Your Favorite movies which no one had ever heard of

guardian_owl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
You know the drill, you come across a movie lost in the shuffle, like it, go to tell friends about it, and they have never even heard of it.

So what are a few of your favorite little-known movies?

Some of my more recent ones are:

Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
Bubba Ho-tep
Six String Samurai
Below
Equilibrium
Cube
Memento
Grey Zone

The Heroic Trio
Cannibal the Musical
The Killer

I also really liked American Pyscho, but I think a lot of people have heard of that one.

[quote name='guardian_owl']You know the drill, you come across a movie lost in the shuffle, like it, go to tell friends about it, and they have never even heard of it.

So what are a few of your favorite little-known movies?

Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
Bubba Ho-tep
Six String Samurai
Below
Equilibrium
Cube
Memento
Grey Zone[/quote]

I second memento, Chris Nolan did a great job directing and Guy Pearce acting. I found equilibrium pretty good too.

Battle Royale
Sleepers
Unforgiven
Boat Trip
Donnie Brasco
Evil Dead
Patriot Games
Red Dawn (cheesy, but hey I like it)
The Untouchables
Way if the Gun
The Usual Suspects

to those who enjoyed memento... have you guys seen "following"? he made it before he made memento, and the style is similar, except that the scenes are more scattered. it kind of jumps around, instead of going backwards. definitely rent this one. i found it at some video store on vhs for sale for a buck.

Two post up... I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of these.

Sleepers
Unforgiven
Boat Trip
Donnie Brasco
Evil Dead
Patriot Games
The Untouchables
The Usual Suspects

[quote name='guardian_owl']You know the drill, you come across a movie lost in the shuffle, like it, go to tell friends about it, and they have never even heard of it.
[/quote]

I chosed my movies based on that. At school, nobody has heard of those. Im not talking about the CAG community.

[quote name='Renzokuken'][quote name='guardian_owl']You know the drill, you come across a movie lost in the shuffle, like it, go to tell friends about it, and they have never even heard of it.
[/quote]

I chosed my movies based on that. At school, nobody has heard of those. Im not talking about the CAG community.[/quote]

Your friends haven't heard of the Untouchables, Unforgiven, Evil Dead or Patriot Games???? What sort of friends do you have? Three of those were major blockbusters (Unforgiven was also the Best Picture Oscar winner, as well as Best Director, Best Supporting Actor and best Film Editing; Untouchables won Best Supporting Actor), and one of those is a tremendously huge cult classic. I can't believe anyone hasn't heard of those movies.
t

I am pretty sure a lot of people have heard of it by now but when I first saw it a few years ago noone I knew had seen/heard of it.

The Boondock Saints (Greatest Movie EVER!)

Also one of my Favorites:
Dr. Strangelone or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb

Here's some old schoolers

Best of the Best
No Retreat, No Surrender
Ratboy - About a half rat, half boy
BMX Bandits (Nicole Kidman's first movie)
Baby - About a baby dinosaur
Time Bandits - Time-traveling midgets - nothing better
Dragon Storm
Ice Pirates
Solar Babies
Cloak and Dagger

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Your friends haven't heard of the Untouchables, Unforgiven, Evil Dead or Patriot Games???? What sort of friends do you have? Three of those were major blockbusters (Unforgiven was also the Best Picture Oscar winner, as well as Best Director, Best Supporting Actor and best Film Editing; Untouchables won Best Supporting Actor), and one of those is a tremendously huge cult classic. I can't believe anyone hasn't heard of those movies.
t[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

A couple of mine to add:
Amongst Friends
Menace II Society

EDIT: add Vision Quest to my list.

[quote name='thecolonel2323']I am pretty sure a lot of people have heard of it by now but when I first saw it a few years ago noone I knew had seen/heard of it.

The Boondock Saints

Also one of my Favorites:
Dr. Strangelone or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb[/quote]

Dr. Strangelove is an excellent movie, but it's not exactly an unknown either. People may not know of it these days, but in its day it was a pretty huge movie. Alot of people these days have never heard of the Dirty Dozen, Guns of Navarone, Pillow Talk, Rear Window, Bridge over the River Kwai, the Great Escape, etc.. but they were all huge huge in there day.. I wouldn't consider those 'unknowns'

edit - BTW, any guys that haven't seen the Dirty Dozen, the Guns of Navarone, Bridge over the River Kwai and the Great Escape.. go rent them.. now.

Just saw equilibrium. Wow, those fight scenes should have been in the matrix 2&3.

Boondock saints is now either part of the mainstream or REALLY close. word of mouth really helped this movie.

One Hour Photo was a great movie for me.

Death to Smoochy :)

and i know its Disney, but not one of thier $$ hits... the Emperors New Groove. One of the funniest movies ive ever seen.

Not quite movie, but with the same quality, The Tick live action show.

I see we have some Miike fans with the mentions of Ichi the killer and Audition. I'll toss in Dead or Alive 1 which I believe is better than Ichi but a step below Audition, which is a masterpiece.

Also:

Irreversible

Kite (Anime)

How I spent my summer Vactation

[quote name='Cornfedwb']

Dr. Strangelove is an excellent movie, but it's not exactly an unknown either. People may not know of it these days, but in its day it was a pretty huge movie. Alot of people these days have never heard of the Dirty Dozen, Guns of Navarone, Pillow Talk, Rear Window, Bridge over the River Kwai, the Great Escape, etc.. but they were all huge huge in there day.. I wouldn't consider those 'unknowns'[/quote]

I agree with you that it really isnt unknown but seeing how the average age of people who use this site is around 20 I would have to say that the movie is probably unknown to most of them. As for the movies you listed I see at least one of them on TV a week Dr. Strangelove on the othehand is rarely ever broadcasted.

Cannibal! the Musical
Memento [although that's not little known]
Series 7: The Contenders [I despise reality shows, but this painfully accurate satire of them is incredible, and more realistic than most 'reality' shows. This is what 'The Running Man' should have been.
Run Lola Run

Three O'Clock High
Way of the Gun
Gattaca
UHF

These were more popular, but still weren't mainstream:
Raising Arizona
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Snatch

everyone should see Touch of Evil and the Third Man, and while I'm on an Orson Welles kick go see his version of Kafka's The Trial.

I have to agree with the aforementioned- TIME BANDITS & EQUILIBRIUM. They are both excellent!

Here are some other over-looked gems:
*BELOW (directed by David Twohy)
*VISITOR Q
*HARDWARE:MARK 13
*DEAD HEAT (1988)
*LADY SNOWBLOOD
*NICK OF TIME
and of course...
*SNAKE EATER (Lorenzo Lamas + calcium/gravel bomb = a VERY cheesy but good time had by all-ONE TO WATCH WITH INTOXICATED FRIENDS :) )

Peanut Butter Solution...If anyone has heard of this I will be fucking suprised...It was a canadian movie...and quite twisted and also very good...I wish it was more well known and not so dammed expensive or I would own a REAL copy...If you havent heard of it you should check it out. Its like Goonies but a little different

A few that haven't been mentioned yet, although I am sure alot of CAGers have heard of them....

Swimming With Sharks
Killing Zoe
Sleep With Me

[quote name='PimpBot2000']The Story of Ricky
Monster Squad
Shogun Assassin
The Stuff
Castle in the Sky
Home Alone 4 (just kidding w/this one)[/quote]

Monster Squad is greatness.

Wolfman has nards!

[quote name='PimpBot2000']The Story of Ricky
Monster Squad
Shogun Assassin
The Stuff
Castle in the Sky

Shogun Assassin? "Bah" to that, I say. Watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series as it was meant to be seen, not 2 movies jammed into one and dubbed. It's a travesty, it is.

[quote name='dabignig']I see we have some Miike fans with the mentions of Ichi the killer and Audition. I'll toss in Dead or Alive 1 which I believe is better than Ichi but a step below Audition, which is a masterpiece.

Also:

Irreversible

Kite (Anime)

How I spent my summer Vactation[/quote]

Agreed on Dead or Alive being better than Ichi. Ichi was great for the excessive amounts of violence (by the far the most violent I have ever seen). Kite was also decent, especially the Director's Cut!

Boondock Saints has to be one of my favorite movies of all time, everything about it is great. I also like UHF (cult comedy classic with Weird Al), and Equilibrium which has already been mentioned several times. I also enjoy the old old sci fi movies like Logan's Run. It is so bad that it is almost good.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='PimpBot2000']The Story of Ricky
Monster Squad
Shogun Assassin
The Stuff
Castle in the Sky

Shogun Assassin? "Bah" to that, I say. Watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series as it was meant to be seen, not 2 movies jammed into one and dubbed. It's a travesty, it is.[/quote]

But without Shogun Assassin, would the Genius Gza ever have been able to make his first album Liquid Swords?

Gza aside, the 6-Disc set is well worth checking out.

[quote name='kaw']Three O'Clock High
Way of the Gun
Gattaca
UHF

These were more popular, but still weren't mainstream:
Raising Arizona
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Snatch[/quote]

I second UHF.

I'll add Airheads, since it's a movie that's rarely ever mentioned by fans of the three stars.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Here's some old schoolers

Best of the Best
No Retreat, No Surrender
Ratboy - About a half rat, half boy
BMX Bandits (Nicole Kidman's first movie)
Baby - About a baby dinosaur
Time Bandits - Time-traveling midgets - nothing better
Dragon Storm
Ice Pirates
Solar Babies
Cloak and Dagger[/quote]

damn i knew id forget some, but i didnt know id forget no retreat, no surrender...thats one of my all time favs for sure

I second Death to Smoochy. A lot of people I knew didn't hear of/see Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, or Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, which surprised me. And also A Clockwork Orange wasn't well known, but is probably one of my favorites of all time.

[quote name='guardian_owl']

Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
[/quote]
Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is hilarious! I ordered that one on On Demand and loved it.
One of my all time favourite movies was Donnie Darko!

[quote name='karmapolice620']Peanut Butter Solution...If anyone has heard of this I will be shaq-fuing suprised...It was a canadian movie...and quite twisted and also very good...I wish it was more well known and not so dammed expensive or I would own a REAL copy...If you havent heard of it you should check it out. Its like Goonies but a little different[/quote]

I have not been more thankful for any single post ever. I remember seeing this movie a few times when I was a young child and tried to find out what it was a few times but absolutly noone could help me. Thank you so much.

Pretty much any foreign film that doesn't star Jackie Chan or Roberto Benigni is unknown to a majority of Americans. Which is a shame, because there are so many great films. A few examples are
8 1/2
Amarcord
La Vita Dolce
Rififi
Tokyo Story
Closely watched trains
Scenes from a Marriage

Also, the mini series Band of Brothers and Roots, both of which most people have heard of, but few have actually seen.

[quote name='giftbj'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='PimpBot2000']The Story of Ricky
Monster Squad
Shogun Assassin
The Stuff
Castle in the Sky

Shogun Assassin? "Bah" to that, I say. Watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series as it was meant to be seen, not 2 movies jammed into one and dubbed. It's a travesty, it is.[/quote]

But without Shogun Assassin, would the Genius Gza ever have been able to make his first album Liquid Swords?

Gza aside, 6-Disc set is well worth checking out.[/quote]

No, and that would be a shame, because Liquid Swords is, IMO, the best Wu Tang related album there is.

I have to agree with some that have been mentioned already.

-Series 7: The Contenders - great fake reality tv movie
-The Stuff - "Are you eating it or is it eating you?"
-Three O'Clock High - Funny High School Movie
-UHF - (but I think lots of people know about it) "Today we are going to teach poodles how to fly"
-Run - I remember it from when I was younger but its not out on DVD or even video. has Patrick Dempsey (from Can't Buy Me Love).
-Session 9 - Excellent suspense/ thriller.
-Better Off Dead - (think its fairly known though) Great comedy
- But I'm A Cheerleader - Funny as Hell Comedy about a girl that realizes she is gay and gets sent to a camp that tries to make her straight, it even has Rupaul in it.

bread's done
Back