YMMV Uncharted 3 CE converted used @ Gamestop(extras being given/thrown away)

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
NO STEELBOX INCLUDED

Gamestop being Gamestop instead of dropping the price of the CE they so wisely decided to convert the "new" copies to used & they'll either just give away the extras or throw them away. I was able to score 1 yesterday(8/27) looks like this just started towards days end & with all the Midnight Madden stuff alot of GS employees weren't able to start doing this so act fast.
Good Hunting

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/uncharted-3-drakes-deception-collectors-edition/91256

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVEliR65I9E

I don't understand why they'd throw it away. Why not do something good with them and donate to Goodwill?

loads of businesses do that, clothing stores will destroy stuff instead of donate it because the company already donated to charity and they are being paid for the stuff that didn't sell so policy says to destroy it otherwise its defined as theft...

[quote name='superhippy1986']Why would a company give that away? Are you just being funny?[/QUOTE]

Some might lol, you'd have to be really lucky or a really good customer though.

A friend of mine got a crap-ton of Guitar Hero accessories when they emptied those out before.

So how would this work? Just go into into a GS and ask for the stuff? Or do you just get to purchase it at a used price?

I'm wondering the same thing. Did you just go in and ask for the extras and they happily handed them over without you having to purchase anything!?

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']I'm wondering the same thing. Did you just go in and ask for the extras and they happily handed them over without you having to purchase anything!?[/QUOTE]

If they don't gve me one & they hand it out to someone else in front of me I'll call BS then call them out...

[quote name='Daviddenton3']loads of businesses do that, clothing stores will destroy stuff instead of donate it because the company already donated to charity and they are being paid for the stuff that didn't sell so policy says to destroy it otherwise its defined as theft...[/QUOTE]

Which is bad policy. Goes to show how wasteful we are. I watch gamestop dumpster diving videos on youtube when I watch video games pick ups. As disgusting as it is to dumpster dive which I wouldn't do its disgusting what people find from gamestop dumpsters. I see complete working games to strategy guides with nothing wrong with them.

Kind of boggles your mind when you think of what are country calls waste.

[quote name='superhippy1986']Why would a company give that away? Are you just being funny?[/QUOTE]Have you been to GS when they're ridding themselves of penny guides & other stuff like this. They just pull the items they're keeping & put the rest in a box that will go into the trash. All they're keeping is the steelbox & game.

Remember this is the same company who throws out PS2 cases/manuals & puts them in sleeves "to save space" not realizing more people will buy them complete.

[quote name='BuDdyLe']So how would this work? Just go into into a GS and ask for the stuff? Or do you just get to purchase it at a used price?[/QUOTE]If you want the game too call the store & ask since you're actually buying the game they'll just hold it for you. But I was purchasing some PSvita, PSP & wii(b2g1) stuff & they guys just said "hey you like the extra junk in the UC3 CE? We're converting them to used & gonna throw this stuff out that we can't give away to customers so you want one of the last 2?"
Obviously, I said hell yeah & thanks.

[quote name='needler420']Which is bad policy. Goes to show how wasteful we are. I watch gamestop dumpster diving videos on youtube when I watch video games pick ups. As disgusting as it is to dumpster dive which I wouldn't do its disgusting what people find from gamestop dumpsters. I see complete working games to strategy guides with nothing wrong with them.

Kind of boggles your mind when you think of what are country calls waste.[/QUOTE]

This happens at a lot of places. I used to see reports from people doing it at stores like Best Buy and pulling out pretty nice electronics that didn't sell on clearance or were discarded for some other reason. The response? Locks on the dumpsters. What a terrible waste of resources.

I have no interest in doing so, but dumpster diving a store like GameStop doesn't sound too awful to me. Other than some empty lunch containers and the trash from the employee restroom, how bad can it be? Of course I've never worked a retail job so I guess it's possible they may share dumpsters with adjacent stores. Now, freegan dumpster diving is another matter. That's waaaaaaaaay beyond the line.

Man there are 5 GS within 10 miles that say either Low Stock or In stock but its like an hour away.

Any chance they would send it to me or send to a closer GS? It is just silly if all 5 had atleast 1 but destroyed atleast 5 of them

[quote name='sidewalkhustla']Just got back from GS. People had taken most of the stuff already but they had a statue left. Thanks OP[/QUOTE]

so did you just ask for it? did you buy anything?

[quote name='Abeja']Man there are 5 GS within 10 miles that say either Low Stock or In stock but its like an hour away.

Any chance they would send it to me or send to a closer GS? It is just silly if all 5 had atleast 1 but destroyed atleast 5 of them[/QUOTE]did you call the low stock ones? This has just happened so chances are good that you can at least score some of the better swag if not all btwn that # of stores.

[quote name='Joshe']so did you just ask for it? did you buy anything?[/QUOTE]

No purchase necessary lol. I just called my closest store and said "Hey, I heard you're getting rid of UC3 collector's edition extras" They said, "yeah people took most of the stuff already but we have some statues left if you want one," so I drove down there, picked it up, and walked out

[quote name='sidewalkhustla']No purchase necessary lol. I just called my closest store and said "Hey, I heard you're getting rid of UC3 collector's edition extras" They said, "yeah people took most of the stuff already but we have some statues left if you want one," so I drove down there, picked it up, and walked out[/QUOTE]

oh, ok, thanks!

Get our at work at 5, hoping my store still has some stuff by then...

side note, my store actually has a *IN STOCK instead of *low stock

*fingers crossed* :bouncy:

[quote name='superhippy1986']So it's just the extra stuff not the game? Well then... Meh[/QUOTE]

If your store hasn't taken it apart yet, the whole CE will ring up as $18.99. It's basically the same price as a regular pre-owned copy now. But yeah, probably no free game :)

these collectors items aren't anything special. drake looks like crap and the wearables are rather silly. this is all IMO but even though each store near me has them in stock I think I will pass.

If the statue was of skelzor I would have pre ordered that crap.

[quote name='AFC']If your store hasn't taken it apart yet, the whole CE will ring up as $18.99. It's basically the same price as a regular pre-owned copy now. But yeah, probably no free game :)[/QUOTE]

Collector editions aren't worth anything... The normal editions are worth more because not as many want a statue of a game character... And for $18.99!? Madness......

[quote name='the_ENEMY_']these collectors items aren't anything special. drake looks like crap and the wearables are rather silly. this is all IMO but even though each store near me has them in stock I think I will pass.

If the statue was of skelzor I would have pre ordered that crap.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree. I mainly wanted this for the steelbook and the game, which I'll probably beat and trade-in. Can hold out for the GOTY to drop since I'm not interested in most of the DLC.

The only statue-type collector item I've ever kept is the Doctor jack-in-the-box from AC Brotherhood. All the other ones I keep out for a while, lose interest, and then re-sell it with the CE box for more than I bought them for. So it all tends to work out anyway.

[quote name='the_ENEMY_']these collectors items aren't anything special. drake looks like crap and the wearables are rather silly. this is all IMO but even though each store near me has them in stock I think I will pass.

If the statue was of skelzor I would have pre ordered that crap.[/QUOTE] all the fuss over Deadliest Warrior b/c it was free I'd rather complete this CE by getting the game cheap & the extras for free instead

[quote name='superhippy1986']So it's just the extra stuff not the game? Well then... Meh[/QUOTE]Of course they're not giving away the game for free...I mean who do you think they are BestBuy? Their mag doesn't even have coupons LOL.
You will be able to get PS3 games for free once PS4 nears it's 5th yr.

[quote name='superhippy1986']Collector editions aren't worth anything... The normal editions are worth more because not as many want a statue of a game character... And for $18.99!? Madness......[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't think I've ever net spent on a CE unless I really felt like it, so it usually doesn't hurt to snag one cheap imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please put YMMV in title OP. Some of employees actually know their stuff and do not give to customers (as they don't need to) and keep for themselves (as their official policy is to throw everything away and some actually do). Your posts make it sound like they give the CE stuff away like candy. Cool employees give it away, alot are sticklers for the rules.

Hmmm, a good amount of stores show up as having low stock around me, not sure it's worth the drive and my time though

So I called 2 stores in Woodbridge (NJ), 1 store in Linden (NJ), 1 store in Edison (NJ), and 1 store in Staten Island (NY) and I was told that either they didn't sell the collector's edition at all or that they had already destroyed them. It is really unfortunate because some stores listed it as in stock online which makes me believe that they decided to keep it for themselves. Oh well.

[quote name='Enuf']all the fuss over Deadliest Warrior b/c it was free I'd rather complete this CE by getting the game cheap & the extras for free instead

Of course they're not giving away the game for free...I mean who do you think they are BestBuy? Their mag doesn't even have coupons LOL.
You will be able to get PS3 games for free once PS4 nears it's 5th yr.[/QUOTE]

I laughed....

[quote name='sidewalkhustla']Just got back from GS. People had taken most of the stuff already but they had a statue left. Thanks OP[/QUOTE]

[quote name='nixmahn']Please put YMMV in title OP. Some of employees actually know their stuff and do not give to customers (as they don't need to) and keep for themselves (as their official policy is to throw everything away and some actually do). Your posts make it sound like they give the CE stuff away like candy. Cool employees give it away, alot are sticklers for the rules.[/QUOTE]From what people have posted on deals like these before & what's being posted now that's what happens. They would rather give it away & be done with it rather than spend time picking items out. If you notice there's hasn't been a rash of "they wouldn't give it me" posts. ^^^
This isn't very unusual for GS really either, no different than the penny guides which they throw away & give away. You can usually see it coming when there's a box or stack of stuff on the floor or in boxes just ask them.

Just picked up the last one at a store around me.

photoxbe.jpg

And it's actually new and not GS new, so thanks very much for this Enuf. ^__^

[quote name='DCpinoy']Best not to call with this type of deal. If it's close enough, just make the drive.[/QUOTE]

What you do is say "I checked online and it says you have blh blah available." That way they either check for you if they are not in the know. If they flat out deny you then they know and don't want to be hassled/keeping it themselves or already checked it already.

[quote name='Enuf']From what people have posted on deals like these before & what's being posted now that's what happens. They would rather give it away & be done with it rather than spend time picking items out. If you notice there's hasn't been a rash of "they wouldn't give it me" posts. ^^^
This isn't very unusual for GS really either, no different than the penny guides which they throw away & give away. You can usually see it coming when there's a box or stack of stuff on the floor or in boxes just ask them.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point when word got out to managment about the guides. DM started to crack down on the pennied guides. Making it sound like they are giving it away freely makes noobs feel entitled and they make a big stink about it and when they fail, DM's crack down on the practice.

EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO THE GUIDES. Maybe your area has not been affected by the crack down on the guides but many CAG'ers can tell you different.

It may not happend alot as CE's of games are itself YMMY and the midnight madness of Madden has left many employess busy and not paying attention to this "drop". It is not their policy to give free stuff away (cool employees do and pretty much up to their discretion w/o oversite on the matter). Do not make it sound like it is or else management will correct it.

Picked one up yesterday. It was on a 11 foot ledge, took a ladder to get it down.

Went to another store down the street that also showed in stock online, and they said they converted it to used last week and trashed the box.

This CE, like most, is cheaply made garbage. Looking forward to playing the UC3 game, $20 was my buy point (CE or regular). The first 2 were a lot of fun.

Personally, I wouldn't drive around looking for one of these. Regular plastic cases look nicer than steel books IMO.

[quote name='nixmahn'] Exactly my point when word got out to managment about the guides. DM started to crack down on the pennied guides. Making it sound like they are giving it away freely makes noobs feel entitled and they make a big stink about it and when they fail, DM's crack down on the practice.

EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO THE GUIDES. Maybe your area has not been affected by the crack down on the guides but many CAG'ers can tell you different.

It may not happend alot as CE's of games are itself YMMY and the midnight madness of Madden has left many employess busy and not paying attention to this "drop". It is not their policy to give free stuff away (cool employees do and pretty much up to their discretion w/o oversite on the matter). Do not make it sound like it is or else management will correct it.[/QUOTE]fair enuf but I really wasn't going by my area though. I deliver supplies to all the GS in the Trenton/Hamilton/E. Winsor/W. Winsor/Princeton/Bordentown NJ stores along with Philly/Philly burbs stores too. And they're DM's usually order stuff for all the stores so I end up hitting 15-20 stores in a weeks time so in general convo they all say the same things. Usually when it's that wide spread YMMV comes down to stock

[quote name='Enuf']fair enuf but I really wasn't going by my area though. I deliver supplies to all the GS in the Trenton/Hamilton/E. Winsor/W. Winsor/Princeton/Bordentown NJ stores along with Philly/Philly burbs stores too. And they're DM's usually order stuff for all the stores so I end up hitting 15-20 stores in a weeks time so in general convo they all say the same things. Usually when it's that wide spread YMMV comes down to stock [/QUOTE]

I see what you did there ;)

Just called my GS and the lady said they sold out this morning. Might check anyway since I'll drive by on my way home from work, but not expecting to find anything.

So there is a new copy at my Gamestop, do i just go there and purchase it and it will ring up as used? I dont quite follow how this work....

[quote name='Enuf']did you call the low stock ones? This has just happened so chances are good that you can at least score some of the better swag if not all btwn that # of stores.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but its like an hour drive to the GS. I could hit them all up and hoard them but im too lazy. By time I get up there they will probably be destroyed.

[quote name='LD_Helix']So there is a new copy at my Gamestop, do i just go there and purchase it and it will ring up as used? I dont quite follow how this work....[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what should happen

[quote name='LD_Helix']So there is a new copy at my Gamestop, do i just go there and purchase it and it will ring up as used? I dont quite follow how this work....[/QUOTE]

If they try to scan it in it won't show up because the sky is no longer active, so they will have to sell it to you under the used sku since it is only available one for the game.

Website said that the two Gamestops closest to me have "low stock" of the CE but when I called both said they didn't have any in stock. One of the dudes sounded very genuine but the other one sounded like a lying asshole. I think I'm going to go give his Gamestop a visit.

[quote name='Squarehard']If they try to scan it in it won't show up because the sky is no longer active, so they will have to sell it to you under the used sku since it is only available one for the game.[/QUOTE]

Wait!!! What happened to the sky?!

chicken+little+2.jpg

Grabbed a copy in NYC at the queens mall store. Last one. All the used copies were labeled 39 bucks so I was worried. After a few minutes it rung up at 18. walked out paying 20 and change. Happy!

managed to snag the box and statue. free is free, i guess. and now i can display the crappy statue without opening the one I won from the facebook promo a while back :D

bread's done
Back