Your Biggest Waste of Money on Gaming?

Monster Hunter Freedom at full price.

Was sooo excited to play it because I had always though MH looked really cool. Turns out the single player is the most frustrating game I've ever played. Basically Getting Knocked Down: The Game.

[quote name='Rig']Can't think of many:

Pokemon cards: Kinda gaming...right? Regardless, I spent a ton of money on these things. I made a lot back near the end of the craze, but, I still have a few drawers filled at home with them.

NES Games: Two games in particular: Metroid and Conan. I love the Metroid series, I really do. However, when I was young, my parents would buy me a game once in a great while...usually when K-Mart had a Blue Light Special (lol). Well, Metroid was definitely a bad choice, as I'd get confused and frustrated.

And Conan? I wish I could go back and punch myself in the face for letting my parents spend money on that shitty game.[/QUOTE]

Seeing as you are in Central Illinois and talking about crappy NES purchases. I grew up outside of Dekalb Illinois and still to this day, about 20 years later, I remember going to a Sears somewhere in the suburbs of Chicago (St. Charles maybe?) and begging for a Nintendo game. I ended up getting Kung Fu and I hated it. Now that I am older I am ashamed that my parents paid $50 for it. I am shocked how I remember that one purchase though. I get flashbacks every time my kids ask for a game.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, but GBA never had fighting games as good as Match of the Millennium.[/QUOTE]

I bought a NGPC on launch and still play it on occasion. That Match of the Millennium was a better fighter than SNK's arcade attempt. The Cardfighters game is still addicting.

All of my regret purchases came care of CAG. I bought a lot of games because, hell, why not. It's cheap, right? Now I have so little time for gaming, I try to keep purchases down to the bare minimum.

Nintendo Wii. With the Move coming out...I honestly have no need for it. I'm not a big fan of the Nintendo exclusives...if only House of the Dead were on the PS3 (with Move support), that would be awesome.

I would have to say my biggest regret is buying so many games just because they were cheap... I now have 60+ Xbox 360 games that I have yet to play...

The DC is never a mistake...but trading in a DC with a bunch of good games for GC was...
RE4 was the only game on that system worth my time...the rest of it especially the fps games were crap.

[quote name='SynGamer']Nintendo Wii. With the Move coming out...I honestly have no need for it. I'm not a big fan of the Nintendo exclusives...if only House of the Dead were on the PS3 (with Move support), that would be awesome.[/QUOTE]
I wish Sony, Nintendo and MS would stop fuckin' copying each other already and let their consoles stand on their own merits. Apparently though, both Sony and MS seem to be less confident that their consoles can continue to make sales without a gimmick to spur them.:roll:

The prices on both the Move and ummmm whatever the fuck MS is calling theirs these days are cost prohibitive though, with the bundles being the biggest offenders in that right.

i just accidentally (tabs!) bid on star wars clone wars the pc game for $5 free s&h, unfortunately I can't cancel so this is probably a worst game purchased in the making. its going into trash as soon as i get it.

[quote name='mrbomb']Without, I wasn't that stupid.[/QUOTE]
Haha, I used to troll the fuck out of their forums until they took them down (beta testers could still post after retail lol). It was so easy to stir the pot just bringing up lifetime subs, but then again everyone was already raging. Too bad Roper wasn't sued and ensured to never work on a game again.

When I was little, I read a great review of Shadowgate in Nintendo Power, so I convinced my mom to get it for me. Quickly learned its not really the game for a 6 year old.

Actually, thinking on it, the real answer is: Game Gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another big waste for me was buying Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 on release day. 60 bucks, and I didn't spend much time playing at first. Within months, it could be found for 10 bucks and hardly anyone plays online now.

I learned my lesson to not buy multiplayer only games so I definitely passed on Mag.

[quote name='davo1224']Kung Fu is lame because of how simple it is but back in the day it was pretty excellent.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it since, but all I remember is walking straight ahead and kicking people. No clue why that one purchase sticks out for me but it does.

I do remember my brother trading Ninja Gaiden back in the day to a local video store for a game called Xenophobe. I was pissed about that also. My mom was so pissed about it she went up and ripped the owner a new one. Ninja Gaiden was a newer game I think and Xenophobe was basically crap. This was when I was maybe 8 and my brother was 9. Looking back on it my brother got taken advantage of.

[quote name='schuerm26']I haven't played it since, but all I remember is walking straight ahead and kicking people. No clue why that one purchase sticks out for me but it does.

I do remember my brother trading Ninja Gaiden back in the day to a local video store for a game called Xenophobe. I was pissed about that also. My mom was so pissed about it she went up and ripped the owner a new one. Ninja Gaiden was a newer game I think and Xenophobe was basically crap. This was when I was maybe 8 and my brother was 9. Looking back on it my brother got taken advantage of.[/QUOTE]

Xenophobe was a great game in the arcade and on the lynx, but the NES version was a terrible port.

Well, buying 3 Xbox 360 consoles (one from each region), now realizing i bought each one for one game each, Dead Rising and Rock Band...

[quote name='batman1939']Hold on there are you talking about
NES%20Kung%20Fu.jpg

I remember getting games from my parents once in a blue moon too and it would suck to get a crappy one because you would not be able to get another one for a while. But I loved Kung Fu[/QUOTE]

Holy '80s flashback! I think this was one of (if not) THE first NES game we got.

I believe this was also the first game I finished by myself.

I've gotten enjoyment out of everything I've purchased, but I wish accessories would last longer.

I've gone through about 4 Taiko drum master drums and the red octane ones you buy separately aren't as nice as the ones that come with the game, so when it was on sale I bought the game/drum set so I've got 3 copies of the game too.

When the N64 first came out, all I had was Mario 64 and Pilotwings.

They were great, but after a month or so I was deperate for another game.

I was in NYC one night and went to an Indy game store and paid $85 for Crusiin USA.

[quote name='Puffa469']When the N64 first came out, all I had was Mario 64 and Pilotwings.

They were great, but after a month or so I was deperate for another game.

I was in NYC one night and went to an Indy game store and paid $85 for Crusiin USA.[/QUOTE]

I would be sorry for you if I didn't do the same thing for Shadows of the Empire.

$79.99 + tax for Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for N64 @ KB toy store in the Dover, DE mall the first week it came out.

I beat it but never had the urge to trip a ATAT with a snowspeeder cable again.

Buying Alundra 2 for the PS1 at launch, played it for about 45 minutes and BLEH.

I did manage to get my money back thanks to the 7 day return policy at EB. Got full value on return and bought other things.

The Xbox 360 Vision Camera. I used it on Rainbow Six Vegas once and that was it. Biggest waste ever.

Also, all of the trade-ins I've done at Gamestop/EB throughout the years they've been around. I used to trade-in games like crazy in order to buy new ones. Every time I do I usually feel like crap a month down the road and wish I never traded in any of those games, then I end up re-buying them when they get cheaper. Now I vow never to trade games in anymore and actually build up my collection, or rent more so I don't end up with a lot of games I don't really want to keep.

The most I've spent on one thing is my arcade stick.. I've had it modded, the buttons changed, and shipped out twice already.. it broke once and akuma001 fixed it for me.

My biggest waste of money? I guess it depends on how you define waste. I felt that my purchase of the PS2 USB trance vibrator was a waste. :rofl: I only got it cuz I was a huge Rez fan at the time and felt like the vibrator was a Rez fan badge of honor. To answer any questions that might come up... no, I did not use it sexually. I did however sell it with the copy of Rez (prior to the re-release) for more money than I bought it for.

So... as far as biggest waste of money... probably King of Fighters XII on release day. :]

Guitar Hero/Rock Band series.

It was fun while it lasted and now I just don't care about either series anymore. While it's fun with a group of friends, between the DLC, new iterations every so often and the space all these fake instruments take, I got burned out pretty quickly.

The Nintendo Wii for me. It was cool at first. You had Wii Sports which was fun. But after awhile the only good games out for it were Nintendo made games. Slowly I felt like I wasn't even a gamer anymore. I would play a game for five minutes and move on. Trading that thing in for an Xbox 360 was a great decision and I feel like I'm playing real games again!

[quote name='kburns10']The Nintendo Wii for me. It was cool at first. You had Wii Sports which was fun. But after awhile the only good games out for it were Nintendo made games. Slowly I felt like I wasn't even a gamer anymore. I would play a game for five minutes and move on. Trading that thing in for an Xbox 360 was a great decision and I feel like I'm playing real games again![/QUOTE]
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Since ive bought dozens upon dozens of games over the years there would be too many to mention. Its been a while since i literally couldnt stand a game, i do a lot of research. Back in the SNES and PS and PS2 days i definitely lost some dough. Oh and basically the Dreamcast was a waste to me too. And most of the Nintendo games/consoles after the SNES...

By console:
PSP: PSP itself - I've only played a handful of games

PS3: GoW 3 - I got started late with the next gen games till just last March. Didn't know about CAG and how game prices tend to drop like a rock in only a few months. Was a big GoW series fan so I sold all of my PSP games at gamestop just to preorder GoW3 and bought the DLC codes off ebay.

[quote name='asianxcore']Guitar Hero/Rock Band series.

It was fun while it lasted and now I just don't care about either series anymore. While it's fun with a group of friends, between the DLC, new iterations every so often and the space all these fake instruments take, I got burned out pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't imagine how much money I dumped into instruments, accessories, and the biggest of all, DLC. All this for a game I have little desire to play anymore

The biggest waste in my gaming history would have to go to Nintendo's Virtual Boy. I begged and begged my parents for it when it came out and got it for my birthday. It only ever had two games that I can recall which I had and they were Virtual Tennis and a Wario game. Everything was red and you had to wear it like goggles strapped to your face. So aside from spending close to three hundred bucks for it, your retinas burning away from the blood red glow of the screen, you also looked like a fucking retard on top of it all.

bread's done
Back