YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

I was at a Target in Brooklyn today waiting, they only had 3 NES Classics with 7 people waiting and some Asian guy who just showed up late skipped the whole line, guy waiting since 3 AM was pissed. Thankfully the employees were smart and knew who was waiting and would have check the security camera.
Did Target security drag him out????

UPDATE- [font='proxima-nova', helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Possible restock coming to some Best Buys. Stores being told to hold them till April 24th (according to my source)[/size][/font]

65e37a2610946aaa030e3bc357f2d89b.jpg

-----

Google Spreadsheet of stores getting this. Thank you to Blackbeard4886 for making/updating this.BE SURE TO CALL YOUR STORE FIRST BEFORE GOINGhttp://www.cheapassgamer.com/redirect.php?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fspreadsheets%2Fd%2F1P5DeKpaHyRBSO3wJ2UUq4rPZcBTxxuJlJpIsJjzn_bI%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&pid=13689665
Monday, the 24th? Or Sunday the 23rd?

Other then these being collectors items at this point I honestly don't get why people are so butthurt over the NES Classic. People who are mad about not being able to get a switch I can see because the switch is the only way you can play switch games...as for the NES Classic there are various other ways to emulate these. I would honestly be curious if people who botch about the NES Classic are truly upset that they didnt get one to keep or if they are mad cuz they couldn't buy one for profit.

I dont understand why people are so mad over this shit.... emulate them, buy them on the Wii,WII U, get an NES etc////     Mad because you couldnt resell on is all

I dont understand why people are so mad over this shit.... emulate them, buy them on the Wii,WII U, get an NES etc//// Mad because you couldnt resell on is all
True. It just doesn't make sense that Nintendo doesn't want to keep making bank on something that has a big following. I'd get one for the novelty and to mod but wouldn't go out of my way or pay more than msrp.

I dont understand why people are so mad over this shit.... emulate them, buy them on the Wii,WII U, get an NES etc//// Mad because you couldnt resell on is all
man there are people ready to get employee's fired over $15 star wars convention funkos. I enjoy collecting but people are taking this shit too seriously. If you can't score one in store pay up on ebay. If you don't wanna pay up just move on and forgot about it.

True. It just doesn't make sense that Nintendo doesn't want to keep making bank on something that has a big following. I'd get one for the novelty and to mod but wouldn't go out of my way or pay more than msrp.
They're not. The people making bank are resellers who also loaded them with illegal roms. What was Nintendo making? $5 if that per unit? Don't forget no way for them to sell you additional games to play on the system, means no further revenue after sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
man there are people ready to get employee's fired over $15 star wars convention funkos. I enjoy collecting but people are taking this shit too seriously. If you can't score one in store pay up on ebay. If you don't wanna pay up just move on and forgot about it.
People are going crazy over those damn POPs. one lady straight up accused me of holding them in the back, saying we are saving them for ourselves to sell on eBay. then gives me this dumb ass smirk and says she was kidding. and follows it up by ill be here tomorrow to pick mine up. even though i told her we might not be getting them in. man i feel bad for whoever is dating her.

working retail, I'm actually happy when we don't get NES classics in. its a pain to deal with rude people. cause we are not allowed to say anything back.

I got shafted yesterday at target for a NES Classic. Stood in line at 6:00 am 3rd person in line. Manager tells us there is 5 units, homeboy in front calls his buddies that drive up and cut the line. Told the manager he told me they had been waiting, I retorted I just watched them drive up and park. He replied oh I didn't know that.

I swear the selling of this device by brick and mortar has been so shady. Nintendo dropped the ball on this really bad. This device could have saved that company not the switch.
So you couldn't simply take out your phone and confront them, record it, and show it to the manager at the stores opening?

So you couldn't simply take out your phone and confront them, record it, and show it to the manager at the stores opening?
I always take pictures/recordings of the line for rare items. Had someone try to cut at Target's when the Majora's Mask N3DS XLs came out and they only had like 4 in stock, guy instantly backed down when he realized we weren't going to bitch out and let him cut.

Why not? Have you not read the recent pages from this thread? The NEC Classic was a hit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
if its a hit, nintendo wouldnt discontinue a product. my guess the reason why they stopped because they can make money through VC without making more NES Classics. they planning to release more classic games on the switch.

Why not? Have you not read the recent pages from this thread? The NEC Classic was a hit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I disagree. Something being rare and driving demand because you can't get it vs actually being a sales success are two different things.

They're not. The people making bank are resellers who also loaded them with illegal roms. What was Nintendo making? $5 if that per unit? Don't forget no way for them to sell you additional games to play on the system, means no further revenue after sale.
Where are you getting this from?

There’s nothing to the NES classic hardware and Nintendo owns most of the games loaded onto it. The stuff they don’t own is ancient and I’d be shocked if the licensing fees they pay out are anything substantial.

And even if they were, they could just as easily release newer units with different games, inserting their own software instead of third party titles.

I’m willing to bet Nintendo was spending maybe 10-15 bucks per unit, licensing fees included. And that’s a highball estimate.

Where are you getting this from?

There’s nothing to the NES classic hardware and Nintendo owns most of the games loaded onto it. The stuff they don’t own is ancient and I’d be shocked if the licensing fees they pay out are anything substantial.

And even if they were, they could just as easily release newer units with different games, inserting their own software instead of third party titles.

I’m willing to bet Nintendo was spending maybe 10-15 bucks per unit, licensing fees included. And that’s a highball estimate.
Obviously you have never r&d'd anything from concept to end user in your life. You think people designing, programming and testing these products don't get paid? You think making new molds for plastic injection molding machines is free, and the materials and labor? Circuit board manufacturing too? How about shipping from these manufacturers who are usually based in Japan? Oh that must be free also. Oh yeah and let's imagine the distributor doesn't get paid and the retailer makes 0%?

Edit: I almost forgot packaging, advertising and buy-backs for manufacturing defects.

Nah. Razor thin profit margins are acceptable with high sales- either there is a loss or a licensing agreement. Once production is sailing and these things are rolling out it's pretty much a pay check.

Most of that market research and cost analysis is done in advance of product launches. If not, then the clear answer is dysfunction in the company.

Obviously you have never r&d'd anything from concept to end user in your life. You think people designing, programming and testing these products don't get paid? You think making new molds for plastic injection molding machines is free, and the materials and labor? Circuit board manufacturing too? How about shipping from these manufacturers who are usually based in Japan? Oh that must be free also. Oh yeah and let's imagine the distributor doesn't get paid and the retailer makes 0%?

Edit: I almost forgot packaging, advertising and buy-backs for manufacturing defects.
So, your postulation is that Nintendo – a company that has always released hardware with solid profit margins – decided to abandon this precept for a retro-console for no apparent reason other than just for the hell of it?

Really?

As to research and development, there is no notable R&D cost for this product because it’s a BASIC, CHEAP EMULATOR wrapped up in a nostalgic little NES package utilizing existing ROMs. The deign trajectory you allude to in regards to this product literally does not exist.

The rest of your inane blather about manufacturing costs is obvious to the point of banality but does nothing to negate one very prominent and irrefutable point:

The notion that Nintendo was only making five dollars per unit materialized entirely from your ass and is thusly without substantiation.

Clearly, Nintendo wouldn’t have bothered releasing something like this for such a tiny profit margin, especially because it was intended to be closed box and has no ancillary sales potential save the extra controller. The console itself was the revenue stream so clearly, it was manufactured and sold to be a hell of a lot more profitable than five bucks per unit. (Which again is a number you simply conjured up.)

Also, did you really just try and factor in advertising costs?

There was no advertising for this thing.

Like, literally none.

The likely answer is that when Nintendo said there would be a limited run and the Nes Classic would be a collectible they meant it.

The likely answer is that when Nintendo said there would be a limited run and the Nes Classic would be a collectible they meant it.
That seems like the most reasonable explanation to me. They weren't planning on making this a long term product but regardless, I doubt they weren't making a solid profit per unit, otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered given the limited run.

Hopefully they approach the SNES classic with a better strategy.

So, your postulation is that Nintendo – a company that has always released hardware with solid profit margins – decided to abandon this precept for a retro-console for no apparent reason other than just for the hell of it?

Really?

As to research and development, there is no notable R&D cost for this product because it’s a BASIC, CHEAP EMULATOR wrapped up in a nostalgic little NES package utilizing existing ROMs. The deign trajectory you allude to in regards to this product literally does not exist.

The rest of your inane blather about manufacturing costs is obvious to the point of banality but does nothing to negate one very prominent and irrefutable point:

The notion that Nintendo was only making five dollars per unit materialized entirely from your ass and is thusly without substantiation.

Clearly, Nintendo wouldn’t have bothered releasing something like this for such a tiny profit margin, especially because it was intended to be closed box and has no ancillary sales potential save the extra controller. The console itself was the revenue stream so clearly, it was manufactured and sold to be a hell of a lot more profitable than five bucks per unit. (Which again is a number you simply conjured up.)

Also, did you really just try and factor in advertising costs?

There was no advertising for this thing.

Like, literally none.
The best parts about your reply here are:

a.) I did not once say they stopped manufacturing it for any reason in my response. I said they were not making "bank", but that was not a reason to stop selling it.

b.) Your use of superfluous speech as if to sound intelligent.

c.) You have just as little proof for any of your points as I do, except mine make sense to anyone with knowledge of manufacturing.

But, that's fine if you would like to bask in naivety.

WOW, I don't even know what to say about this. WTF is the point?

Your neither on the side that believes their making no money with the mini(or very little), which is OK, and this was a "thank you" to fans as a holiday item and nothing more. In that mind set, you didn't get this in many "fan" hands, and if you did, they lucked up, or paid a premium, either way this was a nightmare of epic proportions. This company never approaches the plate without their hardware making money, so I believe this one the least honestly, as it's just not the way they operate.

If your on the other side, you believe this was making money, and then, why end it? As there is still a HUGE demand for it, and many "fans" who didn't get one, due to poor supply.

Then the last bit to the puzzle was "N" really doesn't want to cut in to the VC dollars of the future, so they are ending it for that reason.

In any of these situations there is the plus, and the minus. What would be different on the SNES mini? Are they now going to charge more? Is there going to be some online connectivity to prevent hacking? Will more games be added than 30? Will the price be more tha $60? I personally don't see an SNES device being any better than this, and if they do provide a better value, why cut in to the VC dollars? I'm just not seeing the point, especially when you ended the classic well before it's time.

To play devils advocate: using your brain says companies don't generally produce items to sell out of generosity. Just saying.

That seems like the most reasonable explanation to me. They weren't planning on making this a long term product but regardless, I doubt they weren't making a solid profit per unit, otherwise, they wouldn't have bothered given the limited run.

Hopefully they approach the SNES classic with a better strategy.
It was obviously a "gap" product. Something to fill a pretty empty holiday season for them. I'd love a SNES Classic, but it is unlikely in my opinion anytime soon, and if it does come out I would expect a significantly less hackable offering.

I'd say if you can't get one, don't fret - a year or two down the road all these people that *have* to have one will realize they don't play it and want to dump it. By then the scalper market will tame itself. It's hot now, but remember there are a TON of them out there - and that doesn't help keep a high resale value down the road. People are just reacting to the market and it makes them want it more than they actually do.

I love all the people who are mad at Nintendo and saying they'll never buy another Nintendo product.

Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. They didn't have to create the NES Classic in the first place.

Why do you want one so much? The NES Classic is adorable to look at, sure, but it does little else. A million people have already said that the games can be played other ways.

If you're a "collector" and must have one for your collection, buy one from eBay. If you won't pay a "scalper" out of principle, then that's your problem; fuck you. If the eBay price is too high for you, then you probably shouldn't be spending $59.99 on a collectible either and/or find a way to make more income.

If this thing had no resale value (literally $0), would you still be interested? I'm guessing the majority of people would answer no if they were being honest with themselves.

Also, this is a troll post. I'm bored. Actually, I just realized I'm not bored. I'm procrastinating. Thank you for allowing me to put off work for a few more minutes.

a.) I did not once say they stopped manufacturing it for any reason in my response. I said they were not making "bank", but that was not a reason to stop selling it.

c.) You have just as little proof for any of your points as I do, except mine make sense to anyone with knowledge of manufacturing.

Dude its better to just not argue with people like that. I gave up a long time ago. People don't want to be educated in terms of what goes in to actually making and selling a product. They like the comfort of knowing it jus shows up on a shelf and they can buy it. I mean its that simple right?

There are multi-billion dollar international companies that still struggle with product initialization, commercialization, supply chain and costing and pricing.

Shit changes so fast in MFG that even the beat laid plans get fucked.

I get you though man, worked several years with MFG, Planning, Forecasting and Commercialization with a laege Mfg it isn't simple stuff and when products had to be discontinued there were/are always good reasons.

I think the best track of thought here was that Nintendo never intended the Classic to be anything more than a one off to get them through an empty calendar/holiday cycle.

History/market analysis shows that these clone systems don't usually sell a ton so they clearly underestimated demand and were caught off guard. When they went back to MFG more something probably came up, either higher costs for raws, mfg, timing whatever in the 1000 things that go in to making a product caused the GMROI to get out of whack and make it not worthwhile to Nintendo.

See, folks, if Nintendo was truly making 'bank' as many of you claim, they wouldn't have stopped making it. Thats not how corporations make decisions. It is very evident that something changed the cost calculation and made a better investment of capital somewhere else. Like, I dunno, the mfg and inventory of Switch devices they just upped their estimates on. Hmmm.

But what do I know? Only been in this stuff for 15 years....

Edit for reference I don't believe the Snes Mini rumors, but it is possible i guess if they plan on switching bakc and forth betwee these things yearly etc. the real thing is none of us work for Nintendo nor have an Uncle their so none of us truly know what their planning and costing is, we can only take some educated guesses, well some people can at least.

Oh, we’re doing lists now.

Well allow me to retort using your modality.

1. I responded specifically to your bullshit claim that the NES Classic would only net Nintendo a five-dollar profit, which is not only entirely unsubstantiated but would also represent a massive paradigm shift for a company that has always – almost without exception – made significant profits on hardware. Even more interesting is that nowhere in my post do I mention – either directly or indirectly – anything about why they stopped manufacturing it. You either cannot hold the central thread of this discussion in focus or you’re trying to deflect now.

2. For my words to be superfluous, they’d have to be entirely unnecessary, yet my words do precisely as intended and communicate my point and they do so in a relatively concise and truncated manner, so either you don’t know what that word actually means or your grasp is so tenuous as to have caused you to misuse it. Also, attacking my wordplay is trite and juvenile, especially when nothing I’ve written is particularly erudite.

3. As to proof, I have the storied and documented history of the company as well as hardware breakdowns of the NES Classic, such as this: http://gizmodo.com/the-new-mini-nes-guts-are-just-a-tiny-linux-computer-1788664102

I don’t pretend to be an expert in such things but there is at least some measure of common sense and logic that would suggest Nintendo didn’t go through all of this trouble for a few bucks per unit, especially given what’s actually inside the box coupled with the company’s philosophy on profit.

But it’s fine if you want to keep waxing intellectual because I can bust up bloviates like you all day.

You guys are fighting on fucking CAG...don't you have something better to do? Say...I don't know...uselessly spending money on video games you're never going to play?

lol this is what I picture you to look like when I read your posts

nintendo-nerd-king.jpg

You troll so hard dude. And please stop PMing me, I don't want to be in your clan.
So know you're resorting to personal attacks because your arguments are dogshit?

You are basically a living flowchart of the typical internet pissant who - when shown the illogical underpinnings of his supposedly intelligent blather- resorts to google images and memes in hopes of obfuscating their intellectual failings.

But if it makes you feel better to believe that's me, go with god, little fella.

But what do I know? Only been in this stuff for 15 years....
I’m perfectly happy to be edified because I don’t have your experience and I’m not going to pretend otherwise.

That said, you and I both know the notion that Nintendo was only making five bucks per unit is bullshit and highly unlikely.

bread's done
Back