YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

Lol I'm looking forward to the drama that's about to ensue. These and Hatchimals always cause a bunch of bitching and arguing on my local Facebook yard sale page

yD9uVgc.png
LOL. Dude couldn't even wait to get of the store to post it.

Definitely Meijer. They have blue shopping carts there.

I have rarely seen them at Meijer. They always get snatched instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
got mine from best buy the other day, man the box is much smaller than i thought lol.. and the console is tiny..the controller is bigger than the console is :).. 60 bucks isnt bad for the console.. but really its probably not worth more than that.. plus the cheap asses made the cord super short i guess they thought people were gonna connect them to their pc screen or something .. 

so i guess the nes classic went down in price for reselling huh
I think at this point the market is on the cusp of crash. Nintendo has ramped up production and had large shipments to Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy in the past week+ (and probably more retailers). People just know they're worth $$$ and they're only $60 so people grab them up and flip 'em. I think they're way more plentiful now than in the past - it took me two months (after Christmas) to get one and yet I got two this past week (sold one sans controller since the original controllers are so hard to find).

I think at this point the market is on the cusp of crash. Nintendo has ramped up production and had large shipments to Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy in the past week+ (and probably more retailers). People just know they're worth $$$ and they're only $60 so people grab them up and flip 'em. I think they're way more plentiful now than in the past - it took me two months (after Christmas) to get one and yet I got two this past week (sold one sans controller since the original controllers are so hard to find).
It also isn't really a critical "must buy now" item since we are out of the holiday season. That pushes the price down even further. I'm hoping they start being regularly available soon because it really is a neat item, especially for non-tech people. And I especially hope they start making more controllers soon.

Anyone know a good trustworthy site to get more Roms so I can put more games in?

not at GS or BB. pretty sure neither walmart or amazon

only place I think that had pre orders up were target and toys r us and I don't think they were "suppose" too.
They all had pre-orders go up around 12-2am CST and they all sold out in about 5 minutes. Amazon went up around 4pm cst and sold out in 1 second.

My wife's friend finally found one at a Walmart store.

She went to GS to see about an extra controller because they said they had them when she called. When she arrived it was a 3rd party product and they told her that Nintendo would not be making any more controllers. I find that hard to believe. Anyone else hear anything similar?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343586 US isn't mentioned here yet... Nintendo hates money if true.
Wow. Huge win for scalpers if that's the case. The thing will be $200+ all over again. So happy that I got mine and got a 2nd controller - but the thing that sucks is once you have one you have tons of friends that get exposed to it and they want it too - and there's no stock for them to go buy.

I guess with the Switch and the Virtual Console there and perhaps the hacking capabilities on the NES Classic they're just peacing out?

Forget Nintendo, get a Raspberry Pi 3, load Retro Pie, emulators, and roms onto it, and never look back.   :cool:

Wow, if true then Nintendo is even dumber than I thought. Means the SNES would be in even more demand if they make one and will drive prices to crazy extremes if people think it's truly limited.

Whats really odd is that Kimishima even announced to investors is that they are making more.

Smells like a version update. Who knows.

Either way the whole situation just points out that Nintendo is severely lacking in the expertise needed to both forecasts demand and manage supply chain.

Forget Nintendo, get a Raspberry Pi 3, load Retro Pie, emulators, and roms onto it, and never look back. :cool:
Not a good option for everyone. Something is to be said for having such a nice package that is simply plug and play, lots of older and non-tech folks that don't want to mess with it will get a lot out of the NES Classic.

I have an NES Classic and a Raspberry Pi 3B loaded with Retropie and while I really like the flexibility the Pi offers, it took quite a bit of work to get it up to a level where I am happy with it as a package (games/systems I like, controllers, artwork/details, etc.). If you intend to hack the Classic, it is definitely something to consider using instead since you are obviously going to put some work into it.

The NES Classic is great for the kids to mess around with anytime with no fuss.

The NES Classic is great and all but I still don't understand the argument that retropie on rpi is hard to set up as long as your not doing advanced stuff like Dreamcast, PSP, 3DO, etc... Even if you only want to use the rpi for NES games there is really no config you need to do.

The NES Classic is great and all but I still don't understand the argument that retropie on rpi is hard to set up as long as your not doing advanced stuff like Dreamcast, PSP, 3DO, etc... Even if you only want to use the rpi for NES games there is really no config you need to do.
Well, even with all things equal - the 8bitdo controller is NOT the same as an OEM Nintendo controller. That is what keeps me away from the Raspberry Pi option (even though I'm running 3 of them and I own an 8bitdo controller).

Because not everyone is adept at downloading an image and making a boot disk image, nor have any idea what most of the settings mean. They have difficulty knowing what to order, how to put it together, even something as simple as when to plug in the controllers and what to press to configure the controllers. You over-estimate many people's ability to do what seem like very easy technical tasks to us. And there are others that simply don't want to mess with any of that stuff at all.

My Mom has difficulty ordering from Amazon, but there are NES games she enjoys.

I'm one of those "roll your own" types, but I'll admit that doing this can be a headache. A raspy pie doesn't even come with a damn case by default, and seeing that bare circuit board is probably enough to scare most technophobic users away. I personally went with a Mi Box, generously supplied by another CAG member, and while I'm mostly happy with it, it's very picky about which Android apps it will accept. Some won't install at all, while others were designed for a touchscreen, which the Mi Box lacks. Beyond that, most emulators on Android cost money, and their quality and ease of use varies. Nostalgia.NES works great for NES games, but Neo.Emu has horrendous lag which makes the timing-dependent fighting games in the Neo-Geo library kind of pointless. RetroArch won't run Neo-Geo games at all, and trust me, I've tried every core which claims to support them. Yes, I've got the BIOS file in the right place too.

I've got the time and the inclination to mess around with the Mi Box until I get it just right, but not everyone is that brave, or (heh) unemployed. You can forget about tech support when you're trying to turn an Android TV into a gaming device, too... all you'll get are blank stares and smug responses from people who actually know how to make it work. With that in mind, I can see why some users would prefer to have a plug 'n play emulation solution, even if they have to pay extra for it.

It doesn't really concern me that they are halting distribution in April or May.  We're only two months out from the giant Christmas rush for NES classics.  It's still only mid-Feb. They keep popping up in new places every week and most of the resourceful people that wanted one have scored by now.  Aftermarket prices have dropped to $120 and it will continue to fall.  The supply is close to reaching the demand.   Once the price drops below $100 scalpers won't be buying them anymore and they'll be even more easily available. 

It's just how we always thought it would happen.  Come March everyone will have their NES mini if they want one. It was up on the Best Buy site forever that one day last week.  I'm glad to hear they won't be stinking up the store shelves and going on clearance.  No doubt we'll be getting some future iterations of this product as well since it did so well.   Truly a win-win. It's fun to have a little hype every now and then.

Because not everyone is adept at downloading an image and making a boot disk image, nor have any idea what most of the settings mean. They have difficulty knowing what to order, how to put it together, even something as simple as when to plug in the controllers and what to press to configure the controllers. You over-estimate many people's ability to do what seem like very easy technical tasks to us. And there are others that simply don't want to mess with any of that stuff at all.

My Mom has difficulty ordering from Amazon, but there are NES games she enjoys.
You literally don't even do this for NES. . .

The only time I have ever done that was when I was sailing the high seas on my PC.

Will hold my last 2 tight if they are seriously discontinuing it. It probably won't drop below $100 anyway so it might be worth the time investment.

How will people even know if it's open or not? Is there a tape seal on it.
naw, inside there were just twist ties and a couple of plastic bags with a poster and some other promotional paper things. As long as you have all that and didn't put too much wear on anything shouldn't be a problem making it look new again.

naw, inside there were just twist ties and a couple of plastic bags with a poster and some other promotional paper things. As long as you have all that and didn't put too much wear on anything shouldn't be a problem making it look new again.
in that case it's risky even to buy a "new" one off ebay. surprised nintendo didn't seal it with tape.

I've never opened one before but holy sheet, I would be weary of buying any of these "new" later on down the road.

I've never opened one before but holy sheet, I would be weary of buying any of these "new" later on down the road.
yea only thing keeping it "sealed" would be a tab that folds into the box. You'd think there would be some type of sticker over that.

NES_classic_edition_box.0.jpg

I don't know the Nordic sales numbers though I'm sure they sold through whatever amount they've been sent. I'd imagine it's in Nintendo's best interest to pump more systems out in other regions for logistical reasons but I have no basis for that other than I just can't bring myself to overreact to something that makes no sense whatsoever on a global scale.

Absolutely annoyed that both my husband and I have still not managed to be able to find one of these. If anyone has a spare or wants to sell their used one, I'd gladly buy it at cost + shipping. :/

I have not opened my second Classic but I pulled it out this weekend. I added 388 additional games to the first and will do the same for the second system. My son loves it.

bread's done
Back