YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

Does anyone know if there has been anyone who dumped the entire NAND image off this thing yet? Just wondering if I can tweak it to work on the rpi.
Is that not what the hack is backing up when you first run it? It might not be though, not sure.

Anybody seen any official controllers out in the wild?

I used the joystick for the 1st time and it is very loud like the original. I have every system from the last 15 years and my 9 year old is playing Ramapage and Godzilla on the Classic.[attachment=25333:IMG_4269.JPG]

Save files for the NES Classic are likely really, really small. All you are doing is saving the register values and RAM which point to the location of execution in code and what is currently loaded into RAM and on the NES that is tiny.

Also, video quality has nothing to do with the games, they are not remasters. It has to do with the emulation and after effects added and in some cases, the quality of the hardware outputting the signal.

As far as legality, I agree with the others, if you are hacking the NES Classic, you have already bailed on that whole legality thing - even if you own the carts, it is still questionable grey area.

I've got an NES Classic, and I LOVE it. It is a great little package for what it is. I thought about hacking more games into it, but instead just went with the Pi 3 for my expansion needs - I'd rather not risk messing up the NES Classic. My son spent the whole day yesterday playing SNES games on it. I have pretty much all of the games on the NES Classic also on the Pi, but the video quality and interface (short cords notwithstanding, I bought some extensions) is better on the NES Classic.
If you legally own a game Roms are not a questionable grey area. These games didn't have crazy user agreements like everything does now a days. You're pretty much in the clear I'd say up to the 32 or even 128 bit era (lol remember instead of generations people talked about bits). Same goes for ripping a legally owned CD into an MP3....assuming you don't share that license with another person, you're pretty much in the clear.

Things get a bit more murky with the modern era of gaming/computing (PS3 on forward) as a lot of times when you read the license (who really does?) you're just buying the right to use the game, operating system, or even computer.

If you legally own a game Roms are not a questionable grey area. These games didn't have crazy user agreements like everything does now a days. You're pretty much in the clear I'd say up to the 32 or even 128 bit era (lol remember instead of generations people talked about bits). Same goes for ripping a legally owned CD into an MP3....assuming you don't share that license with another person, you're pretty much in the clear.

Things get a bit more murky with the modern era of gaming/computing (PS3 on forward) as a lot of times when you read the license (who really does?) you're just buying the right to use the game, operating system, or even computer.
Those "User Agreements" are actually not particularly enforceable. You cannot hold people to a contract terms by a click through or displaying a message, you actually have to sign it - else they have no way of proving it was you, and you agreed to it in sound mind. That's not the grey area. The grey area lies in the reverse engineering to extract the ROM then use it on an emulator - a DMCA thing. Even withstanding the whole User Agreement thing - you own a cartridge, not the code to do with however you please. The whole "it's completely legal if I own the cartridge" is just something emulation fans tell themselves to justify it, it has never been tested in court. And neither has the User Agreement thing, companies are hesitant to cross that bridge lest courts rule it isn't a contract and invalidate them all and throw their legal arguments into a tailspin.

But it is a moot point anyways, they aren't so much worried about that - when they take actions, they go after the ROM distributors, but apparently they don't even do that like they used to do (or they have gotten so numerous it is pointless). They have a very good case against the distributors. Besides we all know most people (despite protestations) don't actually own even a fraction of the cartridges they would load on this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of which, does anybody know of any -really good- SNES Raspberry Pi 3 cases? I've seen several that are pretty rough.
I made an NES case out of Lego's that I think looks pretty good. You can find a few lego cases for sale but I decided to use my own and mimic the design. Haven't really seen a SNES one though.

[attachment=25343:IMG_1697.JPG]

hmm so one store in my area at target is saying 2 available but 1 saleable and may not be available until morning.. i feel like they wouldnt have any at all and its a miscount.. what do you guys think?

I want one of these now that the mods are worth my time. My Gamestop said they got a shipment in Wednesday and it sold out already. They also said it was about a month in between so they probably aren't getting more soon. 

I can wait, but fuck ebay flippers. 

hmm so one store in my area at target is saying 2 available but 1 saleable and may not be available until morning.. i feel like they wouldnt have any at all and its a miscount.. what do you guys think?
If the store is close, I'd give it a shot. I got mine yesterday when it said 1 saleable.

I have checked brickseek the last several days while various local Targets have reportedly gotten units in stock.  But it always shows zeroes across the board in the mid-morning.   Unless you're going to check it and get there before 8am opening, there's no chance of scoring around here. 

To keep my sanity I wait until 11 to check, as I couldn't go before noon anyway. If they had any in stock at 8 am that sold instantly I'd never know. And not knowing is half the battle! Or something.

I want one of these now that the mods are worth my time. My Gamestop said they got a shipment in Wednesday and it sold out already. They also said it was about a month in between so they probably aren't getting more soon.

I can wait, but fuck ebay flippers.
If you care about the mods and playing roms then a retron 5 is the way to go...it has the easiest loop hole to add roms and the memory is expandable. No custom firmware is needed, you just load the roms from the retron cheats area. Theirs tons of youtube vids on it. This simple exploit lets you play Genesis, NES, SNES, FAMICOM, All Gameboy systems, and Master system roms. The only hick up is you need to pop in a NES cart if you want to play an NES game ect...but that just adds to the old school fun.

I wish I got one earlier than I did, on NEOGAF some guy modded it to run just about everything but the N64. He's no longer making custom Firmware.

I personally want this NES as a gift for my nephew.

UPS 'lost' my NES classic. Said they will call Gamestop to confirm then Gamestop would ship a new one to me. Has this happened to anyone? How long does it take for UPS to contact Gamestop?

UPS 'lost' my NES classic. Said they will call Gamestop to confirm then Gamestop would ship a new one to me. Has this happened to anyone? How long does it take for UPS to contact Gamestop?
disney-princess-elsa.jpg

I have checked brickseek the last several days while various local Targets have reportedly gotten units in stock. But it always shows zeroes across the board in the mid-morning. Unless you're going to check it and get there before 8am opening, there's no chance of scoring around here.
You're correct. I have been doing the same and got one this morning. Local store showed four. Got there before 8am. All were sold out immediately after opening.

How do you look it up on brickseek?
Click the link that frosty47 posted above (post #356), then enter your zipcode and hit submit. It will show you what the Target stores in your area have in stock. All zeroes across the board for me.

I go tthe Famicom classic too and it's the worst thing ive ever seen in my life. Tiny cables that are hard wired into the console. Oh well, I guess at least it has 2 controllers if you have a siamese twin

I go tthe Famicom classic too and it's the worst thing ive ever seen in my life. Tiny cables that are hard wired into the console. Oh well, I guess at least it has 2 controllers if you have a siamese twin
Get a long HDMI. I wanted one of those too, but those controllers are so freaking tiny. No idea why Nintendo scaled them down. They went all in on the miniaturization thing.

I'll probably catch flack for this, but I modded my last Nes Classic (added 650+ US Roms to it) and sold it on ebay for $295. Just snagged two of these bundles just now for $295 total after tax and handling fees, so they pretty much just paid for itself :)

I still definitely want to own one, but the opportunity cost of keeping it vs. modding/selling it is too much for me. I'll play my Mac emulators in the mean time until these are readily available

I'll probably catch flack for this, but I modded my last Nes Classic (added 650+ US Roms to it) and sold it on ebay for $295. Just snagged two of these bundles just now for $295 total after tax and handling fees, so they pretty much just paid for itself :)

I still definitely want to own one, but the opportunity cost of keeping it vs. modding/selling it is too much for me. I'll play my Mac emulators in the mean time until these are readily available
You're worried about "catching flack"? You just sold a bunch of games that you didn't own. If you don't understand the difference between right and wrong, or illegal activities, this forum isn't going to change that. So congrats, you're a criminal. :applause:

I can confirm whatever new stock GS got did not go to the stores as of today. However 2 stores still show stock. They are probably inventory errors but worth a look.

Sheet you need to go to the NES Classic tab from this link

I can confirm whatever new stock GS got did not go to the stores as of today. However 2 stores still show stock. They are probably inventory errors but worth a look.

Sheet you need to go to the NES Classic tab from this link
Did you get one? I remember you mentioning that someone was going to ship one to you.

Wouldn't you hate working at Nintendo???

"Hey boss, the new NES classics look like they'll be the hottest toy of Christmas. We can probably sell 10 million of these things. What do you want us to o?"

"Make 500 every 6 months. We don't want to saturate th market!"

Wouldn't you hate working at Nintendo???

"Hey boss, the new NES classics look like they'll be the hottest toy of Christmas. We can probably sell 10 million of these things. What do you want us to o?"

"Make 500 every 6 months. We don't want to saturate th market!"
If you take how many they have sold (1.5 Million) and divide it by 88 days (Nov. 11th) they technically make 17,045 of these a day.

You're worried about "catching flack"? You just sold a bunch of games that you didn't own. If you don't understand the difference between right and wrong, or illegal activities, this forum isn't going to change that. So congrats, you're a criminal. :applause:
What's to say I didn't own the game and wanted the digital versions? And anyone who bought it had that disclaimer as well, that they legally need to own the games in order to keep the preloaded games

A new GS store just got some in stock.

Sheet (You need to go to the NES Classic tab from this link)

EDIT- Gone is less then 20 minutes.

If you take how many they have sold (1.5 Million) and divide it by 88 days (Nov. 11th) they technically make 17,045 of these a day.
Thanks, Captain Lack of Sarcasm. Obviously, the demand has far outstripped the supply. If we were really being literal here, I would point out that most small electronics are produced in batches, so they don't actually make exactly 17,045 a day. Also, they would have had to produce some before November 11th in order to have them in the supply chain for release date. Just sayin'.

Another new GS store just got some in stock. I don't know if these are returns or what but I haven't seen any new stock like this pop up periodically since the restock.

Sheet (You need to go to the NES Classic tab from this link)

2 more GS stores just got some in stock.

Sheet (You need to go to the NES Classic tab from this link)

EDIT- 1 of the 2 is sold out now
EDIT- Another one sold out and another store in Florida popped up.

Intelligence, not character.
Lol, hey you never know. There might be a chance that everyone owns 600 plus NES games. Surely anyone who buys it will immediately go through the list of games and delete anything they do not own. Scouts honor. *Wink wink. Nugde nudge*

Lol I'm looking forward to the drama that's about to ensue. These and Hatchimals always cause a bunch of bitching and arguing on my local Facebook yard sale page

yD9uVgc.png

bread's done
Back