Yessir, I am finished with Outpost.com for good

PsyClerk

CAGiversary!
I had pre-ordered DOA Ultimate and Ace Combat 5 from Outpost.com a few weeks ago. After getting the standard 'your item is backordered, we will cancel this order in 30 days unless you call us' email concerning DOA, then hearing about trouble from other CAGs, I decided to call.

Person I spoke with wanted to check the release date. Their exact words: "The release date I have is....two days prior. To today. We still don't have it and we don't know when we'll get this shipment in." No wonder their prices are $15-$20 cheaper then other places.

I normally don't mind waiting on most games, but I'm a huge Ace Combat fan and I expected lots of good DOA action on XBL. Now I have no idea when I'll get to play them (unless I cancel and decide to cough up $50 a shot). I want to say I've ordered from Outpost in the past and it was nowhere near this incompetent. I just can't see how you can operate when 100% of your competitors get products before you do and can also give you information as to when you can expect to receive it.

Ah well. Caveat emptor.

Wow, talk about impatient. They usually ship no later than 5 days after the game came out. For nearly 15 bucks cheaper, damn right I'll wait a few extra days.

I also got the email on DOAU, but I am going to wait it out. I want some XBL action, but I can wait for it. Although, it does piss me off a little bit, since I got in on the deal very early.

I think the frustrating part he's getting at is the "we don't know when we'll have it" line - I'm having the same issue with FYE on "GTA: SA" right now. I pre-ordered and of course it's showing as "out of stock" - but a call to them got me the exact same answers, "It's not in and we don't know when we'll get it." If they could tell me it would be two weeks, I'd happily wait it out - at least then I've got a date and something to look forward to. "We don't know..." is ridiculous - if you don't know and can't manage the orders, why were you accepting pre-orders?

[quote name='Scorch']Wow, talk about impatient. They usually ship no later than 5 days after the game came out. For nearly 15 bucks cheaper, damn right I'll wait a few extra days.[/quote]

Seeing as how they said they don't know when it'll show up, I have to take your 5 day timeline with a grain of salt.

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='Scorch']Wow, talk about impatient. They usually ship no later than 5 days after the game came out. For nearly 15 bucks cheaper, damn right I'll wait a few extra days.[/quote]

Seeing as how they said they don't know when it'll show up, I have to take your 5 day timeline with a grain of salt.[/quote]

You'll take the word of some employee that probably doesn't even know what DOA Ultimate is over the word of a guy who's bought and received games from the site?

..wow, um, okay then.

[quote name='cruster']I think the frustrating part he's getting at is the "we don't know when we'll have it" line - I'm having the same issue with FYE on "GTA: SA" right now. I pre-ordered and of course it's showing as "out of stock" - but a call to them got me the exact same answers, "It's not in and we don't know when we'll get it." If they could tell me it would be two weeks, I'd happily wait it out - at least then I've got a date and something to look forward to. "We don't know..." is ridiculous - if you don't know and can't manage the orders, why were you accepting pre-orders?[/quote]

Exactamundo. Couple this with the 'we take pre-orders but if you pre-order more than 30 days from release, we'll cancel your order anyways' policy, and I don't see how anyone could NOT be miffed.

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='Scorch']Wow, talk about impatient. They usually ship no later than 5 days after the game came out. For nearly 15 bucks cheaper, damn right I'll wait a few extra days.[/quote]

Seeing as how they said they don't know when it'll show up, I have to take your 5 day timeline with a grain of salt.[/quote]

i ordered gta:sa, it shipped tuesday and was at my door today, id say thats pretty good service.

[quote name='Scorch']You'll take the word of some employee that probably doesn't even know what DOA Ultimate is over the word of a guy who's bought and received games from the site?

..wow, um, okay then.[/quote]

I imagine the employee would have slightly more accurate data concerning shipments rather than some random dude on a message board who make every effort to come off as an obnoxious prick.

One does not need to know WHAT a game is in order to know when they will receive it. Same goes for the thousands of other things Outpost has for sale. Or do you think CSRs should be experts in every item offered?

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='Scorch']You'll take the word of some employee that probably doesn't even know what DOA Ultimate is over the word of a guy who's bought and received games from the site?

..wow, um, okay then.[/quote]

I imagine the employee would have slightly more accurate data concerning shipments rather than some random dude on a message board who make every effort to come off as an obnoxious prick.

One does not need to know WHAT a game is in order to know when they will receive it. Same goes for the thousands of other things Outpost has for sale. Or do you think CSRs should be experts in every item offered?[/quote]

I think they should know a bit about the product, yes, I've been quite bitter since I saw a christmast-help employee at the local EB tell a guy that "Steel Batallion: Line of Contact" isn't out yet and he's not sure when it's coming out, even though it was already out and on the shelf for $19. I'm not trying to come off as an obnoxious prick, and if that's the way it seems, I'm sorry, but to say you've "had it" with outpost.com for a game that shipped from Tecmo yesterday is a bit asinine.

Not directly related but yesterday I hit TRU for the buy 2 get one sale and the guy told me the seperate bongos for the gamecube wouldnt be out till November.....

I then let him know that they are already out and readily available.

He then explained that this is what happens all the time at TRU and he comes into contact with many pissed off customers who "preorder" their games and come in on release date to find out that their store wont get it in until about 5 days from release date as its channeled through their wharehouse or whatever first then sent to the individual stores.

He says all the management pushes preorders but then they dont realise the people that preorder want their games on release not 5 days later.

[quote name='punqsux']
i ordered gta:sa, it shipped tuesday and was at my door today, id say thats pretty good service.[/quote]

Yup, got my GTA today as well.

Not directly related but yesterday I hit TRU for the buy 2 get one sale and the guy told me the seperate bongos for the gamecube wouldnt be out till November.....

I then let him know that they are already out and readily available.

He then explained that this is what happens all the time at TRU and he comes into contact with many pissed off customers who "preorder" their games and come in on release date to find out that their store wont get it in until about 5 days from release date as its channeled through their wharehouse or whatever first then sent to the individual stores.

He says all the management pushes preorders but then they dont realise the people that preorder want their games on release not 5 days later.
Plain and simple, there are some stores that just don't udnerstand how important it is for a customer to get their game, especially preorders, on the day that all of their friends do. This is why on the rare occasion I really really want a game badly enough to preorder, I suck it up and go to my local Gamestop. I really don't like most of them, and I hate waiting with some of those people, but at least most of them are nerds too who understand how important that game is on release day.
Little off topic, how is WalMart at preordering, never done it but do they get games in same day as EB, etc.

I don't think Wal-Mart does preorders.

Games are, from what I understand, actually released on Thursdays.. the stores that get them on Tuesdays are the ones that get them direct or something, which might be why EB and Gamespot usually have stuff before everyone else.

Either that, or Rhino just sucks.

Stop complaining. If you can't wait a week to save $15 -$20, then buy it full price. If you really wanted AC5, you should have gone to GS or EB and preordered it there. You pay a premium for a reason.

If it was only a $5 difference, I would shaq-fu Outpost and buy it instore otherwise I can wait. But for for $15-$20 off, I can definatly wait.

With the pre-orders I had from Outpost.com, all of them shipped within 5 days of general release. As I was being a CAG, I put down value/ground shipping, so it took 3-4 days for it to show up.

Did this on the following, and when they shipped versus when they were released:

Silent Hill 4 - shipped 4 days after general release
Paper Mario 2 - shipped 3 days after general release
Kingdom Under Fire - shipped 5 days after general release
Otogi 2 - shipped 3 days after general release

This is what I paid for them versus retail price:
Silent Hill 4 - $26.99 @ Outpost vs. $39.99 retail
Paper Mario 4 - $34.99 @ Outpost vs. $49.99 retail
Kingdom Under Fire - $23.66 @ Outpost vs. $39.99 retail
Otogi 2 - $26.99 @ Outpost vs. $39.99 retail

I have the following outstanding pre-orders with them:
Metroid Prime 2 @ $39.99
DOA: U @ $37.99 w/free shipping

When I would get their "out of stock" emails, I would reply to them with a direct email telling them that I would wait for the item until it shipped and not to cancel the order under any circumstances.

Yes, I'm waiting 3-5 past release point for the game to be shipped, plus 3-4 days beyond that point to get it. I'm bundling up multiple items into one order, so the shipping charge ends up being $2-$2.something per order.

For what I'm saving, I'll sit on my hands and wait. If I want it at time of release, I'll go pay full price for it at retail.

Yes, I will admit that the times I spoke with the people at Outpost, they're a little lacking in the clue department, but I think they are getting better.

When I order from Outpost.com, it's usually because I want it for cheap cheap and don't mind waiting for it. Assuming they'll have clue one about everything isn't what I assume out of them.

With the amount of game release dates that have slid, I'm surprised anyone is making any commitments on when they get stuff in. TRU, EBGames, Gamestop, just to name a few, have expressed their irritation in date slipping. Can't blame them for that.

I gotta side with Scorch on this one. If I want it now, there's plenty of retail B&M stores to take my money. If I want it for cheaper than retail price, then I'll go order it from Outpost.com, as well as some other spots on the 'net.

this is yet another reason I don't do pre-orders. You never really know if you store will get it the day you want. I'd rather visit some message boards and find out what stores got the game early and already have it in stock.

Also I live close to a frys so I can usually get the Outpost.com prices B&M.

Oh and let me just say, that Frys has poor service. If your not returning an item then your not going to get help at the store. If you want info on a product then don't go to frys to look for it. When you walk into that store you better be damn sure of what you want to buy because your not going to find people like at BB asking you if you need help.

Just go buy the game from somewhere and when your game arrives just return it with the rciept from the one you bought locally.

Gratification now and still save your money.

[quote name='Scorch']I don't think Wal-Mart does preorders.

Games are, from what I understand, actually released on Thursdays.. the stores that get them on Tuesdays are the ones that get them direct or something, which might be why EB and Gamespot usually have stuff before everyone else.

Either that, or Rhino just sucks.[/quote]

Where have you been? Wal-Mart has done preorders for quite some time! At the three Wal-Marts I regularly shop at, they all offer pre-orders. They usually get their games on Tuesday.

[quote name='DX']Just go buy the game from somewhere and when your game arrives just return it with the rciept from the one you bought locally.

Gratification now and still save your money.[/quote]

You know might as well have PMed JSweeney with that one.

Scorch: I have to hand it to you, I expected something condescending from you but I was wrong. I applaud you for it (and yes, I'm not in smartass mode for once).

The rest of you: I'm not bothered by the wait as much as I am the general handling of the order. It's kind of like when you expect to be off work one day, then the boss tells you the day before that he needs you to come in. Sure, all you had planned to do was slack off the next day, but dammit, were you not looking forward to that slacking off? Similar principle here.

Had I known they wouldn't have it on release day, I might have reconsidered pre-ordering from them. Had I known that they automatically cancel orders that aren't filled in two weeks, that too would have affected my decision.

And now what's more maddening: GTA:SA, Ace Combat 5, and DOA:Ultimate all came out on the same day. GTA ships, the others apparently didn't. Why? That sort of inconsistency bothers me.

Finally, I'll admit one of the big reasons I was hoping to get these in soon is because Halo 2 AND MGS3 are due out in November, and I know once I get those two, the rest of my games will be gathering dust for a while. (for the record, I have Halo 2 fully pre-paid at an EB B&M, and will be driving two hours round trip to pick it up on the 9th)

And yes, before it's asked, the CAG in me prevents me from cancelling with Outpost, because hey, new games for like $30-$35. I just won't likely be doing it again.

bread's done
Back