Yet another "I'm going to Japan" thread

[quote name='Strell']Great good, great people, great stuff to see. Just an entirely different world in terms of how one views themself here versus over in the states. But that's another story entirely.[/quote]
I know exactly what you mean. It seems everyone knows their place in Japanese society. Even the rebels aren't all that rebellious outside of their appearance, and everyone respects one another. I still haven't been able to put what Japan is really like into words, but it is definitely a place like no other.

I'm happy to hear you're having a good time. Have you tried any Chu-hai yet? I will pay you to bring some back and ship it to me! I miss the fucking stuff like crazy.

P.S.: Expect reverse culture shock when you return to the States.

[quote name='theHeat']
P.S.: Expect reverse culture shock when you return to the States.[/QUOTE]

For a while I lived on the southern border of Texas, so it was heavily Mexican in population.

Just driving back up to College Station and going into a Walmart was a huge shock, and this only after being down there for a few months.

So even though this trip isn't nearly as long as I lived down there, I imagine the sheer magnitude will match the feeling pound for pound, and thus will raze my psyche to shreds when I finally invade the States once again.

I'll have to look up Chu-yai. It's possible I've had some and just don't know it. Food has been varied but tasty overall, while my drinks have been fairly low-end. But there's plenty of nights to remedy that.

Dallow: Maybe.

Do you know how many dollars....pounds...U-rowz it will cost to send you something?

10 tea time's worth of scones, chap!

I could get you a compeltely naked little figurine statue and you could pretend it was Peach.

But she'd definitely be missing her panties. And most other clothes.

I'm off to sleep. Tomorrow is the day before a wedding, meaning it's going to be a long - and drunk - night.

The next night will probably be just like it too.

[quote name='Strell']Awwwwwww, I can't say no to that face.[/quote]
image.php
image.php
image.php

I CAN say no to that face. Maybe that should be part of the deal, dallowchan - new avatar.

I'm off to get some more gashapon goodies. :]

[quote name='Strell']I CAN say no to that face. Maybe that should be part of the deal, dallowchan - new avatar.

I'm off to get some more gashapon goodies. :][/quote]
You can pick a new one for a week. maybe longer. :)

Hey, go visit the places Morrissey visited while in Japan
m-tokyo91.jpg
!

[quote name='Strell']For a while I lived on the southern border of Texas, so it was heavily Mexican in population.

Just driving back up to College Station and going into a Walmart was a huge shock, and this only after being down there for a few months.

So even though this trip isn't nearly as long as I lived down there, I imagine the sheer magnitude will match the feeling pound for pound, and thus will raze my psyche to shreds when I finally invade the States once again.

I'll have to look up Chu-yai. It's possible I've had some and just don't know it. Food has been varied but tasty overall, while my drinks have been fairly low-end. But there's plenty of nights to remedy that.

Dallow: Maybe.[/quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chūhai
It's a canned beverage consisting of Japanese sho-chu (similar to vodka) mixed with carbonated fruit soda. It's really goooood.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Hey Strell, get me one of these:
mugen-edamame-buy-2.jpg
[/quote]

Hahaha, oh shit! I will never forget the video promotion thing in Tokyu Hands in Ikebukuro for these things. I picked one up! Here's the effin' video. Basically, it's an edamame keychain that you can pop infinitely, because it never fully leaves the pod. It's extremely satisfying. I wish I had bought more than one, because I gave mine away to a friend.

[youtube]RITA14kERWM[/youtube]

Damn I want one of those. :lol:

I need to get one of those puchipuchi bubble wrap keychain things, I always go to order them online and then either they are sold out or want a ridiculous amount for shipping.

Find any Nekopan?

nekopan2.jpg

If you happen to see any, let me know where so when I visit in October I can nab one. I honestly don't even know if they are still available anywhere...

Hope you're enjoying yourself out there.

I know none of you punks are awake....Stinky might be because he lives in Ye Olde World...but we're counting down on the last night.

I just want to stay here. You guys can have that Manifest Destiny and all that nonsense. I'll keep my yakitori and gashapon and silly moonspeak and we'll call it even.

If anyone knows a way I can be deported and willfully choose what country to live in, let me know. Also if I can get money out of the deal. That'd be swell.

[quote name='Strell']I know none of you punks are awake....Stinky might be because he lives in Ye Olde World...but we're counting down on the last night.

I just want to stay here. You guys can have that Manifest Destiny and all that nonsense. I'll keep my yakitori and gashapon and silly moonspeak and we'll call it even.

If anyone knows a way I can be deported and willfully choose what country to live in, let me know. Also if I can get money out of the deal. That'd be swell.[/quote]
Uncle%20Sam%20I%20Want%20You.jpg

[quote name='Strell']I know none of you punks are awake....Stinky might be because he lives in Ye Olde World...but we're counting down on the last night.

If anyone knows a way I can be deported and willfully choose what country to live in, let me know. Also if I can get money out of the deal. That'd be swell.[/quote]
I told you! I EFFIN' TOLD YOU!

I just went in June and already I've found a way to scrape together $900 to go again in November. You're welcome to tag along with me!

Start learning 日本語 (nihongo) right now!

I miss it there so much ...

Also, watch Lost in Translation now. A lot of the movie will make a LOT more sense. Especially the part where Bill Murray is in the bathtub on the phone with his wife. fucking priceless and right on the money. When you start to get all Nihon-homesick, I'll suggest some good Japanese movies/music.

Did you try the chu-hai yet? How about some shabu-shabu?

If you're really serious about wanting to stay/live in Japan, shoot me a PM and I'll tell ya what my plan is after graduating this year, haha. Maybe we can split the cost of an expensive ass apartment in Tokyo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, at least I can tell you it gets easier once you get back and time passes on.

Actually I'm lying... every morning is a grueling process where I wish I would never open my eyes.

Who here likes Rosa from FFIV?

There was a shop in Akihabara called Animate that basically was a nerd's paradise - tons of manga, OSTs, keychains, etc. An endless embrosiatic buffet of delights to all the dorks and dorks-at-heart.

I hate how smart they are at marketing, though. I found these little boxes of FFIV statuettes of some of the main characters, based on the recently released 3D remake. And I pick up a box and it's only ¥399 and I'm thinking that's cheap enough.

So I look and there are six possible choices. And yes - the most desirable is Kain, wrought in his awesome dragoon armor. But I look at the others and think "Yeah okay most of these other ones are good too - Cid, Cecil-post-transformation, Kid Rydia, Edge." And then I notice that there's a Rosa. And she looks okay, but I sincerely couldn't care less about her.

And then I start to think about how my chances are roughly 83.333% of getting a character I want, which I think are nice odds.

And which one do I get?

fuckin' Rosa.

I did manage to go back and get two more, which ended up being Cid and Cecil, which are almost - when combined - as good as getting a Kain. But really I'd trade them for the tortured dark knight any day of the week.

Anyway if someone wants it - and I can take a picture later - let me know. It's kind of neat.

If I've already got an idea of something to send you, then you probably won't get it. I'm trying to spread these things out as evenly and fairly as possible. This plays upon several assumptions, which tend to be dire and black, and thus will not be recounted here.

[quote name='Strell']GIVE ME TEH EXTRA KAIN.

Give him to me now.[/QUOTE]

Already claimed by one of my friends, sorry! But you were in Akihabara, there should be no trouble finding a Kain there! I guess he's the most sought after from the set, but even then, he usually goes for around 800 yen or so.

I'm officially scared of having dreams where I am still in Japan, which are only further heightened when I wake up and can't remember where I actually am. Worse still is the fact that I can understand what people are saying around me - in public, on television, etc.

And that is fucked. Up.

Even when I take a nap I wake up in a cold sweat wondering where I slept last, and why it doesn't look familiar. And then I start thinking "Did I sleep here last night? I thought I did. Did I? I can't remember."

This continues for 10 minutes until I realize it's 7:30 AM on Saturday, and there is no adequate explanation as to why I should be awake, other than I simply am and that is simply uncalled for.

things you gotta try/eat in japan

- basashi (raw horse meat). I know it sounds wrong but think about chewy sushi.
- ramen. Ramen Stadium in Fukuoka is the place to go. I think the place was called Canal City. Tonkotsu/Hakata ramen. (Pork bone base) DELICIOUS.
- okonomiyaki/takoyaki/monjayaki. Pancake, octopus balls, and watery version of the japanese pancake. Best place to get these is in Osaka.
- Did you try the big open fish market in Tokyo? Thats another place to go.
- burgers. Yes I said it. Mos Burger, First Kitchen, Freshness Burger. All good.
- soba.
- bread. Try all the different kinds of breads.
- Croissant. When you're at the Hakata Station, try the croissants that are somewhere in the station. They are to die for! I have dreams about them cuz they were so good!

Enjoy your time there!

Someone really needs to step up and claim this Rosa statue. I dun want it, and the chances of it meeting a horrible microwave death increase with each passing day.

Trinkets should be arriving at various locations soon.

This thread is about to be blitzed with lots of inane material, including photos, some video, and complete nonsense narrative. Oh, and maybe even some comic-book inspired drawings.

Strell, did you take any sweet photos to share with us? Also, wanna make another trip this November / December? I'm going then!

[quote name='Strell']Greetings CAG brethren.

Leaving for a two week trip on Wednesday to Tokyo, and then ultimately to Fukuoka. I have a cousin I'll be staying with who lives there initially, and then at best friend's house. The primary reason for going is my best friend's wedding, but there's also a lot of touristy/sight seeing nonsense to be had (as this is also something of a late, late graduation gift/trip).

So give me suggestions if you got 'em. Where to go, what to look at, what to eat. Hopefully panties-in-a-can is not the answer to these questions.[/quote]

Did you get me Crystal Kay's phone number? :bouncy:

Big picture to illustrate how large i was after getting this. Thanks Strell!

ostwjr.jpg

(Though it wasn't the abnormally unproportional big-breasted schoolgirl hentai you promised)

Cactrot is mah boy.

It is a sin to call him by any other name, even in the land where he was conceived and born.

I will let one live if they call him Cactuar, but only by the narrowest of margins.

(And no, it wasn't. I kept that for myself, Pooky.)

bread's done
Back