Yet another netbook thread- looking for some different advice

Rocko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
My apologies for another netbook thread, I know there's been a lot of them, but I'm really not sure what to do in my situation and I need some help.

I'm going away to UF in the fall and I want to buy a netbook. I'm taking my desktop with me, which isn't a powerhouse but does anything I'd ever want to do well enough. Because I don't need a super powerful laptop, I figure a netbook is the best way to go, as I can carry it with me easily. However, I'm having the netbook purchased for me by my fairly affluent grandmother, so instead of going with the cheapest option, I wanted to go with something that was a little more powerful.

When I started looking at netbook I figured I'd be able to just go with a more expensive option that has the battery life of a small, less-powerful netbook but with a larger screen and better specs. I found the Asus 1201n, which looked great, but has a battery life of 3-5 hours according to CNET. That's really just not acceptable.

What I'm looking for is a netbook that has better battery life than 5 hours, but doesn't end up having a really tiny screen (Even 11 inches would be a little better than the standard 10.1"), cramped keyboard, and terrible specs (I know, that pretty much describes a netbook). Should I be looking at ultraportable laptops instead? Are ultraportable laptops as convenient to transport as netbooks? Can I get an ultraportable laptop, or netbook that fits my criteria, with good battery life for a decent price (I really don't want to spend over $800)?

Basically I was expecting to be able to get the best of every aspect and pay extra for it, and it seems like that isn't the case, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks for reading this and any advice you can give me. I appreciate it.

netbooks are generally 'slow' as they run the full OS with a gimped CPU(Atom)
I dont know what you will be using it for so...
either get a laptop with a ULV processor, acer timeline is a great series or an ipad
I personally owned all 3 and I found the netbook useless for what I wanted to do.
THE ULV is an amazing value for the price, 5-8 hour battery life with a full desktop experience - gaming
there are AMD atom like cpus coming out but I duno how good they are

I really like that Acer Timeline series, but are they about to be replaced or something? Amazon doesn't seem to have many in stock. :whistle2:k

Do you really need a long battery life? You'll be somewhere where you can plug it in a lot of the time. I'd be more inclined to get a 14" laptop and get better specs. I'd rather have horsepower than a couple extra hours of battery.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Do you really need a long battery life? You'll be somewhere where you can plug it in a lot of the time. I'd be more inclined to get a 14" laptop and get better specs. I'd rather have horsepower than a couple extra hours of battery.[/QUOTE]

^This

Dude, Rocko, get this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5608158&CatId=4938

I just bought one last month and it's awesome. I got it from Tigerdirect in Red. With 12.5% cashback I expect $100 back next month.

It's a 11.6" screen, Eight Hour Battery Life, Dual core processor, Full Windows 7, Wireless N, HDMI Out. And it weighs just over 3 pounds.

The other acer series, the 1410, is expected to be replaced this fall/winter. It'll be the same pc but it'll be under the Aspire One moniker. But it'll only have 5 hours battery life. So i recommend the 1810.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Do you really need a long battery life? You'll be somewhere where you can plug it in a lot of the time. I'd be more inclined to get a 14" laptop and get better specs. I'd rather have horsepower than a couple extra hours of battery.[/QUOTE]
I want to get it to take with me to classes and whatnot. I doubt I'll use it much in my room where I can plug it in since I'll have my desktop. I don't want to have to worry about it dying on me.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Dude, Rocko, get this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5608158&CatId=4938

I just bought one last month and it's awesome. I got it from Tigerdirect in Red. With 12.5% cashback I expect $100 back next month.

It's a 11.6" screen, Eight Hour Battery Life, Dual core processor, Full Windows 7, Wireless N, HDMI Out. And it weighs just over 3 pounds.

The other acer series, the 1410, is expected to be replaced this fall/winter. It'll be the same pc but it'll be under the Aspire One moniker. But it'll only have 5 hours battery life. So i recommend the 1810.[/QUOTE]
What'd you use, Bing cashback?

I was looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Timeline...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275340184&sr=8-2

Which looks to be similar, different processor though.

I was also looking at this, which is just a larger screen:
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Timeline...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275346022&sr=1-5

Do you find the 11.6" screen to be sufficient? It'd probably be better to go with the smaller screen. :whistle2:k

Edit:
They have this:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5608154&CatId=4938
And this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5608167&CatId=4938

As well. Hm.

yeah, I used bing cashback. Search for lcd and one of the ads should be for tigerdirect at 12.5%.

I was also concerned that the 11 inch screen would be too small. I was also looking at the 80vt that Casey linked. But the 11.6 inch is perfect if you're looking for an ultraportable.

The one downside is no DVD. So I also bought this slim dvd reader/writer for installing softaware.

If youre looking for something just to carry around on campus and do school work, email shit ike that, the acer is perfect.

Edit, Also, because it's 11.6 inches, it has a good keyboard layout. Chicklet style. And I'm a huge guy with big fingers. And it's fine for me.

Also that one you linked is the same thing. Except it comes with bluetooth and a slightly more powerful processor. But the 1810tz works fine and youprobably get an extra half hour to hour of batter life with slightly less powerful cpu and no bluetooth. The most important thing is make sure your processor is dual core. the 4100 is powertful enough to run flash in 1080p. The su3500 stutters in normal youtube.

Thanks to both of you. I'm really not sure what I like more, between the 11.6" Timeline, the 13.3" Timeline, and the 14" Asus. All three of them seem like they have great battery life and are fairly portable. I feel like I'd want to go with one of the larger models just because a larger screen would obviously be nicer to use, but I'm thinking it might be smarter to go with the 11.6" since I'm planning on using it more portably than sitting at home. Ah, I don't know!

FWIW, I love my ASUS 1201N. I haven't found battery life to be a problem as you can get a solid 3.5 - 4 hours from a charge. How often will you need to go longer w/o plugging in?

bread's done
Back