Your favorite PSX racers

DigitalSpace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The PlayStation had a number of good racing titles. Here's my favorites:

Gran Turismo 2 - I spent WAY too much time with this one, and have quite the garage and money to show for it.
RC de GO! - Jason Dvorak said it best in his review here.
Crash Team Racing - my favorite non-Nintendo kart racer.
Porsche Challenge - A few years before EA released Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed, Sony tried their hand at a Porsche exclusive racing title.
Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit - My favorite Need For Speed game on the PSX.
Test Drive 6 - The Test Drive license played second fiddle to Need For Speed, and while Test Drive 6 didn't change that, it was the shining moment for the series on the PSX.
Sled Storm - There are three snowmobile racing games on the PSX, and EA's arcade-styled racer is the best one.
NASCAR '98 Collector's Edition - To commemorate NASCAR's 50th Anniversary, EA released a special edition of NASCAR '98 with bonuses including Richard Petty and his trademark #43 car, and Darlington Raceway. The game was a Wal-Mart exclusive (pretty fitting if you ask me :lol: ) and included a medallion.

Wipeout XL - The best racer, period!
Wipeout/Wip3out - The predecessor and sequel to the best racer, period!
Rockman (Megaman) Battle Chase - A great character based kart racer

Ridge Racer Type 4- the best PS1 Ridge Racer game.
Need for Speed: High Stakes- loved the pink slip option in the game.
Test Drive 5- unlike Test Drive 4, this was easy to get into and just race.

[quote name='Chacrana']The absolute best PS1 racing game is R4: Ridge Racer Type 4. fucking awesome.[/quote]

I love that one, but I love Rage Racer, the game right before it even more.

- GT2 - played this for hundreds of hours.

- Rage Racer - at the time the tracks & graphics in this were insane.

- Wipeout XL - best soundtrack in a game ever.

- Rollcage - fun game with a great soundtrack.

I always loved NFS : High Stakes .
It was the first game I played on my PS2 , with the texture smoothing turned on , it was awesome .

R4: Ridge Racer Type 4!!

Intro for you guys...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXUGVf3Dd5Y[/media]

Still one of my all-time favorite intros.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Still one of my all-time favorite intros.[/quote]

I agree. Also, Wipeout XL & the Gran Turismo games were great.

Obviously GT and GT 2 especially are the best. I really liked the Test Drive games (4 and 5 at least, never played 6). Even though it was frustrating, I also like Jet Moto. I wonder why they haven't tried a Jet Moto game on PS2, I remember that was pretty heavily promoted on PS1 and must have sold pretty well.

O yeah, I consider them racers technically so Destruction Derby 1 and 2 were pretty fun.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Obviously GT and GT 2 especially are the best. I really liked the Test Drive games (4 and 5 at least, never played 6). Even though it was frustrating, I also like Jet Moto. I wonder why they haven't tried a Jet Moto game on PS2, I remember that was pretty heavily promoted on PS1 and must have sold pretty well.

O yeah, I consider them racers technically so Destruction Derby 1 and 2 were pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

They have, it's Jet X2O, nothing too, too special.

Wipeout XL hands down the best.

Also good Wipeout 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Gran Turismo, Rollcage, Crash Team Racing(I'm not sure if this counts as a racing game), and Sled Storm.

Well, I'm glad to say I finally have a copy of Ridge Racer Type 4. I've wanted to check that out for a while but wasn't able to find a complete copy.

I also found complete copies of Need For Speed II and Test Drive Off-Road 2 about a week ago. Hopefully those will be pretty fun.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Obviously GT and GT 2 especially are the best. I really liked the Test Drive games (4 and 5 at least, never played 6). Even though it was frustrating, I also like Jet Moto. I wonder why they haven't tried a Jet Moto game on PS2, I remember that was pretty heavily promoted on PS1 and must have sold pretty well.

O yeah, I consider them racers technically so Destruction Derby 1 and 2 were pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

Destruction Derby 2 is hands-down my favorite. Worst one is probably Hooters Road Trip. Ugh...

bread's done
Back