Yet another buyer frustration *UPDATE

spidey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I sold a textbook which I listed by ISBN number at Half.com. Someone purchased it over a month ago and I get an email today saying that they want to return the book because it wasn't the one that they wanted.

Half.com's policies says nothing about having to issue a refund because the buyer purchased the wrong book.

Should I be a nice guy?

Update: So I kindly explain to this person that I cannot issue a refund because they purchased the wrong book. I get a reply saying that she wants to return it now because it is in worse condition than described. Geez. Some people don't give up. I told her nicely to contact Half.com.

I hope Half.com doesn't side with idiot buyers.

nope, way too much time has passed- plus - its not your responsibility to read their mind to see what they want ;)

Just save the email so you can forward it to half if they ever contact you.

My guess is that she dropped the class and the bookstore won't accept it.

I've actually had this happen to me before. It's really better to just let them return the book and try to sell it again. If you don't let them return it and the buyer files a claim, half.com may force you to refund them and if they do then the buyer DOES NOT have to return the book before they get their refund. So potentially you could be out not only the cash, but your book as well.

Since we are on the subject...

Did you all know that textbook is a multi-million dollar CUT-THROAT industry?! The publishers control the prices according to how many individuals demand a college degree: the more people attend college, the higher the price of the books (scary! because we go to school to get a degree, not to be used for profit like gerbils and now, the babies of the baby boomers' babies - that's us - the majority wants to go to college). I found out the summer I worked at my university textbook service. The programs of colleges with the most political influence (usually physical sciences, like bio, chem, physics, and SOME social sciences, psych) get to order textbooks every new school year, if the school has funding. That's why you walk by the textbook service and sometimes you see a new book you just used last semester on sale for $0.50 each, in a big pile of 100 or so books. Wanna know where the rest of the 900 went? I'll tell you: I was ordered to take them out to the recycle bin. I asked "Why sell them for 50 cents when you can hand hundreds out for free, especially to the psych students who can start their own library?" I was told in plain English that $0.50 x 100 = $50.00 and there was no space to conduct a free giveaway (yeah, but there's a space for selling, go figure). And after asking the boss in a cocky way "Why not donate it to the nearby inner cities?" He said "If you wanna do the work *giggles*"

Just thought I would share a piece of (ugly) real-world knowledge, something actually useful I learned in college...

bread's done
Back