You think you text on your phone a lot?

H-Town Info

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Well, this 13-yard teenage girl sends/receives 14,500+ Text Messages.....In a Month!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01112009/news/nationalnews/this_kids_a_text_maniac_149614.htm

Greg Hardesty didn't LOL when he got his teen daughter's cellphone statement.

All he could think was "OMG!"

The California man's 13-year-old daughter, Reina, racked up an astonishing 14,528 text messages in one month. The online AT&T statement ran 440 pages.

"First, I laughed. I thought, 'That's insane, that's impossible,' " the 45-year-old dad said. "And I immediately whipped out the calculator to see if it was humanly possible."

He found it was - barely.

It works out to 484 text messages a day, or one every two minutes of every waking hour.

"Then I thought maybe AT&T made some mistake on the bill," said Hardesty, of Silverado Canyon.

The reporter for the Orange County Register grilled his daughter on her texting habit - by text message, of course.

"Who are you texting, anyway? Your entire school?" he asked.

"Well, a lot of my friends have unlimited texting. I just text them pretty much all the time," she explained.

She messages a core of "four obsessive texters" - all girls between the ages of 12 and 13 - on her LG phone.

Reina had a karaoke birthday party, and while other people were singing, she was texting her best friend sitting right next to her.

She even texted her friends to brag about the high number of text messages she had logged when her parents got the statement.

Her texting soared last month because "it was winter break and I was bored," Reina told her parents.

Luckily, Hardesty has a phone plan that allows unlimited texting for $30 a month. Otherwise, he estimates, he would have owed AT&T $2,905.60 at a rate of 20 cents per message.

The average number of monthly texts for a 13- to 17-year-old teen is 1,742, according to a Nielsen study of cellphone usage.

Hardesty admits he himself punches in 900 messages a month - 700 more than average for his age group, according to Nielsen.

Hardesty and his ex-wife have since placed restrictions on Reina's cellphone use, ruling she cannot text after dinner.

I haven't counted my sister's, but she uses the unlimited card from GO phone, and there's at least a couple thousand because she treats it like an instant messenger.

I just use MSN or AIM. :/ I don't even know how many lines I go through in a day, let alone a month.

Wait.
Wait.
If they have an unlimited plan, who cares how many text messages she makes? And why "no text after dinner!!11!"? It's stupid.

I have an unlimited text plan....I get to about 6,000-10,000..depends if I'm in a social mood that month :lol:

I do around 100-150 I'd guess. I finally buckled and got the $5 250 text plan a few months ago as I'd been over $5 the past couple months before that.

I don't much like texting, but a couple of my friends are always texting rather than calling when we're meeting somewhere, sending random pictures etc. so I've gotten sucked into using them a bit.

[quote name='lilboo']Wait.
Wait.
If they have an unlimited plan, who cares how many text messages she makes? And why "no text after dinner!!11!"? It's stupid.[/QUOTE]
You think it's okay to send 14.5 thousand text messages in a month?

That's like saying it doesn't matter that someone played WoW for 15 days worth of time in a month because, hey, he already paid $15 for the month.

Holy shit, how could the parents not notice the child texting that much? They were probably staring into their own phones! :rofl:

All in all, that's some pretty sad behavior. That kid is only 13 for damn sakes!

Even worse that the nation average for teens is almost 2,000 texts per month!

Well it never said if she was like.. failing classes or not doing chores or shit because of her excessive texting. It's really only a problem until it interferes with important stuff. Well, at least IMO.

[quote name='lilboo']Well it never said if she was like.. failing classes or not doing chores or shit because of her excessive texting. It's really only a problem until it interferes with important stuff. Well, at least IMO.[/QUOTE]

If you're averaging 1 text every 2 minutes you're awake, then it has to interfere with other stuff. Even worse when you consider the time spent in class etc. when you can't text, so that means a lot of the time she'd have to be texting a lot more than that to hit that average.

Doing anything that obsessively really isn't a good thing IMO. But of course there are many worse things a teenager could be doing than texting obsessively.

:rofl: Well yeah, if she's losing sleep that's pretty bad.

I text a lot. A LOT. But, all of my responsibilities are covered. It's what gets me through these gay days at work :eek:(

i text way too much as well... i just got a storm and its so great to text, email, IM.... ugh. no wonder my girlfriend hates the phone

i dont mind texting. I have a blackberry so im used it for pumping out texts and emails. But shit, thats alot. her fingers must have muscles now after texting that much.

Yeah, I've just never been huge into texting or IM etc. Rather just call someone up and talk to them. And even that I have to have a reason for. My girlfriend aside I don't call people up just to chat. I'm busy as hell and just never been one for small talk. I'm not socially awkward, shy or anything, just not much of a people person, so no need to be constantly communicating with my friends. Getting together a couple times a week is enough socialization for me. :D

And here I was pissed that my brother-in-law accidentally texted me once last weekend. And then again to say "oops, wrong person, lol." I'm gonna send him a bill for 20 cents.

I do not text.

[quote name='botticus']And here I was pissed that my brother-in-law accidentally texted me once last weekend. And then again to say "oops, wrong person, lol." I'm gonna send him a bill for 20 cents.

I do not text.[/quote]
You can turn texting off.

[quote name='botticus']And here I was pissed that my brother-in-law accidentally texted me once last weekend. And then again to say "oops, wrong person, lol." I'm gonna send him a bill for 20 cents.

I do not text.[/quote]

I feel the same way. I don't text at all, but my brother does all the time. It's actually really annoying because he has his phone set to very loud and plays horrible pop music when people text or call him, so everybody within the store can hear it.

I just don't get texting. What could you possibly be saying to another person that is interesting, especially when you just sent them a message two minutes before? It'd be one thing if there was even a shadow of a reason to do it, but my nieces and nephews do this shit constantly and I can't figure out even a fake need to do so. And I always ask them what they could be texting, and they never have an answer.

Side note: I hate it when internet jargon/slang/short hand ends up in an article, or really any other form of media/communication. There was a commercial recently that had people typing in these long phrases, asking at the end "How would YOU type LOL?"

And I kept thinking....you stupid fucks, you're sort of ruining the entire reason LOL was created in the first place.

isnt it funny nerds are moving to skype or other voice chat while the cool people are moving to texting?

[quote name='Strell']I just don't get texting. What could you possibly be saying to another person that is interesting, especially when you just sent them a message two minutes before? It'd be one thing if there was even a shadow of a reason to do it, but my nieces and nephews do this shit constantly and I can't figure out even a fake need to do so. And I always ask them what they could be texting, and they never have an answer.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't get it for the constant use. It's ok for texting a friend "I'm on the way", "meeting you at 7:30" etc. or other shit like that where it's quicker to punch it in than call and get stuck talking for a couple minutes.

But I hate when people send me long texts with questions etc. rather than just fucking calling me.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I hate texting.[/quote]

Agreed. This is why the kids of today will grow up to do... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It prevents you from actually socializing, which is why a lot of kids today cannot hold an actual conversation for more than 5 seconds. Absolutely pathetic.

I do not text.[/quote]

I have a friend just like you when it comes to texting... he is a real douchebag.

I remember hearing stories like this on HowardForums. I text probably 300-600 texts a month, depending on what is happening and so on.

I just cannot imagine making that many texts in one month.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That begs the question of why you're friends with someone you think's a douchebag.[/quote]

yeah, that is pretty funny.

I dunno, in college the kid was a little less, let's say, wound up.

Now he yells at us if we throw beer cans in the garbage at his house because he wants the nickel, even if it's your personal beer, and when I text him he calls me back saying next time I see him I owe him 20 cents and to never text him again.

Part cheap SOB, part asshole I guess.

Yeah, I'd say it's time to end that "friendship." I learned years ago that friendships weren't holding on to for old times sake. They're either a good friend in the present or not a friend at all.

I can think of one that's worse than getting charged 20 cents... Getting pic mail from people and then having Sprint think oh ok, I guess that automatically means he want to sign up and we can charge him $5.00 a mo. :roll:

Now picture messages are the one thing that I think makes it worth it to have the $5 plan. I get a lot of funny pics from friends on top of all the random texts I could do without.

Well, then maybe it's time to change friends. I probably get good pics from my friends but I'm not motivated enough to try loading, viewing and getting charge for them. fuck that, I have email. At least I'm getting my money worth with txting (free). It doesn't cost the c phone companies anything for us to be sending and receiving txt but it cost $5 for pic?! yeah, right... spare me.

I'm not that batshit, but I can frighteningly relate. Hope that girl has a full keyboard phone to save her time!

The real story here is that there is person that is 13 yards in height.

I jest. ;)

I text a considerable amount, but not obsessively. I also text in complete sentences with proper spelling and grammar. And oddly enough, my friends do as well. :whistle2:k

[quote name='VipFREAK'] At least I'm getting my money worth with txting (free). It doesn't cost the c phone companies anything for us to be sending and receiving txt but it cost $5 for pic?! yeah, right... spare me.[/QUOTE]

Huh? The $5 is for 250 texts, pic or video messages. At least with verizon. Otherwise it's 20 (or 25) cents a text and 75 cents a pic/video message. If you pay more for the unlimited texting that includes unlimted text and video messages.

Nothing to do to load or view them either other than just openign the message like you would any text message.

I honestly don't get what people are texting either. I'm 22, in college, had a phone since 16 and never fell into that texting craze. I'm lucky to send 2-3 text messages a year, and that's usually at a loud concert when I'm meeting some friends and the music is too loud to talk on the phone. When someone sends me a text message, it costs money...so I call them back. Why takes hours typing thousands of text messages to say a bunch of nothing, when you can call the person and say the samething in a matter of minutes. Its hard to have conversations with friends anymore, because they are too destracted texting random people. I'm sticking to my guns, and not falling into this lame craze.

[quote name='Chase']
I text a considerable amount, but not obsessively. I also text in complete sentences with proper spelling and grammar. And oddly enough, my friends do as well. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I would if I had a phone with a QWERTY key board. Too much trouble to go into the menu and select symbols to get a period, etc. etc.

Spelling I do use proper--other than missing apostrophes as again it's to much trouple to go into the menu and change to symbols.

Some people prefer quick texts to quick calls because, well, text-ing is somewhat discreet while voice calls involve, you know, sound (sounds, if one greets their friends with animal calls).

Many of my friends are girls, so I suppose that could be another reason why I text a lot. :whistle2:k

Edit:

[quote name='dmaul1114']I would if I had a phone with a QWERTY key board. Too much trouble to go into the menu and select symbols to get a period, etc. etc.

Spelling I do use proper--other than missing apostrophes as again it's to much trouple to go into the menu and change to symbols.[/quote]

It's just a peeve of mine. :oops:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Huh? The $5 is for 250 texts, pic or video messages. At least with verizon. Otherwise it's 20 (or 25) cents a text and 75 cents a pic/video message.[/quote]

My bill total is $28. Txting is free and unlimited. Anything else I don't know, nor do I care to use it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']My bill total is $28. Txting is free and unlimited. Anything else I don't know, nor do I care to use it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, you just have a sweet deal then. What provider do you have? I didn't think any carriers did free texting.

My bill is around $43 after taxes and fees--that's Verizion with the $5 a month for 250 text/pic/video messages and 450 anytime minutes and a 19% discount through my employer.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Ah, you just have a sweet deal then. What provider do you have? I didn't think any carriers did free texting.[/quote]

I have Sprint's old fair n flexible which is... $35 a month? I just renewed and they gave me two deals if I renewed. $70 back or 10% each month for 24mo. I did the later. I was pretty close to just ending having a C phone altogether and telling everyone tough luck. If I talked more than I'd text I'd sooo be some where else, but C phone prices these days are a fucking FAIL period.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I didn't think any carriers did free texting.[/quote]

They don't that I know of but, I was able to get it since I called them complaining about how much they suck and that I was threatening to leave.

Was going to make a 13-yard comment, but I see I've been beaten.

I text 100 or so times a month max. I text my gf rather than calling when I want to know where she is or something.

I hope that 14k includes both ways (since they charge you for both). If so, they seem to have missed that fact for the entire article.

If that doesn't include both ways then I wouldn't have that many texts in a month if I texted every IM, email, and verbal conversation I had.

I send about 1,000 a month. I have unlimited for free, so why not use it. And most people say, "LOL, just call them". But I do most of my texting in school, that's why I can't call. 35 texts a day isn't bad. Especially since I send most of them during Calculus. :whistle2:( Calc is uber fucking boring if you know everything already.

EDIT: Also, yes, receiving a text counts as one. So I only send about 500 a month, and I receive 500.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I have Sprint's old fair n flexible which is... $35 a month? I just renewed and they gave me two deals if I renewed. $70 back or 10% each month for 24mo. I did the later. I was pretty close to just ending having a C phone altogether and telling everyone tough luck. If I talked more than I'd text I'd sooo be some where else, but C phone prices these days are a fucking FAIL period.
[/QUOTE]

I couldn't go with out a cell phone, but the prices don't bother me much since I dropped a land line years ago. It's just too convenient to always have a phone on you, especially when you travel a lot.

[quote name='DestroVega']i pay 10 bucks a month for unlimited everything i believe[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what it is. I just do the $5 as I've never went over 250 a month yet.

bread's done
Back