Yoshi's New Island shipping.

MrGranger

CAGiversary!
Just got confirmation that Best Buy is shipping Yoshi's New Island.

yoshiislandmarch2014_14031121_616.jpg

I'll skip.  I'm burnt out on platformers, so I'm just not interested in an apparently mediocre one.  I loved the original on SNES, but didn't care much for the DS one, so I was already skeptical of this.

If there aren't some games announced at E3 that interest me, I'll probaby ditch my 3DS.  I haven't touched it since getting a Vita as I played all the released games that interested me.  Keeping my fingers crossed (but not holding my breath) for a new 2D Metroid.

Just picked this up for $17 (had a gift card from god knows when that I found in the junk drawer).  I loved the original but didn't really like the DS version... so this game will probably fall somewhere in between, which is OK.  Plus, my son is going to flip out when I bring it home tonight so that's worth $17 right there.

The reviews are low because the game doesn't try to add anything new to this 18 year old game. It's more like a step or two below.

I'm sticking with my Super Famicom version or the GBA one. I was excited about this game, including the new art style, but reading the reviews I'll pass for now considering the main criticism. I may not have been liking the art style too much, but I at least appreciate it for being different than pixel or the original's watercolors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I overestimated my son's reaction - "is that the game with baby Mario?" "Yes." "No thanks."

So now I need to decide if I want yo keep it or if I should just return it and wait for something else...

I overestimated my son's reaction - "is that the game with baby Mario?" "Yes." "No thanks." So now I need to decide if I want yo keep it or if I should just return it and wait for something else...
Well, on the 3DS front, there's Kirby Triple Deluxe and Mario Golf both coming out on May 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to be honest, this is, in my opinion, much better than the snes/gba version. I tried playing that one on the 3ds (I have ambassador status) and it was so bad I quit not far into it. I just really didn't like it. I'm not far into YNI, but it's really fun so far. I've already put 2 hours into it (didn't start til late tonight since I was committed to beating Luigi's Mansion first, and I didn't finish that til dinner time). It's really good, in my opinion. No regrets about paying full price.

I have to be honest, this is, in my opinion, much better than the snes/gba version. I tried playing that one on the 3ds (I have ambassador status) and it was so bad I quit not far into it. I just really didn't like it. I'm not far into YNI, but it's really fun so far. I've already put 2 hours into it (didn't start til late tonight since I was committed to beating Luigi's Mansion first, and I didn't finish that til dinner time). It's really good, in my opinion. No regrets about paying full price.
I don't think it is better than the SNES version (one of the Top 5 SNES games ever made, IMO) but it is a worthy sequel (and almost a carbon copy). It is easily the best game in the series since the SNES game. I'm still in World 1 but it is definitely not easy to get 100 on each level. So far I've only done it once on my first try and I've had to replay multiple times to even find everything let alone not get hit. It is also supposed to ramp up in terms of how difficult getting to 100 on each level is.

Oh yeah, I'm also extremely lazy and it wasn't worth the hour hassle to return it for only $17... even though I guess I paid full price with the giftcard helping me out... um, yeah.

I overestimated my son's reaction - "is that the game with baby Mario?" "Yes." "No thanks." So now I need to decide if I want yo keep it or if I should just return it and wait for something else...
I suggest you return him. Your son is clearly not a good one and needs to be replaced. ;)

The "problem" is that he really doesn't want to do anything except play Zelda.  He finished A Link Between Worlds and OoT and he is now playing through A Link To The Past.  He is also playing Wind Waker HD every chance he gets.  I've noticed that 2D side scrollers just don't appeal to kids his age.  Oh well... maybe when he's a little older.

Few nintendo games i waits for buy 2 get 1 Free deal from Target I don't want to pay full Price ;)  Still have have too many many many many many many many many many many  sealed games to play ;)

bread's done
Back