Your Apartment/House/Room/Cave

Temporaryscars

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
This was inspired by the "I'm Moving to California" thread.

So, how much do you pay and for what kind of place? I'm interested in how pricing differs from area to area and state to state. I'll start off.

I live in a room. Yes, a room in a house filled with a bunch of other people. We all share a kitchen and I share a bathroom with one person. The room is about 11 X 13 and for that I payyyyyyyyyy.....

......about $450 a month including utilities. Thats the mid hudson valley for ya.

The two apartments I rented in college were 350 and 375. The 350 was more like a cheap house. A garage apartment thing 2 car garrage on the bottom with about 15x15 living room a 15x15 bedroom a small bath and kitchen. The other was a mediocre apartment with 2 bedrooms one 15x15 and one 12x12 a bath, and a kitchen. Sometimes its good to live in South.

I rented a 1 bedroom apartment for $600 (800 canadian) in toronto. It had a living room, hallway, kitchen and bathroom. It was the second floor of a 2 apartment building. Included utilities (water, electricity etc.). Also got my driveway shovelled, since the woman downstairs had to be in work before I had to be at class, so she shoveled.

I could have had a better place for about $400. It had all the same rooms and also paid utilities. It was also about a 15 minute walk from class. It didn't have a private entrance though (you had to go through someones kitchen, which was the main reason it was so cheap) and, frankly, it was intimidating. Everyone there was either a senior or a graduate student and between 3-6 years older than me. Also there was an incredibly hot woman there who was probably 24 or 25. I'd take it now, but as a college freshman I just felt extremely out of place and in over my head.

2004-2005 Cincinnati, OH: 1 bedroom in a 3 bedroom apt. with shared bathroom, living room, and kitchen- $275/month

2006 San Francisco, CA: 1 bedroom in a 2 bedroom apt. with shared bathroom, living room, and kitchen- $750/month

2006 Cincinnati, OH: 1 bedroom in a 2 bedroom apt. with shared bathroom, living room, kitchen and... backyard!!!- $385/month

Electricity/water/trash/internet/cable run about the same in all locations; above prices ONLY include rent.

I am currently buying a house and the payments are rough $575 a month, just for the house. I'll throw in the dimensions later.

Throw in Utilities, Gas, and Cable (phone/internet in one) its roughly $850ish a month average, as I haven't added cable yet and haven't really had to use too much gas since there is no need for heat right now.

2003: ~$500 a month splitting a two bedroom apartment near campus in Cleveland Heights.
2004: $625 a month for a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment, 770 sq. ft. in Mayfield Heights.
2005: $654 a month for a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment, 700 sq. ft (mgmt in the previous place started to piss me off) in Mayfield Heights
2006: $850 a month (new heating surcharge) for a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath apartment with my fiancee, 1000 sq. ft. 3 floors up from my last place.

So yeah, 4 places in 4 years out of undergrad. Not planning on moving again till after we get married and either relocate or get a house.

$975/mo. mortgage on a 4 bed / 2 bath house that my wife and I own in Atlanta.

God I hate this town...but at least real estate is still affordable.

I have a ghetto studio that is of good size for one person. I pay $875 a month (includes a parking space)...sadly, this is actually a good price for an apartment around here. Most people have roommates but I have too much stuff as it is, hehe.

My friend, who lives in Portland, rents a brand new 3 bedroom 2 bathroom townhouse with a kitchen/living room/etc. for $950 a month (divide that by 3...). Damn the cost of living in the Bay Area!

[quote name='vietgurl']I have a ghetto studio that is of good size for one person. I pay $875 a month (includes a parking space)...sadly, this is actually a good price for an apartment around here.

My friend, who lives in Portland, rents a brand new 3 bedroom 2 bathroom townhouse with a kitchen/living room/etc. for $950 a month (divide that by 3...). Damn the cost of living in the Bay Area![/quote]

Studios go for the same here as well.

I'm stuck at home for the moment. But my sister has a 2 bedroom on the halfway bad part of town for $450 a month. She has to pay Power, and water as well.

1100 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apt. in the "valley"--couple of miles north of Los Angeles. apt is safe and quiet although its near the "ghetto" area.

I pay $352 for a 700 sq foot one-bedroom apartment. Apartments like mine are ubiquitous around here, but I chose this particular complex because it includes central heat/air, a dishwasher, and great laundry facilities.

I pay 600 one a one bedroom. Used to be 500 but our greedy landlord decided to go up a 100 bucks because my best friend has been crashing here.. I honestly hate the place because me and my partner can't have our dogs here

Funny thing is is that my best friend should be added to the lease as it stated it in the other one, but she hasn't said anything. I have a feeling that shes just pocketing the money and not counting it towards taxes and such. If so its gonna be "Hello Mr/Ms IRS man/woman!!!" I hate the greedy bitch

I live in Gainesville (college town) Florida. My friend's parents bought a condo, and I pay half the morgage every month. So I pay 530$ a month which includes all the utilities/internet/cool tv stations. Condo itself is a bachelors pad, pretty bad ass. two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen and alittle dining room, then the living room is awesome cause of the high ceilings with a loft that looks over it. Hard to describe...everyone should just come visit.

fairhaven, ma 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath, 1500sq ft (.not including a fully furnished basement) townhouse with a big back yard. Mortgage is $1260 w/town taxes included, utilities $400(heat,electiricity,water,cable,highspeed internet,phone) $150 assoc. fee

Me and a couple buddies were going to go in on a 3-bedroom place... we would have had one garage (between the three of us), a driveway and free laundry. The only utilities we would have had to pay would have been electrical and heating. Rent itself, though, was going to be $500 3-ways... you do the math.

Unfortunately, that plan really fell through... my car basically hit the hay and I ended up having to go for a vehicle instead of moving out.

Another years with the parents. >_

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Me and a couple buddies were going to go in on a 3-bedroom place... we would have had one garage (between the three of us), a driveway and free laundry. The only utilities we would have had to pay would have been electrical and heating. Rent itself, though, was going to be $500 3-ways... you do the math.

Unfortunately, that plan really fell through... my car basically hit the hay and I ended up having to go for a vehicle instead of moving out.

Another years with the parents. >_

$650 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 bathtown house in Metairie LA.

my landlord didn't fuck me over after the storm and raise my rent like 99.5% of the rest of the landlords around here. every other townhouse around me goes for about $1000-$1500 a month now..none of them used to go over $1000 or so.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']2006 Cincinnati, OH: 1 bedroom in a 2 bedroom apt. with shared bathroom, living room, kitchen and... backyard!!!- $385/month[/QUOTE]

Is that your *share* of the rent!?! I lived in fucking *over the rhine* for two years and paid more than that! :lol:

Before we bought our house, our apartment was $1100 / month. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitched living room, dining room. No garage, but plenty of parking. All utilities (except heat) extra.

There isn't a lot of quality apartments in this town. You can get cheaper, but you have to move into the college area downtown....lots of shitty houses and old apartments.

Last November, we bought a house, with a smaller mortgage, but the tax bill is $350/month....just for property taxes. It will cost $650 to fill the oil tank for heat this winter (about 2 months worth), so I guess we'll be cold.

TBW

bread's done
Back