Your best deals

thejaz

CAG Veteran
I've been lurking for quite a while now and I haven't seen a thread asking everyone this.
What is the best video game deal you have come across?

Today I bought
Fable 2 CE
GTA4 CE
Infinite Undiscovery
Far Cry 2
all for $80

Lets have a little more detail in these posts.
If you purchased those scratched and disc only off a bum on the street, then that is a shitty deal.

If you got those factory sealed from a B&M store or Online Marketplace, then that is a good deal.

If you got a good deal, why not share where it can be had by others.

Otherwise, no one will give a shit.

[quote name='thejaz']I've been lurking for quite a while now and I haven't seen a thread asking everyone this.
What is the best video game deal you have come across?

Today I bought
Fable 2 CE
GTA4 CE
Infinite Undiscovery
Far Cry 2
all for $80[/QUOTE]

Let me guess ...rogers 2 for 40 ?

The best deal I got was a while ago , PGR 4 for 10 bucks when retail was like 50.
Also PDZ when retail was almost full price.

Someone was selling 41 360 games on kijiji at $20 each. Those were the best ones. I was tempted to get Soul Caliber 4 too.

The best deal I ever got was just a month or so ago actually, Zellers had an error in their flyer which stated any games Regular priced $19.99-$59.99 were 2/30. I went to Walmart and pricematched, picking up 10 games for about $165 or so. The games were,

Mirrors Edge
Sonic Unleashed
Tiger Woods 09
Mortal Kombat vs DC
The Last Remnant
Call of Duty: World at War
Left 4 Dead
Fallout 3
Tales of Vesperia
Dead Space

All factory sealed, brand spanking new.

Zellers did not make a mistake. Select games they sold for 59 did go on sale @2/30. This is not a deal. People went to abused they hell out of it. A deal is something universal that everyone can get. What unethical people will do using false claims is simply disgusting.

I agree gamer602... up to a point. Taking advantage of a flyer misprint is not the most honest thing to do. But in Zellers' case they make so many flyer misprints that they're asking to get shafted. Their most recent error was the Boxing Day flyer which had a picture of Motorstorm Pacific Rift at a major discount while the product described is something else (MLB and NBA I think), and I know a lot of people on RFD took advantage of that.
Zellers seems to make a major error like this every second week. If you make a mistake, you have to expect people will try to take advantage of your error. If you do it on a regular basis, either you're stupid or making more money than you know what to do with.

[quote name='gamer602']Zellers did not make a mistake. Select games they sold for 59 did go on sale @2/30. This is not a deal. People went to abused they hell out of it. A deal is something universal that everyone can get. What unethical people will do using false claims is simply disgusting.[/quote]

I wrote up a bit of snark here defending the pricing error flyer, until I realized it was a recent flyer that you're referring to and not the one that came out right around the Wii launch (I price matched a lot on that one).

So I'll drop it, but if I recall, you are also one to jump on pricing errors, aren't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
My most recent best deal was DiRT (360) for $10 for the 2/$20 at Rogers. I was playing it last night and it turned into "just one more race" for an hour.

[quote name='gamer602']Zellers did not make a mistake. Select games they sold for 59 did go on sale @2/30. This is not a deal. People went to abused they hell out of it. A deal is something universal that everyone can get. What unethical people will do using false claims is simply disgusting.[/quote]

lol says the FS error game picker-upper :p
I got 12 games out of the Zellers flyer - although I didn't do any price matching. I simply went down to Zellers (all 3 in town!) and picked up 4 games at each one. I really wish I had bought more :(

Let me get this straight guys, I NEVER SAID it is wrong to take advantage of PRICE MISTAKES, and I never will, because it simply isnt wrong.

What I'm saying is that there is a fine line between a store honouring their Price Mistakes and going out and PMing at other retailers. To all extents and purposes, What was claimed in that flyer was correct. Zellers DID SELLL GAMES THAT WERE< AND IS NOT BACK TO THE $59 price point at 2/30. However, it was select games and clearly not every single one.

If a ZELLERS store decided to honor it, go right ahead, buy as many as you can, dela of the year right there.

If you intentionally go and PM knowing that you have to resort to lieing to get a deal, than personally it is not worth it for me.

All I'm saying is that when you falsely claim a promotion to exist.... When it doesn't... Its simply not right.

As for fs, I did order, but I did not go to other stores to pm. If it come, it come, if it doesnt, than never mind. That wasnt anything dishonest. For all we know, it could be a on-line boxing day promo, as it dropped with the other items and remains at that price.

I'm with gamer on this one. I think it's okay to take advantage of price mistakes, but only if you're doing it at the store it's advertised at. If Zellers makes a mistake in their flyer they should be the only ones losing money due to it, not other stores. It might be nice to save a couple of bucks... and sure, I guess these big organizations have all of the money in the world, but I think I'd still feel bad about it. I went into Zellers to check out what they had for the deal (they had the list by that time), and I probably could've PM'd it elsewhere, but I just didn't feel right about providing a false claim just to benefit myself (despite that it would've been nice to get a bunch of games for that price.... it would've been sweet!)

I don't mind PMing errors, but the moment you go "Can I speak to your manager", that's when you're being ridiculous. When they go "No, we can't match that", then that's that and leave. You're not entitled to ****.

The recent Rogers 2/$40 deal is the best deal I've encountered in years. For $90, I bought Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, GTA4. Saints Row 2 and Soulcaliber 4. Then I went to EB and traded away Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and SC4 ($65+taxes in credit) for Fallout 3. So, for $90 I got a new Fallout 3 and used copies of Saints Row 2 and GTA4. That makes me glad I didn't bite on the Toys 'R Us sale earlier.

Best deal for me, but not terribly exciting, was rainbow six and splinter cell PS3 for FREE on price scanning errors at walmart. Cant beat free regardless of what games they are :) THere have been widespread price overcharges on their "18.93 games half price" sale.

The Rogers 2/$40 was great for me..For $80 I snagged:

NHL 09 (360)
Quantum of Solace (360)
Tomb Raider Underworld (360)
Guitar Hero World Tour (360)

If I was single again, I'd have a lot more...lol.

[quote name='janlazer']If I was single again, I'd have a lot more...lol.[/quote]

Hahaha. Tell me about it. But then again... I'd probably spend my money one hell of a lot more wrecklessly and I'd probably be more broke than I am at the moment!

I got Far Cry 2 and Guitar Hero: WT for 2/$40 earlier this month, and I'm damn happy with that! I still wish I could find Fifa 09 (but it might be too new?) and Quantum of Solace.

its not false.
zellers was careless to make this deal and honor it.

[quote name='craig64']Hahaha. Tell me about it. But then again... I'd probably spend my money one hell of a lot more wrecklessly and I'd probably be more broke than I am at the moment![/quote]

Yeah, there is always that...But there's less guilt than trying to sneak MORE games into the house. lol.

[quote name='janlazer']Yeah, there is always that...But there's less guilt than trying to sneak MORE games into the house. lol.[/quote]

Yeah, I definitely know that feeling. I guess it's lucky that the Roger's near my work has a total crap selection of games, because I was planning on picking some up if they had any.

[quote name='craig64']Yeah, I definitely know that feeling. I guess it's lucky that the Roger's near my work has a total crap selection of games, because I was planning on picking some up if they had any.[/quote]

The selection on the wall at the one I went to was crap...So I asked if they had any that they had just not put out yet..They said to pick a couple from the floor(provided there were multiple copies) and they'd check with their manager. Bada bing, bada boom, big time score....For me.....Think its a big time one anyways. lol.

The Zellers flyer mishap was the best thing ever. There was no need to argue or anything, walked into Walmart, showed the flyer, picked the games I wanted, paid, and exited the store with the biggest smile ever. The savings on those games alone is staggering.

I picked up Mario Kart: Double Dash Special Edition with Bonus Disc for GameCube durring EB's Summer sale for $1.12 with taxes (I felt bad, so I didn't want to use the EDGE). Cool because I never owned a GC, but have a Wii. It was even cooler because it was my birthday.

Um... the Steam holiday sale?

I was very lazy at going for Canadian deals this year, heh. I guess getting Fable II $20 below MSRP at Amazon was nice.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for $20 at a CompUSA close out.
DS Lite for $90, but that's kind of a constant promotion, I think its a great deal though.
Lots of stuff on Steam. Both Max Paynes for less than $15, same for both Deus Exes. Doom 1 & 2 for .99 each.

[quote name='jlseal']Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for $20 at a CompUSA close out.[/quote]

Meh, I got mine for $10 way back when EB had their GameDays.

I managed to score the Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell collector tins at EB for $10 each, i still desperately need to find the Ghost Recon tin at that price. I also picked up a Samsung T220 for $205 taxes in.

Not a bad haul:

2/20
Guitar Hero Aerosmith (360)
Alone in the Dark (360)

2/40
Lego Batman (360)
Lego Indiana Jones (360)
Civilization Revolution DS
Silent Hill Homecoming (360)
Advance Wars DS
Scene It: BoS (360)

Free:
GRAW (Xbox)
Flatout 2 (Xbox)
Vampire Rain (360)

$41 at Amazon
Gears 2 LE
Fable 2 LE

I'm happy overall.

I guess my best deal for the money and the play time I got out of it would be Fire Pro Wrestling Returns [PS2] from amazon.com for $4.99US.

Even at it's regular price of $14.99 it's still worth it in my opinion.

As for boxing day deals the only ones I picked up are:
Gears of War 1 - $19.99 @ Toys R Us and
Prince of Persia [PS3] - $29.99 @ HMV

Splinter Cell Double Agent (360) for $60 with a free year of Xbox Live was a great deal, one of the reasons I got my Xbox when I did.

My best deal is Resistance 2 and Socom: Confrontation for 29.99 each.

at LondonDrugs, the manager thought they were greatest hits because he was looking at another flyer and it said Great HITS

I can't think of any awesome deals, just the cheap PS2 Singstar bundles during the Walmart anniversary sale. $20 with mics, $10 without.

for boxing day i guess was GH3 with 2 guitar $59.99
so...any predictions someone as to when zelda tp will ever go on sale?
i was sooo hoping it would on boxing day but boy was i dissappointed! haha

My best deal was at Futureshop (Lansdowne Richmond), an open box of Rock Band 2 SE, a week after it's PS3 release and the price was slashed down 60% to about $89.

The instruments still work to this very day so I've got no regrets buying an open box item

My best deal was trading in 5 games I paid $5-10 for a new Nintendo DS from EBGames.
If I remember correctly it cost me under $45 after tax.

For me my best deal was my PS3 and Guitar Hero WT. I did a ton of trading $5 BBV games for "bumped up" credit towards WT, then multiple copies of Smackdown and Gears of War, each of which traded in for full credit or near full credit. Taking into account the cost of the traded in games, and how much I had to add in at the end, I got the PS3 and WT for darn near half-price.

bread's done
Back