Your Fascination With Ramen

I don't eat the gourmet stuff, but I LOVE the maru chan brand. Especially the teriyaki chicken flavor that I can't find anywhere anymore.

Forget chicken and beef flavored, gimme chili lime shrimp or limp shirmp. Yum!

42801886-149x149-0-0_Maruchan+Maruchan+Ramen+Noodle+Soup+Lime+Chili+Shr.jpg

All I ever eat is chicken flavored ramen with no extra stuff added to it because I'm not a chef. Although I don't really eat ramen anymore anyways. My noodle meal of choice for easy and relative cheapness is mac n cheese.

I remember a Hmong dude I used to work with had the fancy one with all the spices and extra sauce packets and wanted to try it, but I have to drive a long way to get stuff like that.

Yeah I just eat plain because it's generally not something I really want to savor. It's more of a "I need something in my stomach".

We would do up giant vats of the stuff (half dozen packages or so) then stick it in the fridge overnight. Lunch the next day was typically a salad of some variety with the noodles in there and maybe some crab meat too.

In general though, chicken or beef flavor with Siracha in the boiling water. Serve with very little water to make the flavor powder more thick and zest with lemon juice.

I think I had that stuff once or twice and didn't really care for the noodle texture.

I stopped at the asian grocer near the office over lunch and they've got udon packets now too! Stoked

If I make ramen noodles at home, it's becuase I don't want to take the time to make regular pasta (or we're out.) I never even use the flavor packets, I usually turn it into ramen & cheese or something.

I prefer udon, from a restaraunt. No instant stuff.

ive had it with chili on top and i also use it with spaghetti sauce. its also good for making fried noodles.i knew some mexican kids who would eat the stuff dry ( uncooked).

[quote name='shrike4242']Sorry, OP, had to change the title to something less badly worded.[/QUOTE]

Its all good. Thanks for looking out.

I eat Koji Ramen, mainly because it's suppose to be Organic Heirloom Wheat Flour(you had me at Wheat flour) and doesn't have MSG in it and the spices seem to be pronounceable. Some of those brands(I believe Nong Shim is one), use beef fat to make up the noodle structure. No thanks. XP

made this awhile ago. best ramen i've had. it took WAAAAAAY too long to make though.

219vwa0.png

Made the stock from scratch from the meat juice and some boiled kelp and all that good shit. The eggs are fucking impossible I went through like 5 before I got it to come out right. They have to marinate overnight too so it was a good thing I made a bunch. My kamaboko isn't as cool as star shaped shit with swirls but it tastes good nonetheless. Add some welsh onion and a bit of cooked spinach and you have some delicious but time consuming shit.

Heres the fucking video I followed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa0umYJVGg

[quote name='crystalklear64']made this awhile ago. best ramen i've had. it took WAAAAAAY too long to make though.

219vwa0.png

Made the stock from scratch from the meat juice and some boiled kelp and all that good shit. The eggs are fucking impossible I went through like 5 before I got it to come out right. They have to marinate overnight too so it was a good thing I made a bunch. My kamaboko isn't as cool as star shaped shit with swirls but it tastes good nonetheless. Add some welsh onion and a bit of cooked spinach and you have some delicious but time consuming shit.

Heres the fucking video I followed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa0umYJVGg[/QUOTE]

that looks like it will take forever. I have to make some of that.

I hate this shit. When you have no money, this is the best since it's so cheap. I've eaten so many types so often it kinda makes me sick when I smell it...

Here's some kinds that are better then most.
~Neoguri (spicy seafood)
~Chapaghetti (soupless brown noodle)

They also have some instant noodle where you eat it cold. Some people love it but I can't do it anymore.

Great things to put in ramen.
~bok choy
~egg
~meat
~articificial crab meat

The biggest tip I can give is cooking it. Most people can not do it right. When cooked too long, the consistency of the noodle is crap. I like to undercook it so it is still a bit raw. It's my preference for instant noodle and towards the middle of the meal, the noodle cooks thoroughly and is fine. Worst thing about ramen is a over cooked noodle. GROSS.

Sometimes I'll dump some frozen veggies into the boiling water to cook then finish it up with a scrambled egg to make it a little like egg drop soup.

I've cooked the noodles and fried them, then put some sort of stir fry on top before which was good.

Speaking of stir-fry. I usually hate the bottled sauces that they have in the stores and I never liked Panda Express, but I tried one of their bottled sauces (Mandarin) and was pleasantly surprised. College students can use it to make a simple tasty meal:

Cut up some meat
Heat some oil hot in a pan.
Cook the meat and remove it from the pan.
Heat more oil.
Add a bag or two of frozen stir-fry veggies and cook until done.
Add the meat to the pan again.
Dump in the bottled sauce and heat until warm.
Pour over rice or some Ramen :)

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I ate so much my freshman year of college I can't even look at the stuff anymore.[/QUOTE]

Same, though more than just freshman year. I graduated in 2002 and still can't stomach the crap.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Same, though more than just freshman year. I graduated in 2002 and still can't stomach the crap.[/QUOTE]
Even when I was a kid I loved this stuff. The maruchan brand especially. I just saw a video of me as a tyke getting all excited for "soba noodoo." Instant ramen is really one of my favorite meals. Given a choice between a nice steak dinner or 2 packs of instant ramen, its just a coin toss. I still love it.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I may be wrong, but is this ramen from Santoka?[/QUOTE]
you're right

hey wait

didn't i meet you before?

Now I want some ramen... I was hooked on the nong shim chicken bowl from all the recommendations in the cheap food thread, but they stopped carrying it about a month later and only have the kimchi or picante. While they're both good, they give me heartburn like a mofo.

Ill look for some other brands brought up here and trying throwing some egg in as well... just raw egg and cook with the noodles or how are you guys doing it?

man, it's lunch time..

also, I love all the high-brows coming into this forum just to tell everyone they're too good for ramen. they're so incredibly cool.

[quote name='2DMention']Neither have I. I wonder if it's any better?[/QUOTE]
it's the difference between getting deep dish pizza from chicago and a pepperoni pizza hot pocket.

there are probably hundreds of thousands of ramen restaurants in japan.

pfft yall dont know real instant noodle.

buy "Indomie"

shizzzz will make you flyyyyyyy. and im not endorsing it because im indonesian. i personally think it is the best band of instant noodle there is

[quote name='elessar123']Personally, when it comes to non-instant, I prefer beef noodle soup and pho to Japanese ramen.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I like Pho a lot more than Ramen as far as noodle soups go.

it really depends on the restaurant.

there are a few ramen places here i don't care for but other people really like (shinsengumi, asa ramen, foo foo tei). there are some that are decent but i hardly venture there (shin mama ramen, shisen ramen). some of them are really good (santouka, yamadaya, ramen mottainai).

i went to fukuoka which many people consider the ramen capital of the world, and i didn't like any of the ramen i had there at both the outdoor stall and at one of the most ubiquitous and famous chains.

really, a lot of it is dependent on what style you like and the restaurant.

[quote name='Brak']UTI in a bowl.[/QUOTE]

You probably should see a doctor if that's all it takes for you to get UTI. I've NEVER had one.

bread's done
Back