YMMV TRU Skylanders Starter Pack $47.59 with $20 Gift Card

dyne22

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!Sorry no pictures, I don't have a scanner or a phone with a camera.!
Hey, so I succumbed to this game and went to TRU (OKC) after I saw this in today's ads:

http://toysrus.shoplocal.com/toysru...d-these-SUPER-DEALS-and-more-in-this-weeks-ad

This week's ad (Dec 11-Dec 17) shows on Page 33 that you get a free $20 gift card with any Skylanders Starter Pack purchase.
I decided to try and spend $100 in Skylanders to get the free Skylander, use the extra 20% WOW deals coupon, and use a bonus savings $10 off any purchase of $100 or more.

I thought I did the math right, but the cashier surprised me with total of $92.80. I also glanced and saw that the Skylanders Starter Pack rang up as $59.99 instead of the MSRP $69.99. (There were no signs indicating any kind of sale for the starter packs, only the figures/adventure packs).

Long story short: On the receipt under PS3 Skylanders Starter PK
15% OFF ITEMS 69.99 - 10.50
20% OFF ITEM 59.49 - 11.90
TOTAL 47.59
I got the $20 gift card and my receipt says I saved $74.32.:D

It seems as though the extra 20% isn't limited to only item.
Selection was small, but it might be worthwhile for anyone still on the fence.

Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up OP - picked up the Starter Set for XBOX, both expansion packs, and a $20 GC for $65. they didn't have any of the singles or i would've went for broke and used the $10/$100 coupon as well.

if you present the coupon and they scan it, it takes off 20% off all the skylander stuff i tried (starter set, expansion set, and singles - i went to another store where they had two singles left). i didn't see it listed as a WOW deal either, but hey, it works.

Good to hear :)
Yeah, it shows that the figures/adventure packs are part of the WOW deals,
but i got my starter pack as well as a 3figure pack discounted too. It was a nice surprise at checkout.

I already had the :ps3: Starter Pack so I picked up the :3ds: version for $47.59 with a $20 GC using the WOW coupon. Thanks so much for the post, OP :)

even though i have yet to play the game, i was up at 6 AM driving to another TRU like a drug-fueled crack head looking for more Skylanders. I now have 14 & both expansions (after also going to Wal-Mart). some of them are pretty difficult to find (i'm looking at you ignitor).

[quote name='knight19']even though i have yet to play the game, i was up at 6 AM driving to another TRU like a drug-fueled crack head looking for more Skylanders. I now have 14 & both expansions (after also going to Wal-Mart). some of them are pretty difficult to find (i'm looking at you ignitor).[/QUOTE]

Does Ignitor come in a single pack? I thought it only came with the DS bundle.

[quote name='BLAZETIGER']Does Ignitor come in a single pack? I thought it only came with the DS bundle.[/QUOTE]

Ignitor is only available in the 3DS bundle. Maybe, they will release it as a single pack later?

Ignitor is a 3ds exclusive for 6 months. Then he will be released on his own with the last wave of skylanders.

Try finding a Skylanders Dragon's Peak Adventure Pack, those seemed to have slipped out with wave 2 accidentally. I've been tracking it down ever since.

Thanks op, I'm gonna head over to TRU to get the 3ds bundle.

[quote name='bigsick']are the wow deals just good for today, or is it all week?[/QUOTE]

The WOW deals end today. You'll need the coupon from the TRU ad to get 20% off.

[quote name='kk012']I already had the :ps3: Starter Pack so I picked up the :3ds: version for $47.59 with a $20 GC using the WOW coupon. Thanks so much for the post, OP :)[/QUOTE]

Did exactly the same thing.

Yesterday I bought both of the Adventure Packs using two 10 for 20 from google offers. Got this earlier.

Just went back and used the $20 gift card and bought 3 more figures for 17.17 with tax.

Total Number of figures = 20. Only missing Boomer, Voodood, Sonic Boom, and Drill Sergeant.

Not looking to get them until there is a good sale later on, and/or I may need them as filler or something in buy two get one free or something or other.

All together, though, I have ONLY :roll: spent $160 w/tax.

And I assured myself I wouldn't get into it... :cry: :) :D :lol:

The air, fire, and woods figures are in short supply around here. I did see drill sgt at walmart, he's an exclusive there...

used the card in michgian, however i got some 30% bonus off and not the 15 reducing the price to 39.19 before taxes and payed 41.54 althogether (also used my R us card but i'm not sure thats why my price was lower.

[quote name='royalbliss1']Does anyone have an opinion of which is the better system to pick this up for?[/QUOTE]

I went with the PS3, because if there is ever an update/patch it would probably not work on the Wii. Don't own a 360.

My only question is... Do you need to get any particular "figure" to unlock trophies/achievements? If yes, I better hunt for that "figure" now...

thanks for the heads up OP, picked it up before they closed for 47 plus gc, combined with the google special offers, this was an awesome deal

I did not have a 20% wow coupon today, but I was able to pick up the starter pack at 15% off as well as the $20gc + 1mo of XBL that came with the 360 version. I wish I bought that Google Offer too, but I rarely ever shop at TRU and I only learned about the deal yesterday. Oh well, some savings is better that none!

[quote name='Serpentor']My only question is... Do you need to get any particular "figure" to unlock trophies/achievements? If yes, I better hunt for that "figure" now...[/QUOTE]

The three that come should be enough. Having more earns you in-game Accolades, which increase how much XP you get. I was at 175% XP, and waiting to see what another 8 figures does to the boost.

The 360 is best imho - it plugs in via USB - then you don't have to buy batteries. Also the 360 one plugs into the pc so you can use it for the web game if you install the drivers (which also seem to like IE better than firefox)- web game which has a shooting game and angry birds style game- the online game is pretty buggy still tho as still in beta.

Just wanted to thank the OP. (Or smack the crap out of him! LOL) I went from thinking the shark and pirate ship set were kind of cool but it was all too expensive to owning the :ps3: starter, both adventure packs, and 10 additional figures. :drool:

The game is fun. Time definitely flies while playing. I kind of wish I'd had the foresight to pick up the retailer exclusives since they are long gone, but it's no big deal. Fire and Air are extremely hard to come by in my area, but I was able to snag one of each, so I'm good. :)

Thanks OP! I went with the 3DS version for the Dark Spyro exculsive. Im sure it's probably the same as the regular Spyro figure in game but this one just looked cooler to me.

[quote name='DonWii']The three that come should be enough. Having more earns you in-game Accolades, which increase how much XP you get. I was at 175% XP, and waiting to see what another 8 figures does to the boost.[/QUOTE]
cool, thanks... I'm interested in trying it out, but spent too much money this holiday, I rather wait for a better sale (those over sized bundles always get marked down after the trend dies).

[quote name='Serpentor']My only question is... Do you need to get any particular "figure" to unlock trophies/achievements? If yes, I better hunt for that "figure" now...[/QUOTE]

The game can be 1,000-pointed with just the 3 starters. I would have 1kpointed it myself if it wasn't for the 99% unskippable cutscenes during boss fights. I couldn't handle listening to Kaos' endless rants any longer.

[quote name='Kerig']The game can be 1,000-pointed with just the 3 starters. I would have 1kpointed it myself if it wasn't for the 99% unskippable cutscenes during boss fights. I couldn't handle listening to Kaos' endless rants any longer.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, although I would like to pick up some extra figures myself, particularly a Stealth Elf.

Ok, I took advantage of the XBOX Starter Set when this was first posted, using the WOW coupon and receiving the $20 GC. Any comparable offers for the 3DS set? I must have Ignitor! :)

only comparable price I ever found was only this deal, 3DS version is sold for the same price as this game's console version (which sucks because it is a nice change of pace) I don't see this game going down in price until the console game price lowers(which i think will happen either after christmas or whenever that last pack of figures comes out)

So I assume the TRU deal is over, with regards to the incentivees for picking up the 3DS version? I'll just wait till next 'go round then :)

I've got a pet peeve here with this "deal". All the WOW coupons I've looked up expired on 12/10.

In the future, it would be nice to see it in the title, like this:
Skylanders $48 with WOW coupon at Toys R Us.

And then, as a courtesy, give us a link to the legitimate coupon, or at least where to find it, as it appears that it's existence is not common knowledge. The intent of this site is to make these obscure deals and details common to the community. And while I appreciate the lengthy explanation of the math on the deal in the OP, the most important piece of information necessary to complete this deal, shouldn't have been glossed over.

Thanks.

[quote name='bmulligan']I've got a pet peeve here with this "deal". All the WOW coupons I've looked up expired on 12/10.

And then, as a courtesy, give us a link to the legitimate coupon, or at least where to find it, as it appears that it's existence is not common knowledge. The intent of this site is to make these obscure deals and details common to the community. And while I appreciate the lengthy explanation of the math on the deal in the OP, the most important piece of information necessary to complete this deal, shouldn't have been glossed over.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Instead of giving attitude and complaining after the deal is expired you could have asked where to find the coupon you had trouble finding(others seemed to have no trouble). It was in the 2 day sale ad in the paper and online. The next couple of posts after the OP explained where you could have found the coupon.

i thought i clearly posted the url in the first post. I copy and pasted the url right from the ad I was looking at. I also mentioned the source stating, " TRU (OKC) after I saw this in today's ads." www.toysrus.com then click on ads... the WOW coupon was on the first page. Sorry that the link didn't send people directly to the page like I thought it would.

The WOW coupons were for the 16th and the 17th, and the $20 gift card with the purchase of the starter pack ended on the 17th.
I saw the ad on the 16th after a long day of finals, so yes the window of opportunity was quite small.

The 20% off the starter packs with the WOW coupon might've been a mistake. The coupon was advertised to only work on single figures/adventure packs. Therefore, I put in YMMV instead of DECLARING that the WOW coupon was a 100% certainty.

[quote name='bmulligan']

[/QUOTE]
This suggested title leaves out the $20 Gift Card, which I believe was what made people bite on the deal. Sorry you missed out :(
Thanks for the constructive criticism, this was my first time posting a deal.

bread's done
Back