Your job and the web

2DMention

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
How does the web impact what you do at work? Does it make your job easier? Does it make your job possible?

As a purchaser, the web and email makes my job waaaay easier. It's much easier to buy things we need at work, for example, like screws. And email makes sending Purchase orders and getting things quoted much easier and faster.

I can't imagine how big of a pain in the ass alll this would be w/o the web and email.

It's crucial for me as a professor.

Doing research is so much easier in the internet area as I can quickly get the vast majority of scholarly articles in pdf format from the university library website instead of having to go find the volume in the stacks and make a photo copy of it.

I can e-mail colleagues around the world about projects we're working on. We can e-mail drafts of papers we're writing back and forth--or use cloud services like Dropbox with shared folders to store things we're working on.

We also now submit our articles to journals electronically rather than having to mail them in. Same with doing peer reviews of other's articles and so forth.

For teaching, the course websites make it easy to give students handouts to print out to bring to class, to provide readings, to post grades and copies of assignment sheets and the syllabus etc. E-mail provides a way for them to ask questions without having to come to my office and waste their time and mine for simple questions and so on.

So it's pretty essential. It is a double edged sword at times too though as the internet can be a distraction as I spend too much time goofing online and thus end up staying in the office later than I intended to finish my tasks that day.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's crucial for me as a professor.

Doing research is so much easier in the internet area as I can quickly get the vast majority of scholarly articles in pdf format from the university library website instead of having to go find the volume in the stacks and make a photo copy of it.

I can e-mail colleagues around the world about projects we're working on. We can e-mail drafts of papers we're writing back and forth--or use cloud services like Dropbox with shared folders to store things we're working on.

We also now submit our articles to journals electronically rather than having to mail them in. Same with doing peer reviews of other's articles and so forth.

For teaching, the course websites make it easy to give students handouts to print out to bring to class, to provide readings, to post grades and copies of assignment sheets and the syllabus etc. E-mail provides a way for them to ask questions without having to come to my office and waste their time and mine for simple questions and so on.

So it's pretty essential. It is a double edged sword at times too though as the internet can be a distraction as I spend too much time goofing online and thus end up staying in the office later than I intended to finish my tasks that day.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I was just getting out of college as the web was picking up. I can see how it would make a big impact on acedemia.

I couldn't work from home without the internet which means I'd have to live in my office so it is critical to me.

A bunch of what we sell is done on the website, not to mention I'm constantly checking up on dealers of our products to see if they're actually listing it, at what prices. Oh, and I also need to stay mildly up on gaming news for work, so the web is important too. Thank God for Al Gore.

helpful during break/planning periods for checking emails and consumerist and some cnn...but I always stay off kotaku or other gaming sites (sorry cag) because I know it's either monitored or BLOCKED :(

[quote name='2DMention']How does the web impact what you do at work? Does it make your job easier? Does it make your job possible?

As a purchaser, the web and email makes my job waaaay easier. It's much easier to buy things we need at work, for example, like screws. And email makes sending Purchase orders and getting things quoted much easier and faster.

I can't imagine how big of a pain in the ass alll this would be w/o the web and email.[/QUOTE]

I'm in procurement i.e. sourcing buying and supply chain managements with factories and customers all over the world.

One of the old timers at my job says they used to have to fax everything. My boss started the job in the days before excel...

I work on websites so the internet is vital to my job. And yet sometimes I wish the 'net would crash forever, if only to get me out of the job I'm in.

If I stick with computer science out of college I imagine I'll be googling solutions and pieces of code all the time.

Let's hope that doesn't happen though :cry:

Library Assistant: The web is used mildly. Almost as a last resort type thing. More or less to look up books in certain orders since our catalog doesn't do this for some strange reason. Although, it does help me when work is slow :)

[quote name='Msut77']I'm in procurement i.e. sourcing buying and supply chain managements with factories and customers all over the world.

One of the old timers at my job says they used to have to fax everything. My boss started the job in the days before excel...[/QUOTE]

I'm more of a purchasing agent for a 12 person company. We use excel for everything - no MRP system or database. It's all manual.

I literally could not do my job without the internet. I work publishing newsletters and designing websites for Health IT companies, who in turn couldn't do their job without the internet! Our phones are VOIP, we meet using web conferences, and we publish our press releases and newsletters through email.

Also, how would I get on CAG without the internet?

I'm a remote equity/futures trader, key word being remote. The internet allows me to trade from virtually anywhere. Without the internet, I'd have to actually work and trade from a trading floor.

bread's done
Back