Give Michigan a try.

bread's done
Back