Your Biggest Waste of Money on Gaming?

[quote name='antlp89']PSO III: Card Revolution (GC)

Why oh why the fuck did I buy this game at release?

I absolutely loved PSO: I & II, so to my surprise I found out that the sequel was nothing like it and was instead a card battle game... If only I read past "PSO: III" instead of making a blind purchase...[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand how they got away with that. After making one of the best (imo) action RPGs ever, who gets the great idea to throw everything out and turn it into a card battle game? And not even a fun one like Baten Kaitos! Would've been a day one for me as well, until I realized what it actually was.

I know it's been rereleased about 200 times now, but a full HD remake of PSO 1&2 is just about the smartest thing they could do right now. WITH local co-op (looking at you PSU :bomb:).

TurboGrafx 16. Brother and I thought it would be better than Genesis...we suck, so we were wrong. So for a few years I was stuck with that poo-poo system while all my friends enjoyed Genesis.

[quote name='Drizzt']Hmm that's very odd. :whistle2:? I even remember how I developed the fist slam where I hit the main Sega Genesis unit which sent the right vibration to the CD attachment and started things back up again. That's a major bummer cause the original Lunar is very good.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I think something didn't want me to finish that game. It's a shame cause I loved it! One of these days I hope to finish it since I believe it came out for psone and now psp.

I've had a couple but the first that come to mind is paying $50 for Phantom Brave and $50 for Makai Kingdom. At the time I had just finished Disgaea and loved it so much I would have bought any other SRPGs from the same company. Normally I wait for a price drop but these 2 games I paid full price. Phantom Brave was good but lacked the charm and hilarity of Disgaea. The gameplay mechanics felt like one of those ideas good on paper but difficult to execute properly. I thought most of the characters were boring and cliched too. Makai Kingdom just felt rushed. For example, the cutscenes used the tiny ingame sprites instead of the anime style character drawings of Disgaea. You could decorate your homebase with items but there was a arbitrary limit of 12. All the text were tiny and hard to read. It felt like they wanted to pump some games out while everyone was still excited over Disgaea and I fell for it. And to top it off both games eventually dropped to $20. Those 2 were probably the last games I'll ever pay full price for.

shenmue and shenmue 2.not because i didnt love those 2 games but because sega will never continue the story.yet they just announced another entry for yakuza...

My biggest waste of money/credit thus far the past 3-5+ gens has been: buying more games than I ever have the time to complete.

In the Atari 2600 era I had about 45-50 games. In the Genesis/SNES era I had about 60-70 Genesis games and I rarely finished ANY of them. In the PS1/Saturn era I had about 75-80 PS1 games and I finished maybe 20-25% of them. In the PS2/Xbox era I had collections on both the PS2 and Xbox that were almost exact clones of each other. I finished maybe 15-20% of them.

And thus far this gen I've had about 40-60 PS3 titles and I've actually finished maybe 5-10 at MOST and most of those were sandbox titles or shooters like Bioshock that let you do something different than the usual shooter games.

Yet I keep buying them. It's like an addiction/compulsion. I see what I feel is a good deal and I 'have' to buy them.:roll:

Is there a Video Game Buyers Anonymous?

The World Ends With You for 850 points on Goozex. Most I've ever spent there. To this day the game is still in my deep backlog of unplayed DS games.

Back in the day the easy winner was my friend who bought a Neo Geo for $600 (or $800?). The games were $150-$200 each.

bought red steel for the wii when it first came out used, iit was like $56, the case was broken on the top and i didn't evan like the game. i should beat it so at least i didn't waste the money.

Sonic 2. Not because it is a bad game , but because I own it in so many different ways.

Sonic's Ulitimate Genesis Collection (360)
Sonic Mega Collection Plus (Xbox)
Original (Genesis)
XBLA - (360) - It was on sale for 240 points, It was hard to pass up.

Buying a Genesis instead of a SNES is something that i'll always kick myself for. I still have never played Super Mario World. I only recently got Chrono Trigger for the DS so I could finally play it.

Oh...I also bought Turbo Grafx 16...but I actually liked it so I don't really think it was a waste.

[quote name='Kingster27']TurboGrafx 16. Brother and I thought it would be better than Genesis...we suck, so we were wrong. So for a few years I was stuck with that poo-poo system while all my friends enjoyed Genesis.[/QUOTE]

The initial release slate of TG16 games were better than the initial release slate of Genesis games. The problem was that NEC completely botched the release of the TG16 through awful distribution and awful marketing. Sega didn't - the one time they really nailed things was with the first half of the Genesis lifetime (before the 32X and Sega CD debacles, then the Saturn....).

[quote name='RockinTheRedDog']Buying a Genesis instead of a SNES is something that i'll always kick myself for. I still have never played Super Mario World. I only recently got Chrono Trigger for the DS so I could finally play it.

Oh...I also bought Turbo Grafx 16...but I actually liked it so I don't really think it was a waste.[/QUOTE]
I think I've played the SNES I bought system only from a local thrift store maybe 2-3 times since I FINALLY got a power adapter for it. I played a bit of the Super Mario All-Stars game the last time I played it and that was about 3-4 weeks ago.

I may be putting it on my TL soon with a bunch of games(Donkey Kong Country 1&2, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World, Zelda: Link To The Past) since it's just not getting any use and I'd rather someone who is gonna play it get some use outta it.

Like a lot of people in the thread, the Wii. Ended up giving it to my parents earlier this year .... they still havent hoked it up

PS2 at launch for two reasons it took FOREVER it seemed to actually get some good games other than Midnight Club and SSX. The second reason is my psu died, which was a known issue with the launch ps2's.

[quote name='RockinTheRedDog']Buying a Genesis instead of a SNES is something that i'll always kick myself for. I still have never played Super Mario World. I only recently got Chrono Trigger for the DS so I could finally play it.

Oh...I also bought Turbo Grafx 16...but I actually liked it so I don't really think it was a waste.[/QUOTE]

I actually got a SNES first and ended up buying a Genesis later for Altered Beast and Sonic the Hedgehog. I ended up getting those two games, ESWAT, and Columns. Kind of a big waste now that I look back on it.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm for the PS3, the games not really that bad, but the stupid battle conditions are crap. Sure you can win the fight, but can you win with out taking a hit, full chakara and obtaining a 100 hit combo? Maybe it's not that outrageous, but it is annoying.

I day-one bought UFC Undisputed 2010 for $55, which was the cheapest of anywhere on day one. Little did I know that the game's sales would be soooooooooo BAD that in the next week it was as low as $20. I've only ever bought two day one games though, and the deal I scored on Modern Warfare 2 ($40) was and still is awesome, so I guess maybe its like life balancing itself out.

Alan Wake, only because it's so short.
Halo 2 LE - played through and beat campaign the day it came out, played online approximately two times, never played it again

The three 360s I bought, one after another, after each one quickly bit dust... I've since moved on.

Logitech driving wheels for both the PS2 and 360. I think I touched both of those once and they've been sitting there collecting dust since.

Also, paying $60 for a used copy of MGS:TW (GC) which I still haven't even played yet.

Silverfall for $5.99, worst game ever, been regretting it ever since. :bomb:

silverfall_box.jpg

I have two that were so bad i dont know which was worse.

2. X-band modem for the SNES.

Wat? Did you even use it? You could play mario kart, MKII & III remotely with other people before the DC took off and did it.

I played that for hours and hours in '95-96 and met a ton of cool local gamers. We even got together at Mall of America and Circus pizza a few times.

Live isn't anywhere near as close-knit as that was.

[quote name='BlakkRanger']Halo 3 Legendary Edition, what a waste of $70 for nothing![/QUOTE]

I only paid $45 for mine, and while that was also a waste of money...

During the Gamecube price drop ($99), my buddy and I went out and found the "Limited Edition" Platinum Silver colored consoles at a local abandoned K-Mart. We snatched them up lightning fast, only to hear that Nintendo was making it a standard color. WTF.

I think the only games we ever enjoyed playing on the Gamecube were Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Timesplitters 2.

[quote name='Jodou']Sega Saturn.[/QUOTE]

Blasphemer. The Saturn is still the system for 90s shmups and fighting games. Plus the pads (other than the very early US pads) are absolute perfection.

That said, I don't currently have one hooked up so I really can't talk.

Without question.....the Wii. Such a piece of crap.

It was a complete impluse buy on my part. Just happened to be at Best Buy about 2 months after launch and see one sitting on the shelf. I picked it and Zelda up and have since picked up most of the big exclusives but I have personally got virtually no entertainment value out of the thing. No the system on gets dusted off on the rare occassion when friends bring their young children over.

[quote name='distgfx']The Wii.[/QUOTE]

Its the only console I've bought in my entire life that I regretted buying. I play the new Mario games and some rail shooters. After that it goes back to collecting dust while I play my PS3/360.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Haha, Steel Battalion. Did you get the whole set with the massive, 5000 button/level/control/sticks/nobs/flips/switches panel?[/QUOTE]

That was the only way to play the game.

The Wii at launch. Glad I have the console but still not really worth it at the time should have waited until now to buy one seeing as how the only titles I own are SSBB and Zelda.

Sneak King for 360, hate that game.

Goldeneye: Rouge Agent, all in all it was a good game and I had a ton of fun playing it. The title just over hyped me.

All of the extra Gameboy link cables I have, I have about five of them. Only need one!

Gameboy Color, I got it 1 month before the GBA came out. I wasn't old enough to understand that the GBA was better. Looking back I am happy I got the GBC and waited to get a SP later, the GBC was a great first video game system. Thank you Grandma for both of those! :D

All in all I cannot complain, and again thank you to Grandma!

More traditionally,

I bought a box of Rise of the Eldrazi, the latest Magic: the gathering expansion.

Played some, then about 3 weeks after I got the box, the regular hang out spot I was chilling at became unavailable....now they're sitting in my trunk, doing nothing.

Annoying.

Same as other fellow CAG, I think that it was the Wii. I bought it with 10 games and 2 wii motes and nun chucks and got bored as soon as i beat SSBB. then it collected dust for about 8 months until i finally sold it.

Mine would be the Dreamcast, I think I only owned 4 games for it and then I left it running too long and it died. It is one of only 2 consoles that I've had die and the 360 lasted 4 years before dieing, the Dreamcast was under 2. And even worse most of the games that I would have played on the DC I played when they got ported to other consoles later.

Folklore was pretty poor and and a waste of money. Not sure about Demon's Souls yet - I keep playing it, but not really enjoying it...

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']One of my waste of money was on Max Payne on PS2. It was basically made to be run on PC. I didn't know it was gonna be a crappy port...[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, yes! The thing was, it came out relatively close to the launch of the PS2, I think within the first 18 months. The PS2 should have been able to handle a competent port of just about any contemporary PC game in 2001. Yet there was Max Payne, stinking up the joint. I chalked it up to lazy programming but I don't really have any way to confirm that.

Can't think of many:

Pokemon cards: Kinda gaming...right? Regardless, I spent a ton of money on these things. I made a lot back near the end of the craze, but, I still have a few drawers filled at home with them.

NES Games: Two games in particular: Metroid and Conan. I love the Metroid series, I really do. However, when I was young, my parents would buy me a game once in a great while...usually when K-Mart had a Blue Light Special (lol). Well, Metroid was definitely a bad choice, as I'd get confused and frustrated.

And Conan? I wish I could go back and punch myself in the face for letting my parents spend money on that shitty game.

I usually do my research before I buy, unless I'm supporting a company. My list would be Infinite Undiscovery and Crisis Core. I bought all three at full price $60/$60/$40. Infinite Undiscovery dropped $20 in under a month after release. I was pissed cause I opened it but hadn't had a chance to even play it once.

In response, I waited for Last Remnant to go on clearance at Target, and haven't bought FFXIII. Though I somewhat regret buying the limited edition guide for FFXIII, cause there's too many made to make it worthwhile.

I was close to buying Zoids Assault at $60, but luckily tried the demo. It sucked, so I waited till it dropped to sub $20 and picked it up at Gamestop's B2G1. Still should have waited longer, but oh well.

Biggest wastes of money? Too many to name unfortunately, but the tops are:
Neo Geo pocket color- got the GBA right around the same time if I remember
Virtual Boy- I don't think I ever played for more than a few minutes
Every steering wheel and/or flight stick I ever got and always-ALWAYS-used once
The piles of crap I bought because it 'looked good' for the PS2 when the system first came out

Love this thread by the way.

[quote name='Brak']GameCube.[/QUOTE]
For real. I bought one just so I could play Resident Evil and that's all I ever bought on the system.
[quote name='TSlade']Neo Geo pocket color- got the GBA right around the same time if I remember[/QUOTE]Yeah, but GBA never had fighting games as good as Match of the Millennium.

bread's done
Back